Great Class B Towns

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Great Class B Towns

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:28 am

washed_up wrote:The only reason there are five private schools in the regional finals is because they work harder than the lazy kids from the smaller stand-alone towns. They definitely don't have an advantage and it is purely a coincidence that this happens year after year in both boys and girls. Fargo Oak Grove is playing in the regional championship game for the fourth straight year. If they had an advantage wouldn't they be playing in their sixth or seventh? It is also purely coincidental that it happens in every region that has a private school in a large city. Definitely no advantages.

Ur a idiot. Plus isn't this OGs 7th straight regional final ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 am

washed_up wrote:It is also purely coincidental that it happens in every region that has a private school in a large city. Definitely no advantages.

Hey, could someone please get that gif of J Law and add it below this quote? That would be great.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballJunkie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:37 am

washed_up wrote:The only reason there are five private schools in the regional finals is because they work harder than the lazy kids from the smaller stand-alone towns. They definitely don't have an advantage and it is purely a coincidence that this happens year after year in both boys and girls. Fargo Oak Grove is playing in the regional championship game for the fourth straight year. If they had an advantage wouldn't they be playing in their sixth or seventh? It is also purely coincidental that it happens in every region that has a private school in a large city. Definitely no advantages.

There is an advantage, but its not recruiting. The Privates are located in bigger communities, with Class A schools. The advantage of that is that when you go play at the Y or play in a traveling tournament while growing up you usually get to play against better competition and develop more, and with a small town when you go shoot around at the local HS gym you are only playing against your friends and the local kids. By no means am I saying that you cant develop if your from a small town, but if you are in one of the bigger towns there is definitely an advantage just from competition alone.
BasketballJunkie
NDPreps Rookie

Postby triplebbb » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:42 am

I humbly and embarrassingly apologize to KWoods for a comment in a previous post. 6-7 Region 8 AD's did meet in WC to discuss a 3 class system. I was gone to State Girls and was not aware. I will check my facts better next time before accusing.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 am

um...Oak Grove is in it for the 7th year in a row...however this year is kinda odd cause they entered the region tournament 8-12 and the 10 seed. They are just playing really good ball right now.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:16 am

What came of the meeting?
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:22 am

triplebbb wrote:I humbly and embarrassingly apologize to KWoods for a comment in a previous post. 6-7 Region 8 AD's did meet in WC to discuss a 3 class system. I was gone to State Girls and was not aware. I will check my facts better next time before accusing.

Thank you
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:25 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

um...Oak Grove's in it for the 7th year in a row...however this year is kinda odd cause they entered the region tournament 8-12 and the 10 seed. They are just playing really good ball right now.

can you say "tournament experience" a very common phenomenon

it could very well be that the other teams in Region 1 freeze a bit when they see OG in their bracket
psychological, plus OG stepping up game saying this is our tourn, in our "home town"....
Last edited by winner-within on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:28 am

heimer wrote:What came of the meeting?

Proposal was Top 16 teams would be Class A enrollment 350 and above

Class B would be 150-349 including all the Church schools for a total of 24 teams (includes some of the Class A schools like Devils Lake, Wahpeton Valley City, all church schools regardless if A before

Class C would be 150 and below ( I believe 4 regions top 2 go) not positive on that part.

Class B and C would have their state tournament at the same site each year a site that has two gyms with winners all playing semifinals on bigger court and both state championship games.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:29 am

Can you say "private schools in Fargo have an advantage"?

Northdakotapreps.com=defenders of the status quo

Oak Grove freaking out as a 10 seed and landing in a title game is a phenomenon. Oak Grove in 7 straight title games is not a phenomenon. It's evidence of the problem.

But we're all supposed to look the other way, look at the right hand holding up the 8-12 record, so the left hand can hide 7 straight title appearances.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:30 am

Kwoods wrote:
heimer wrote:What came of the meeting?

Proposal was Top 16 teams would be Class A enrollment 350 and above

Class B would be 150-349 including all the Church schools for a total of 24 teams (includes some of the Class A schools like Devils Lake, Wahpeton Valley City, all church schools regardless if A before

Class C would be 150 and below ( I believe 4 regions top 2 go) not positive on that part.

Class B and C would have their state tournament at the same site each year a site that has two gyms with winners all playing semifinals on bigger court and both state championship games.

So, pretty much everything I've been selling for years?
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:32 am

I don't know what you have been selling but it looks similar I guess so.

Would be fun if both at same site still just hard to see it change. I would prefer just send all the church schools including (Trinity Christian which people forget) to Class A. If you live in a Class A town you compete Class A
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 am

heimer wrote:Can you say "private schools in Fargo have an advantage"?

Northdakotapreps.com=defenders of the status quo

Oak Grove freaking out as a 10 seed and landing in a title game is a phenomenon. Oak Grove in 7 straight title games is not a phenomenon. It's evidence of the problem.

But we're all supposed to look the other way, look at the right hand holding up the 8-12 record, so the left hand can hide 7 straight title appearances.

you need to learn how to sense sarcasm and not just write it....I said "hometown"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:41 am

No matter how you wrote it, it looks like it defends this year. Maybe you should learn to write sarcasm more clearly. I can't really tell if you buy what you're selling, or if you're making light of the excuse.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:15 pm

heimer wrote:No matter how you wrote it, it looks like it defends this year. Maybe you should learn to write sarcasm more clearly. I can't really tell if you buy what you're selling, or if you're making light of the excuse.

well look what its tied to highlighted in blue, written by Run....maybe phenomenon isn't the word
but 7 in a row is neither a coincidence nor an accident...
Last edited by winner-within on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Washed-up......you wrote something about lazy kids in small town just not working as hard as the private school kids. That's the stupidest I've ever herd. These small town kids are literally out classed by these private schools hence the reason they should play in their own private school class. I've seen these girls bust there tails to be good but they still got beat out by the same private school year after year no matter how hard they work they come up short and every other small town team in the region will come up short most of the time simply because private school can put 5 very good athletes on the court and a reliable bench while small towns might only have 2 very good athletes and 3 ok players and a weak bench on a good year. It's all about where u live if u live in a class A town you should never be able to play as a class b school. I believe ALL private schools in big towns should be in there own class it's time to stop the highjacking of class B.

Has anyone noticed Shiloh

GBB-to state 5 times since 08
BBB-to state 10 out of the last 20 years and likely again this year
FB- playoffs seaming every year I don't know stats off hand and in the state championship game this year

What if all three teams play in a championship this year will that finally get people to admit that there is something really not fair about this
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:23 pm

I could be wrong, but I thought Washed up's post was done in a sarcastic tone (tough to identify on a message board).
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:28 pm

It's sometimes hard to tell on here some people sound sincere
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
madseason wrote:
BasketballJunkie wrote:
Hoot12 wrote: Sure we can discuss school numbers and say that the private schools are small but they have excellent recruiters who find job for parents with athletic kids.

Well this is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have read all day.
Warroad has done this for many years in hockey. Don't think it doesn't happen.

so what you just proved with your point is that its possible to happen in both public & private schools. Yes, it happens...I won't be near-sighted about it...but don't group all in to your generalization.

I'd not be surprised if private schools do some recruiting for athletes. I know for a fact that some parents and community members of public schools recruit. It doesn't work very often, but they do try. I'm not saying one or two. I have direct knowledge of multiple attempts at different families.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Let's be frank. Privates recruit all the time, and not just athletes. They are a private business. The idea that the only kids that attend a private school just show up and pay tuition of their own free will is ridiculous.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with that. They want top notch students and athletes to fuel the quality of education a private school can sell. There's nothing wrong with that either.

The problem is when we treat them the same as open districts that don't recruit and take all comers. Our current classification system does that.

I'm not out to see recruiting end. Charters and privates are the thing of the future in education, as far as I'm concerned, especially when districts decided to let school out at 1:30 every other Wednesday so teachers can talk about their feelings (but I digress).

I just want recruiting to be treated fairly in the system.

And again, it's not just athletics. I was a competitive speaker in high school 153 years ago. Guess who had about the best Class A team (outside of us, as we won three straight titles): Fargo Shanley. The hallway to their new athletic facility has a display to their top forensic performers in history. They are recruiting the exceptional student. Let them, but treat them accordingly.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 pm

d_fense wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
madseason wrote:
BasketballJunkie wrote:
Hoot12 wrote: Sure we can discuss school numbers and say that the private schools are small but they have excellent recruiters who find job for parents with athletic kids.

Well this is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have read all day.
Warroad has done this for many years in hockey. Don't think it doesn't happen.

so what you just proved with your point is that its possible to happen in both public & private schools. Yes, it happens...I won't be near-sighted about it...but don't group all in to your generalization.

I'd not be surprised if private schools do some recruiting for athletes. I know for a fact that some parents and community members of public schools recruit. It doesn't work very often, but they do try. I'm not saying one or two. I have direct knowledge of multiple attempts at different families.

If you have any evidence of this do every school and student in the state a favor and report it and demand action be taken against theses schools. It would be the right thing to do
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:37 pm

The Schwab wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought Washed up's post was done in a sarcastic tone (tough to identify on a message board).

Yes, I thought that was VERY evident, but looking at some of the posts, apparently not.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:47 pm

d_fense wrote:I'd not be surprised if private schools do some recruiting for athletes. I know for a fact that some parents and community members of public schools recruit. It doesn't work very often, but they do try. I'm not saying one or two. I have direct knowledge of multiple attempts at different families.

is this actually against the rules?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:58 pm

heimer wrote:Let's be frank. Privates recruit all the time, and not just athletes. They are a private business. The idea that the only kids that attend a private school just show up and pay tuition of their own free will is ridiculous.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with that. They want top notch students and athletes to fuel the quality of education a private school can sell. There's nothing wrong with that either.

The problem is when we treat them the same as open districts that don't recruit and take all comers. Our current classification system does that.

I'm not out to see recruiting end. Charters and privates are the thing of the future in education, as far as I'm concerned, especially when districts decided to let school out at 1:30 every other Wednesday so teachers can talk about their feelings (but I digress).

I just want recruiting to be treated fairly in the system.

And again, it's not just athletics. I was a competitive speaker in high school 153 years ago. Guess who had about the best Class A team (outside of us, as we won three straight titles): Fargo Shanley. The hallway to their new athletic facility has a display to their top forensic performers in history. They are recruiting the exceptional student. Let them, but treat them accordingly.

totally agree....although dont kid yourself Public schools are a bigger business with the voice of big businesses... :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Don't kid yourself Winner very few crooked public schools might do this. 99% arnt wasting their efforts doing this "big business" the truth is none of these small town schools have the money, resources or influence to do any sort of recruiting so give me a break. It doesn't apply to small schools
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls