Region 4 2016

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 4 2016

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Not much talk in girls basketball this year and nobody has said much about the upcoming region play. It looks to me there's some very competitive region tournaments coming at least in Eastern North Dakota. I look at region 4 there is several ways I could see this region go. One is North Star just dominates and moves on to the state tournament and this could very well happen. The results District 7 tournament sure changed the match ups and especially for North Star. They get Four Winds in the first round team that can match up with North star and can play physical and are deep enough to do this. If North Star does win they could see Benson county very good team that is young and getting better and they do have the depth to play a physical game with North Star in side. Also they can run and shoot the ball from
out side. The other side of region bracket is Langdon team that seems to be playing better as season goes
along but they do have tough match up with Harvey-Wells county so see how that's comes out. Then we have Lakota-Edmore that is playing good basketball at end of the season with some young players that are playing very well but Rolette is still a team that could win a game like this. If Langdon and Lakota-Edmore should meet in semifinals these two teams that just played and Langdon was winner but it was very close game so it could be interesting game. If i had to bet I would think Langdon should win because of their depth but i wouldn't put it past Lakota-Edmore to win either. But if Langdon wins they could be seeing North Star in championship game and will be third time and North Star team that will have been challenged in previous 2 games and i could see upset. But as i have been explaining there could be upsets at any game in this tournament and we could have surprise champion. It should be fun tournament to watch and should be good for fans and towns that at the tournament . I like to hear what other people think about region 4 tournament or other region tournaments in my mind we could see state tournament with a lot of unranked teams at the state or it could be all the favorites.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Region 4 2016

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:56 pm

North Star should end up with a rematch against Langdon for the final. Like you said, most of the tournament could be a tossup. In my mind, Dist 8 is stronger than Dist 7 and it wouldn't surprise me if they won 3 or even all 4 of the first round games. But with how the Dist 7 tournament went and how some of the teams are playing right now, I could also see Dist 7 winning 3 of the first games including possibly a FWM upset of North Star. Breaking down the first round matchups, I think LE and RW is a tossup. LE played a heck of a district tourney, but may have a let down. RW has been up and down all year. Whitmayer vs Ronningen will be a great matchup. I've got Langdon over HWC, even though the teams haven't played this year. North Star should beat FWM, but the Indians have already pulled the upset once this season. Haven't seen Dunseith play, but I think BC got a favorable draw for their first round game. With Dunseith struggling against St. John and BC topping SJ by 30+ a week ago I will take BC.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:51 pm

I expected district 7 to be down this year but you also have to look at District 7 a lot of the teams are very young especially with their star players and I thought by end of the season some of these teams would be a lot better than their records would show. Benson county can be dangerous team in my mind with Schwanke and couple of the other girls who can hit from outside. It would open it up to where they could create drives and maybe get Kilvang in foul trouble or at least make her have to move more on defensive side to take away from her on the offensive side. North Star in past years in my mind wore down in the region games when intensity of game is much more and when you get into regionals it also gets much more physical than a lot of the regular season. Officiating is of style of letting them play and especially on the inside for big people. North Star is very good team but if Kilvang has to sit any they become very average to below average team in size for girls basketball. Rolette has impressive wins but they have some big losses its hard to figure them out. Lakota-Edmore beat them early in the season but both teams have improved since then in my mind its none factor at this point. Should be good game. I saw district 7 games I thought teams played quite well and should represent the district well in region tournament. District 8 is only ahead of District 7 because of North Star and the difference there is Kilvang. If you put other 7 teams together I think you would come out with different champions depending on how each team played. Some teams match up better against others but overall I believe anyone of these teams could beat each other on given night. Overall this region is not as strong as it was last year graduations of some of better players and couple of years before all these good young players mature again before overall strength improves for the region but sure makes for competitive region.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:44 am

Tournament has played out pretty much how I figured. In the first round, first and last games were a toss up. Langdon and North Star have dominated. Should be a good championship game. Can Langdon pull off the upset?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:33 pm

It has for me if you made me bet too! I thought Benson county would have given North Star a better game but I still think there time is coming. Langdon will play North Star competitively but I don't think they can beat North Star. I think the game would have been evener closer if Langdon had Kartes girl who's out with injury it would have given Langdon another big girl to box Kilvang. Only way Langdon beats North Star is have complete game and shoot above 50 percent and have 3 point percentage of 35-40 percent then there could be upset but I doubt very much they can do this with North Star defense.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls