Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:17 pm

Started the same thread for the boys games. Let's get good, healthy discussion for each Region going.

Last night (1/5/21)

Cavalier 73, Larimore 48
FSHP 46, BCN 41
Midway-Minto 49, PRFL 16

I didn't see any of these games last night.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Re: Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:52 am

Six games tonight on the girls side of Region 2.

Grafton @ FSHP
DVE @ MPCG
Larimore @ HCV
LAEM @ Midway-Minto
Thompson @ North Border
PRFL @ Hatton-Northwood
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:08 am

Grafton @ FSHP - won't be pretty
DVE @ MPCG - MPCG
Larimore @ HCV - close
LAEM @ Midway-Minto - by far the most interesting. Give me MM at home.
Thompson @ North Border - Thompson
PRFL @ Hatton-Northwood - HN
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:41 pm

Flip wrote:Grafton @ FSHP - won't be pretty
DVE @ MPCG - MPCG
Larimore @ HCV - close

In a non-Covid year this would’ve been a great time for Grafton to let their JV play for this varsity game and
schedule an extra exhibition game against a good MN team like an Ada-Borup.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:20 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
DVE @ MPCG - MPCG
Larimore @ HCV - close

In a non-Covid year this would’ve been a great time for Grafton to let their JV play for this varsity game and

Does region 2 allow that? I thought a few years ago that it wasn't allowed. BUT they did add East Grand Forks to their schedule for late January.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
DVE @ MPCG - MPCG
Larimore @ HCV - close

Does region 2 allow that? I thought a few years ago that it wasn't allowed. BUT they did add East Grand Forks to their schedule for late January.

I know it was a thing teams did not too long ago when a varsity team was in a really down year. Good JV teams would play the “2 point” game and the varsity would schedule a good non-conference team. North Border did it when Fordville Lankin was really down for a few years and would get Stephen-Argyle or Kittson Central on their schedule.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:27 pm

Does region 2 allow teams to play MN teams? Do you mean just this season?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:32 pm

Flip wrote:Does region 2 allow teams to play MN teams? Do you mean just this season?

Yes they do but I meant for covid reasons. HCV usually plays Ada-Borup in boys and girls. NB usually plays Kittson Central or Stephen Argyle, and there are other teams right on the border of ND/MN that will do that.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:18 pm

Flip wrote:Does region 2 allow teams to play MN teams? Do you mean just this season?

My statement of does Region 2 allow that pertained to the JV vs. Varsity statement cause I know a few years ago it wasn't allowed and I know other regions don't allow it...but some do.

MN/ND is allowed but it's more about travel distance and I believe MN's rule is within 50 miles of the border is good
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:57 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

My statement of does Region 2 allow that pertained to the JV vs. Varsity statement cause I know a few years ago it wasn't allowed and I know other regions don't allow it...but some do.

MN/ND is allowed but it's more about travel distance and I believe MN's rule is within 50 miles of the border is good

I'm not saying it's not a rule, but Grafton JV played Maple Valley last season. Obviously, that isn't a region game.

I know Park Christian has gone to Jamestown before.

Not being able to schedule MN teams really hurts for those teams in the far NE corner of the state. Just a lot of travel for those teams just to find games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:33 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I'm not saying it's not a rule, but Grafton JV played Maple Valley last season. Obviously, that isn't a region game.

Not being able to schedule MN teams really hurts for those teams in the far NE corner of the state. Just a lot of travel for those teams just to find games.

Exactly. Teams in R1 and R2 can get plenty of games against good teams that are far closer to them than their actual Region opponents. It's also nice to see a different style of play and compete against strong teams from other areas. Teams like Grafton & Thompson playing an Ada-Borup in girls basketball is better for them than pounding teams that are clearly rebuilding by 50, 60, and 70 points.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:36 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear enough to state that this MN rule is just for THIS YEAR because of Covid...Yes, Park Christian has gone to Jamestown, W-L & MV before and will play Oak Grove this year.

I remember Thompson should have sent their JV girls somewhere in Region one year but were not allowed to (JV mostly played but it counted as a V game). I know Region 1 doesn't allow it for Region games either.

I don't think Ada is quite the team they've been in past years...but yes those would have been much better matchups for R2's top boys & girls programs.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I don't think Ada is quite the team they've been in past years...but yes those would have been much better matchups for R2's top boys & girls programs.

I think you're right last year was the first year since 2005 when they didn't play in the section championship game under Coach Smart.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:27 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear enough to state that this MN rule is just for THIS YEAR because of Covid...Yes, Park Christian has gone to Jamestown, W-L & MV before and will play Oak Grove this year.

I remember Thompson should have sent their JV girls somewhere in Region one year but were not allowed to (JV mostly played but it counted as a V game). I know Region 1 doesn't allow it for Region games either.

I don't think Ada is quite the team they've been in past years...but yes those would have been much better matchups for R2's top boys & girls programs.

When North Border did it with Fordville-Lankin in boys, the JV roster was the official roster for the game, so it counted as a varsity game for the team, but then the school scheduled the extra game with Stephen-Argyle so the varsity only players had another quality game against a good opponent. So had the JV gotten beat that day, it would've affected the actual varsity's standings in the Region.
Last edited by BasketballMind on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:36 am

BasketballMind wrote:Six games tonight on the girls side of Region 2.

Grafton @ FSHP
DVE @ MPCG
Larimore @ HCV
LAEM @ Midway-Minto
Thompson @ North Border
PRFL @ Hatton-Northwood

Grafton 82, FSHP 30
DVE 33, MPCG 50
Larimore 35, HCV 22
LAEM 69, Midway-Minto 62
Thompson 56, North Border 15
Hatton-Northwood 44, PRFL 28

HCV and Larimore was a very close game up until a late run in the last 3 minutes by Larimore. The score was 23-20 and HCV had the ball with an opportunity to tie it up in the fourth quarter. Shots weren't falling for them last night and ultimately that was the difference. Defensively they looked much better and seem to be improving every time they step on the floor. Big improvement from the first time around when they gave up 60 points to the Polar Bears. Shots just weren't falling last night and that was the difference.
Last edited by BasketballMind on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:31 am

Confirmed! Region 2 does NOT allow a school to schedule a JV to play a Varsity for Varsity result; I think it was allowed back when their were districts but not an option now.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:49 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Confirmed! Region 2 does NOT allow a school to schedule a JV to play a Varsity for Varsity result; I think it was allowed back when their were districts but not an option now.

Thanks for looking into that! The years I'm talking about were the mid-2000s so that logic matches up. It's a little disappointing that they changed their tune on that ruling. I think if a high school team is confident in their JV to win a conference game, they should have the freedom to do that and schedule an extra game that will benefit them in the long run.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:03 pm

3 games tonight.

Four Winds @ Grafton

PRFL @ Benson County

FSHP @ Northern Cass
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby ballernd » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 pm

What's the predictions for the Four Winds and Grafton game?
ballernd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 pm

ballernd wrote:What's the predictions for the Four Winds and Grafton game?

Looking at scores, I don't think FWM has the team they've had the past couple years so I'd expect Grafton to win by double digits.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Scores from last night (1/8/21)

Four winds/Minnewaukan 44, Grafton 70
PRFL 15, Benson County 38
FSHP 25, Northern Cass 72

Nothing too surprising here.

Two games taking place today (1/9/21)

HCV @ Thompson
North Border @ Midway/Minto
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:16 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Scores from last night (1/8/21)

Four winds/Minnewaukan 44, Grafton 70
PRFL 15, Benson County 38
FSHP 25, Northern Cass 72

Nothing too surprising here.

Two games taking place today (1/9/21)

HCV @ Thompson
North Border @ Midway/Minto

Thompson 66, HCV 12
Midway/Minto 60, North Border 25
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Thompson (7-0) will likely go into next Saturday’s game against Kindred at 9-0 in their biggest test of the year by far. They follow Kindred with their first matchup with Grafton on the 19th.

Two very tough games in a row for Thompson. They have been playing very well up to this point. Good opportunity to see where they’re at and what they need to work on before tournaments get started.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 am

Busy night on the girls side of R2. Six games going on this evening.

Warwick @ Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich @ Cavalier
FSHP @ MPCG
PRFL @ HCV
Larimore @ Thompson
Midway-Minto @ Hatton-Northwood
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:01 am

BasketballMind wrote:Busy night on the girls side of R2. Six games going on this evening.

Warwick @ Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich @ Cavalier
FSHP @ MPCG
PRFL @ HCV
Larimore @ Thompson
Midway-Minto @ Hatton-Northwood

Drayton/Valley-Edinburg 49, Warwick 34
Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich 64, Cavalier 19
May-Port CG 57, Finley-Sharon/Hope-Page 22
Thompson 63, Larimore 22
Hillsboro/Central Valley 32, Park River/Fordville Lankin 26
Midway-Minto 66, Hatton/Northwood 52

Burros get their first win the of season in an albeit low-scoring, but very competitive basketball game. I only caught the end of the game but did see the final few minutes. Late in the fourth quarter the Aggies threw on a press, forced an HCV timeout, got a steal and lay-up coming off that timeout, and tied the game at 26. Looked to be a potential momentum shift and something that could've derailed the night to finish out the game.

On the ensuing possession, HCV brings the ball down and breaks the press. They get an open 3-point shot for one of the three 8th graders to play last night, Megan Ensign. It was her second three of the night and couldn't have come at a better time. 8th graders Haley Smelden and Kennedy Olsen also got meaningful minutes in this game when the Burros needed it. Ensign ended up leading the team in scoring with 9 total points. It's clear that HCV has improved a lot from the first game of the season. They have the ability to compete and keep themselves in basketball games against teams at their level.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Girls