66-6

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 66-6

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:12 pm

Just as an FYI to this. I am from Mandan, North Dakota. I was in high school during the time that the Kielpinski sisters both played for Mandan and Amundson could essentially pick the score for a number of games. I do not think it is fair for players who put a lot of time in to the game, like Mandan at that point in time, to be relegated to the bench for extended periods because they are playing against a team that has little ability to score on them or stop them. I think it will be a sad day when players who put a lot of time and effort in to basketball are penalized for being hard working and talented. I think players are penalized if they are only getting to play 16-20 minutes a night because they are talented. I do not agree with the mentality that the jv kids should get all of those minutes in blowouts either. The jv kids get to play their own games.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:43 pm

winner-within wrote:couple more last night

HCV 0 2 2 10 — 14

Thompson 19 10 15 9 — 53

Park River/F-L 9 13 22 14 –– 58

Cavalier 8 0 4 2 –– 14

Park River pressed hard till start of 4th
starters stayed in the whole game....and still wanted to press
but coach had to say "get back, get back"

I like what Schwab said "should play a JV schedule", Cav has no JV this season (although Cav and NB already have the PCN Grizzleys but can only co-op certain sports for some God forsaken reason....

Park River had 44 points entering the fourth quarter, and the coach pulled his team back, as you already mentioned.

That's more control of a game than 85-15 or 66-6.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:02 pm

heimer wrote:

HCV 0 2 2 10 — 14

Thompson 19 10 15 9 — 53

Cavalier 8 0 4 2 –– 14

I like what Schwab said "should play a JV schedule", Cav has no JV this season (although Cav and NB already have the PCN Grizzleys but can only co-op certain sports for some God forsaken reason....

Park River had 44 points entering the fourth quarter, and the coach pulled his team back, as you already mentioned.

That's more control of a game than 85-15 or 66-6.

"more" being the key word
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:04 pm

Just going to be "that" guy. In Park River's 4th quarter, they scored more points than in their first or second quarter. Park River also scored more in their second half than in their first half. Based on previous posts, I am surprised that Heimer is ok with this.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:05 pm

balla45 wrote:Just going to be "that" guy. In Park River's 4th quarter, they scored more points than in their first or second quarter. Park River also scored more in their second half than in their first half. Based on previous posts, I am surprised that Heimer is ok with this.

yea, its like a Trump debate
with that said....the point is taken I'm sure
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rivershark » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:25 pm

HCV 0 2 2 10 — 14

Thompson 19 10 15 9 — 53

Cavalier 8 0 4 2 –– 14

Are we going to start slamming Park River now because they beat a team by 44 points? To be honest, PR should have won by 60 points. If you look at the 1st quarter scoring, you can see that they didn't start out very strong. And why did the starters stay in most of the game? Well because there only 4 players on the bench and one of them was a starter that was hurt. As a coach I don't think you tell your players to go out and work half as hard because we're playing a not so good team. How are they suppose to prepare for when they play a really good team if they don't work hard every game. Give me a break people!
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Agree 1000% Rivershark!

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby washed_up » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Let's use someone like Riley Nudell who is trying to break the all-time scoring record. Should she be forced to sit on the bench and not play or score more points because her team might happen to be ahead by a certain amount? Should she not play great defense and back off on her intensity if she does get to play? Should being a great player who happens to lead her team to some lopsided wins jeopardize her opportunity to break the record? I don't believe any of the above would be fair to her.
washed_up
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:52 pm

I agree with you.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Rivershark wrote:

HCV 0 2 2 10 — 14

Thompson 19 10 15 9 — 53

Cavalier 8 0 4 2 –– 14

Are we going to start slamming Park River now because they beat a team by 44 points? To be honest, PR should have won by 60 points. If you look at the 1st quarter scoring, you can see that they didn't start out very strong. And why did the starters stay in most of the game? Well because there only 4 players on the bench and one of them was a starter that was hurt. As a coach I don't think you tell your players to go out and work half as hard because we're playing a not so good team. How are they suppose to prepare for when they play a really good team if they don't work hard every game. Give me a break people!

I think Cav's D deserves some credit....many stops and forced the shot clock a few times with their Zone
also some Blocked shots.....the game doesn't bother me, I coach relatively the same...and in my post you'll see my frustration is more with the fact that the athletes are there to have a full roster of JV and Varsity along with a few C squad games if you utilize the PNC (pembina county north) co-op option.....look what its done for lets say Grafton getting St. Thomas through out the years and PR getting Fordville Lankin and getting back to PNC look what it has done for their Wrestling team......you have to build a program and PRFL is doing it in every sport! are people listening? every sport!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Both Cavalier and North Border have the enrollments to maintain their own programs. Why Cavalier is struggling that much for participation, I don't know. There are so many other schools out there that are getting more participation with far less enrollment. Co-ops are not always the answer, but at the same time you can't lose your program completely due to no participation.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:36 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Both Cavalier and North Border have the enrollments to maintain their own programs. Why Cavalier is struggling that much for participation, I don't know. There are so many other schools out there that are getting more participation with far less enrollment. Co-ops are not always the answer, but at the same time you can't lose your program completely due to no participation.

why not?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:39 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Both Cavalier and North Border have the enrollments to maintain their own programs. Why Cavalier is struggling that much for participation, I don't know. There are so many other schools out there that are getting more participation with far less enrollment. Co-ops are not always the answer, but at the same time you can't lose your program completely due to no participation.

and thats why they they are co-oped in Baseball, CC Track, Track, and Wrestling?
not everybody wants to play... some want to focus on Grades, Working, or Cheer-leading
what ever it may be......Cav did move from Class AA to 9-man and NB is back at 9-man

do you know something about participation I could be missing?...honest question
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:10 pm

winner-within wrote:

and thats why they they are co-oped in Baseball, CC Track, Track, and Wrestling?
not everybody wants to play... some want to focus on Grades, Working, or Cheer-leading
what ever it may be......Cav did move from Class AA to 9-man and NB is back at 9-man

All take many more kids to form a team. Yes, they are both in 9man with their enrollments, but like I said there are many schools with enrollments half of each that still support teams and have more participation. I only believe coops should be a last resort when there is simply not enough enrollment to support a team long term, not for when participation is not enough to support a team on the short term.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:08 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:

All take many more kids to form a team. Yes, they are both in 9man with their enrollments, but like I said there are many schools with enrollments half of each that still support teams and have more participation. I only believe coops should be a last resort when there is simply not enough enrollment to support a team long term, not for when participation is not enough to support a team on the short term.

New flash!! (and I'm not being funny) the whole world thinks (and I dont think they should) that the 4 main sports in Class B ND schools are Football Volleyball Boys and girls Basketball....so thats why its last resort ndlionsfan for co-op.... not why your saying it is

"I only believe" certain things also and that is a true consolidation is better than a sports co-op....because then you will see participation and competition with-in, hence the beginning of a solid program
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:08 pm

They scored less than 60 points.

They didn't score 66.

They didn't score 85.

I never advocate letting a team score for mercy. You can't control whether they have shooters that can hit shots anyway. But you can control how your offense plays, and you can play zone.

It really isn't that hard.

Thompson and Park River showed how to control a game. Park River called the press off and didn't score 60. Thompson didn't score 60. Watford city scored 85, and you want to make this an apples to apples comparison.

Weak.

And Nudell can break the record or not, but it's worth more that programs survive than her finding her name on a wall. She's been starting since 7th grade, and I'm assuming the person whose record she's attempting break (BTW, who is that? Schneekloth? Just wondering) didn't start in seventh grade. Anyone playing today that breaks a record should have an asterisk by it anyway. Girls basketball isn't even close to what it used to be.

Minot Ryan best ever last year? Katie Richards beats that team with Cari Burchill and three pick-up players. Best my a$$. It's amazing how much hype basketball fans in North Dakota will buy into.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:11 pm

heimer wrote:They scored less than 60 points.

They didn't score 66.

They didn't score 85.

I never advocate letting a team score for mercy. You can't control whether they have shooters that can hit shots anyway. But you can control how your offense plays, and you can play zone.

Thompson and Park River showed how to control a game. Park River called the press off and didn't score 60. Thompson didn't score 60. Watford city scored 85, and you want to make this an apples to apples comparison.

Weak.

And Nudell can break the record or not, but it's worth more that programs survive than her finding her name on a wall. She's been starting since 7th grade, and I'm assuming the person whose record she's attempting break (BTW, who is that? Schneekloth? Just wondering) didn't start in seventh grade. Anyone playing today that breaks a record should have an asterisk by it anyway. Girls basketball isn't even close to what it used to be.

Minot Ryan best ever last year? Katie Richards beats that team with Cari Burchill and three pick-up players. Best my a$$. It's amazing how much hype basketball fans in North Dakota will buy into.

thats definitely the biggest understatement you've written
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:21 pm

They didn't score 66.

They didn't score 85.

Weak.

Tanya Fischer holds the record, I believe she started for Rhame in 7th and 8th grade and then moved to Bowman. I could be mistaken tho
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:22 pm

winner-within wrote:New flash!! (and I'm not being funny) the whole world thinks (and I dont think they should) that the 4 main sports in Class B ND schools are Football Volleyball Boys and girls Basketball....so thats why its last resort ndlionsfan for co-op.... not why your saying it is

"I only believe" certain things also and that is a true consolidation is better than a sports co-op....because then you will see participation and competition with-in, hence the beginning of a solid program

I said nothing about 4 main sports. I said that baseball, track, and wrestling take more players to form a team. Plain and simple. And by you throwing football in there, it just proves my point more. If Cavalier and North Border can find 20-30 boys to play a physical, demanding, and dangerous sport such as football they have enough girls in their school to find 15-20 to suit up for a basketball team. I'm guessing they each have 30+ for their respective vball teams. There are many schools that have 50 kids total in high school that can field a varsity and JV team. Just because participation is down in the short run doesn't mean a co-op is necessarily needed for the long run. In my opinion, there are a lot of unnecessary co-ops in ND sports right now.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:28 pm

And I'm not good at understatements.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:29 pm

The Schwab wrote:

They didn't score 66.

They didn't score 85.

Weak.

Tanya Fischer holds the record, I believe she started for Rhame in 7th and 8th grade and then moved to Bowman. I could be mistaken tho

My bad, thought it was the school record. Fischer started in 8th grade, and I'd still argue she played against better teams than today.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Not going to disagree with you that the competition was probably better when she played, plus she played on an undefeated State Championship team. I would however wager that she was part of some blowouts. It would be interesting to see if she put up big numbers in those games.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:38 pm

They didn't score 66.

They didn't score 85.

Is there really that big of a difference between 53, 58, and 66 points to determine who controlled the game?

Thompson was up 29-2 at the half. Garrison 35-2. At the end of third quarter Thompson 44-4. Garrison 50-4. Looks like basically the same game. Fourth quarter Garrison outscores South Prairie 16-2 and Thompson gets outscored 9-10. Maybe Garrison's younger kids are a little better and South Prairie still way overmatched while Thompson's JV matched up with HCV starters more equally? Judging by the scoring, looks like both coaches played it pretty similarly. BUT, I was not at either game and couldn't tell you. Obviously you know all the answers from not even watching either game. BUT, Garrison put up 66 and Thompson only 53 so it's miles apart on how the coaches handled it.

PRFL outscored Cavalier 49-6 last three quarters. WC put up 29 points first quarter, then just 15 in the second. Looks like the coach held the reigns a bit. Also, since it was in the tournament you don't have the luxury of maybe bringing up a few extra JV kids from the first game to help balance the playing field.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Funny how you:

Leave WC's 85 points out of your first statement.

Leave South Prairie's 6 out altogether.

You're still applying pressure, whether in the full court or halfcourt, if you allow six points. Allowing a three-point shot while maintaining a zone is not letting a team score. By the simple odds, South Prairie would have scored more than 6 points if they weren't facing pressure.

I'll admit, there's not a lot of difference between 66 and 58. There is a difference between 66 and 53. And 85 is out of reason.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:10 pm

what is the value in letting a team shoot from the outside?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls