Top Teams in the State

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Top Teams in the State

Postby Rivershark » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Just wondering if Rugby and PRFL are legitimate top 3 teams? Even though they are both undefeated, just wondering if either of them have been challenged?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Top Teams in the State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:58 pm

I guess we'll know how good Park River-FL is when they play North Star on February 1st and Thompson on February 4th.

PR-FL has played a decent Grafton team...Rugby's only quality opponents are ORCS & Bishop Ryan (both were 10+ pt wins)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby CC1983 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:10 pm

Was Rugby missing someone Tuesday? Only beat Rolette by 3. Then NorthStar goes to Rolette and beats them by 56!
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby airmail » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:28 am

Rivershark wrote:Just wondering if Rugby and PRFL are legitimate top 3 teams? Even though they are both undefeated, just wondering if either of them have been challenged?

Run4Fun is right - a lot of questions will be answered by the games scheduled in a week or two. I think it will be some great basketball.

I haven't seen Rugby play, but it seems you've followed the PRFL team a bit. What can you tell us?
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 am

airmail wrote:
Rivershark wrote:Just wondering if Rugby and PRFL are legitimate top 3 teams? Even though they are both undefeated, just wondering if either of them have been challenged?

Run4Fun is right - a lot of questions will be answered by the games scheduled in a week or two. I think it will be some great basketball.

I haven't seen Rugby play, but it seems you've followed the PRFL team a bit. What can you tell us?

PRFL is a good all around team. Probably not as strong as Thompson. They don't have one superstar player, but 6 players that can all score. Very strong defensively. They've been able to score a lot of their points from the inside because of their size, but can also score from the perimeter if needed. They've only been challenged by Grafton and they've seemed to handle that pretty well. Their schedule has been pretty weak. Hopefully their Athletic Director can schedule some more competitive teams for next season as their top 6 players will all be back next season. North Star and Thompson games will all be within a one week period, so time will tell. I believe they can handle North Star. Thompson will be a challenge, but from their experiences in the Region Championship game last year, they all know they can play with them.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:22 pm

That star player is so important in big-time matchups, and Thompson has 2 of them, Marx and Overby. When you have a very good, balanced squad like PRFL, at crunch time there can be indecisiveness about who should take control and get the baskets the team needs. Thompson has no such issue. Send Overby down low, give her the ball, and get out of the way.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rivershark » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Hinsa wrote:That star player is so important in big-time matchups, and Thompson has 2 of them, Marx and Overby. When you have a very good, balanced squad like PRFL, at crunch time there can be indecisiveness about who should take control and get the baskets the team needs. Thompson has no such issue. Send Overby down low, give her the ball, and get out of the way.

Yes, she definitely does a good job. She seems to have her way with the lesser teams. Defensively PRFL will challenge Thompson. The key will be to keep the ball out of Overby's hands. It will also be interesting to see how Overby handles the pressure. As we saw in the Regional volleyball, when she's on she's on and when she's off she's off. Should be a good game.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby airmail » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Good comments - I didn't realize that they were such a balanced team (no single star player), and I sure didn't realize they were all coming back next year. That will be a really strong team in the region next year - especially with the remaining top teams losing some significant players to graduation - and some of the other programs likely remaining in kind of tough shape.
Interesting comment about the importance of a star player in a big game. I guess I agree, I've seen it so many times when a player puts the team on his/ her back and says here we go, follow me! :D
Whether or not that'll be the difference in the region this year will be seen soon. Like I mentioned - some great games ahead - can't wait.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Another problem a Thompson team (2 key players) can run into that I would say PRFL might not be affected by as much is foul trouble.....what three refs ref this game will be huge, because it will be physical/intense and I think PRFL has them beat in this category....so if Thompson buys into it they could get in foul trouble with their bigs...

should be a great game.... and NS will be a good measuring stick per say
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rivershark » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:51 am

So what's the story with Rugby beating Nedrose 93 - 9? Seems to me like their JV team should have playing this game.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:24 pm

The JV playing that game would have been a logical thing to do, but perhaps they couldn't get another varsity game lined up. That's not always easy to do because some teams are schedule locked by gentlemen's agreements to play home and home from one year to the next.

I don't know if that is the case hear, but it is just one possibility. Sometimes you just can't avoid it.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby armedndangerous » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:41 am

I know for a fact some districts require you to play games as a varsity game if it is a district game. I would bet that this is the case. I would bet Rugby played their JV a bunch in this game and their starters very little, but Nedrose (being a new school) is not ready to play even at a decent JV level yet. I would guess you are going to see a score similar to this again because these 2 teams are going to meet up in round 1 of the district tournament. (most likely)
armedndangerous
NDPreps Starter

Postby CC1983 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:55 pm

Northstar beats Park River 45-36
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:36 am

Any predictions on the games with between Thompson/PRFL and North Star/Rugby?

I think North Star should have no problem with Rugby. I think Rugby is way over rated. This will be their first real big challenge of the season. North Star 62 Rugby 49

As for Thompson and PRFL, it will all depends on PRFL team shows up. Their last two games they started 19 points down against Stephan/Argyle and 17 points down against North Star. Both games they were able to come back, but I don't think that'll work against Thompson. I want to think that this will be a closer game with PRFL having the home court and with their last 2 games being a challenge. PRFL can be tough on defense, but needs to get better at taking the open shot. I see PRFL winning 53 to 50.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:52 am

Rivershark wrote:Any predictions on the games with between Thompson/PRFL and North Star/Rugby?

I think North Star should have no problem with Rugby. I think Rugby is way over rated. This will be their first real big challenge of the season. North Star 62 Rugby 49

As for Thompson and PRFL, it will all depends on PRFL team shows up. Their last two games they started 19 points down against Stephan/Argyle and 17 points down against North Star. Both games they were able to come back, but I don't think that'll work against Thompson. I want to think that this will be a closer game with PRFL having the home court and with their last 2 games being a challenge. PRFL can be tough on defense, but needs to get better at taking the open shot. I see PRFL winning 53 to 50.

Thompson wins it 59-42
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby justplayalready » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Rivershark wrote:Any predictions on the games with between Thompson/PRFL and North Star/Rugby?

The last few years the North Star matchup has been good for Rugby, with Rugby beating what was probably a better team...
I think Rugby is a problem for North Star, all ratings aside, at home. I like Rugby by 7-10.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:41 pm

I agree NS should win....the MN loss is no biggie and the NS one surprised me but another non-counter..... yet, like I said a measuring stick.....but no way can ya dig a hole vs Thomp.....I say they bounce back from the 2 losses and win

PRFL 42 Thomp 39
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby triplebbb » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Any prediction for #5 Watford City at #7 Shiloh Christian on Saturday?
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby CC1983 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:41 pm

Northstar beats Rugby 53-40.
Northstar beats 2 ranked teams in one week.
Do they deserve any first place votes?
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm

CC1983 wrote:Northstar beats Rugby 53-40.

Given the two teams were ranked above them, and they didn't have a problem with either, I'd say they deserve most of them.
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:43 am

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:

Given the two teams were ranked above them, and they didn't have a problem with either, I'd say they deserve most of them.

I wouldn't go that far to say that they didn't have no problem with PRFL. That game was within 4 points with less than 2 minutes left in the game. If they didn't have the one loose to Four Winds, I would say they were worthy of a first place vote. They will probably move up to the #2 spot, Rugby will drop down to #3 and PRFL should be #4.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:44 am

Rivershark wrote:
HighPlainsDrifter wrote:

I wouldn't go that far to say that they didn't have no problem with PRFL. That game was within 4 points with less than 2 minutes left in the game. If they didn't have the one loose to Four Winds, I would say they were worthy of a first place vote. They will probably move up to the #2 spot, Rugby will drop down to #3 and PRFL should be #4.

If Watford City defeats Shiloh on Saturday...I see PRFL dropping to 5...with Watford moving to 3 or 4 (Rugby in whatever spot Watford isn't in).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:53 am

Rivershark wrote:
HighPlainsDrifter wrote:

Good point. But it is encouraging (to me) they were able to close it out against a good team. I think they should get some first place votes - but I realize they probably won't be ranked 1st in the next poll.
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:46 pm

triplebbb wrote:Any prediction for #5 Watford City at #7 Shiloh Christian on Saturday?

I will take a stab at the score.............I say Watford City 64 Shiloh 47...........my preseason to win it all was Watford City and I will still predict that.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls