Numbers

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Numbers

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:13 pm

North Border 8
Cavalier 12 (I think)
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:48 pm

Belfield has either 8 or 9 out, and I'm told they will pull up a couple JH girls after Christmas to get to 10+ for the remainder of their season.

South Heart (formerly part of the Heart River co-op with Belfield) has between 20-25 girls out for basketball and fielded A, B, & C squads last night. Great to see. Thought I would share some good news given that the overall trends are pretty bleak.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:05 pm

The challenge of pulling JH girls up at mid-season is they can't be on the postseason roster, from what I understand. I believe it's somewhere in the NDHSAA guidelines that an athlete cannot participate more than 16 weeks in a season. I guess it depends when their JH season started. Up here in the Minot area a lot of JH teams started playing the first week of November.

There are people more knowledgeable than I am on this.... so correct me if I'm wrong.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:14 pm

Class B wrote:The challenge of pulling JH girls up at mid-season is they can't be on the postseason roster, from what I understand. I believe it's somewhere in the NDHSAA guidelines that an athlete cannot participate more than 16 weeks in a season. I guess it depends when their JH season started. Up here in the Minot area a lot of JH teams started playing the first week of November.

There are people more knowledgeable than I am on this.... so correct me if I'm wrong.

This is true, but if you expect a girl to compete in the postseason why would she be playing in the JH season?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:16 pm

Class B wrote:The challenge of pulling JH girls up at mid-season is they can't be on the postseason roster, from what I understand. I believe it's somewhere in the NDHSAA guidelines that an athlete cannot participate more than 16 weeks in a season. I guess it depends when their JH season started. Up here in the Minot area a lot of JH teams started playing the first week of November.

We would make sure our JH season would line up with our high school regular season schedule so we could bring the athletes up to play C squad (sometimes we'd have to have them finish one week before regular season for high school ended due to being out of weeks).

If we expected the athlete to be a fringe varsity contributor we would have the athlete sit out a couple of weeks of the JH season, play out the JH season and then move up.

If we expected the JH athlete to be a solid varsity contributor we would have them start the season with the high school team (no JH season)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:49 am

The Schwab wrote:

We would make sure our JH season would line up with our high school regular season schedule so we could bring the athletes up to play C squad (sometimes we'd have to have them finish one week before regular season for high school ended due to being out of weeks).

If we expected the athlete to be a fringe varsity contributor we would have the athlete sit out a couple of weeks of the JH season, play out the JH season and then move up.

If we expected the JH athlete to be a solid varsity contributor we would have them start the season with the high school team (no JH season)

I believe most regions play their JH seasons at the same time as JV/V, so this allows the JH players to dress and play for upper level games. Sounds like some region play JH season at a slightly different time on the calendar and that leads to some of the issues of moving kids up?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:26 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

I believe most regions play their JH seasons at the same time as JV/V, so this allows the JH players to dress and play for upper level games. Sounds like some region play JH season at a slightly different time on the calendar and that leads to some of the issues of moving kids up?

SE ND JH seasons for GBB starts before HS basketball...many move up their JH to help fill out C squads as the seasons go.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:15 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

SE ND JH seasons for GBB starts before HS basketball...many move up their JH to help fill out C squads as the seasons go.

This is probably the most common use of JH GBB players, but for the schools that have 8 or 9 players, they are an injury or a disgruntled player away from having roster issues for the postseason.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls