2020-21 Season Discussion

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2020-21 Season Discussion

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:56 pm

vikingman wrote:I'm not a coach, and I'm not that involved with this anymore, but other than direct exchanges with local teams, I didn't think coaches were supposed to give game videos to other coaches. I got in to major hot water twice in the past for doing that -- one incident was about 8 years ago and another probably 15 years ago, so apparently attitudes have changed with the new technology. Obviously you can't control what some other team puts up on Youtube, but you can still limit the amount of games readily available by taking down your home games. I'm often asked to remove my streamed games at the end of the regular season so they can't be used for Region or State foes.

Considering it takes more effort to remove a game from Youtube than it does to just leave it, there must be SOME reason why some teams take them down. I remember teams using NFHS a couple of years ago that would take their videos off right after the game and indicate that they would be available again at the end of the season.

Region 1 is supposed to all use and share their video on Hudl...so region coaches would have access of it from either team (if both videoed). There is plenty of sharing of video statewide; in most cases a coach would go scout on an open night but can't do that now because of the pandemic attendance rules in place.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby muley14 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:33 am

Does anyone have opinions on Rugby? I thought they were bringing just about everyone back from last year so I had higher expectations than their current record. Most of their losses are against teams that have either some quality wins or are against good records but the strength of those records may be in question.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:38 am

muley14 wrote:Does anyone have opinions on Rugby? I thought they were bringing just about everyone back from last year so I had higher expectations than their current record. Most of their losses are against teams that have either some quality wins or are against good records but the strength of those records may be in question.

I was wondering this as well. I thought they brought everyone back. I was thinking they had a shot at an undefeated regular season.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:54 am

Flip wrote:
muley14 wrote:Does anyone have opinions on Rugby? I thought they were bringing just about everyone back from last year so I had higher expectations than their current record. Most of their losses are against teams that have either some quality wins or are against good records but the strength of those records may be in question.

I was wondering this as well. I thought they brought everyone back. I was thinking they had a shot at an undefeated regular season.

I believe they have a few key players out with injury lately (1 for the season). Have a difficult schedule as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby muley14 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info. I was hoping the Rugby/Carrington and Linton/Kidder games would help give some common opponent comparisons from east to west but if there are injuries in play they may not be as helpful.

Hopefully everyone recovers and are playing their best ball the end of the year.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Flip wrote:

I believe they have a few key players out with injury lately (1 for the season). Have a difficult schedule as well.

Didn't one key girl get hurt in Region VB Semifinal?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:51 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Flip wrote:

Didn't one key girl get hurt in Region VB Semifinal?

Yes, it was a knee injury and I read recently that she was out for the bball season.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby airmail » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:50 pm

vikingman wrote:...I didn't think coaches were supposed to give game videos to other coaches.

Trust me. They do. Coaches have a buddy system just like any other profession, and will help out their friends from time to time. Especially if it helps one of them beat the team of a mutual "non-friend". Like Kindred. :lol:
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:55 pm

airmail wrote:
vikingman wrote:...I didn't think coaches were supposed to give game videos to other coaches.

Trust me. They do. Coaches have a buddy system just like any other profession, and will help out their friends from time to time. Especially if it helps one of them beat the team of a mutual "non-friend". Like Kindred. :lol:

Region 1 coaches are supposed to all upload and share their games on hudl...but honestly, if a coach has been there for years...an opponent knows the gist of their plays.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby vikingman » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:46 pm

I've been aware that when it came state tournament/FB playoff time, coaches would get their buddies to provide video of some upcoming foe. Where I got in trouble was providing video to one district coach when they were playing another team in the District tournament that was being held at my school. I also got in trouble for taping a game that did not involve my school's team and then posting highlights.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:16 am

vikingman wrote:I've been aware that when it came state tournament/FB playoff time, coaches would get their buddies to provide video of some upcoming foe. Where I got in trouble was providing video to one district coach when they were playing another team in the District tournament that was being held at my school. I also got in trouble for taping a game that did not involve my school's team and then posting highlights.

I always hated that when I was growing up, that you had to basically be a politician to get game tape on an upcoming opponent. Everyone wanted everything to be a secret. When I was in high school we'd have days in practice where our head coach or assistant would leave practice early to go scout an upcoming conference opponent, because we knew there was no chance to get the tape from the game. It was a little harder in those days when it was literal VHS tapes or if it was DVDs there weren't platforms like HUDL or YouTube that were as easy as they are now.

Prior to Region 2 breaking into a Super-Region you'd have certain guys from District 3 help out guys from District 4 on a handshake agreement and vice-versa. Or you'd have to find a non-conference opponent and grease the wheels to get a game tape as long as you had one for them in return. As if having one game tape is the oracle and will uncover the mysteries of the world and give a victory. To me it makes for a more productive game and makes the coaches and players better. I'm so happy that almost everything is available now, so if you want to you can stay on your couch and check out a future opponent you can do that.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:03 am

Danielle Hagler scored 38 for North Star vs Rugby tonight. I was there for 40 years and I don't recall anyone scoring that many in a single game -- then again, my memory isn't that great. (I CAN remember 3 different boys getting 40 or more)
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:21 am

vikingman wrote:Danielle Hagler scored 38 for North Star vs Rugby tonight. I was there for 40 years and I don't recall anyone scoring that many in a single game -- then again, my memory isn't that great. (I CAN remember 3 different boys getting 40 or more)

The stats/box score I received had her for 40
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby vikingman » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:26 am

I was going by the Rugby radio guy.I guess the home-team book is more likely to be correct than a visiting radio announcer.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:46 am

Oakes was impressive against Central Cass tonight--it really looked like CC was going to take their first loss until Smith took over for the last 6 minutes or so. Oakes handled the press very well, and were able to work it inside for a lot of good looks--fortunately for CC a lot of those good looks didn't result in points.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Girls