2023-2024 State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2023-2024 State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament

Postby Sorenson23 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:05 am

State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament
@ Jamestown Civic Center

Thursday February 29th
G1 - #2 Bowman County def #7 Maple River (21-5) 69-43
G2 - #6 Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier def #3 Central McLean 43-42
G3 - #1 May-Port-C-G def #8 Kenmare-Bowbells 64-43
G4 - #4 Sargent County def #5 Our Redeemer's 54-52

Friday March 1st
G5 - #3 Central McLean def 7 Maple River 66-43
G6 - #5 Our Redeemer's def #8 Kenmare-Bowbells 42-41
G7 - #6 Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier def #2 Bowman County 53-36
G8 - #1 May-Port-C-G def #4 Sargent County 63-36

Saturday March 2nd
G9 - 7th - #8 Kenmare-Bowbells def #7 Maple River 46-30
G10 - 5th - #3 Central McLean def #5 Our Redeemer's 62-36
G11 - 3rd - #4 Sargent County def #2 Bowman County 45-44
G12 - State Title Game - #1 May-Port-C-G def #6 Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier 55-41

State Champions - May-Port-C-G Patriots (26-2)
Runner up - Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier (24-5)
3rd - Sargent County Bulldogs (24-4)
4th - Bowman County Bulldogs (24-4)
5th - Central McLean Cougars (26-3)
6th - Our Redeemer's Knights (18-9)
7th - Kenmare-Bowbells Honkers (20-9)
8th - Maple River Raiders (21-8)
Last edited by Sorenson23 on Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: 2023-2024 State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:24 pm

Going to be a fun tournament to watch. Just think, if they didn't make the switch to 3 classes we would be almost guaranteed seeing Northern Cass/Kindred, Thompson, Langdon, Shiloh in this tournament instead of being able to watch Maple River, Sargent County, Central McLean, MayPort.

My pick is MayPort to win it all. They are just too quick and intense on defense. There are going to be some great games to watch and some possible upsets as well. Should be a great tournament.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:18 am

I'll take Bowman, EKM, May-Port and Sargent County in the 1st round.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:45 pm

I wonder how many years it will be before everyone is sick of seeing Kenmare, Sargent County, Mayport CG , EKM and Bowman in the State tournament every year?

I am cheering for Maple-River. For them to beat Power House Landgon... Wow what a game.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:53 pm

maddog1971 wrote:I wonder how many years it will be before everyone is sick of seeing Kenmare, Sargent County, Mayport CG , EKM and Bowman in the State tournament every year?

I am cheering for Maple-River. For them to beat Power House Landgon... Wow what a game.

I think things will be more likely to change from year to year now. Yes, you're still going to have your larger schools and schools with great programs get in there more often than others. However, take a look at Region 2 this year. Langdon loses the championship and then has to turn around 2 days later and beat another ranked team to make it to state. Or take Benson County, from the semifinals they needed to beat two out of three ranked teams to get to state in a 5 day span. That's a tough road either way. The nice thing with this format is it did give us a chance for a Region with two of the top teams in the state to get both to the tournament.

Like you said with Maple River, nice to get a chance to see them make the tournament. With Northern Cass, Kindred, and Sargent County all in Region 1, what would of their chances been this year?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:49 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:I wonder how many years it will be before everyone is sick of seeing Kenmare, Sargent County, Mayport CG , EKM and Bowman in the State tournament every year?

I think things will be more likely to change from year to year now. Yes, you're still going to have your larger schools and schools with great programs get in there more often than others. However, take a look at Region 2 this year. Langdon loses the championship and then has to turn around 2 days later and beat another ranked team to make it to state. Or take Benson County, from the semifinals they needed to beat two out of three ranked teams to get to state in a 5 day span. That's a tough road either way. The nice thing with this format is it did give us a chance for a Region with two of the top teams in the state to get both to the tournament.

Like you said with Maple River, nice to get a chance to see them make the tournament. With Northern Cass, Kindred, and Sargent County all in Region 1, what would of their chances been this year?

I'd say under 10%. Northern Cass beat them by 27 in the BCT
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:49 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

Also nice to see Valley City/Devils Lake/Watford City get rewarded for having the right represenation on the board........
Sorry I know its a dead horse, I just couldn't resist..... :o
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:53 pm

My Guess on what the B would have been under the 2-class format:

Region 1: Northern Cass (Class A State Qualifier)
Region 2: Thompson (Class A State Qualifier)
Region 3: Carrington (Did not qualify for state)
Region 4: Langdon Area EM (Did not qualify for state)
Region 5: Bismarck (Class A State Qualifier)
Region 6: Bottineau (Class A State Qualifier)
Region 7: Bowman County (Class B State Qualifier)
Region 8: Kenmare (Class B State Qualifier)

Kind of interesting to look at. 4 teams above are in the Class A State tournament, 2 teams are in the Class B State tournament, and 2 teams did not make it to state.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:32 pm

Central McLean would beat Shiloh this year...so I'd got with them from R5
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:49 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Central McLean would beat Shiloh this year...so I'd got with them from R5

That would have been a fun region final!
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:01 am

State Field and how they fared vs. each other in 2023-2024

May-Port-CG: 3-0
12/1: DEF. Kenmare-Bowbells 49-26
12/16: DEF. Maple River 63-40
1/20: DEF. Sargent County 54-39

Bowman County: 3-0
1/27: DEF. Kenmare-Bowbells 53-47
2/5: DEF. Central McLean 57-46
2/22: DEF. Central McLean 46-43

Central McLean: 2-2
12/27: DEF. Kenmare-Bowbells 39-33
2/2: DEF. Our Redeemer's 47-30

Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier: 3-1
1/8: DEF. Maple River 56-52
2/5: DEF. Sargent County 60-55
2/20: DEF. Maple River 63-47

Sargent County: 2-3
2/12: DEF. Maple River 55-32
2/22: DEF. Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier 52-48 OT

Maple River: 1-4
1/29: DEF. Sargent County 62-58

Kenmare-Bowbells: 1-3
1/6: DEF. Our Redeemer's 68-56

Our Redeemer's: 1-2
2/22: DEF. Kenmare-Bowbells 34-23

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:22 am

First Round predictions
Bowman County, Central McLean, May-Port-C-G, Sargent County
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:14 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Also nice to see Valley City/Devils Lake/Watford City get rewarded for having the right represenation on the board........

Valley City is the #7 seed, Devils Lake is the #3 seed, Watford City is the #8 seed. Wahpeton and Turtle Mountain didn't qualify for State. Those Old A teams fit in pretty well in the New A. If they were playing AA this year, Valley City and Watford City would've won maybe 5 games, Devils Lake maybe 10. Wahpeton and Turtle Mountain somewhere around 2. It's fine to hold a grudge against those schools, just please be aware of the fact they got to play some competitive games instead of losing to Minot, Legacy, Davies and Red River by 50+ points.

With last year's 2-Class system, the State B tournament would have Shiloh, Northern Cass, Bottineau and Thompson in it. Central McLean, Maple River, Sargent County, May-Port and Our Redeemer's would have all been left at home. If you're still advocating for the old 2-Class system, you're saying it's a bad thing that Devils Lake, Valley City, Watford City, Central McLean, Maple River, Sargent County, May-Port and Our Redeemer's get to play in a State Tournament this weekend.

Thompson is a big favorite to win this weekend's State A, they would've been an even bigger favorite to win a hypothetical Old State B.

The only thing different for AA schools this year is that they got to schedule 4 or more competitive non-conference games instead of beating up on the new middle class schools. Pretty sure this season is proving that this 3-Class system was the right move.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:31 pm

I also like the fact that many ND teams played in some out of state games. I think there was one held in MN where 4 out of 5 ND teams beat ranked MN teams. Add that to the crossover games held in DL, VC, and many other places we got to see many matchups we wouldn't have ever seen in the old 2 class system.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:18 pm

Predictions:

1. MPCG
2. Bowman County
3. Sargent County
4. Central Mclean
5. EKM
6. Our Redeemers
7. Maple River
8. Kenmare

I agree that there will be many close games throughout the tournament.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 am

Thundersnow wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Valley City is the #7 seed, Devils Lake is the #3 seed, Watford City is the #8 seed. Wahpeton and Turtle Mountain didn't qualify for State. Those Old A teams fit in pretty well in the New A. If they were playing AA this year, Valley City and Watford City would've won maybe 5 games, Devils Lake maybe 10. Wahpeton and Turtle Mountain somewhere around 2. It's fine to hold a grudge against those schools, just please be aware of the fact they got to play some competitive games instead of losing to Minot, Legacy, Davies and Red River by 50+ points.

With last year's 2-Class system, the State B tournament would have Shiloh, Northern Cass, Bottineau and Thompson in it. Central McLean, Maple River, Sargent County, May-Port and Our Redeemer's would have all been left at home. If you're still advocating for the old 2-Class system, you're saying it's a bad thing that Devils Lake, Valley City, Watford City, Central McLean, Maple River, Sargent County, May-Port and Our Redeemer's get to play in a State Tournament this weekend.

Thompson is a big favorite to win this weekend's State A, they would've been an even bigger favorite to win a hypothetical Old State B.

The only thing different for AA schools this year is that they got to schedule 4 or more competitive non-conference games instead of beating up on the new middle class schools. Pretty sure this season is proving that this 3-Class system was the right move.

I thoroughly enjoy your putting words in my mouth and your ability to ready my mind, along with your ability to seamlessly predict who would have went to state had we not changed classes.

If, in your opinion, 3 of the 5 schools that moved down advancing to the state is an improvement for the state when the reason the change occurred was due to NDHSAA board members from those schools, so be it.

I think lots of good has came from going to 3 classes. You stated much of it.

I also think that a group of "have nots" have now become the "haves", and we now have an entirely different group of "have nots". I wonder how Jamestown, Williston, GF Central girls, etc, feel now that they don't have those new "haves" to compete against when they weren't able to compete before being moved up? I wonder how Carrington's boys, Lisbon's girls, HCV's girls, etc feel when they couldn't compete in the class they were in before getting moved up? To use your line, "If you are advocating for the new 3 class system than what you're saying its a good thing that those teams are now getting cleaned up on now and have to stand in the back of line, because the old 'have nots" had to stand at the back of the line before".
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Thundersnow » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:49 pm

Flying Wallenda, I have more to say, but I'll save it for the weekend, and I'm going to move it over to the 3-Class System thread under the Class B Basketball page because it's more appropriate there than here where we should be talking about what I think is going to be a great tournament.

My predictions will be:

1) Bowman County
2) May-Port-C-G
3) Central McLean
4) Sargent County
5) Maple River
6) Kenmare-Bowbells
7) Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
8) Our Redeemer's
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:48 pm

1. May-Port-CG
2. Central McLean
3. Bowman County
4. Sargent County
5. Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
6. Our Redeemer's
7. Maple River
8. Kenmare-Bowbells

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby KG4MVP » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:54 pm

Why the heck aren't all 4 games televised? The night cap has to be watched online?? Ridiculous.
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:30 pm

and now we get to the part of moving to a 3-class system that is not so fun. The regular season saw a lot of positive feedback. I agree with much of it (but I'm not from Lisbon!). The best part of the 3-class system is the flexibility of making a schedule that fits your team. Now we will start to hear about the tv coverage, lack of attendance, the terrible facilities. I think it was a Fargo sports person that warned those that were proponents of a 3-class system to "be careful what you wish for". Hard to say what the right system is as none of them will ever be perfect. The allure and pageantry of "THE B" is now gone. I think eventually we will become like other states were the top class with be THE tourney to follow and the one that gets the most media attention. Would be interesting to hear from teams like Central McLean how they feel about making it to state under this format compared to the possibility of making it under the old format.
Last edited by RiverMiner99 on Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:14 pm

They are on WDAY stations for both tournaments...Class B will have to flip on over to 6.2 or whatever that is on their cable stations; Class A is already on the 6.2 stations and will flip over to normal WDAY for the nightcaps; so they are all televised but unfortunately in different locations (which adds to the confusion).

CLASS A: https://ndhsaanow.com/news/2013/ndhsaa- ... -televised
CLASS B: https://ndhsaanow.com/news/2012/ndhsaa- ... -televised
or pay the $19.99/month subscription for WDAY+ to get ALL games (from Title to 7th place)

NDHSAA & WDAY are part of the problem...why do we have a monopoly on just one station hosting these on TV when you could have two and make more $$. KVLY used to carry the post seasons and then WDAY took over.

BEK sports is only a tier II broadcaster (non-major sports state tournaments, regional games or playoff football before Titles + Volleyball State).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:31 pm

WalkingStick wrote:1. May-Port-CG
2. Central McLean
3. Bowman County
4. Sargent County
5. Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
6. Our Redeemer's
7. Maple River
8. Kenmare-Bowbells

Well my predictions are already wrong...Nice comeback by EKM vs. CM

Now I would slide Bowman to 2, SC to 3, EKM to 4 and CM to 5

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby KG4MVP » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:33 pm

WalkingStick wrote:They are on WDAY stations for both tournaments...Class B will have to flip on over to 6.2 or whatever that is on their cable stations; Class A is already on the 6.2 stations and will flip over to normal WDAY for the nightcaps; so they are all televised but unfortunately in different locations (which adds to the confusion).

or pay the $19.99/month subscription for WDAY+ to get ALL games (from Title to 7th place)

NDHSAA & WDAY are part of the problem...why do we have a monopoly on just one station hosting these on TV when you could have two and make more $$. KVLY used to carry the post seasons and then WDAY took over.

BEK sports is only a tier II broadcaster (non-major sports state tournaments, regional games or playoff football before Titles + Volleyball State).

I dont get that channel with YouTubeTV. So I guess I won't be watching. Why would you put your #1 team on an alternate channel/streaming only? They dropped the ball on that one.
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:11 pm

KG4MVP wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:They are on WDAY stations for both tournaments...Class B will have to flip on over to 6.2 or whatever that is on their cable stations; Class A is already on the 6.2 stations and will flip over to normal WDAY for the nightcaps; so they are all televised but unfortunately in different locations (which adds to the confusion).

I dont get that channel with YouTubeTV. So I guess I won't be watching. Why would you put your #1 team on an alternate channel/streaming only? They dropped the ball on that one.

Because you have A & B at the same time and they chose to equal out the showings of each class. Either way a team is shafted by their decisions. They moved another #1 team to the main station.

After this year, people should be up-in-arms with the NDHSAA on only having 1 station involved in showing these games...allow another station (I'd say BEK since they are already a tier broadcaster) to have one of these divisions for tournaments. Let WDAY choose which division they want as the main broadcast station and the other division gets whomever wasn't chosen. Sign contracts for 'x' number of years.
This allows fans to flip between the two instead of potentially not having one of the alternate stations. Everything is about the $$ for the NDHSAA but they lost out on the opportunity to make more of it by not utilizing two stations, in my eyes.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bison football73 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:50 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:and now we get to the part of moving to a 3-class system that is not so fun. The regular season saw a lot of positive feedback. I agree with much of it (but I'm not from Lisbon!). The best part of the 3-class system is the flexibility of making a schedule that fits your team. Now we will start to hear about the tv coverage, lack of attendance, the terrible facilities. I think it was a Fargo sports person that warned those that were proponents of a 3-class system to "be careful what you wish for". Hard to say what the right system is as none of them will ever be perfect. The allure and pageantry of "THE B" is now gone. I think eventually we will become like other states were the top class with be THE tourney to follow and the one that gets the most media attention. Would be interesting to hear from teams like Central McLean how they feel about making it to state under this format compared to the possibility of making it under the old format.

I’m sure they don’t care they’re just happy they made it. I agree with previous posts this is a nice change of pace from the domination of the same 6 teams year in and year out.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Girls