Bottineau vs. New Salem

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby tingly » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:44 pm

Bottineau 58, New Salem 30
Associated Press
MINOT, N.D. - Kayla Roemmich scored 16 points and grabbed 7 rebounds as Bottineau rolled over New Salem 58-30 on Saturday to win its second straight title at the North Dakota state Class B girls basketball tournament.

Bottineau (26-2) turned the tables on the Holsteins, holding them to just 19 points through 3 quarters while building a 36-19 lead.

New Salem (25-2) had relied on defense in its first two wins at state, allowing just 22 and 39 points in wins over Midway-Minto and New Town.

But Bottineau flexed its defensive muscle by holding the Holsteins to just 20% shooting and 13 points in the first half. And things didn't get any better for New Salem in the second half as the Holsteins finished the game shooting only 17% from the field.

"It's so awesome. You don't even know the feeling right now," said Mandee Keplin, who had 10 points and 5 rebounds and was voted tournament most valuable player.

The victory gave the Stars their third state title, following last year's win and another in 1999.

New Salem finished second for the second time. It also took second at the 1993 tournament and placed seventh and eighth in the last two state tournaments.

"We started it together and ended it together. It may not have been pretty, but we were in it together," said Mary Tellman, who scored 7 points for the Holsteins.

No player from New Salem reached double figures in scoring. Teryl Norton had 9 points and Samantha Lauf added 8.

Bottineau took charge in the second quarter. It stretched an 8-6 lead to double digits and settled for a 22-13 lead at halftime. It would have been worse but Samantha Lauf dropped in 2 of her 8 points with 5 seconds left.

Norton hit a 3-pointer early in the third quarter to make it 22-16, but it was all Bottineau from there.

Keplin's buzzer-beating 3-pointer at the end of the third quarter made it 36-19.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:05 pm

k this has nothing to do with ND bball but its kinda interesting.  Im in Omaha Nebraska right now and was watchin the last few seconds on the state championship and a girl banked in a 3 ball from about 25 feet to give her team the lead for the first time in the game the announcer said.  when they paused the replay she got it of with 0.1 second.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby tingly » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Stars reign supreme

Bottineau senior guard Mandee Keplin was the first to get the standing ovation. It was richly deserved.

Keplin, who was named the Most Valuable Player at the 2007 North Dakota State Girls Class B Basketball Tournament, got a big huge hug from head coach Mike Forsberg. When she sat down, she reclined all the way back in her chair and took a deep breath.

Mission accomplished — again.

Different year, same results. Add you own cliche here, but however you say it, it all equals the best team in the state hails from Bottineau.

This one might be a little sweeter than last year’s championship.

The Stars were No. 1 all season long last year and were an overwhelming favorite coming into the tournament. Take nothing away from that team, they might be the best team in the history of the state, but this one wasn’t such a lock.

Take a look at the first two games.

Bottineau needed a late basket from Kayla Roemmich to get out of the first round with a win over Steele-Dawson, 49-47. The Stars held off a late charge from Bowman County in the semifinals to earn a 50-40 win in the semifinals. Then, coming into the championship, the Stars were officially the underdog as New Salem entered the tournament as the state’s top-ranked team.

While the scenarios were different, the results were the same in the championship.

Bottineau makes you look bad. They make good players look like average players. I was told by a couple different people that it wasn’t the same Holsteins team that won their semifinal game. I agree. But it has more to do with how the Stars play than how the other team plays.

Hats off to Forsberg for getting his team ready for just about anything other teams throw at it. In the championship, Bottineau increased its lead while Stars’ Roemmich was sitting out with foul trouble — and they did it with patience. Everyone thinks the team is a run-and-gun, layup only team, but the stretch in the second quarter proved Bottineau can play whatever style you throw at them.

If there is any doubt about the best team (and the best region while we are talking about it), it was squashed with a third-quarter Stars’ run.

I was pretty happy to see Keplin’s name at the top of the balloting list. She is the perfect MVP. Unassuming, if not a little quiet until it is time to make a play. The silent assassin, Keplin had a great tournament and deserves the accolade.

Speaking of deserving something, the crowd that showed up Saturday should extend their collective arms, bend elbows and pat backs repeatedly. I think the Minot State University Dome officials had to be contemplating opening the upper deck. The lower bowl was nearly filled and there was overflow along just about every rail. Great turnout.

I know that it became a tough last two days for the Stars with the death of team friend, but relish in your accomplishment. You earned it. Congratulations.

(Michael Linnell is the sports editor at The Minot Daily News. He can be reached by e-mail at mlinnell@minotdailynews.com)
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:11 pm

tingly wrote:Stars reign supreme

Bottineau senior guard Mandee Keplin was the first to get the standing ovation. It was richly deserved.

Keplin, who was named the Most Valuable Player at the 2007 North Dakota State Girls Class B Basketball Tournament, got a big huge hug from head coach Mike Forsberg. When she sat down, she reclined all the way back in her chair and took a deep breath.

Mission accomplished ? again.

Different year, same results. Add you own cliche here, but however you say it, it all equals the best team in the state hails from Bottineau.

This one might be a little sweeter than last year?s championship.

The Stars were No. 1 all season long last year and were an overwhelming favorite coming into the tournament. Take nothing away from that team, they might be the best team in the history of the state, but this one wasn?t such a lock.

Bottineau needed a late basket from Kayla Roemmich to get out of the first round with a win over Steele-Dawson, 49-47. The Stars held off a late charge from Bowman County in the semifinals to earn a 50-40 win in the semifinals. Then, coming into the championship, the Stars were officially the underdog as New Salem entered the tournament as the state?s top-ranked team.

While the scenarios were different, the results were the same in the championship.

Bottineau makes you look bad. They make good players look like average players. I was told by a couple different people that it wasn?t the same Holsteins team that won their semifinal game. I agree. But it has more to do with how the Stars play than how the other team plays.

Hats off to Forsberg for getting his team ready for just about anything other teams throw at it. In the championship, Bottineau increased its lead while Stars? Roemmich was sitting out with foul trouble ? and they did it with patience. Everyone thinks the team is a run-and-gun, layup only team, but the stretch in the second quarter proved Bottineau can play whatever style you throw at them.

If there is any doubt about the best team (and the best region while we are talking about it), it was squashed with a third-quarter Stars? run.

I was pretty happy to see Keplin?s name at the top of the balloting list. She is the perfect MVP. Unassuming, if not a little quiet until it is time to make a play. The silent assassin, Keplin had a great tournament and deserves the accolade.

Speaking of deserving something, the crowd that showed up Saturday should extend their collective arms, bend elbows and pat backs repeatedly. I think the Minot State University Dome officials had to be contemplating opening the upper deck. The lower bowl was nearly filled and there was overflow along just about every rail. Great turnout.

I know that it became a tough last two days for the Stars with the death of team friend, but relish in your accomplishment. You earned it. Congratulations.

(Michael Linnell is the sports editor at The Minot Daily News. He can be reached by e-mail at mlinnell@minotdailynews.com)

linnell you homer
rep

Postby basketball4life » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:57 am

Does anyone have the story on this??
basketball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbjay » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:03 pm

There was a girl from Westhope who died in a car accident on her way down to watch them play..from what I hear, the team knew her well off the basketball court as well as on.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:32 pm

rep wrote:

The Stars were No. 1 all season long last year and were an overwhelming favorite coming into the tournament. Take nothing away from that team, they might be the best team in the history of the state, but this one wasn?t such a lock.

Bottineau needed a late basket from Kayla Roemmich to get out of the first round with a win over Steele-Dawson, 49-47. The Stars held off a late charge from Bowman County in the semifinals to earn a 50-40 win in the semifinals. Then, coming into the championship, the Stars were officially the underdog as New Salem entered the tournament as the state?s top-ranked team.

Bottineau makes you look bad. They make good players look like average players. I was told by a couple different people that it wasn?t the same Holsteins team that won their semifinal game. I agree. But it has more to do with how the Stars play than how the other team plays.

Hats off to Forsberg for getting his team ready for just about anything other teams throw at it. In the championship, Bottineau increased its lead while Stars? Roemmich was sitting out with foul trouble ? and they did it with patience. Everyone thinks the team is a run-and-gun, layup only team, but the stretch in the second quarter proved Bottineau can play whatever style you throw at them.

If there is any doubt about the best team (and the best region while we are talking about it), it was squashed with a third-quarter Stars? run.

I was pretty happy to see Keplin?s name at the top of the balloting list. She is the perfect MVP. Unassuming, if not a little quiet until it is time to make a play. The silent assassin, Keplin had a great tournament and deserves the accolade.

linnell you homer

Was he even at the same game i was at?

First off, where was the overflowing along every rail??? There were seats all over the place in bunches. Yes it was much fuller then the other games but it was no where near standing room only like he makes it sound. The sections on the side lines at the very end of each side had plenty of seats.

Secondly, New Salem got "Mustang" disease. They had open layup after open layup and could not get them to fall. Yes bottineau played well defenively overall but New Salem was definately not the same team and missed several easy opportunities they capatitalized on earlier in the tournament.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Y-not Daily » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:47 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
rep wrote:

linnell you homer

First off, where was the overflowing along every rail??? There were seats all over the place in bunches. Yes it was much fuller then the other games but it was no where near standing room only like he makes it sound. The sections on the side lines at the very end of each side had plenty of seats.

Secondly, New Salem got "Mustang" disease. They had open layup after open layup and could not get them to fall. Yes bottineau played well defenively overall but New Salem was definately not the same team and missed several easy opportunities they capatitalized on earlier in the tournament.

So you're basically saying that Midway-Minto and New Salem are a bunch of pathetic chokers? I don't think you should be blaming M-M for having a poor showing at the tournament just because they made you look like you don't know what you're talking about.
Last edited by Y-not Daily on Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y-not Daily

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:17 pm

Y-not Daily wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
rep wrote:

linnell you homer

So you're basically saying that Midway-Minto and New Salem are a bunch of pathetic chokers? I don't think you should be blaming M-M for having a poor showing at the tournament just because they made you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Where in any of that did I say anything about anyone choking???? Where did I blame M-M at all for anything??? I simply made the statement that New Salem unfortunately had the same problem in the title game as M-M had the whole tournament. Sometimes the shots dont fall and to compound that the harder you try to compensate the worse it can get. Its the classic quicksand effect. I think everyone would agree M-M didnt shoot the ball the way they are capable of or else they wouldnt have made it to the title game last year and then made it back again this year to State. I believe I wasnt the only one who picked M-M to win it all. Infact quite a few others did as well.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:07 am

I did have M-M in the title game (big mistake).  But that's how it goes sometimes.  I did however redeem myself a little bit with picking the state champ.  Bottineau has a great program and is a model for the rest of the state.  a very fun team to watch and i will expect to see them at the tourney again next year( although Minot BR, Kenmare, etc. would like to say something about that!!!) 

As for New Salem, watching them wasn't that exciting IMO.  They just do lots of things right that go unnoticed.  They had a great leader in Norton, & deserves a lot of the credit for that team getting to where they did.  If they played that game again tomorrow, I doubt Bottineau would win by the same margin, but it wouldn't be a nail biter either.  We all can talk about how good we think some teams are, but the fact is, Bottineau has spanked almost every team they've played the last couple years. 
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:06 am

Norton for New Salem, what an absolute gutsy performance the whole tournament. You could tell her feet were absolutely KILLING her. But she gave it everything she possibly could give. She showed several times she wanted to go to an extra gear in transition on both offense and defense but it just wasnt there or hurt too much.

Also read in the recap from the Saturday games in the GF Herald that Kristina Schuster for MM was playing with a minor knee injury that she sopposedly suffored late in the regional title game. They kept that under wraps well. I know Alphson strained her reconstructed knee late in the regional first round game, was advised to not play, and basically said i am playing but I hadnt heard about Schusters injury.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby gobison21 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:37 am

Norton also came down with the flu on saturday, which is why she didn't look 100% in the title game.
gobison21
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hoop_fan1 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:29 pm

SCC wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:Norton for New Salem, what an absolute gutsy performance the whole tournament. You could tell her feet were absolutely KILLING her. But she gave it everything she possibly could give. She showed several times she wanted to go to an extra gear in transition on both offense and defense but it just wasnt there or hurt too much.

Also read in the recap from the Saturday games in the GF Herald that Kristina Schuster for MM was playing with a minor knee injury that she sopposedly suffored late in the regional title game. They kept that under wraps well. I know Alphson strained her reconstructed knee late in the regional first round game, was advised to not play, and basically said i am playing but I hadnt heard about Schusters injury.

You could see Schuster grimace at times.

good comment.  I also saw that statement about schuster's knee- never heard about that until now.  if alphson was also suffering, that explains a few things.  M-M is not that deep, & taking those two teeth out of the gear would definitely make things slip a little.  Interesting!  Norton w/ the flu?  I hope this info is 1st hand.

Comments?
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:02 am

Didnt hear about Norton having the flu, but you could tell in every game she was a physical train wreck and preformed rather well considering your feet are the lifeline to a basketball player.

Thats why Alphson was only able to play in stretches of about 3 minutes. She hurt it in the third quarter of the H-N game. Imediately went down to the floor and wasnt able to put much weight on it at all. After being evaluated she kept playing basically out of necesity but was very noticeably hobeled. They were not expeting her to play the rest of the regional because of swelling and stiffness but apparently did an extensive amount of rehab to get it loose to be able to play. She clearly didnt have her legs for 3 point shooting (which is her role) the rest of the way.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:04 pm

rep wrote:

linnell you homer

I hope this is a joke because if New Salem had won it, he would have written a column about them. Just because the team that won it happens to be in his coverage area, doesn't mean he deserves to be called a homer.

By the way, what is it with people on here preaching about how Midway-Minto and New Salem lost, and Botno had nothing to do with that? It was MM and NS's fault they lost and nothing Botno did? Right, I believe that. Two tough regions: Region 6 and Region 2, but Region 6 had a team win the state championship. IMO, that gives them the benefit of the doubt.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Hockey Wizzard » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:07 pm

can the bottineau stars be beat, it seems like they are a dynasty basketball team. 
The Hockey Wizzard
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:53 am

The Lady Holsteins deserve the respect they earned...alot of discussion earlier about where they will place....majority had them picked last or 7th again.....region was weak etc....they took second under alot of emotional pressure as you saw during the tellmann interview and some stuff that you didn't see concerning a former athlete who sufferred a tragic fate at the hands of a loser earlier in the year... I myself was unsure of where these lady's were going to finish, but they had a nice run and proved to be the 2nd best team in state.....I believe the media could find some very inspiring stories within this years Girls Class B State Tournament that would be interesting for many other...Congratulations Lady Holsltein's
bigpoppakdog

Return to Girls