Region 2 Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rkmt » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:18 am

Wombat wrote:Who was the senior player of the year for this region? and who was up for this award in the first place?

Kirstie Gillett from Dakota Prairie won it.  She was the Dist 3 player of the year, and Kristina Schuster (Midway Minto) and Kallie Erickson (FL-PR) were the co-players of the year from District 4.  Once I saw Dist 4 ended up with co-POY, I would have liked to have seen Reiter get co- with Gillett in Dist 3.  But Gillett deserved the overall award - not arguing with that.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby spud84 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 am

Looks like i missed a pretty exciting game last night. I am a little disappointed since i am a FLPR fan but am not surprised. It is hard to beat a team as good as M-M 3 times in a season and with how good they played this week I believe they will be hoisting the Championship trophy next Saturday night. Good Luck Mustangs!!

Also besides Kallie Erickson who else will be graduating this year for FLPR? I check NDHSAA but they don't have that info.
spud84

Postby Diamond D » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:30 am

I couldn't make the game last night (grad school homework...yuk), but I talked to one of the coaches that said that the Betty E.  was completely packed from top to bottom and said the electricity of the game itself felt almost like a State Championship Game.

Can anyone else say the same?

Diamond D

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:44 am

i saw open seats...but ya it was a good atmosphere.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:55 am

spud84 wrote:Looks like i missed a pretty exciting game last night. I am a little disappointed since i am a FLPR fan but am not surprised. It is hard to beat a team as good as M-M 3 times in a season and with how good they played this week I believe they will be hoisting the Championship trophy next Saturday night. Good Luck Mustangs!!

Also besides Kallie Erickson who else will be graduating this year for FLPR? I check NDHSAA but they don't have that info.

They lose Erickson, Tressta Ralston, Steph Rehovsky, & two more that saw little playing time.  (hopefully spelled those correctly)  With Katie Ralston around for 2 more years, they will be an excellent team.  I did notice that she was, to say it nicely, not happy with the loss.  In the handshake line after the game, she was less than sportsmanlike.  I'll leave it at that.  Not many people probably saw it, but I happened to notice.  Hopefully one of her coaches noticed.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:26 pm

Diamond D wrote: 

I couldn't make the game last night (grad school homework...yuk), but I talked to one of the coaches that said that the Betty E.  was completely packed from top to bottom and said the electricity of the game itself felt almost like a State Championship Game.

Can anyone else say the same?

There were open seats but it was pretty full. People were sitting all the way up to the top row even close to the corners. It was a very electric atmosphere. It was like a slugfest for a while. M-M jumped out to a 7 point lead about half way through the second on a Schanilec 3 and Fordville answered right back with a three in the matter of 10 seconds and took the lead in under a minute. It was back and forth for the remainder of the half until about the forth. M-M got out to a three point lead early in the forth and the spread was anywhere from 1 point to 4 points until the final minute with M-M holding the lead the entire time. M-M was able to run off almost 2 minutes on one possession late which brought alot of noise from both teams fans.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby sioux10 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:38 pm

rkmt wrote:
Wombat wrote:Who was the senior player of the year for this region? and who was up for this award in the first place?

Kirstie Gillett from Dakota Prairie won it.  She was the Dist 3 player of the year, and Kristina Schuster (Midway Minto) and Kallie Erickson (FL-PR) were the co-players of the year from District 4.  Once I saw Dist 4 ended up with co-POY, I would have liked to have seen Reiter get co- with Gillett in Dist 3.  But Gillett deserved the overall award - not arguing with that.

i can't belive dickson from midway minto wasn't up for that.  she is by far the most athletic girl in the state.  she may not score that many points, but leads the district in assists, is in the top of the district in rebounds, and it one heck of a defender. 
sioux10

Postby sioux10 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:39 pm

for district 4 senior athlete, gillett deserved region player of the year hands down
sioux10

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:14 pm

sioux10 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

i can't belive dickson from midway minto wasn't up for that.  she is by far the most athletic girl in the state.  she may not score that many points, but leads the district in assists, is in the top of the district in rebounds, and it one heck of a defender. 

I agree. Dickson is the glue that makes that team tick and is the real leader. The only reason she doesnt score is because she is WAY too much of a team player. Not because she cant score. She actually decided to shoot the ball against FLPR and only missed one shot (5x6 for the game including 2 threes). Yes Schuster is a great player and has a quick release and shoots well. But she wouldnt be nearly the player without Dickson's court awareness and unselfish play. M-M without Dickson is an average team offensively because she creates so many easy opportunities. M-M with out Schuster would still be great because Dickson could legitametly score 20+ a game if she wanted too. With that said, having both makes them deadly.
Last edited by InTheKnow on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:48 am

InTheKnow wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

I agree. Dickson is the glue that makes that team tick and is the real leader. The only reason she doesnt score is because she is WAY too much of a team player. Not because she cant score. She actually decided to shoot the ball against FLPR and only missed one shot (5x6 for the game including 2 threes). Yes Schuster is a great player and has a quick release and shoots well. But she wouldnt be nearly the player without Dickson's court awareness and unselfish play. M-M without Dickson is an average team offensively because she creates so many easy opportunities. M-M with out Schuster would still be great because Dickson could legitametly score 20+ a game if she wanted too. With that said, having both makes them deadly.

The only knock I have on Dickson is that I've seen her pull out of a fastbreak early in games when she clearly had the advantage to get to the hoop.  With her jumping ability & decent size, she needs to be more aggressive in those situations.  most elite players take it to the hole in those situations.  Otherwise- she is amazing to watch, very unselfish, & has a good head on her shoulders.  I think it may have been mentioned before, but she played shortstop on the boys baseball team a couple years ago, & that team was no slouch i guess.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:43 am

hoop_fan1 wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

The only knock I have on Dickson is that I've seen her pull out of a fastbreak early in games when she clearly had the advantage to get to the hoop.  With her jumping ability & decent size, she needs to be more aggressive in those situations.  most elite players take it to the hole in those situations.  Otherwise- she is amazing to watch, very unselfish, & has a good head on her shoulders.  I think it may have been mentioned before, but she played shortstop on the boys baseball team a couple years ago, & that team was no slouch i guess.

Yeah she needs to take it to the hoop much more in those situations but that is coming from the coach to slow it down and when you are a coachable leader like she is, she does what the coach says. She seriously could average 25 a game if she wanted to turn those fast break opportunities into points and if not points she would average about 3-4 more assists a game which would run it to around 10per which is unbelievable for a 32 minute game.

She started in LF as a Freshman and was the everyday starting second baseman as a Soph for Midway in baeball. Was the leadoff hitter and starting catcher her last year of babe ruth. She has an absolute cannon for an arm and actually threw out quite a few runners as a catcher and is darn good blocking the ball in the dirt. Was the leadoff hitter and short stop/catcher for GF Central last spring for Fastpitch.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Thunder66 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm

sioux10 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

in the state? she's not even the most athletic girl in the region, gillette and reiter are both more athletic than dickson
Thunder66

Postby sioux10 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:25 pm

Thunder66 wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

in the state? she's not even the most athletic girl in the region, gillette and reiter are both more athletic than dickson

dickson is not as good of basketball players as gillett and reiter, but she is more athletic.  Being good at basketball and being athletic are two different things. 
sioux10

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:08 pm

sioux10 wrote:
Thunder66 wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

dickson is not as good of basketball players as gillett and reiter, but she is more athletic.  Being good at basketball and being athletic are two different things. 

Exactly. She is definately more of a natural athlete. Anyone who doesnt think so is either biased to someone they know or is not a good judge of raw athletic ability (not skill level). This isnt just my belief either this is exactly what came from the mouths of some of the officials from the region as well.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby thesports_guy32 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:52 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
Thunder66 wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

Exactly. She is definately more of a natural athlete. Anyone who doesnt think so is either biased to someone they know or is not a good judge of raw athletic ability (not skill level). This isnt just my belief either this is exactly what came from the mouths of some of the officials from the region as well.

she is extremely athletic.... and you should see her play baseball. she could start on some high school teams. girl has got a cannon for a right arm!
thesports_guy32

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:42 pm

thesports_guy32 wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
Thunder66 wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
rkmt wrote:

she is extremely athletic.... and you should see her play baseball. she could start on some high school teams. girl has got a cannon for a right arm!

And when refering to her arm as a cannon we are not comparing her to other girls because that is a laughable comparison. She has a better arm then probably 65-70% of the boys. She probably throws about 75mph. If she has a streaking player or a last second heave she will show it off. She threw the basketball on a line last week about 80 feet and hit her teamate in stride for a lay up. Pretty impressive!
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller23 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:24 am

Region 2 fan...i totally agree with Abby having a chance to wn that award. But Kirstie is an amazing player. 2-3 losses that Hatton-Northwood had were from Dakota Prairie. One win by eleven and the other by 1. So i think it comes down to who had the better year...and i think it was Kirstie. She also got region 2 senior of the year. So that says something too
baller23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:57 am

baller23 wrote:Region 2 fan...i totally agree with Abby having a chance to wn that award. But Kirstie is an amazing player. 2-3 losses that Hatton-Northwood had were from Dakota Prairie. One win by eleven and the other by 1. So i think it comes down to who had the better year...and i think it was Kirstie. She also got region 2 senior of the year. So that says something too

Without a doubt there are a number of deserving players who most years would have won the district player of the year and region player of the year hands down (im not even going to mention other regions this year). How fun would it be to have a Region 2 all star game this year. That would be alot of points on the floor at one time and just great overall players.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:47 pm

i think the region 2 championship sounded like a great game. congratulations to fordville lankin-park river they had a great year and came up a little short.
PA42

Postby wizard23 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:41 pm

:(They got one game closer then they should have. If the ref call the traveling and

out of bounds on the last play DP would have had the rematch  the deserved with

MM.
wizard23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:18 am

wizard23 wrote::(They got one game closer then they should have. If the ref call the traveling and

out of bounds on the last play DP would have had the rematch  the deserved with

MM.

You cant blame the ref for DP losing.  If they were as good as everyone says they shouldnt've been in a situation where a refs judgement is going to make the difference in the game.  They took fordville lightly and got beat, that play was a huge play in the game but that doesn't mean thats the reason DP lost.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grywyn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:05 am

I noticed it also. It was totally uncalled for. I not only hope the coaches saw it, but also the parents.
grywyn
NDPreps Starter

Postby grywyn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:07 am

Oh I couldn't agree more. Betsy has a natural talent. Maybe we should call her the Best Leader in North Dakota athletics. She leads her team, no matter what sport it is. If she wasn't unself you would see her with the high points honors every game.
grywyn
NDPreps Starter

Postby Watcher 007 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:08 am

Sounds like the the best player of these three lead her team to state.
Watcher 007
NDPreps Starter

Postby the unknown » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:38 am

The DP game was badly reffed...DP couldnt even play there game
the unknown

PreviousNext

Return to Girls