Shaunna Knife to BOTNO

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby cdub1 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:05 pm

fbinnd wrote:No way cdub.  You back up your argument.  You stated that kids have a better chance of going D1 when they are on winning teams.  A few different people in this thread have already challenged that.  Instead of you picking apart every D1 kid we've ever had, you tell us why transferring to a winning team will get you better recognition for college ball. 

The first path towards recognition is getting your name in the press.  And the bigger the press, the better.  So, staying in Belcourt and being the standout on a team that will be covered by the Bismarck, Minot, Williston, Dickinson, and Jamestown press is way better for recognition than being covered by the Bottineau, Rugby, and various county press.  Not dissing any quality of those outlets, but the circulation/range/viewership of the big city press is better for recognition.

If Knife is after exposure, she's better off in Belcourt.  If exposure is not the key, the answer is most likely wins and losses, which is no reason to transfer. 

BTW:  Justin Anderson of Valley City played D1 basketball with Shaquille O'Neal at LSU.  No state tournament.  Jada Anderson of Valley City played D1 basketball at Maryland.  No state tournament.  These were 20 and 15 years ago, well before the proliferation of the internet.  Jenna Lemnus of Enderlin is playing D1 basketball at NDSU.  No state tournament.  D1 doesn't mean Big 12 Freshman of the Year, like Jeff Boschee.  D1 means making the team at the highest level of college basketball we have.  Boschee's success means he was a star at D1.  Making the team is enough to be a D1 player.

i know what it means to go d1 im not stupid i was curious as to who you could name what i am sayin is if i am a college coach i look at it like this

player a 14-0 i think i said 20 points 10 rebounds looks better than

player b 2-12 with 20 points and 10 rebounds i wasn't arguing purely about knife i was arguin as to an overall player

talkin about knife now she will probably get 18-22 points 8-12 rebounds and most likely win state impressive but if she stays in belcourt she would probably get about 20 and 10 not go to state and big time coaches are not going to know about her and really how many coaches do you think come to random games in north dakota you only come if you have already heard about the player or it is a state tournament

just my take on it

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Please tell me you don't believe that Knife is going to get those numbers playing at Bottineau.......not with Roemmich, Peltier, Aide, and Geiszler all returning.....She's playing summer ball with ECI; that's where she'll get noticed......it wouldn't matter if she was still at Belcourt or not......her exposure will come in the summer stuff, just like most of the north dakota kids; she could play for the Ashley Aces and still get highly recruited by getting into AAU or ECI and doing well there......I agree with fbinnd, D1 recruitment is not dependent on playing for a great team or even a state team.....I have two kids playing AAU ball right now........we've been to numerous exposure events........i've listened to the coaches, i've asked questions cuz things have changed since i was a junior college coach; what they care most about is the kid's fundamentals, their passing skills, their defensive ability, their team play, etc., they pay some attention to points but not as much as you'd expect, and they definitely don't care about the kid's HS team's winning percentage; they look for heart, desire on the court; playing hard even if your team is being beat......in short, all the things that can be developed even if your team is not a state champion, region or even district champ.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BBall dominator » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:40 pm

I would have to say I agree w/ everyone but cdub thats why college coaches and scouts have their jobs not because they have the internet and read and watch highlights they go out and watch these kids and find them summer basketball is where ND has to start
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fbinnd » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Luv makes a good point.  What is a college coach going to think of her now?  Going gets tough one year, is Knife on her way out, transferring someplace where she can pick up some wins?  Does she put her own success ahead of the programs to the point where her wins will mean more than her contributions to the program?

Cdub, 20 points and 10 boards in the WDA means way more than 20 points and 10 boards against someone Bottineau is going to mop the floor with.  Again, this move is not about college.  This is about not losing.  It doesn't show alot of heart.  This college thing is nothing more than an empty justification, and maybe the product of recruiting.  Again, perfect example of why the NDHSAA was 100% correct in changing the transfer rule.
fbinnd

Postby VolsFan3 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 pm

I don't think anyone knows why she moved to botno. The real answer is probably just in their family. When you talk to shaunna knife she doesn't really tell you anything soo Recruitment is not going on..The losing is not the reason and so on whatever you guys keep going on about.
VolsFan3

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:26 am

This discussion got started because she moved to botno and not the family......when any kid begins school in another district by the date needed to get 90 school days in so they can be eligible, it looks suspicious.......if the family moves into the school district, there's no need to be enrolled in a new district by April because you live in the district......and especially in the last few years a bunch of kids have jumped programs without their families......also to the recruitment question, there's an old adage, "where's there's smoke, there's fire"------now i didn't say she was recruited, so don't jump me, but someone out there figured out the exact date needed for her to be eligible.....if you're not moving for sports reasons, the 90 day rule shouldn't matter.......you can still play JV, varsity play is the only thing limited, once 90 is reached, you have almost half the season.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fbinnd » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:32 am

There's recruiting, and then there's "recruiting".  Recruiting involves a coach calling or visiting a player and actively asking that player to join their squad.  At the HS level, this, of course, would be illegal.

"Recruiting" is a group of parents that see a player they would like to have, a player who may be unsatisfied with their present situation, and that group of parents goes and talks with that player's parents.  The conversation usually includes such phrases as, "Boy, your son/daughter would sure look good in a (insert favorite team's nickname here) uniform.", or, "We could sure put him/her to good use in (insert town's name or school's name here).", or so on.

During "recruiting", the coach is usually vaguelly aware that something is taking place, but stays at a great enough distance to keep his hands clean, in case Sherm Sylling comes a callin'. 

The result of "recruiting" is usually a player transferring in to sit 90 days before being eligible to play.  Hmmm, sound familiar?

Or, you could be like Jeremy Engelhardt of LaMoure back in 96-97.  Play football in LaMoure, wrestle for Napoleon, and move back to LaMoure for track.  Surprised noone has ever gone snooping around that state title Napoleon won by one point over Watford City.

Face it, ND athletics is corrupt, and getting worse by the season.  The whole thing cuts like a "Knife".
Last edited by fbinnd on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
fbinnd

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:03 am

heard it, seen it, amen
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:04 am

fbinnd wrote:There's recruiting, and then there's "recruiting".  Recruiting involves a coach calling or visiting a player and actively asking that player to join their squad.  At the HS level, this, of course, would be illegal.

"Recruiting" is a group of parents that see a player they would like to have, a player who may be unsatisfied with their present situation, and that group of parents goes and talks with that player's parents.  The conversation usually includes such phrases as, "Boy, your son/daughter would sure look good in a (insert favorite team's nickname here) uniform.", or, "We could sure put him/her to good use in (insert town's name or school's name here).", or so on.

During "recruiting", the coach is usually vaguelly aware that something is taking place, but stays at a great enough distance to keep his hands clean, in case Sherm Sylling comes a callin'. 

The result of "recruiting" is usually a player transferring in to sit 90 days before being eligible to play.  Hmmm, sound familiar?

Or, you could be like Jeremy Engelhardt of LaMoure back in 96-97.  Play football in LaMoure, wrestle for Napoleon, and move back to LaMoure for track.  Surprised noone has ever gone snooping around that state title Napoleon won by one point over Watford City.

Face it, ND athletics is corrupt, and getting worse by the season.  The whole thing cuts like a "Knife".

Do you think this only happens in North Dakota? Big name players in every state always change schools. It has always been like that. There is nothing wrong with parents telling other parents to bring there kids there. As long as the coach or school isn't doing it, it's perfectly legal.

What is there to snoop about Napoleons wrestling title? There wasn't anything illegally done. His dad was the one that wanted him to wrestle for Napoleon, not the Napoleon coaches.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fbinnd » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:15 am

His dad lived in Steele, and he didn't live with his dad.  He may not have lived with his mom either.  Rules state that you must live with a legal guardian, or you are not eligible.  Ineligible means his matches don't count.  His matches don't count equals about 20 lost points for Napoleon (he finished 2nd, and had a pin or two in there).  20 lost points for Napoleon=state title to Watford City.

There was another Engelhardt, Kyle, that lived with his dad in Steele, and the story is that, even that wrestling co-op was shaky.  Kyle got second also. 

Yeah, there's some snooping to be done.  BTW, the AD or Super at Watford at the time was......Sherm Sylling.  He became the Exec. Sec. of the HSAA that same year.  What a coincidence!!!
fbinnd

Postby cdub1 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:21 am

dominationSCS wrote:I would have to say I agree w/ everyone but cdub thats why college coaches and scouts have their jobs not because they have the internet and read and watch highlights they go out and watch these kids and find them summer basketball is where ND has to start

no matter what i said i highly doubt you would agree with me

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:22 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:Please tell me you don't believe that Knife is going to get those numbers playing at Bottineau.......not with Roemmich, Peltier, Aide, and Geiszler all returning.....She's playing summer ball with ECI; that's where she'll get noticed......it wouldn't matter if she was still at Belcourt or not......her exposure will come in the summer stuff, just like most of the north dakota kids; she could play for the Ashley Aces and still get highly recruited by getting into AAU or ECI and doing well there......I agree with fbinnd, D1 recruitment is not dependent on playing for a great team or even a state team.....I have two kids playing AAU ball right now........we've been to numerous exposure events........i've listened to the coaches, i've asked questions cuz things have changed since i was a junior college coach; what they care most about is the kid's fundamentals, their passing skills, their defensive ability, their team play, etc., they pay some attention to points but not as much as you'd expect, and they definitely don't care about the kid's HS team's winning percentage; they look for heart, desire on the court; playing hard even if your team is being beat......in short, all the things that can be developed even if your team is not a state champion, region or even district champ.

curious what coaches have you been talking to?

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mr. Me Too » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 am

Recruiting or "Recruiting" by either one has not taken place...Shaunna's parents made the decision on her movement for certain reasons, this is not about wanting to win more games...if she wanted to win more games she would've went to a Class A school where winning is a tradition...like i said before Shaunna didn't want to leave Belcourt she was doing fine, they were slowly improving and slowly gettin' rid of losing monkey on there back...But all of you really don't know the reason unless ur really close with shaunna and family, so all of you need to stop sayin' she wanted to win more games so she went to Botno, which is definitely not the reason for her movement but stop makin' accusations unless you really know whats going on...You all act like she just left to play basketball for Bottineau, when she's an all-stater in XC which she accels at and is prolly one of her better sports she particpates in and she also is a State Qualifier in Track in the 800 and 1600...so why are u all just arguin' about her just wanting to leave to play basketball...maybe she wanted to leave to accel in Running or be a individual state XC champion for a good running program...you just see her and hear about her being good in basketball and you all forget about what else she's good at and drop the other two and focus on one...if your gonna argue about one, you might as well argue about the other two because believe me she's a top dog in the other 2 just as well as basketball...but then again i said she didn't leave for losing purposes, she left for certain reasons...
Last edited by Mr. Me Too on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:41 am

well said!!!  Closed
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls