East vs West

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bb baby » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am

Seems the east was not as strong as everyone talked about all year.

Four western teams swept the first round of State B Girls.

Maybe Region 2 was over-rated all year?????????
bb baby
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:06 am

Wouldn't Botno be considered an East team and Steele/Dawson in the West?  Other than the MM and NS game, each game could have gone either way so I don't think anyone can make a case that the West was better than the East this year.  It seemed like a very balanced tournament to me. 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:16 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Wouldn't Botno be considered an East team and Steele/Dawson in the West?  Other than the MM and NS game, each game could have gone either way so I don't think anyone can make a case that the West was better than the East this year.  It seemed like a very balanced tournament to me. 

actually, on the map- Steele/Dawson is further east by approx. 15-20 miles.  Where you draw a line from East vs. west- I'm not sure.  I was very surprised of the M-M & New Salem flow- thought it would be back & forth.  I will bow down to New Salem as they took it to them.  probably wasn't M-M's night, but they didn't show up, simple as that.  Kindred losing was an even bigger surprise, as most people on this site seemed to think New town was the weakest team- just from what I had read from others.  the only way i can save my A** is if Bottineau takes it all, as I had picked earlier.  We'll See!!!!

Good luck to the teams in the winners bracket, can't wait to watch some great Class B ball!
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:20 am

Well, I am pretty shocked, but not because I didn't think the west teams were good, but I just am surprised by how poorly the east teams showed up.  I don't think Region 2 was overrated because a lot teams in the region were largely the same teams as last year and MM got to the championship last year.  No reason not to expect it again.  MM simply played horrid.  And I don't mean that to take anything away from New Salem.  They were finally senior dominated and truly in the mix with the best teams.  Their experience could take them to #1 if all goes well.  However, Dakota Prairie or Hillsboro, Hatton-Northwood or FL-PR would have all matched up better with New Salem IMO.  M-M sure looked like they either they were overlooking first round and then hit a buzzsaw and couldn't recover, or for some reason were shell-shocked from the beginning which I don't understand since they'd been there before.  But for a team that I thought always had a game plan, I couldn't detect it last night.  But then game plans go out the window when you shoot that awful.

I picked Kindred just because they'd been there before, had a good record, and I hadn't heard a word about New Town.  I really liked New Town although they don't look at first glance like the most athletic team, they definitely play all out and Miller is TOUGH.  Maybe they were the underrated region??  I guess S-D is east by virtue of being east of Bis, but then so is Bottineau, and that was a game I didn't care too much who won.  I don't think any of the 1st 3 games featured anyone playing their best, at least I hope it wasn't their best.  It was obvious M-L wasn't at the top of their game, and Bowman did some things really well but it didn't convert to a dominating win, so I would guess even the winners have better games in them.  I think things will look better tonight.  But congratulations to the west.  The western teams were definitely more ready to play. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:15 am

i only saw the first two games of the day, but what i saw was four extremely even teams in their two respective games. lotta jitters which will hopefull be worked out by the time the second rounds start but all in all both games couldn't really be called convincing wins.

for me personally i hope that means that the consolation semis will be just as fun to watch as the semis, albeit with less on the line.
rep

Postby westfan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:28 am

All West Final Rounds:

Interesting how the Eastern Sportswriters and Sportscasters are backpeddling as fast as they possibly can now. Even a few trying to draw a line to see who is in the east and who is considered in the west. Many say they never heard much about the teams in the west. And these are the same people that vote for your weekly power polls and for your All State teams? What great sports knowledge the exude. 

There was way to much buildup of the eastern teams this year. Way to much fluff from what I have heard from a few fans in the eastern part of the state. So like I stated in earlier posts, the State Champion will be from the west again this year.

Someone asked me a while ago if the west had the quality players to compete this year.. so:

If I had to build a west Class 'B' All Star team I would have: Christine Miller, Paige Anderson, Courtney Egge, Kayla Roemmich, Abby Bratlien, and Teryl Norton. This team would easily hanle any east Class 'B' All Star team that was put together. They would also give any Class 'A'  All Star Team a run for their money and I bet would come out on top.
westfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bearsfan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:43 am

westfan wrote:All West Final Rounds:

Interesting how the Eastern Sportswriters and Sportscasters are backpeddling as fast as they possibly can now. Even a few trying to draw a line to see who is in the east and who is considered in the west. Many say they never heard much about the teams in the west. And these are the same people that vote for your weekly power polls and for your All State teams? What great sports knowledge the exude. 

There was way to much buildup of the eastern teams this year. Way to much fluff from what I have heard from a few fans in the eastern part of the state. So like I stated in earlier posts, the State Champion will be from the west again this year.

Someone asked me a while ago if the west had the quality players to compete this year.. so:

If I had to build a west Class 'B' All Star team I would have: Christine Miller, Paige Anderson, Courtney Egge, Kayla Roemmich, Abby Bratlien, and Teryl Norton. This team would easily hanle any east Class 'B' All Star team that was put together. They would also give any Class 'A'  All Star Team a run for their money and I bet would come out on top.

Becareful......... 6'5" Steffan, 6'1" Kielpinski, 6' Courtney Fettig, 6'1" Cassandra Kelsch,  6'1" Kristen Pattison.... those would be the inside players(just to speak of a few) that can flat out play basketball!!!  I didn't list the outside shooters...... I'm sure the game would be decent but this is a great year for the class A girls!!!

I do like the class B team that you put together though..... I would put Kayla Schmidt on it also.  She is used to the Class A style of play and has been pounded by all of the best of them and still would have been the high returner. 
Bearsfan

Postby westfan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:28 am

Bearsfan wrote:

Becareful......... 6'5" Steffan, 6'1" Kielpinski, 6' Courtney Fettig, 6'1" Cassandra Kelsch,  6'1" Kristen Pattison.... those would be the inside players(just to speak of a few) that can flat out play basketball!!!  I didn't list the outside shooters...... I'm sure the game would be decent but this is a great year for the class A girls!!!

I do like the class B team that you put together though..... I would put Kayla Schmidt on it also.  She is used to the Class A style of play and has been pounded by all of the best of them and still would have been the high returner. 

Oops my fault, how could I forget Kayla Schmidt very nice humble young lady, I talked to her this fall when she still was undecided on Northern State.

Yes, this is a nice west team isn't it. Anderson would be a 1, Norton a 2, Schmidt a 3, Miller, Egge and Bratlien 4's and Roemmich a 5.

There is some size on this west B team, but not to the extent of 6'5" Steffan. Athough, she is a much better volleyball player.
westfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pbhoopsters » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:29 am

I don't agree with your use of the word "easily".  You put the Gillett cousins, Abby Reiter, Mandi Bindas, Sammi Schmit and Sammi Baldwin on a team together and you would have a great team for any western team to compete against. I have no prediction on who would win. Your use of the word "easily" is a bit over the top for me.

Frankly, I still believe Region 2 and Region 7 were the toughest Regions in the State. I predicted Bowman and MM in the Finals. Bowman played up to my expections and MM did not. A State team shooting 19 percent from the field for the game cannot be said to be having a typcial performance. For the most part MM had good looks but the ball was not going in the hoop. I will credit New Salem's post player of doing a good job of blocking shots but what hurt MM the most is not being able "to hit the broad side of a barn" for the opening night of the state tournament.

I appreciate the fine players in both the west and the east. It just too bad you draw such conclusions from one bad game. Don't forget that MM, by about eight points, beat Bottineau in Minot back in December or January. I hope fans from both East and West can appreciate the great players from the entire state without degrading those from other Regions. With that being said - Go Bowman!
Last edited by pbhoopsters on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbhoopsters

Postby rep » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 am

rediculous...bowman gets by minnewaukan-leeds by three points and bottineau hits a shot with 10 seconds to go to beat steele and suddenly these teams were thumped loudly? when bow and bott won by a combined five points?

i didn't watch the night session so i can't comment on either of those games, but from what i saw in the afternoon session there didn't appear to be much seperation at all.
rep

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:26 am

You cant make all out EAST/WEST, or region assumptions off of just one game. Especially for how close most of those first round games were. Yes, each team is a "representative" of the region but it isnt always the best team that makes it. Nor can you make an assumption to the depth of quality teams from ONE game.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Return to Girls