Miss Basketball Poll

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Your pick for Miss Basketball?

Poll runs till Thu Jun 16, 2044 8:11 pm

Kirstie Gillett, Dakota Prairie
32%
Jessica Kielpinski, Mandan
35%
Andrea LaFrance, Bismarck Century
4%
Abby Reiter, Hatton-Northwood
14%
Kayla Schmidt, Beulah
12%
Katelyn Steffan, Dickinson
4%

Total votes : 57

Postby Bearsfan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:44 am

As much as we all want our favorite class B girl to win...... I'm afraid that it just isn't going to happen.  How do you vote against 26 scholarships from division 1 schools.... its gonna be Jessica Keilpinski.
Last edited by Bearsfan on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearsfan

Postby Watcher 007 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:04 am

I second that statement!!!

Watcher 007
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoop_fan1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:34 am

Bearsfan wrote:As much as we all want our favorite class B girl to win...... I'm afraid that it just isn't going to happen.  How do you vote against 26 scholarships from division 1 schools.... its gonna be Jessica Keilpinski.

what do you know about her?  I know mandan is a power in class A, & for someone to shine like that on a team that good, she must be special. 

I know very little, if anyone can shed some light, it would be great.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bearsfan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:38 am

hoop_fan1 wrote:
Bearsfan wrote:As much as we all want our favorite class B girl to win...... I'm afraid that it just isn't going to happen.  How do you vote against 26 scholarships from division 1 schools.... its gonna be Jessica Keilpinski.

what do you know about her?  I know mandan is a power in class A, & for someone to shine like that on a team that good, she must be special. 

Oops..... I guess I was wrong it was 27 full ride scholarships to play basketball at Division 1... here is a quote from the news awhile ago....

"Amundson has seen a lot of talent come and go while coaching at Mandan and what he sees in Kielpinski was also seen by 27 Division One universities from around the country who offered her a full-ride scholarship."

She has been involved in 4 class A championships for Mandan in a row and going for big #5!  That alone is pretty impressive.
Last edited by Bearsfan on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearsfan

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:52 am

She's one of the best I've seen at catching the ball and scoring in traffic.  She'll hit everything from 15' in.  She's strong, they list her at 6'1 and she's all of that.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:54 am

I don't know all of the schools but I think she had it narrowed down to San Diego State, Minnesota, New Mexico and maybe another one?.  New Mexico was pre-season #18 but have since dropped out of the top 25.  I know they've been to the NCAA tournament the last 5 years.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bearsfan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 am

SCC wrote:
Bearsfan wrote:
hoop_fan1 wrote:

Oops..... I guess I was wrong it was 27 full ride scholarships to play basketball at Division 1... here is a quote from the news awhile ago....

"Amundson has seen a lot of talent come and go while coaching at Mandan and what he sees in Kielpinski was also seen by 27 Division One universities from around the country who offered her a full-ride scholarship."

She has been involved in 4 class A championships for Mandan in a row and going for big #5!

What were the names of some of these schools?  Is New Mexico a basketball power?

22 - 8 and #2 in the MWC standings.  Just a few of the colleges.... San Deigo State, U of Washington, Colorado State, Cleveland State, Minnesota.... just some quick ones.
Last edited by Bearsfan on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearsfan

Postby baller09 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:01 pm

the stats were in the Tribune today and by the looks of it. it looks like Abby Reiter has the best stats to me but i think that Kielpinski will get it because of her name and publicity she has gotten. dont get me wrong she is a good player but does she deserve it?
baller09
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bballplayer09 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:35 pm

I agree with that. I do think that Abby Reiter is a very good basketball player and may deserve to get it, but like you said do to the fact she doesn't have as much publicaty or as much scholarship offers she will not get it. But i could be proved wrong.
bballplayer09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby basketball » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:36 pm

baller09 wrote:the stats were in the Tribune today and by the looks of it. it looks like Abby Reiter has the best stats to me but i think that Kielpinski will get it because of her name and publicity she has gotten. dont get me wrong she is a good player but does she deserve it?

I would totally agree with that.  Abby Reiter definitely has the stats with almost 2,000 points and over 1,000 rebounds.  But yet again, I think Kielpinski will get it just because of who she is.
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:52 pm

baller09 wrote:the stats were in the Tribune today and by the looks of it. it looks like Abby Reiter has the best stats to me but i think that Kielpinski will get it because of her name and publicity she has gotten. dont get me wrong she is a good player but does she deserve it?

You're kidding right? Does she deserve it?

She's the best player in the state and she did it against Class A teams night in and night out. She's about to win her fourth state championship, which is amazing. Stats are deceiving and never more in the case of Class A vs. Class B.

She'll get it because of her name and the publicity she's gotten? She's better than her sister and I'm going to guess being the Class A state tournament MVP as a SOPHOMORE was a pretty good indication of what was to come. I think it would be an injustice if she wasn't voted as Miss Basketball. That won't happen, cause the media knows she's the best player.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Wildcat wrote:

She's the best player in the state and she did it against Class A teams night in and night out. She's about to win her fourth state championship, which is amazing. Stats are deceiving and never more in the case of Class A vs. Class B.

She'll get it because of her name and the publicity she's gotten? She's better than her sister and I'm going to guess being the Class A state tournament MVP as a SOPHOMORE was a pretty good indication of what was to come. I think it would be an injustice if she wasn't voted as Miss Basketball. That won't happen, cause the media knows she's the best player.

She also only plays about 18 minutes a game because they are usually  so far ahead of their opponents.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Strike3? » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:47 pm

Wildcat wrote:

i totally agree with you wildcat but i might be wrong but im almost positive that she well be going for her 5th state championship...she was on the team that won it when she was an 8th grader.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller23 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:40 pm

I think Kirstie Gillett ha a VERY good chance of getting it. Look at it this way she just got Class B player of year. So i think she has a chance too! But so does Abby Reiter
baller23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfbfan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:48 pm

First off, I'm from a Class B school. Now, having said that, there is NO way anybody but Jessica deserves Ms.Basketball. I know those other girls are great players and great individuals, but just look at what Jessica has done since she was an 8th grader. Her numbers are staggering. If you want to start throwing stats out, compare those others with her stats since then. Also remember that Mandan plays some very good schools outside the state of ND. As much as I care about Class B, I cannot see anyone more deserving of this award than Jessica. Hands down, no question.
ndfbfan

Postby Carl08 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:15 pm

If Kelsh were on any other team from Mandan would she have a chance at the award?  I watched her play today and wow...she's good.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bearsfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:06 am

ndfbfan wrote:First off, I'm from a Class B school. Now, having said that, there is NO way anybody but Jessica deserves Ms.Basketball. I know those other girls are great players and great individuals, but just look at what Jessica has done since she was an 8th grader. Her numbers are staggering. If you want to start throwing stats out, compare those others with her stats since then. Also remember that Mandan plays some very good schools outside the state of ND. As much as I care about Class B, I cannot see anyone more deserving of this award than Jessica. Hands down, no question.

I completely agree with you!  And to add to that, she is the leader on the team that is rated in the SI top 25 and thats a first for a team from ND.
Bearsfan

Postby baller09 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:43 am

yes that is true i also agree now that i think about it a little bit more stats dont always mean everything...
baller09
NDPreps Rookie

Postby foreversioux » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:26 am

Kirstie led her team to the Regionals all of the past 4 years.  DP had a 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finish in those years.  Only her sophmore year did they lose out in the first round and she was coming back from her acl tear.  DP did not make it to state, granted, but their record the last 2 years is 41-9.  And 3 of the games Kirstie was out with an ankle prob.  Kirstie had 10 points and 7 rebounds in the Fordville/Lankin game this past regional trip.  You can't call that a "choke".  Half her scoring average but with double/triple pressure also.

One of Kirstie's highest scoring games this winter was against New Rockford.  They made it to their regionals also.  Couldn't be that wimpy of a team.  Kirstie also had 25 against Drayton St. Thomas in reg season and 23 in regionals.  She was the high scorer of both teams in the Hillsboro matchup. Against Hatton Northwood she had double doubles.  28 against MayPort in the district opener.  All these teams made it to their Regional Tourney.  IMO not just scoring/rebounding against the weaker teams. 
foreversioux

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:34 pm

PatriotsForever wrote:
baller23 wrote:I think Kirstie Gillett ha a VERY good chance of getting it. Look at it this way she just got Class B player of year. So i think she has a chance too! But so does Abby Reiter

Where did KG ever lead her team to, she chokes in big game. Reiter took her team to state as a sophomore.  You can check the records, in DP biG games KG was a non factor, the stats dont lie.  **** Its easy  to score big points against weaker teams and players but a GREAT player steps up in the big games.

To PatriotsForever:

I don't think Kirstie has ever choked in a big game, or has ever appeared to be scared.  She is going to UND next year, & I know for a fact Roebuck would sense something like that in a player fairly quickly.  He would then move on to other talent.  I value your opinion on her, but IMO, you are WAY OFF!!! 

All others who agree w/ me, please feel free to speak up!
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the unknown » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:29 am

i deffinetly agree with you! kirstie has never chocked! PLEASE partirot fan! you are pathetic!.....im guessing you are only against her because you are from MPCG and she has pretty much sense she was an 8th grader should you guys WHATS UP!!!...
the unknown

Postby baller23 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Hahah ...funny PatriotForever!! You just crack me up!! You think a so called "choke" is a player who averages 21 points a game.... i'd hate to see what a MPCG girl is called...whoof i dont know if i even wont to here it! So next time you want to call a player who averages 21+ points per game...id think twice. Kirstie has lead her team since she was in the 9th grade!!
Last edited by baller23 on Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baller23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby demonfan74 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:33 pm

I believe Roebuck would not recruit her if she wasn't talented.  I have never seen her play, but from my understanding she is a very good player.  I have only heard and read great things about her!  

However, I don't think the poll was a very good indication on who the best players are.  I understand this is in the class B forum, and therefore is susceptible to more biased posts regarding class B players.  But steffan, a 6'4" player who had very good numbers, didn't receive one vote.  Along with steffan, lafrance - a UND recruit who did everything her team needed her to do, didn't receive any votes either.  Yet, both of them were tied with gillett for second. 

I'm not trying to steal votes from anyone; I guess I just wanted to let everyone know that if you haven't seen either of those two players play, they are fun to watch and you better check out the lion's game! 

Steffan had great range for her size and would sometimes bring the ball up the floor.  LaFrance was a special player who had great hands, was an excellent passer, and could jump out of the gym (estimated vertical: 25" or more). 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ladyballer11 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:12 pm

i completely agree...had it been a poll under the "class A" heading I'm guessing that LaFrance and Steffan would have received much more votes considering they are both amazing athletes!
ladyballer11

Postby PatriotsForever » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:50 pm

foreversioux wrote:Kirstie led her team to the Regionals all of the past 4 years.  DP had a 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finish in those years.  Only her sophmore year did they lose out in the first round and she was coming back from her acl tear.  DP did not make it to state, granted, but their record the last 2 years is 41-9.  And 3 of the games Kirstie was out with an ankle prob.  Kirstie had 10 points and 7 rebounds in the Fordville/Lankin game this past regional trip.  You can't call that a "choke".  Half her scoring average but with double/triple pressure also.

One of Kirstie's highest scoring games this winter was against New Rockford.  They made it to their regionals also.  Couldn't be that wimpy of a team.  Kirstie also had 25 against Drayton St. Thomas in reg season and 23 in regionals.  She was the high scorer of both teams in the Hillsboro matchup. Against Hatton Northwood she had double doubles.  28 against MayPort in the district opener.  All these teams made it to their Regional Tourney.  IMO not just scoring/rebounding against the weaker teams. 

So  is kirstie the whole team, face the facts, how did she do against midway minto when you finished second last year, how did she do against parkriver,fl this year, I agree shes not the whole team, but you talk like she is. I would be very po'd if i was  reading this as a teammate of hers.  The talk around Bismarck at the  boys class B  was the fact the DP Girls didn't get the job done,,,,,, All the coaches talk about how they would have loved to have had a team like  DP girls to coach(they come only once or in your case, twice, in a life time)  Could have been two state championships.  So you can blame it on the players  or maybe the coach. He might be the Guy that couldn't get the job done.

PatriotsForever
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Girls