Ms. Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Ms. Basketball

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:25 pm

fandb wrote:Easterner quotes:
It's too bad that nobody told Coach Stewart that anyone could have done her job, and still have success. I am sure she would have appreciated the extra time at home to help develop a few more all-staters

That is a cheap shot that i did not even think you would stoop too.

How is your DI team doing this year? Pretty smart for a new poster!

I am the one who posted that, and I meant it with respect to Coach Stewart that she puts a lot of time into coaching her team. She built a strong program, developed outstanding players, and was able to inspire her own kid which is really hard to do. And I am not a new poster, and the drama is getting old.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fandb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 pm

My apologies scooby.
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby momofathletes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:25 pm

easterner wrote:yea, individual stats are ok, but the 2 stats(one not really a stat) are never looked at in Ms. Basketball are assist and defense. I don't know why they(nd writers or whomever decides the players) don't put the top 10 points,rebounds, assist people in a list and then look at the overall play on both ends. We all know girls basketball is really one sided(as in talent) either your really good team or horrible(its sad but true), not many in the middle, as scores indicate. So its kinda hard to judge player of the year with 78-30 point games every week. aka Ryan, F/E. Any half way decent shooter and ball handler can put up 30+ points if they play a team that don't play defense and play all the minutes in a blow out. After watching F/E's 4th game and 5th game, proof was right their. Defense was played one game and next none. Maybe i'm old school on this. I think i would include 1 more on this list, what i read in the paper for stats 15 ave rebounds, 11.5 points(before regions, and regions sounded like she played really good also), and she plays all positions. And sounds like she gets some blocks and steals every game(defense) and the team holds other teams to less than 42 per game(really good). Shaice marx , i'm not saying she would win Ms. BBall, but those are not bad stats, i would assume she had a couple triple doubles too with her team mates getting double digit points too. Doesn't Watfield City have a good player too?

Hey Radball I would love to know which paper you read that gives stats when it is an accomplishment to get an accurate box score published in these parts. Same lies, same painful to read posts, new username. Oh well, nice try. And FYI Miss Basketball goes to a senior. Again nice try.
There's No Crying in Basketball
momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Postby MTfan4life » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 am

I think Klabo should get strong consideration for this award. At the Class A level, she is averaging 25.5 ppg (1st), 8.8 rpg (7th), 2.6 spg (8th), and 2.8 bpg (2nd). She's shooting a ridiculous 60% from the field (2nd) and a very good 80% at the line (4th). The numbers in parentheses are her state rankings for each statistic. All data comes from the EDC and WDA websites.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby triplebbb » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:28 am

Watford City's player, Katie Mogen, is a Junior
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:29 am

momofathletes wrote:
easterner wrote:yea, individual stats are ok, but the 2 stats(one not really a stat) are never looked at in Ms. Basketball are assist and defense. I don't know why they(nd writers or whomever decides the players) don't put the top 10 points,rebounds, assist people in a list and then look at the overall play on both ends. We all know girls basketball is really one sided(as in talent) either your really good team or horrible(its sad but true), not many in the middle, as scores indicate. So its kinda hard to judge player of the year with 78-30 point games every week. aka Ryan, F/E. Any half way decent shooter and ball handler can put up 30+ points if they play a team that don't play defense and play all the minutes in a blow out. After watching F/E's 4th game and 5th game, proof was right their. Defense was played one game and next none. Maybe i'm old school on this. I think i would include 1 more on this list, what i read in the paper for stats 15 ave rebounds, 11.5 points(before regions, and regions sounded like she played really good also), and she plays all positions. And sounds like she gets some blocks and steals every game(defense) and the team holds other teams to less than 42 per game(really good). Shaice marx , i'm not saying she would win Ms. BBall, but those are not bad stats, i would assume she had a couple triple doubles too with her team mates getting double digit points too. Doesn't Watfield City have a good player too?

Hey Radball I would love to know which paper you read that gives stats when it is an accomplishment to get an accurate box score published in these parts. Same lies, same painful to read posts, new username. Oh well, nice try. And FYI Miss Basketball goes to a senior. Again nice try.

One BIG LIKE. I enjoy insight, opinions, and debate on this site but it has to be within reason. The post by radba...I mean easterner is filled with so many typos, inaccuracies, and overall irrelevance I wish it would be deleted. 15 ave rebounds? Love to know where those stats came from. F/E? Never heard of that team. AGAIN criticizing FF. And of course the fact that he is touting a player that isn't even eligible this year for the award of this topic. I really wish he was her relative, b/c I literally fear for her safety
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames101 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 pm

east sider wrote:
momofathletes wrote:

H
ey Radball I would love to know which paper you read that gives stats when it is an accomplishment to get an accurate box score published in these parts. Same lies, same painful to read posts, new username. Oh well, nice try. And FYI Miss Basketball goes to a senior. Again nice try.

One BIG LIKE. I enjoy insight, opinions, and debate on this site but it has to be within reason. The post by radba...I mean easterner is filled with so many typos, inaccuracies, and overall irrelevance I wish it would be deleted. 15 ave rebounds? Love to know where those stats came from. F/E? Never heard of that team. AGAIN criticizing FF. And of course the fact that he is touting a player that isn't even eligible this year for the award of this topic. I really wish he was her relative, b/c I literally fear for her safety

11.5 ppg is not Ms.Basketball caliber stat. JMHO
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm

He IS her relative.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby kingjames101 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:47 pm

Hinsa wrote:

He IS her relative.

BOOM :lol:
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Hinsa wrote:

He IS her relative.

If this is the case than I feel really sad for her, I'm sure she has to be embarrassed by this relative, I know I would be.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:32 am

sportsphenom wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

He IS her relative.

If this is the case than I feel really sad for her, I'm sure she has to be embarrassed by this relative, I know I would be.

Did it ever dawn on all of you that it may be a couple of girls trying to stir the pot?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:11 am

That has happened before. That is not the case here though.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:46 pm

I haven't kept up on who votes for MS. Basketball and how many people vote on this. The girls mentioned on the above lists all seem like very quality representatives for the award. Going into this year from last year Stewart seemed like leading candidate for the award but I believe that Freije has made a push for the award as the season has gone along. Her individual play and leadership in bringing her small schools back to the state has made mark in last month. I have seen in the past regional and community interests have help sway the vote some for various past winners. Stewart also has Bohl play with her so their might be some split of the votes for her locally that might hurt Stewart chances at the award. Also which has more sway with the voters Stewart's going on to play for Big 10 school or Freije's going on to play for leading North Dakota program in basketball at UND. Like I say the above girls mentioned are all quality players and have merits for the award and will represent North Dakota well.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:43 am

I always think people should watch tournaments without a roster. If a player is good, you will know. Even if she is having an off game, you will know by how she reacts and how her team reacts. Stewart really stepped out as the top player at the state tournament. She had 2 fouls right away, but never stopped being a factor in the game. She stayed aggressive, and actually, seemed a lot smarter with the foul trouble which opened up opportunities for her teammates.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby kingjames101 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:20 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:I always think people should watch tournaments without a roster. If a player is good, you will know. Even if she is having an off game, you will know by how she reacts and how her team reacts. Stewart really stepped out as the top player at the state tournament. She had 2 fouls right away, but never stopped being a factor in the game. She stayed aggressive, and actually, seemed a lot smarter with the foul trouble which opened up opportunities for her teammates.

If we go by tournament play n stats. Then Fallyn wins. If we go by season stats, then Fallyn wins. If we go by career stats, I believe Fallyn is around 20.1 20.2 points per game over her career etc etc n I believe she wins that stat category also if it is based off an individual award n not the hype of team records etc. Maybe I'm wrong.

Watching tournament Fallyn seems like a better all around player. Hannah is also a great player very tight in rankings. Hannah seems to be more post up set up jump shot n dribble drive score or dribble pull up jumper type of player like what I have watched Fallyn do. I will observe tonight's game n see if I see any more differences. Both of these girls are great players at the next level from play, confidence, vision of the game, n the effort from within that they have put into this game on n off the court. True Role Models for future players!!!
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HONKER » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:33 pm

I agree. BR has a better supporting cast around them. Fallyn has had to do more on her own to make the team better. Some people may not see it that way. I've been able to watch her for the last 5 years and new she was going to be a special player. If I had a vote she would be a shoe in for Ms. Basketball.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames101 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:46 pm

HONKER wrote:I agree. BR has a better supporting cast around them. Fallyn has had to do more on her own to make the team better. Some people may not see it that way. I've been able to watch her for the last 5 years and new she was going to be a special player. If I had a vote she would be a shoe in for Ms. Basketball.

Thanks HONKER. You nor myself are from there n are both open fans. Hannah is great player also. We will see what tonight brings. 16 min til tip off of Class B Girls March Madness
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nationalchamp00 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:38 pm

Candidates announced tonight?
nationalchamp00
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:25 pm

Tonight (Wednesday):

Alexis Klabo, Fargo Davies
Gabbie Bohl, Bishop Ryan
Fallyn Freije, Lakota/Edmore
Hannah Stewart, Bishop Ryan
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ninja_joe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:18 pm

Hannah Stewart wins Ms. Basketball. She definitely is a good player & her stats speak for themselves. However, I am not sure she is even the best big girl on her own team. Freije scored 45pts against Bishop Ryan this year...that's against Gabbie Bohl & Hannah Stewart at the same time. My goodness. Sportscasters...you guys got this one wrong.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:22 pm

one game doesn't determine this award.

Now I would have loved to see Freije get this award but its hard to argue that Hannah Stewart doesn't deserve it...because she does.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby rains32 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:44 pm

Good group of players. Congrats to Stewart.
Last edited by rains32 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rains32
NDPreps Starter

Postby ninja_joe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:51 pm

No. One game doesn't garner this award. Career numbers definitely should. Just seeing them both in person several times, watching them play each other over the years, & of course watching them at state tournaments...Frieje has some much more versatility to her game. They are both great players. It's real simple. If Frieje played for Bishop Ryan...they still win 3 state titles. If Stewart plays for Lakota...they have a hard time even getting to one state tournament. Imagine Stewart seeing box & 1 all year long. She would still be a great player...but when she went against a quality B team playing that defense, she would likely struggle. Frieje put up some pretty impressive numbers seeing stuff like that her whole career.

The bottom line Stewart wins three state titles. She is a tremendous player. She is Ms. Basketball. Pretty hard feat for Frieje to accomplish considering the size of her high school & her teammates simply are not quite as good as what exists at Bishop Ryan. In the end, it really doesn't matter I guess. I just would like to see the small school kids get their due every now & then. Both are solid & best of luck to them at the next level.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:32 am

So if Freije plays for Ryan, she would have won 3 state titles, and Stewart wouldn't have. I guess that is a bigger argument that Bohl should have won Miss Basketball because she must be the reason Ryan wins...maybe that's true, and why she was nominated. Keep in mind that Minot Ryan has won 3 state championships, and players actually graduated. Wald wasn't the point guard last year, and Bohl was not a 3 year all-stater. Freije is an outstanding ball player, but her 1st round game at State was not a good showcase for her especially for a player who has faced a box and 1 all year and still had high stats. (It did showcase an outstanding freshman who stopped her tho.)

This was a very talented group, and its great that we can follow all of them at the next level.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ninja_joe » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 am

When you see an excellent team employ any type of chaser or "junk" defense against a great player, usually the person chasing totally denies the ball & if the offensive player gets the ball...there is an immediate double team or the entire defensive team is in position to help. Facing a state caliber team & them employing this defense for the entire game makes it tough on the offensive player.

Frieje certainly saw chaser defenses throughout the year...just not from teams as solid as LaMoure was. She had a solid state tourney. Parshall kept her to her average of 25pts playing box & 1. Shiloh played man against her & got torched for 35pts.

Anna Hollen was not the kid chasing Frieje. She was the help defender on the top of the box the entire game. Hollen scored most of her points down the stretch from the free throw line as she really didn't play all that well (18 pts I think...with like 12 coming from line....something like 8 turnovers too).

Meikljohn is a freshman & did a great job of denying with her quickness. She split time with Hebl who is a junior, chasing Frieje. They did as good of a job of denying as you can. It was a team defense that kept her in check...it think she still had 20pts though. No other kid in the state B likely would have had that with that particular defense played on them by LaMoure.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls