2015 STATE TOURNEY

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Bishop Ryan
57%
Kindred
7%
Lakota/Edmore
17%
Thompson
7%
Parshall
2%
LaMoure-LM
5%
Shiloh Christian
5%
Dickinson Trinity
No votes

Total votes : 42

Re: 2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby arewehavingfunyet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:17 pm

In response to east sider’s comment on leaving BR’s starters in the game well past the point of winning the game perhaps it is important for a basketball coach to be a” life coach”. What a wonderful opportunity for the BR coach to sub players in off the bench, to give those girls that practice every day and don’t start a chance to play on TV. What an opportune time for the coach to show her girls some sportsmanship to stop the humiliation of the other team of losing by so many points on TV. If she sits one starter down at the end of the game, she probably should sit the others down. It doesn’t appear she has done that all year. I wonder why?
arewehavingfunyet
NDPreps Rookie

Postby fandb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:24 pm

By the looks of the game, all 12 players played. What is your "by the looks all year" based upon?
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby arewehavingfunyet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:32 pm

It doesn't appear she has taken starters out, for the rest of the game, when winning by a lot, during the whole year. Based upon listening to games and watching the news. She likes to play her starters to the end. I am not saying it is wrong. I just wonder why.
arewehavingfunyet
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nolan4 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:34 pm

arewehavingfunyet wrote:In response to east sider’s comment on leaving BR’s starters in the game well past the point of winning the game perhaps it is important for a basketball coach to be a” life coach”. What a wonderful opportunity for the BR coach to sub players in off the bench, to give those girls that practice every day and don’t start a chance to play on TV. What an opportune time for the coach to show her girls some sportsmanship to stop the humiliation of the other team of losing by so many points on TV. If she sits one starter down at the end of the game, she probably should sit the others down. It doesn’t appear she has done that all year. I wonder why?

I have probably watched Ryan play a dozen games this year, and you can bet her starters have played less than any team in the state and understandably their is a reason why, they are way ahead, I actually like the way she subs, she doesnt take out all the starters at once usually 2 sometimes 3 so the subs can play with some of the other starters(1st, 2nd, 3rd qtrs)......Then usually the last 4 minutes of the game...........its just a unique situation with them , dont want to penalize them cuz they are so good, and dont want to embarrass the other team, hard to balance especially in district games where their are some really poor teams........so they schedules the best of 'B' so they could have some challenges............They will have some struggles for the next year or 2 and then be strong again, but I think they only have one talented big coming up instead of 2............If Ryan would only have one of Stewart or Bohl, they would still be really good, but having 2 at the same time, basically makes it impossible, again very unique , especially in Class B.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby arewehavingfunyet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:48 pm

I respect your opinion Nolan4, but when the 4th quarter started and the one starter was still in game, I switched the channel. Coaches need to teach players good sportsmanship. I will refrain from saying what I want to say and leave it at that.
arewehavingfunyet
NDPreps Rookie

Postby packers21 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Only reason I thought she coulda sub the girls out sooner was they are playing for the State Championship tonight, I didnt wanna see anyone get hurt in a blow game. If they are ahead by 50 tonight and she sticks with her starters I wouldnt care those kids deserve to play they have earned it.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fandb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:24 pm

arewehavingfunyet wrote:I respect your opinion Nolan4, but when the 4th quarter started and the one starter was still in game, I switched the channel. Coaches need to teach players good sportsmanship. I will refrain from saying what I want to say and leave it at that.

Off base and unfounded. Talk to those around the program, associated or not, Coach Stewart has a program in which hard work, team first, student-athletes, citizenship, and sportsmanship are emphasized throughout. Too bad so many choose to tear down instead od celebrate. Some choose to look half empty.
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby arewehavingfunyet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Hey fandb, I sorry you feel you have to defend this coach. Some choose to look half empty and some choose not to look at all. Good Luck to all the participants tonight. I am sure they all will display good character and sportsmanship
arewehavingfunyet
NDPreps Rookie

Postby fandb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Not nearly as sorry as I am for those that spend the time criticizing others with unfounded and naive statements.
fandb
NDPreps Starter

Postby arewehavingfunyet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Ouch fandb, that hurt. But I think I'll get over it. It appears you are taking this to a personal level and it must be exhausting to be so dramatic about this kind of stuff. Had I known this previous to my comment, I would have been more gentle. I hope you get well soon. Good luck to your Lions.
arewehavingfunyet
NDPreps Rookie

Postby kingjames101 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:03 pm

east sider wrote:
ninja_joe wrote:Championship: Bishop Ryan vs. Kindred Kindred is the one team in the tournament that plays a style that possibly could give Ryan trouble. Kindred will have to hit 10+ 3's & get into their press. Those will be the only shots they get in the half court. Because that's what they like to shoot anyways, they MIGHT get hot. Bishop Ryan just too dominant inside & likely will win by 20pts

3rd Place: Dickinson Trinity vs. LMM I like watching LMM play. Losing a touch semi final game in OT can take alot out of you though. The third day in a row on a big court--fatigue shows up. Dickinson Trinity will want to play better tonight. This will make for a close game. Low scoring I think, but LMM pulls it out.

5th Place: Shiloh vs. Lakota/Edmore Be nice to see Shiloh play Lakota straight up man to man. Frieje has been seeing box & 1 whole tournament. LMM could play it. Parshall put weak players on her & it cost them the game as she had 25pts against sub-par defenders. This could be the best game of the day. Shiloh is definitely one of the top 3 teams in tournament. If they chase Frieje, they win. They man Lakota up, it will be a game.

7th Place: Parshall vs. Thompson Early in the year they met up & it was a close game. No one wants to end their season with a loss. Thompson was seeded to highly based on this being their 3rd straight trip to state B. They are the weakest team this year. Last year Region 8 got swept out of the State B with Watford City not winning a game. Parshall on the verge of that this year. But Parshall has the more talented team here & 4 seniors. Parshall will win if they don't go to their bench anymore than they have to. If they play their bench like they did yesterday against Lakota, this will be too close to call.

I like your analysis of the championship game. Don't forget that if either Bohl or Stewart get into foul trouble Kindred has a real shot.

On a side note, I will question Coach Stewart's decison to play her starters into the 4th Quarter of a 30 point blow out. Bohl hit the floor numerous times, and Wald slammed into the ground pretty hard on a fast break. I just don't see the point, especially when you're going up against the deepest team in the state the next day. Any Ryan fans care to comment?

Absolutely agree I questioned that also. With bench players they have so what if they only win by 20. Nobody got hurt so that didn't bite them.
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kingjames101 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:06 pm

packers21 wrote:Only reason I thought she coulda sub the girls out sooner was they are playing for the State Championship tonight, I didnt wanna see anyone get hurt in a blow game. If they are ahead by 50 tonight and she sticks with her starters I wouldnt care those kids deserve to play they have earned it.

Felt the same way packer21. Even her bench is better than most teams.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby imperials » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:29 pm

Up by 24 with 213 left and still have starters in, what a dumb woman as a coach
imperials
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 pm

How does Larry Louser keep the PA job?
Last edited by bequickdonthurry on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:52 pm

imperials wrote:Up by 24 with 213 left and still have starters in, what a dumb woman as a coach

Classy comment. She wins Coach of The Year, and wins three straight State titles. If she took her starters out every time they were up by 24, the starters would never play! :shock:
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:09 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
ninja_joe wrote:Thursday, March 5th
G1: #2 Kindred (24-0) vs. Parshall (20-5)
G2: #3 Lakota/Edmore (22-2) vs. LaMoure-LM (21-4)
G3: #1 Bishop Ryan (23-1) vs. Shiloh Christian (22-2)
G4: #4 Thompson (22-2) vs. Dickinson Trinity (19-5)

1st - Ryan
2nd - Kindred
3rd - L-E
4th - Trinity
5th - LLM
6th - Shiloh
7th - Thompson
8th - Parshall

Not bad, only got two games wrong all tourney
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:26 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

1st - Ryan
2nd - Kindred
3rd - L-E
4th - Trinity
5th - LLM
6th - Shiloh
7th - Thompson
8th - Parshall

I don't get what you mean. You had the winner wrong in 3 of the 4 games today????
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby yellowjacket » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:35 pm

Down 24 and still have starters in, it's getting old.
yellowjacket
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:54 pm

d_fense wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

1st - Ryan
2nd - Kindred
3rd - L-E
4th - Trinity
5th - LLM
6th - Shiloh
7th - Thompson
8th - Parshall

I don't get what you mean. You had the winner wrong in 3 of the 4 games today????

In ndlionsfan's defense and how he's probably looking at it
L-LM got 3rd; Lakota/Edmore got 5th...he just got those switched around in original predictions...so that's 1 wrong.
Picked Thompson over Parshall...so that's 2 wrong.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
d_fense wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

1st - Ryan
2nd - Kindred
3rd - L-E
4th - Trinity
5th - LLM
6th - Shiloh
7th - Thompson
8th - Parshall

L-LM got 3rd; Lakota/Edmore got 5th...he just got those switched around in original predictions...so that's 1 wrong.

I get where he was going with his statement. but, I do not think you can count a game as being picked correctly if you don't have the two right teams playing because of earlier incorrect picks.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ninja_joe » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:38 am

Thursday, March 5th

Kindred over Parshall 52-45
Lakota over LaMoure 55-39
Bishop Ryan over Shiloh 58-44
Thompson over Trinity 42-41

Those were my picks to start the tourney. I guess I was a little off!

Thoughts about the tourney.....
LaMoure-LM definitely became my favorite team to watch. Very impressed with the calm & cool demeanor of this team, especially considering how young they are. There are some good teams in their region--but I think they will likely be back next year. Great tournament ladies.

Bishop Ryan is pretty salty. Those two guards were real smooth. Ballhandling, passing, court awareness, & of course shooting/scoring. They are playing with a stacked deck with a line up like that though. Hard to pull for them because I am a small school guy BUT they were impressive & definitely among the top 10 best class B teams of all time. I just wish they wouldn't have ran the score up on several teams over the past 3 years as doing unnecessary things like that simply gives their program a negative image they don't need. They get enough of that by being a parochial school in a large ND city.

Frieje is the best player in class B ball in ND as far as seniors go. If you put Stewart on Lakota's team instead of Frieje, I don't think Lakota makes it to state this year. Just my opinion. I didn't see any other girl in ND (outside of the Maple Valley girl) class B ball that does the things Frieje does. Give her the supporting cast Stewart has & she wins 3 straight too. Once again, just my opinion.

Coach of the Year - I think nearly all high school coaches in ND would like to have the team Julie Stewart has at Bishop Ryan & they will tell you they could win 3 state titles in a row too. Bottom line is she didn't screw them up. Be nice to see the ND coaches association appreciate the accomplishments of those small school coaches who guide their teams to state without the fanfare. LaMoure-LM very well coached. Parshall's coach too...I think this was their first trip to state in GBB. But for Bishop Ryan & Coach Stewart, 3 straight state titles speaks for itself I guess.

I hope Jaye Two Bears is able to bounce back next year & not be a shell of herself. Admire her grit & toughness to play for her team with absolutely little to no mobility.

All in all a fun tournament to watch with some talented teams.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames101 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:57 am

Kindred over Parshall 52-45
Lakota over LaMoure 55-39
Bishop Ryan over Shiloh 58-44
Thompson over Trinity 42-41

Those were my picks to start the tourney. I guess I was a little off!

Thoughts about the tourney.....
LaMoure-LM definitely became my favorite team to watch. Very impressed with the calm & cool demeanor of this team, especially considering how young they are. There are some good teams in their region--but I think they will likely be back next year. Great tournament ladies.

Bishop Ryan is pretty salty. Those two guards were real smooth. Ballhandling, passing, court awareness, & of course shooting/scoring. They are playing with a stacked deck with a line up like that though. Hard to pull for them because I am a small school guy BUT they were impressive & definitely among the top 10 best class B teams of all time. I just wish they wouldn't have ran the score up on several teams over the past 3 years as doing unnecessary things like that simply gives their program a negative image they don't need. They get enough of that by being a parochial school in a large ND city.

Frieje is the best player in class B ball in ND as far as seniors go. If you put Stewart on Lakota's team instead of Frieje, I don't think Lakota makes it to state this year. Just my opinion. I didn't see any other girl in ND (outside of the Maple Valley girl) class B ball that does the things Frieje does. Give her the supporting cast Stewart has & she wins 3 straight too. Once again, just my opinion.

Coach of the Year - I think nearly all high school coaches in ND would like to have the team Julie Stewart has at Bishop Ryan & they will tell you they could win 3 state titles in a row too. Bottom line is she didn't screw them up. Be nice to see the ND coaches association appreciate the accomplishments of those small school coaches who guide their teams to state without the fanfare. LaMoure-LM very well coached. Parshall's coach too...I think this was their first trip to state in GBB. But for Bishop Ryan & Coach Stewart, 3 straight state titles speaks for itself I guess.

I hope Jaye Two Bears is able to bounce back next year & not be a shell of herself. Admire her grit & toughness to play for her team with absolutely little to no mobility.

All in all a fun tournament to watch with some talented teams.

Great perspective view. I have to agree with you on all of these opinions. I really feel Fallyn should have been awarded senior athlete of the year n hope they don't make that same mistake voting Stewart over her for Ms. Basketball.....
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:25 am

kingjames101 wrote:
Great perspective view. I have to agree with you on all of these opinions. I really feel Fallyn should have been awarded senior athlete of the year n hope they don't make that same mistake voting Stewart over her for Ms. Basketball.....

They?

The media selects Miss BB. The coaches selected Sr AotY.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:32 am

It was a great tournament overall, and I thought it represented ND Class B pretty well. LL-M definitely became my tournament favorite. For such a young team, they were extremely poised...even when they were being interviewed by the media. I will assume the majority of the posters on this site is correct by saying the Freije is the best senior, but unfortunately, she didn't come out of the blocks in the 1st round which is what MVP and SOY winners should do especially if it is your 3rd trip to state. I am not saying that Stewart was amazing either, but they played a highly ranked team and won, and she was one of the leading scorers. I have been a Ryan supporter, but during the last 2 nights, I got tired of watching them. I don't feel that the starters needed to sit out, but did they have to run and gun and can 3 pointers as they were up 20 or 30 going into the 4th quarter? If they had to set up a play, they were not very disciplined. I wish I could have seen whether or not anyone had a post move, or if a guard had any serious ball handling skills.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:52 am

d_fense wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
d_fense wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

1st - Ryan
2nd - Kindred
3rd - L-E
4th - Trinity
5th - LLM
6th - Shiloh
7th - Thompson
8th - Parshall

I get where he was going with his statement. but, I do not think you can count a game as being picked correctly if you don't have the two right teams playing because of earlier incorrect picks.

Those were my predictions before the tourney started. If I had remade picks each night, I would have just replaced L-E with LLM.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls