Miss Basketball 2015-2016

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball 2015-2016

Postby nolan4 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:12 am

I have seen Two Bears and Jacobson, and IMO there is no comparison................IMO i just cant imagine someone being better than Jacobson, but I havnt seen Nudell, so if she is what some of you say she is, I would like to see her play.........i guess , i think if someone is that good, that they would lead their team to the state tourney.......so with that said , and i know again, i havnt seen Nudell, i would end up voting Jacobson.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Nodak Guy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:36 am

When does the list come out? Obviously a two girl race with Nudell and Jacobson. It's gotta be co-Miss this year, right?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:When does the list come out? Obviously a two girl race with Nudell and Jacobson. It's gotta be co-Miss this year, right?

It is possible, but it is not a committee vote, as I understand it........it is a media vote, not sure how many media members vote, but I think they vote 1,2, and 3. Must be some kind of points system.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:10 pm

What are her career accomplishments?
What did she do her senior year?
How many championships did she win?

Their have been other McDonalds nominees that have not won Mr./Ms. basketball
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:34 am

It is a media vote, and they have until the end of the 1st day of the last girls state tournament. This does give the advantage to Nudell since Jacobson will not be able to hold up her 3rd State Championship and MVP while they are voting. Nudell is a bigger media story since Stewart already won as a 3 time State Champion and MVP last year. With that said, both players are very deserving.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Craig Keating ‏@CraigKeating
Miss Basketball Finalists:
Cassie Askvig
Sarah Jacobson
Shaice Marx
Rylee Nudell
Lauren Rotunda
Katie Mogen
#NDPreps
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:06 am

Am I the only one who thinks that this is too many candidates?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:13 am

Sportsrube wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that this is too many candidates?

That was my thought, too. I think it could have been trimmed to 3-4
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:16 am

Everyone knows that it is between two people so what is the point of having 6 candidates?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:16 am

Baller wrote:Everyone knows that it is between two people so what is the point of having 6 candidates?

I see this as another one of those "Soccer Mom", we have to make everyone feel good things.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ninja_joe » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Miss Basketball Finalists:
Cassie Askvig
Sarah Jacobson
Shaice Marx
Rylee Nudell
Lauren Rotunda
Katie Mogen
#NDPreps

There is no comparison here. Askvig, Marx, Rotunda, & especially Mogen....none of them belong on this list. Plain & simple...Miss Basketball award is for the elite players. Miss Basketball should go to both Nudell & Jacobson. I have seen both in person. Jacobson is the better player but there is no denying Nudell and her accomplishments. Nudell is plenty good. Both are head and shoulders above any of the others.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 pm

scc wrote:I don't know what's wrong with having more than two finalists if they're deserving to be finalists. The other four should not be penalized because this is the year we have two individuals who will dominate the vote.

Agreed.

I think all were deserving.

When it is all said and done after this year's All State votes come out, I think we will have a combined 3 Second Team All State and 13 First Team All State selections between them. Nice group.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:43 am

I think the number of finalists actually speaks to the rightful winner, Sarah Jacobson.

Nudell broke a record, and still that many finalists. Not to mention some of those other finalists received first-place votes.

In the end, Jacobson led her team to three titles, right?, and how many straight wins?
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:37 pm

heimer wrote:I think the number of finalists actually speaks to the rightful winner, Sarah Jacobson.

Nudell broke a record, and still that many finalists. Not to mention some of those other finalists received first-place votes.

In the end, Jacobson led her team to three titles, right?, and how many straight wins?

Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MNTwinsFan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:34 am

I think if there was ever a time to do a co-award again, this year was the year. This is an individual award, not a team award. Does anyone feel like Jacobson would have gotten Maple Valley to State with the talent surrounding her? Or that Nudell wouldn't have won 3 championships with the talent around her Shanley? Individually, Nudell had the team on her back for six years since she was the best player in that school since being in seventh grade.

It also surprises me that Jacobson and Nudell didn't receive every single first place vote. There is no doubt all six were deserving to be candidates but I don't know how you don't vote for one of the two for the top basketball player in the state of ND.

Nonetheless, I wish them both the best of luck at NDSU. Together, go chase Summit titles!
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby OKCfan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:22 am

Couldn't agree more MNTwinsFan...getting to see both Rylee and Sarah play a decent amount in the past couple years, I don't think there's been a more competitive Miss BB competition in a while. When WDAY was announcing each candidate's accolades and Rylee's is "Leading scorer and rebounding in the history of ND girls basketball", don't you think she's a fairly worthy winner of the award?? By no means am I saying that Sarah didn't deserve the award, she is probably the best point guard I've seen in my time, but this is an individual award last time I checked. You throw Rotunda on the Raiders with Nudell and I guarantee they are going to state the last couple years. If you have 2 of the 3 Class A Miss BB candidates on one team, you should win state titles in a class with only 21 teams in the state! Once again, Sarah is a worthy winner, I just think co-winners would have been a more appropriate outcome. As MNTwinsFan stated in his post, I hope they lead the Bison to a couple national tournament appearances!
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:05 am

MNTwinsFan wrote:I think if there was ever a time to do a co-award again, this year was the year. This is an individual award, not a team award. Does anyone feel like Jacobson would have gotten Maple Valley to State with the talent surrounding her? Or that Nudell wouldn't have won 3 championships with the talent around her Shanley? Individually, Nudell had the team on her back for six years since she was the best player in that school since being in seventh grade.

It also surprises me that Jacobson and Nudell didn't receive every single first place vote. There is no doubt all six were deserving to be candidates but I don't know how you don't vote for one of the two for the top basketball player in the state of ND.

Nonetheless, I wish them both the best of luck at NDSU. Together, go chase Summit titles!

I actually do disagree with several of your points.

I think it is possible that Nudell and Rotunda could have won 3 straight titles, but I think it would have been unlikely.

I am not sold that Askvig or Rotunda are worse players than Nudell either. Both received significant D1 interest. Askvig is going to be the same 3 Time 1st Team All State player that Nudell is.

I think Sarah is highly impressive, but there have been instances where I thought Rotunda played better in a specific game. Maybe a voter happened to watch Shanley play 3 games and in 2 of them, Rotunda played better.

I think that the correct winner was picked, and wish great success to all of these athletes in their collegiate careers.

I dislike that we are acting like Jacobson and Nudell are on completely different levels than Askvig or Rotunda. I definitely think Jacobson is the best overall player, but to play devil'a advocate, Nudell is very similar to Regan Dennis of Bismarck Century.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:11 am

balla45 wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:I think if there was ever a time to do a co-award again, this year was the year. This is an individual award, not a team award. Does anyone feel like Jacobson would have gotten Maple Valley to State with the talent surrounding her? Or that Nudell wouldn't have won 3 championships with the talent around her Shanley? Individually, Nudell had the team on her back for six years since she was the best player in that school since being in seventh grade.

I think it is possible that Nudell and Rotunda could have won 3 straight titles, but I think it would have been unlikely.

I am not sold that Askvig or Rotunda are worse players than Nudell either. Both received significant D1 interest. Askvig is going to be the same 3 Time 1st Team All State player that Nudell is.

I think Sarah is highly impressive, but there have been instances where I thought Rotunda played better in a specific game. Maybe a voter happened to watch Shanley play 3 games and in 2 of them, Rotunda played better.

I think that the correct winner was picked, and wish great success to all of these athletes in their collegiate careers.

I dislike that we are acting like Jacobson and Nudell are on completely different levels than Askvig or Rotunda. I definitely think Jacobson is the best overall player, but to play devil'a advocate, Nudell is very similar to Regan Dennis of Bismarck Century.

Before the State A, I was hoping Nudell would have won the award, but watching Jacobson play in that tournament really did set her apart. The level of play was pretty high, and keep in mind that Sarah really struggled at the beginning of the championship game, and was still the undisputed leader on the floor. Asvig and Rotunda also showed that they were very high caliber players. Minot almost surprised Shanley in the opening round. Nudell played on varsity for 6 years, and is a very impressive player. It was unfortunate that her program couldn't have developed a few other players to help her get to the state tournament.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby east sider » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:42 am

balla45 wrote:

Well said. This was not like last year where Stewart and Freije were on another level, even if the stats indicate that. Personally I feel like Rotunda might have the most upside of them all. If she were the number one option on another team it would be interesting to see how she would have done.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wildcat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:11 am

From what I gathered in the article, there were 23 first place votes. And each player had a specific total, meaning they do this by the numbers according to a vote, like they do the football and basketball polls.

With that in mind, you likely can not really just decide to do a co-award. I guess that would only happen if the point totals actually tie. After all, this isn't Class B coaches trying to pick a region senior athlete and shrugging and just giving it to two players as a shared award so nobody feels bad. :D
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Wildcat wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:With that in mind, you likely can not really just decide to do a co-award. I guess that would only happen if the point totals actually tie. After all, this isn't Class B coaches trying to pick a region senior athlete and shrugging and just giving it to two players as a shared award so nobody feels bad. :D

We did not "shrug" in our region. We had a couple of senior athletes that were very even. Someone wanted to give a co-award and that coach was talked down in a hurry. We decided to vote and let the count dictate who got the award.

It is disgusting when people make blanket statements about a whole group of people when they have never, ever been involved in the actual process. At least your statement leads me to think that. :x
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:35 pm

No idea what you're talking about.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:01 pm

The previous post said that Class B coaches just give up and give co-awards if there are two seniors that are close for the senior athlete award.

I said in our Class B region, we didn't give up and give co-awards. We voted it out and one girl won and the other girl, although deserving, did not get a co-award. We didn't just shrug our shoulders, give up, and hand out co-awards.

I can't make it much clearer than that. :shock:
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls