Region 2 (2016)

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 2 (2016)

Postby Rivershark » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:10 am

I foresee a Championship match up between PRFL and Thompson. I'm going to lean towards PRFL winning in a close fought battle. Each game I've seen PRFL play against Thompson, they've gotten a little better. Thompson has won some really close games this year and I feel this is the game that Thompson comes up short on.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Region 2 (2016)

Postby BigCat » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:01 pm

I took Grafton in your region at the beginning of the year. They remind me of Kindred. Young, quick, athletic, hard nosed, and undersized. Thompson beat Kindred 52-51 with Kindred having the last shot. I think Grafton has the ability to play both the Tommies and PR to the wire. I'll take the Spoilers as the spoilers!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby airmail » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:46 pm

All four top seeds advance, although I don't think any of them are pleased with today's play. Some ugly basketball all around.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:32 pm

The championship game was a perfect example of how a strong defense can win a game. Thompson decided that they needed to go to a man to man defense to stop PRFL's outside game. What that did was open up the inside game for PRFL. For the second game in a row, PRFL was able to limit Overby. Overby's a hard worker but seemed to get frustrated very easily. Can't have that if you want to be a leader. I was also disappointed in Overby's poor sportsmanship when the All Region Awards were handed out and she ignored the PRFL player when they were shaking hands. Congratulations to Shaice Marx for the outstanding Senior of the Year.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hoot12 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Rivershark wrote:The championship game was a perfect example of how a strong defense can win a game. Thompson decided that they needed to go to a man to man defense to stop PRFL's outside game. What that did was open up the inside game for PRFL. For the second game in a row, PRFL was able to limit Overby. Overby's a hard worker but seemed to get frustrated very easily. Can't have that if you want to be a leader. I was also disappointed in Overby's poor sportsmanship when the All Region Awards were handed out and she ignored the PRFL player when they were shaking hands. Congratulations to Shaice Marx for the outstanding Senior of the Year.

Rivershark wrote:The championship game was a perfect example of how a strong defense can win a game. Thompson decided that they needed to go to a man to man defense to stop PRFL's outside game. What that did was open up the inside game for PRFL. For the second game in a row, PRFL was able to limit Overby. Overby's a hard worker but seemed to get frustrated very easily. Can't have that if you want to be a leader. I was also disappointed in Overby's poor sportsmanship when the All Region Awards were handed out and she ignored the PRFL player when they were shaking hands. Congratulations to Shaice Marx for the outstanding Senior of the Year.

Agree with all of the above: As I mentioned in on of the other forms Thompson did play a 2/1/2 zone in the second half during the regular season game in PR and he really threw PRFL off so I am not sure why the didn't make them prove them selves from the out side before opening up the inside.

Also, as PRFL coach said early on in the regional tournament; If there is a better defensive guard in the region or in the state then Taylor Knutson he want to see her play. Taylor contained Overby to 7 pts. in the 1st game and 8 pts in the regional game.
She held the Hanson girl from Grafton to like 4 pts. and the leading scorer from May-Port to zero.

As the old saying goes "offense wins game defense wins championships".
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:23 am

Hoot12 wrote:

Agree with all of the above: As I mentioned in on of the other forms Thompson did play a 2/1/2 zone in the second half during the regular season game in PR and he really threw PRFL off so I am not sure why the didn't make them prove them selves from the out side before opening up the inside.

Also, as PRFL coach said early on in the regional tournament; If there is a better defensive guard in the region or in the state then Taylor Knutson he want to see her play. Taylor contained Overby to 7 pts. in the 1st game and 8 pts in the regional game.
She held the Hanson girl from Grafton to like 4 pts. and the leading scorer from May-Port to zero.

I agree....also she can shoot and you dont see to many girls in Class B ND that can push the ball up the floor like her....to me this was key in the victory....Coach gives her the reins to be the floor general and she handles it well.. :).....the steals they got under their basket on the press was key to pulling away in the 4th too...PRFL was and is (imo) the better team in a 7 game series....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby madseason » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Your food is right on the money IMO. No I in team! :D
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Your food is right on the money IMO. No I in team! :D[/quote]

About time Radball - I was worried you were dead..... :wink:
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hoot12 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:26 pm

winner-within wrote:
Hoot12 wrote:

Also, as PRFL coach said early on in the regional tournament; If there is a better defensive guard in the region or in the state then Taylor Knudson he want to see her play. Taylor contained Overby to 7 pts. in the 1st game and 8 pts in the regional game.

I agree....also she can shoot and you dont see to many girls in Class B ND that can push the ball up the floor like her....to me this was key in the victory....Coach gives her the reins to be the floor general and she handles it well.. :).....the steals they got under their basket on the press was key to pulling away in the 4th too...PRFL was and is (imo) the better team in a 7 game series....
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rivershark » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:26 pm

So I'm curious to hear how others think Thompson would have done if they had made it to the State Tournament?
Last edited by Rivershark on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Rivershark wrote:So I'm curious to hear how others think Thompson would have done if they had made to the Tournament?

if they got the same draw as PR 3rd or 4th. The post players for Watford City would have given them problems.
They would have been the one seed though.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby airmail » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Flip wrote:
Rivershark wrote:So I'm curious to hear how others think Thompson would have done if they had made to the Tournament?

if they got the same draw as PR 3rd or 4th. The post players for Watford City would have given them problems.

Watching a lot of Thompson GBB this year, I would say I couldn't say. Depending on the team that showed up, anywhere between 3rd and 8th. Probably not 1st or 2nd, but seriously anywhere else could have been possible.

A more pertinent topic is where PRFL will finish in the tournament next year. Basically the same team returning. Can they win it all?
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:44 pm

airmail wrote:
Flip wrote:

Watching a lot of Thompson GBB this year, I would say I couldn't say. Depending on the team that showed up, anywhere between 3rd and 8th. Probably not 1st or 2nd, but seriously anywhere else could have been possible.

A more pertinent topic is where PRFL will finish in the tournament next year. Basically the same team returning. Can they win it all?

I don't think it will be that easy. They do a lot of things good, but there's still a lot of opportunity for improve. If they can make that step in the off season, it will certainly make a difference. On the same hand, the coaching needs get better too. We all know how often North Star's big player was on the bench, very little. PRFL needs to make better decisions when players are getting pulled.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Coaching needs to improve??????

Give me a break. Coach Scheer has taken that program to a level where they are going to compete for championships for years to come. His girls are very well coached. They know what Coach Scheer wants them to do in their offensive and defensive schemes. His game plans for each opponent are excellent, and he adjusts on the fly during games very well.

Coaching needs to improve my mule's butt. I realize this is a snarky question, but who is your relative on the team that Coach Scheer pulled out too early for your liking?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:28 pm

Park River is good team but its long way from being back at the state tournament again. I not as familiar with region 2 as in the past but it only takes one bad night or injury or two whole season can change. I am not wishing them bad luck but I know how hard it is to get back to state. I was looking that Grafton and Thompson graduated a lot this year and not familiar with rest of the region but usually its not given to get back to state.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:47 pm

The loss to WC in the semis by PR may have some thinking they were not supposed to be there??
well they beat the #1 team in State to get there...then in the first round they handled Carrington quite easily
the game with WC I think was intimidating but they showed poise in the second half and came back within 9...then of course we all know what happened against NS....that game could have went either way.

Personally I would have went right at #12 for NS and tried to foul her out....

Next season? with the experience they got this year they will walk backwards into the State tourn IMO barring martians from outter space don't come in and snatch a couple players away....the key will be just getting them some tough games during the season, because an undefeated season next season is irrelevant after a season like this year....IMO they're #1 seed in the State right now for 16-17.....putting zero pressure on them..
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hoot12 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:47 am

I agree with most of your comment and think that FLPR will have a good chance to return to the State Tournament but I don't see them getting a #1 seed at the beginning of the year.

North Star only loses one starter so they will get my #1 seed at the beginning of the year and don't forget about the Watford, Shiloh Christians of the state.
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:53 am

Yes, I believe the first poll could go a few different ways....with that said there will be a solid top 5
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:33 pm

scc wrote:It's all what-ifs at this point, but if Thompson came out of Region 2, you're probably looking at Thompson, North Star, Watford City, and Rugby has your seeded teams, in order. Assuming the random draws go the same way, I think Thompson falls in the title game.

I said all along that even though Thompson was rated #1 all year long that if they got to State there would be some serious comp.....I got to see Region 2 play a lot this year and I thought that if PRFL got another shot at Thompson that they could beat them....so with that said I knew PRFL would have their hands full after watching first day of State Tourn......I think, with all due respect, that had Thomp been right where PRFL landed that the 2 that played in the title game stays the same....but watching WC play Thompson with Overby vs Sparby would have been a dandy....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rivershark » Mon May 23, 2016 12:14 am

winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:It's all what-ifs at this point, but if Thompson came out of Region 2, you're probably looking at Thompson, North Star, Watford City, and Rugby has your seeded teams, in order. Assuming the random draws go the same way, I think Thompson falls in the title game.

I said all along that even though Thompson was rated #1 all year long that if they got to State there would be some serious comp.....I got to see Region 2 play a lot this year and I thought that if PRFL got another shot at Thompson that they could beat them....so with that said I knew PRFL would have their hands full after watching first day of State Tourn......I think, with all due respect, that had Thomp been right where PRFL landed that the 2 that played in the title game stays the same....but watching WC play Thompson with Overby vs Sparby would have been a dandy....

Overby was able to really stand out against average teams but really struggled against good defensive teams. It didn't take many games to figure that she liked to drive to the right and spin back to the left. In the Regions championship game she tired out quickly, complained about her charging fouls and like to push when defending from behind.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls