2023 State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2023 State Class B Girls Basketball Tournament

Postby Sorenson23 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:32 am

First Round Central Cass & Thompson rolled. But, one out of the two Semi-Finals will be close, Rugby and Central Cass. The first half should be competitive, until the second half, where the Squirrels pull away and win by 12. As for the second semifinal even though I'm a Region 5 fan, no way Garrison keeps up with Thompson, the Tommies rolled by 20+.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:59 am

Well the wheels fell off the Kenmare bus... They played not to get beat.... Girls were really tight and started yelling at each other..... Big Girl from Garrison was awesome on D all night long and did not let the Kenmare Bigs get going... Garrison was having fun... because that is what Basketball is supposed to be. Feel really bad for the Honker girls... I know they really wanted to play for the Championship but it was not meant to be.

BUT saying this was the most even matched tournament... maybe but still blow out games in the end.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:01 am

You have to love the parity there is in Class B basketball. We are guaranteed a 1st time Class B Champion! (Looking at the NDHSAA records since 1974). Also, it looks like participation for girls is doing better than the last few years. I have not checked all the rosters, but it sure seemed like this years tournament has more seniors than we've seen in many years. For Rugby to have 9 girls still on the team as seniors is an incredible feat. Their program should be proud.

The Bowman County girls looked like they had a good plan to handle the CCHS press, but were not prepared for the strength and speed. Here's a tip for future teams, bring in your schools 8th/9th grade boys to practice against this type of pressure. The back up girls in Class B can't give your starters the look in practice to be prepared for that type of game.

LAEM battled hard, but in the end had too many turnovers. Would have been nice to see what would have happened if they could have defended the paint better and forced Rugby to shoot more 3's.

Thompson looked like the most complete basketball team yesterday. The share the basketball and move without the ball better than any other team in the tournament.

Garrison's dreams are still alive. They held it together after Kenmare/Bowbells jumped out to that early lead. TV timeouts will give Garrison a chance. Kenmare had a bad shooting night at the worst possible time of the year, but you have to give Garrison some credit for that as well.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:41 pm

I don't think Kenmare/Bowbells were beating anyone yesterday, Coach was blaming a lot on the refs and they had zero to do with what the game was bringing, also he was out Coached
Garrison has a Good Coach

One thing that will remain in Class B going forward with the new system, is a team with 2-3 players having the same last name and also most teams having minimal depth on the the Roster, I think we see tonight that CC & Thompson do belong in the new Class A but I don't think we see any massive blowouts, we'll just see the ability to sub in and sub out, every year we see a Cinderella in Boys and Girls and this year its Garrison even though they only have 2 losses for the season, they've really had to manage their resources...Hence Coach

I think an upset is possible tonight also
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bingobangobongo » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:22 pm

winner-within wrote:One thing that will remain in Class B going forward with the new system, is a team with 2-3 players having the same last name

It's been pretty impressive with Central Cass having at least 3 Cotton's on varsity the last 2-3 years. I think all 4 of the Cotton sisters may have been on varsity at the same time for a year.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:36 pm

It's hard to imagine why Rugby just let those last few seconds run out. Even 2 made free throws would still have been a one-possession game. They could have easily had 5 seconds or more to get a shot off.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:18 am

4 very tight games on Day 2
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:55 am

Updated
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:37 pm

How long has the Garrison coach been coaching? It doesn't say in the program.

In the first game the Kenmare coach was on the refs the whole game. He was much better on Friday. I thought #5 had a huge attitude in both games. She never thinks she fouls.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:44 pm

Flip wrote:How long has the Garrison coach been coaching? It doesn't say in the program.

In the first game the Kenmare coach was on the refs the whole game. He was much better on Friday. I thought #5 had a huge attitude in both games. She never thinks she fouls.

Kenmare's #5? Coach's daughter...
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:04 pm

Flip wrote:How long has the Garrison coach been coaching? It doesn't say in the program.

At least 10 yrs in Garrison. When we played Kenmare, coach did the same thing, was on the officials.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BISONFAN18 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:19 am

winner-within wrote:I don't think Kenmare/Bowbells were beating anyone yesterday, Coach was blaming a lot on the refs and they had zero to do with what the game was bringing, also he was out Coached
Garrison has a Good Coach

One thing that will remain in Class B going forward with the new system, is a team with 2-3 players having the same last name and also most teams having minimal depth on the the Roster, I think we see tonight that CC & Thompson do belong in the new Class A but I don't think we see any massive blowouts, we'll just see the ability to sub in and sub out, every year we see a Cinderella in Boys and Girls and this year its Garrison even though they only have 2 losses for the season, they've really had to manage their resources...Hence Coach

I think an upset is possible tonight also

Shameful behavior to be on the officials. I am not sure if Kenmare's coach still officiates when he has time, but he used to be an official.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:04 am

Who was the outstanding senior athlete? Does anyone have any stats on her?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:49 am

leroybla wrote:Who was the outstanding senior athlete? Does anyone have any stats on her?

Ellie Braaten, Ellie finished her HS career with 2483 points, 1010 rebounds, 751 steals and 676 assists. I’d say she’s pretty deserving, I think her and Crockett were head and shoulders above everyone else.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:53 am

I'm sorry for asking, but, from where?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:54 am

leroybla wrote:I'm sorry for asking, but, from where?

Westhope
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:28 am

Those are extraordinary stats (rebounds) for a player that's only 5' 3" tall! Does she expect to play next year in college? How many years was she a starter at Westhope-Newburg?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:32 am

leroybla wrote:Those are extraordinary stats (rebounds) for a player that's only 5' 3" tall! Does she expect to play next year in college? How many years was she a starter at Westhope-Newburg?

Valley city
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:19 pm

Very competitive games! Fun to watch. Great example of why people often predict the team with the best player in the tournament will win. Smith was the difference maker in both the semis and finals. Central Cass seemed to get in some trouble when they didn't/wouldn't run their offense through her. Thompson handled the CC press very well especially when you consider that a few of those girls are freshman.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:52 pm

packers21 wrote:
leroybla wrote:Who was the outstanding senior athlete? Does anyone have any stats on her?

Ellie Braaten, Ellie finished her HS career with 2483 points, 1010 rebounds, 751 steals and 676 assists. I’d say she’s pretty deserving, I think her and Crockett were head and shoulders above everyone else.

Crockett almost surely had better stats that Decontee Smith, but I'd argue Decontee is the better player. There is no way anyone can say that Crockett is head and shoulders above her. Can't comment on Ellie as I haven't seen her play.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:17 pm

east sider wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Crockett almost surely had better stats that Decontee Smith, but I'd argue Decontee is the better player. There is no way anyone can say that Crockett is head and shoulders above her. Can't comment on Ellie as I haven't seen her play.

I was refeering about the 8 girls up for senior athlete, Crockett was senior athlete in Region 1. So consensus among the coaches there too is she’s the better player, I tend to agree. Smith is very good too.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:17 pm

Final Thoughts on the Tournament

Awesome championship game. The improbable banked 3 by Thompson to send it to OT, then being in control early in OT to CC grinding back in their signature style. Crowd seemed pumped the whole game and made the last B of this kind really feel special.

Very good coaching by all teams in the winners bracket. Unfortunately there were a few plays that tainted some of the high level of play: going for 2 when down 3 with no time left, twice - including the Championship - I saw teams not foul when they should have, and maybe the worst was the infamous inbounds play in the semi finals.

CC always impresses me with their defense but their tenacity on the offensive glass is just as impressive. How many second chance points did they have in each game? Smith had a special tournament. How clutch were those 2 FTs in the semis.

COY has to be between Thompson and Garrison. Thompson played wonderful team basketball and Garrison squeezed out the most of 5 players than any other team in the tournament. CC and Rugby also great but they had more horses to work with.

Excited to see some of the Fab Freshmen grow like Sage, Hurst, Schlehr to name a few.

Every year I think the the state games are too physical, this year was pretty good but thought at certain times they let a lot go.

Great tournament but it's time to move on. Excited to see the new B next year!
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:53 pm

packers21 wrote:
east sider wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I was refeering about the 8 girls up for senior athlete, Crockett was senior athlete in Region 1. So consensus among the coaches there too is she’s the better player, I tend to agree. Smith is very good too.

Oh I see. Hate to be the coaches who had to make that pick in R1. Both were very deserving.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls