What do you think about the recent step downs of successful

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:45 am

Another coach bites the dust, and why?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby COACHWEST » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:12 am

Sounded to me like it was a lack of support from parents......  Coach Starr takes these girls to state 2 years in a row and you can bet that the parents feel that he was just along for the ride.  I agree, when the team performs well, give credit to the girls, and when they do poorly, blame the coach,  but that just does not apply to this situation.

Someone once suggested to me that we now have athletes whose parents all competed when they were in high school.  Since they competed at one time, they all feel that they know something and what "should be done", therefore we now live in a society where coaches will be actively questioned by parents because they all want what is best for their child.  A few years ago, coaches were rarely questioned, but it is the norm now, which is why you will continue to see good coaches removing themselves from the profession, even though they have been the ones putting in the time at practice with ALL of the athletes trying to do what is best for everyone.

Best of luck Coach Starr.  Enjoy your family time.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoop_fan1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 am

the article in the paper said that parents had a lot to do with his decision.  he said he didn't have the support from a majority of the parents, and if he doesn't have the support from them, he can't see why he should continue coaching.

Now with that said, doesn't this event say a lot about the parents of players in this state?  I thought parents in this state were a little more laid back.  when a coach whose teams have made it to the state tourney both years under his control, I think it makes the people of that town look very, very selfish.  Give the guy some credit- I don't know the whole story, but it's ridiculous to hear a good coach make a statement like that about parents.  Kindred isn't the only town that has coaches who are on the brink of quitting because parents are pushing them to the edge.   the only reason the coaches are staying on is for the love of the game & the kids. 

Any parents out there who are reading this right now, please give coaches a break!!! THey put in more time & energy than anyone realizes.  If you think you know what is the best for the team, why don't you take the whistle?  Think about what you are doing before you call or go into a coaches office to talk about your kid, it might actually make the situation worse for your kid. 

Most of the tension between coaches/parents/players is when someone feels their kid should be receiving more playing time.  I am telling you that favoritism is a very, very rare event.  A coach wants to win, & at the VARSITY level, that is their goal, and the players on the floor are the ones who give the team the best chance to win.  I just have a hunch that in the Kindred situation, most of the problem was coming from player's parents who thought their kid should have been playing more.

I am not a coach, just a concerned fan of the game. 
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue May 01, 2007 4:16 pm

I observed Kindred once this year, at the state tournament. I thought they had possibly the most athletic team there.  I did ask myself, and others, what type of system they were running?  It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of rhyme or reason behind it, and it didn't put their girls in the best position on the floor.  I thought they were the biggest disappointed based on the talent i saw.  Now, I know I only have seen them play once, but that is just an opinion from a neutral observor. 
bigpoppakdog

Postby roughrider125 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:04 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:I observed Kindred once this year, at the state tournament. I thought they had possibly the most athletic team there.  I did ask myself, and others, what type of system they were running?  It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of rhyme or reason behind it, and it didn't put their girls in the best position on the floor.  I thought they were the biggest disappointed based on the talent i saw.  Now, I know I only have seen them play once, but that is just an opinion from a neutral observor. 

agree completely, many of the players did not feel he was good for their team and didn't provide structure like they wanted - including the starters and their parents, it was a general consesus across the board...that is pretty unusual when you have a winning team like kindred...there had to be reasons we don't know about
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu May 03, 2007 6:27 pm

yeah, its called a couple of parents who were upset that their other daughter wasn't starting.......and started undermining the coach from the beginning of the season....
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri May 04, 2007 4:23 am

boy I hope that that wasn't the case....nothing is worse than parents thinking their child is worth more than another.....biggest reason why if you look at the hoopster magazine at the beginning of the year you will find majority of the coaches with 1 to 2 years experience.....I believe there is a big difference between getting rid of a coach because of ability level and not playing someone(or should I say starting someone..????).  I would appreciate someone who knows that if this is true to print out my post and send it to them...if it was a legitimate complain that is different story, but If you are a pushy parent who is living your childhood through you kid be ashamed...you are not helpin your child, but setting them up for failure in the future when the real world doesn't allow mommy or daddy's opinion of how good you are decide your order on the food chain.  Ever wonder why this never happens in college?  Because the athletes there deserve to be on the floor...no mommy and daddy.....seems as though pushy parents are making their way all the way down to little league games....years ago you rarely saw a non-teacher coaching in sports..now it seems the norm....when their child is in the sport then  they want to coach, but as soon as they graduate then they leave...cycle repeats....seems more harm than good.....
bigpoppakdog

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri May 04, 2007 5:11 am

well, big poppa, i know it's true.......one of the benefits of coming from large family......i've got sources everywhere;); sorry about the question misprint, i was typing and reading about kyle steffes at the same time.....too much multi-tasking

sad, but true, about the coaching sitches, there have been others, especially in more recent years........um, breiland from richland, entzi from edgeley, del val from wop, i think stokes from jamestown left because of parent interference, at least partly....i know there's others.......brain foggy, not enough caffeine

one AD that i talked to said he was having trouble filling coaching spots with teachers and was having to rely more on outside coaches.....teachers don't want the extra hassles.....given the level of parent involvement, i don't blame them
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls