Class B versus Class A

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby EDC » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Just wondering.  Which Class B teams could compete against the Class A schools?  The EDC is down this year.  Does anybody have any comments??
Last edited by EDC on Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Well I believe Drayton/St Thomas beat Valley City by like 35+ earlier this year so I would say almost every team that makes the Region in Region 2 could compete. You have the Gillette sister at DP with one already UND bound so she can play. You have Dickson and Baldwin who will be playing college ball some where so they can definately play. Wether or not they would be able to beat the top class A team I have no idea because i dont follow class a closely and can honestly say i havent been to a class A girls game since the Dahlen twins and Jahner were freshman at North. But they would definately be able to compete and represent themselves well.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bearsfan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 am

Sorry..... this is not a good comparison..... valley city lost to Fargo North by 20, St. Mary's by 20, Jamestown by 50!!  And by the way... the score was 68 - 44.  I really don't think it is a good comparison..... shot clock, much more physical under the basket(because the refs let it get that way), and the team depth.  I know that a class B team may have won a game here or there.... but to compete means to be more than in a game until the end...... compete means to be .500 or better.  Wouldn't happen!!!  If I remember right Beulah had some decent players while they were in class A (Becker girls went on to play college ball, Barnett, Just, Boehm) and still would come out with one or 2 wins.  There's just too much "meat" that they throw at you and the ref's...well.... lets just say that they don't like the "big" teams getting beat by the little girls on the floor!!!
Bearsfan

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:55 pm

Bearsfan wrote:Sorry..... this is not a good comparison..... valley city lost to Fargo North by 20, St. Mary's by 20, Jamestown by 50!!  And by the way... the score was 68 - 44.  I really don't think it is a good comparison..... shot clock, much more physical under the basket(because the refs let it get that way), and the team depth.  I know that a class B team may have won a game here or there.... but to compete means to be more than in a game until the end...... compete means to be .500 or better.  Wouldn't happen!!!  If I remember right Beulah had some decent players while they were in class A (Becker girls went on to play college ball, Barnett, Just, Boehm) and still would come out with one or 2 wins.  There's just too much "meat" that they throw at you and the ref's...well.... lets just say that they don't like the "big" teams getting beat by the little girls on the floor!!!

Good comparison or not that is the only comparison we have to go on as far as i know. What is to say that last years Beulah team would have even made the state B. I know exactly what compete means and there are without a doubt teams in class B that can easily compete with Class A. Like I said win state, no probably not, but finish at least mid pack in the EDC or WDC. Yeah. Why also did I use Drayton/St Thomas, because there star junior point guard and another guard from the same district were on an AAU team that played "the big girls", teams with alot more tallent then anything a Class A school can put together and handeled it quite nicely. You mentioned a couple of names from Beulah. Yes they were good players and went on to college ball but what else did they have for a team? That is the big dfference!
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bearsfan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:57 am

InTheKnow wrote:
Bearsfan wrote:Sorry..... this is not a good comparison..... valley city lost to Fargo North by 20, St. Mary's by 20, Jamestown by 50!!  And by the way... the score was 68 - 44.  I really don't think it is a good comparison..... shot clock, much more physical under the basket(because the refs let it get that way), and the team depth.  I know that a class B team may have won a game here or there.... but to compete means to be more than in a game until the end...... compete means to be .500 or better.  Wouldn't happen!!!  If I remember right Beulah had some decent players while they were in class A (Becker girls went on to play college ball, Barnett, Just, Boehm) and still would come out with one or 2 wins.  There's just too much "meat" that they throw at you and the ref's...well.... lets just say that they don't like the "big" teams getting beat by the little girls on the floor!!!

Good comparison or not that is the only comparison we have to go on as far as i know. What is to say that last years Beulah team would have even made the state B. I know exactly what compete means and there are without a doubt teams in class B that can easily compete with Class A. Like I said win state, no probably not, but finish at least mid pack in the EDC or WDC. Yeah. Why also did I use Drayton/St Thomas, because there star junior point guard and another guard from the same district were on an AAU team that played "the big girls", teams with alot more tallent then anything a Class A school can put together and handeled it quite nicely. You mentioned a couple of names from Beulah. Yes they were good players and went on to college ball but what else did they have for a team? That is the big dfference!

I can absolutely guarentee to you that Beulah wouldn't have made it to state last year.... but when you have Century, Mandan, Bismarck, dickinson, Minot, Williston to play 2 times each season..... you'll see what its like to get pounded!!!!  Good Luck!
Bearsfan

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:02 pm

InTheKnow wrote:Well I believe Drayton/St Thomas beat Valley City by like 35+ earlier this year so I would say almost every team that makes the Region in Region 2 could compete. You have the Gillette sister at DP with one already UND bound so she can play. You have Dickson and Baldwin who will be playing college ball some where so they can definately play. Wether or not they would be able to beat the top class A team I have no idea because i dont follow class a closely and can honestly say i havent been to a class A girls game since the Dahlen twins and Jahner were freshman at North. But they would definately be able to compete and represent themselves well.

Gillett Cousins, they're not sisters. ;) Valley City isn't too good. That game against Drayton was played in a tournament in Northwood. Hatton-Northwood beat Valley City the next day in that tournament. They beat them 65 to 49. So in a way it is not that good of team to use to compare Class A and Class B, but I'm not saying Class B teams couldn't compete. I believe a few Class B teams would have great success in Class A.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:09 pm

Valley City hasn't won a class A game in ? years which is why they schedule class B games and some of their EDC teams only once, counting them as 2 pts.  So I would be hesitant to use them as a measuring stick about the quality of class A teams.  I also would put a lot of weight on BearsFan's opinion because Beulah has been there and done that so they would know. 
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby demonfan74 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:29 pm

I don't think the best class B school could compete with any top 5 class A school.  The depth just isn't there and with more opportunities as far as sports, there seems to be more athleticism in class A schools.  However, that does not take away from any class B standout player.  I just think it would be easier to shut down them down and go to depth for scoring.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby power-aid14 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:28 am

Bottineau might have been able to win state last year in class A.
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:44 am

power-aid14 wrote:Bottineau might have been able to win state last year in class A.
In general, I would say, although I love Class B basketball, that the depth and benches in Class A would be too much for the average Class B team.  But the good players at both levels are good players.  If you are so fortunate to have enough in a season, you could compete, not just with the lower and mid-pack Class A's, but with the best.  However I would still probably have taken Mandan over Bottineau last year (not 10 games out of 10 games though - so I'm giving Bottineau a shot), but Bottineau could have won the EDC and been in the state title game and been way more competitive. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:45 am

Fargo Souths JV won the Lisbon Chirstmas tournament!! they beat Lisbons Varsity by 20 pts in the championship!!

Most Class B schools could not beat good Class A JV teams
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 am

power-aid14 wrote:Bottineau might have been able to win state last year in class A.

NOT A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby O_Snap » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:08 am

Class A teams can't hardly compete with Mandan... let alone a class B team...
O_Snap

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:11 am

with the exception of Mandan how do you think that class b teams would fair against class A as a whole?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 am

The Schwab wrote:with the exception of Mandan how do you think that class b teams would fair against class A as a whole?

Look at some of the Class A JV schedules.... alot of the West Class A teams JVs play Class B varsity teams,  some Class A sophomore teams play Class B teams.... I agree there are alot of good Class B players but most B TEAMS have girls starting or playing major minutes that would get cut on a good Class A team.  Im sorry but thats the way it is...  if you think a community of 200 students can put the same quality team on the floor as a big school of 1000 students or more your kidding yourself!   Why do you think the High School Activities Association is looking at creating a 3rd Class?  its because of competition.   I remember 4 years ago, Casselton was ranked #1 in Class B, they played Fargo Souths JV in a tournament in Kindred and beat them by 2 pts.... When a good Class B teams beats a South, Red River, Shanley, West Fargo, Mandan, BHS, Century, Dickinson, Minot, or Jamestown's Varsity then we can have this discussion.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:10 pm

How does Shanley compete than...280 kids 9-12.  They are drawing from a very small group of kids and both the girls and boys are #1 in the EDC.  Also, Shanley has to deal with fielding a hockey team...something that hardly any class B schools have to deal with.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:13 pm

bballfan1 wrote:How does Shanley compete than...280 kids 9-12.  They are drawing from a very small group of kids and both the girls and boys are #1 in the EDC.  Also, Shanley has to deal with fielding a hockey team...something that hardly any class B schools have to deal with.

they are having one good year every once in awhile there will be a class b team that would do good in a

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:22 pm

cdub1 wrote:
bballfan1 wrote:How does Shanley compete than...280 kids 9-12.  They are drawing from a very small group of kids and both the girls and boys are #1 in the EDC.  Also, Shanley has to deal with fielding a hockey team...something that hardly any class B schools have to deal with.

they are having one good year every once in awhile there will be a class b team that would do good in a

so...if every couple of years a smaller school will do well in class A, aren't there enough class B teams in the state that you will get a group (or at least a few) teams from class B to compete with teams from class A (maybe not mandan)
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:32 am

I think the girls could compete better than the guys. Class A are just so big...Class B schools are dwindling.....I remember...jees been 20 years now...Glen Ullin winning the holiday tournaments..so could class B compete absolutely...but the big difference is you would have to take the absolute best class b teams to compete against class A....would be nice to have seen a game like Bott. vs Mandan....would be a big $$ maker in my opinion....
bigpoppakdog

Postby cdub1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:43 am

bballfan1 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

so...if every couple of years a smaller school will do well in class A, aren't there enough class B teams in the state that you will get a group (or at least a few) teams from class B to compete with teams from class A (maybe not mandan)

i think everyyear there is at least one team boys or girls who could compete with girls more like 3 or 4 every year

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:12 am

Yeah I believe you could have taken Dickinson Trinity(Class B??) and have competed against any class A team the past few years...but other than that, no I don't believe you could get more than 2 or 3 teams girls or boys that could compete with more than the bottom 2 or 3 class A teams....Girls maybe a little different, but not too much in my opinion....New Salem girls were ranked #1 and I don't think they would match up with any of the teams in Class A very well at all.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Bearsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:52 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Yeah I believe you could have taken Dickinson Trinity(Class B??) and have competed against any class A team the past few years...but other than that, no I don't believe you could get more than 2 or 3 teams girls or boys that could compete with more than the bottom 2 or 3 class A teams....Girls maybe a little different, but not too much in my opinion....New Salem girls were ranked #1 and I don't think they would match up with any of the teams in Class A very well at all.

Boys.....Trinity wouldn't have had a prayer(ironic, isn't it?)........ sorry..... took them WAY too long to setup a play.... Shot Clock would have killed them!!!  The team was a team that had to setup a play and pull other teams out of a zone...... and Glasser would have been dogged by the best..... Kick, Dressler, and others!

But this is a girls and how often did the girls take state?  I don't remember........
Last edited by Bearsfan on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearsfan

Postby Ginsbach » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Last year, Hankinson played Wahpeton at NDSCS, and only lost by a couple points.
Last edited by Ginsbach on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginsbach
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Because Shanley is a private school. Quite often they go to Shanley just for sports. Thomas Dryburgh who was a 6'9" boys standout a couple years back is a great example of moving there for sports. He was a class B kid.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:16 pm

bruins44 wrote:Fargo Souths JV won the Lisbon Chirstmas tournament!! they beat Lisbons Varsity by 20 pts in the championship!!

Most Class B schools could not beat good Class A JV teams

Who was even in the tournament? That region down there is not known for it girls basketball anyway.

As far as your last statement, should most of the schools with way too many freshman and sophomores playing be able to beat a probably Junior laden JV team from South. Obviously the big school JV team would beat most. Especially in girls. There are as many students in South as there are alot of the Class B towns.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Girls