Class B versus Class A

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby JoeMarkson » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:45 pm

yeah, it officially is probably called the east/west classic.  in any event, class "B" Trinity was 2-1.
JoeMarkson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby JoeMarkson » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:05 pm

anyone have dickinson trinity's results for 2005-2006?  they were 2-1 vs. class "a" competition.  not sure whether it was a tournament or just single games.  i no longer have the 05-06' schedule/results. 
JoeMarkson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:07 pm

JoeMarkson wrote:yeah, it officially is probably called the east/west classic.  in any event, class "B" Trinity was 2-1.

There were no class B schools.  Each game was a WDA vs EDC matchup. 

I think you may be thinking of Beulah.   Their only wins were Center-Stanton and the WDA play in game vs Belcourt.  So they may have played other class B games. 
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:19 pm

JoeMarkson wrote:anyone have dickinson trinity's results for 2005-2006?  they were 2-1 vs. class "a" competition.  not sure whether it was a tournament or just single games.  i no longer have the 05-06' schedule/results. 

If it was Beulah and Williston they beat, you can't say that they would be competative in A.  There's a big difference between the Mandan, Bismarck, Century, Fargo South etc and the teams that win 1 or 2 games. 

That would be like saying since Mandan's sophmores went 2-1 at the Mott tourney that Mandan's sophmores (actually mostly 8th and 9th graders) could play class B varsity.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby COACHWEST » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:21 am

I agree that it was not this season, but a year ago, class B teams were competing against Class a teams in Bismarck.  DT did do well.  I do not believe there is the traditional EDC/WDA Holiday tourney anymore.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby demonfan74 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:14 pm

Deuce wrote:
JoeMarkson wrote:The answer to your question is an absolute yes!  Bottineau could very easily compete in Class "A" girls basketball.  For example, last year Dickinson Trinity competed in a Class "A" varsity holiday tournament in which they beat either Dickinson or Bismarck Century and Bismarck St. Marys.  Their only loss was to Williston.  Bottineau easily beat Trinity twice- once by 25 points!   Further, in years past, Bottineau has scheduled Class "A" Belcourt.  In 1998 Bottineau beat Belcourt by 23, in Belcourt.  Next, people forget that Bottineau played all of their sports, not just hockey, in Class "A" until the early 1990's.  The Bottineau girls team went to state five times when they were in Class "A" and finished as high as second place.  Bottineau would have not the slightest bit of trouble in Class "A".  They routinely beat "B" schools by 40 or more points- on a bad night.  Thw only team in "A" that would present a challenge would be Mandan.   Look at it this way, Bottineau is Class "A" in hockey and finished within one game of the state hockey tournament this year.  Bottineau's hockey team is not near on the level of thier girl's basketball team.  So if the hockey team can make it to the state qualifyer- the basketball team could easily make it to state.  Bottineau is only 29 students away from being a Class "A" highschool anyway.  

I think you are mistaken.  The class A teams played in the east/west classic last year in Bismarck where the WDA teams played the EDC teams.

I guaruntee you they didn't beat century; I highly doubt they beat dickinson, and st marys isn't any good.  Class B teams could compete with the bottom team (not plural) in each conference, maybe. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JoeMarkson » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:57 pm

I'm not really sure an average "B" team could compete against an "A" team.  Bottineau easily could, however.  The Bottineau J.V. could beat the majority of ""B" teams.  Bottineau would have made it to state this year in "A".  As I noted before, prior to moving to "B" they had a great deal of success in "A" basketball.  The same would hold true today.  A tough pill for Class "A" fans to swallow, I'm sure!  If Bottineau can beat a "B" team by 70, perhaps they should move up a division.
JoeMarkson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:57 pm

Last edited by Deuce on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bismarcker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:06 am

[user=2905]JoeMarkson[/user] wrote:
I'm not really sure an average "B" team could compete against an "A" team.  Bottineau easily could, however.  The Bottineau J.V. could beat the majority of ""B" teams.  Bottineau would have made it to state this year in "A".  As I noted before, prior to moving to "B" they had a great deal of success in "A" basketball.  The same would hold true today.  A tough pill for Class "A" fans to swallow, I'm sure!  If Bottineau can beat a "B" team by 70, perhaps they should move up a division.

Bottineau is very good at a class B level, but could not compete in Class A and be successful.  I think they would be in the bottom third of  A teams and probably be competing with St. Mary's for the cellar in the WDA.  It just comes down to a numbers game. 

Now for beating a "B" team by 70.  That happens only about once or twice a year to a team that barely has enough girls for a team.  The starters only play a quarter and then the JV plays the rest of the game.  So suggesting they should move up a division is ridiculous.  
If paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and scissors beats paper, what beats all 3 at the same time? Answer: Chuck Norris.
Bismarcker
NDPreps Rookie

Postby demonfan74 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Bismarcker wrote:[user=2905]JoeMarkson[/user] wrote:

Bottineau is very good at a class B level, but could not compete in Class A and be successful.  I think they would be in the bottom third of  A teams and probably be competing with St. Mary's for the cellar in the WDA.  It just comes down to a numbers game. 

Now for beating a "B" team by 70.  That happens only about once or twice a year to a team that barely has enough girls for a team.  The starters only play a quarter and then the JV plays the rest of the game.  So suggesting they should move up a division is ridiculous.  

You don't move up a division because you have a good team for a few years, just like you don't move down a division because your team has had a few bad years.  It is based on the number of students that attend a school, not on it's athletic record. 

That's ridiculous just a ridiculous thing to say because every team has its good and bad years.  If schools were allowed to do that, I have a feeling many schools would be jumping around in different divisions, or a lot more "transfers" would occur. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JoeMarkson » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:47 pm

Bottineau has already been very successful at the Class "A" level and the same would remain true today.  I do not believe Bottineau has ever lost more than five games in a season since turning Class "B".  They would easily compete with class "A" teams and be successful.  Bottom third of the WDA?  Try the top third.
JoeMarkson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cdub1 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:49 pm

JoeMarkson wrote:Bottineau has already been very successful at the Class "A" level and the same would remain true today.  I do not believe Bottineau has ever lost more than five games in a season since turning Class "B".  They would easily compete with class "A" teams and be successful.  Bottom third of the WDA?  Try the top third.

id say middle they wouldnt compete with bismarck mandan or century

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:23 pm

JoeMarkson wrote:Bottineau has already been very successful at the Class "A" level and the same would remain true today.  I do not believe Bottineau has ever lost more than five games in a season since turning Class "B".  They would easily compete with class "A" teams and be successful.  Bottom third of the WDA?  Try the top third.

I completely forgot about how successful Botno was in class A.  What years did they win state class A?
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JoeMarkson » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:10 am

Bottineau finished as high as second, losing the title game to Minot High one year.  I'm from the Belcourt area and I go to a lot of our games.  As I stated earlier, Bottineau killed us by over 20 points in 1998, which made me a believer in them.  They were up by as much as 30, but had their subs playing most of the 4th quarter.  That year, we lost in the WDA to Minot High by only 2 points. Minot advanced to the State "A".  Bottineau was one of the top teams we faced all year.  We only had one, maybe two, losses worse than the one to  Bottineau that year.  They would do very well in "A".  Of note, Bottineau didn't make it to the State "B" the year they killed us.  I recall them losing to the eventual state champ (team?) in their regional title game.  They can flat out play.  I'm glad we haven't rescheduled them since!  
JoeMarkson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Y-not Daily » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:24 pm

I still believe the 2005-06 Bottineau team could have competed with the best Class A teams.
It was the same kids they had this year that won the B title plus a Miss Basketball candidate (Sara Neaubauer) and probably the state's all-around best female high school athlete (Kelsey Aide) in that year.
Y-not Daily

Postby Wildcat » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:04 pm

05-06 Bottineau could have competed with some of the best teams, but not the best in Class A. Mandan would have beaten them by double digits, IMO. Century probably would have beat them also. That being said, I agree with you that they could have competed.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:48 pm

JoeMarkson wrote:Bottineau finished as high as second, losing the title game to Minot High one year.  I'm from the Belcourt area and I go to a lot of our games.  As I stated earlier, Bottineau killed us by over 20 points in 1998, which made me a believer in them.  They were up by as much as 30, but had their subs playing most of the 4th quarter.  That year, we lost in the WDA to Minot High by only 2 points. Minot advanced to the State "A".  Bottineau was one of the top teams we faced all year.  We only had one, maybe two, losses worse than the one to  Bottineau that year.  They would do very well in "A".  Of note, Bottineau didn't make it to the State "B" the year they killed us.  I recall them losing to the eventual state champ (team?) in their regional title game.  They can flat out play.  I'm glad we haven't rescheduled them since!  

That explains it.    yup.  Botno would rule class A. 
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:02 am

I guess the original question was "Which team(s) in Class B could be competitive in Class A?"  Depends what competitive is?  Depends if its meant "year in and year out" or "pick a year"  I think it would be fair to say the upper 5 -10 teams in Class B would be competitive (win a third to half the games and not get blown out by 30 points) against the lower third Class A teams year in and year out.  Now this doesn't mean the SAME Class B team but the best (upper 10 in any given year) After watching the State Class B this year, I didn't think any of these teams would have made the state Class A tournament this year.  I do think these same Class B teams would have been competitive against the lower third in the EDC this year.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Deuce wrote:
JoeMarkson wrote:Bottineau finished as high as second, losing the title game to Minot High one year.  I'm from the Belcourt area and I go to a lot of our games.  As I stated earlier, Bottineau killed us by over 20 points in 1998, which made me a believer in them.  They were up by as much as 30, but had their subs playing most of the 4th quarter.  That year, we lost in the WDA to Minot High by only 2 points. Minot advanced to the State "A".  Bottineau was one of the top teams we faced all year.  We only had one, maybe two, losses worse than the one to  Bottineau that year.  They would do very well in "A".  Of note, Bottineau didn't make it to the State "B" the year they killed us.  I recall them losing to the eventual state champ (team?) in their regional title game.  They can flat out play.  I'm glad we haven't rescheduled them since!  

how can u say that botno would rule class A. They would do well against some teams but Mandan would kill them and so would Century.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:56 am

Roughrider wrote:
Deuce wrote:

how can u say that botno would rule class A. They would do well against some teams but Mandan would kill them and so would Century.

I agree.  I was just joking on that.  I mean Belcourt is perennially in the low single digits for wins so I don't know how Botno beating them by 20 would have any bearing on how Botno would do in class A.  It shows me that Belcourt is just that bad.  I personally think that Botno would beat a few class A teams here and there but EDC is right about it depends on what defines competative.  If it means being able to go 6-13, I see Botno being able to do that, but if it means going  18-1, 16-3 and a 1,2 or 3 seed in the WDA, I just don't see that happening.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JoeMarkson » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:29 am

I still think Bottineau would be higly competitive in Class "A".  On Dec. 29th, 2005, Dickinson Trinity beat Minot High 69-54.  Bottineau beat DTrinity by well over 20 points, twice, that same season (05-06).  That would put Bottineau as 35-40 point winners over Minot High.  The numbers don't lie.  Bottineau would compete and do very well.  As I recall, Minot made it to state in 2005-2006 in Class "A".  Had they been in Bottineau's "B" region, they wouldn't have made it to the State "B".  I'm not syaing Bottineau would have won state, but they would have been in the sem-final round of the State "A".
JoeMarkson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:28 am

JoeMarkson wrote:I still think Bottineau would be higly competitive in Class "A".  On Dec. 29th, 2005, Dickinson Trinity beat Minot High 69-54.  Bottineau beat DTrinity by well over 20 points, twice, that same season (05-06).  That would put Bottineau as 35-40 point winners over Minot High.  The numbers don't lie.  Bottineau would compete and do very well.  As I recall, Minot made it to state in 2005-2006 in Class "A".  Had they been in Bottineau's "B" region, they wouldn't have made it to the State "B".  I'm not syaing Bottineau would have won state, but they would have been in the sem-final round of the State "A".

different teams play against different teams different ways im not saying ur wrong about bottineau and minot but using trinity as an example doesnt really work for anything

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Scout46C » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:57 pm

The problem the botno team would have going class A is the more physical style of play in A. In B they may run up against 1-maybe 2 girls on the same team that can play physical and under control. Most of the good class A teams have usually 3-4 that can play the game. Right now botno plays against teams that are pulling 7 & 8 grade players that are not strong physically and dont have good basketball sense to play a hard. They do stupid fouls. A good A team player knows how to get position and how to manuever to get to the position they want. Kayla R knows how to do this, but she is the only one. Last years team would have done better than this years team. They could possibly played with the bottom 4 teams at state, but Mandan would have beat them for sure--maybe.
Scout46C

Postby EDC » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:44 pm

Had a chance to see some of the Class B players play in the ECI tournament in Wahpeton a couple weeks ago.  Gillett cousins, Dickson, Reiter, & I think Baldwin all played on the same team.  There was another younger guard from Dakota Prairie on the team as well.  Reiter impressed me the most.  Really can see the court and handle the ball and is a good passer.  The older Gillett was good but I don't know how she will be used at UND.  Probably can shoot from the outside but never took a shot from further out then 5 feet the games I saw.  She actually was outmuscled at times.  The younger Gillett moved pretty good for a bigger girl and made some 12 foot shots - played tough defense.  Could be very good. Dickson looked solid and confident.  Made every open shot.  Baldwin managed to take it to the basket against taller players.  How did Dakota Prairie not make it state?  On paper with two players committing to UND and another 6ft post with the younger guard who looked good they might have been able to compete against Class A teams last year and finish in the top 4 or 5 in the EDC.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoop_fan1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:12 am

Did they end up winning their division in Wahpeton?

It would be fun to watch that group of girls get to play a whole season together! 

[user=1484]EDC[/user] wrote:
Had a chance to see some of the Class B players play in the ECI tournament in Wahpeton a couple weeks ago.  Gillett cousins, Dickson, Reiter, & I think Baldwin all played on the same team.  There was another younger guard from Dakota Prairie on the team as well.  Reiter impressed me the most.  Really can see the court and handle the ball and is a good passer.  The older Gillett was good but I don't know how she will be used at UND.  Probably can shoot from the outside but never took a shot from further out then 5 feet the games I saw.  She actually was outmuscled at times.  The younger Gillett moved pretty good for a bigger girl and made some 12 foot shots - played tough defense.  Could be very good. Dickson looked solid and confident.  Made every open shot.  Baldwin managed to take it to the basket against taller players.  How did Dakota Prairie not make it state?  On paper with two players committing to UND and another 6ft post with the younger guard who looked good they might have been able to compete against Class A teams last year and finish in the top 4 or 5 in the EDC.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls