2015 STATE TOURNEY

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Bishop Ryan
57%
Kindred
7%
Lakota/Edmore
17%
Thompson
7%
Parshall
2%
LaMoure-LM
5%
Shiloh Christian
5%
Dickinson Trinity
No votes

Total votes : 42

Re: 2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby kingjames101 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:40 pm

d_fense wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:heimer...what years did Richards play HS??

I believe she graduated in 1996? Was the co-Miss Bball in 1995? I know she was still playing at UND in 2000. I didn't see her play in HS but did quite a bit in college and she was a heck of a player. Also coached against her a bit when she was at Hope-Page and MPCG. Like someone said before, could have easily gone to a larger "d-1" school instead of UND but chose to play close to home. That's why the term "d-1 recruit" really doesn't mean anything to me. There are a lot of players that could go d-1 but choose otherwise for a variety of reasons, but doesn't mean they are any less talented than the ones to do play at a d-1 school.

I think the year she won Miss Basketball, there were 3 winners. Richards was an outstanding player, but I thought Nina Topp who was an amazing ball-handler and should have won it outright. I know that college commitments doesn't exactly reflect talent, but Topp was a D1 recruit and led her team to a state championship when Class B talent was at a very high level.

And I thought Topp was the third best player that year. The other winner was Lisa Maus. She went to Mary and was NAIA player of the year in leading Mary to a National Championship. I would have ranked them, Richards, Maus, and then Topp.

Watched all 3 of those girls play n they were very good. Watched Katie at UND lots. But when u look at them n I said there were very good they also are not on the top 10 lists for any categories.
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go maji » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:28 pm

For anyone not familiar with the PA guy, he also does Minot football games. And he messes up the same names every single time. Even though he does all of their home games. Also, stumbling during intros isn't the worst thing that he's said on the mic.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby RattlerWebWonk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:14 pm

How does Larry Louser keep the PA job?

Sometimes the greats don't know when it's time to call it quits! :cry:

When you have someone who's been doing as long and as good (?) as Larry has, it's hard to kick them to the curb. The PA announcer at the Fargodome (Joel Vettel?) during the state wrestling tournament 2 weeks ago had the same problem with mispronouncing names. It's pretty sad when there is a 5-time state champ and everyone in the building knows how to pronounce his name except the PA announcer! Awkward!

When he started announcing basketball games, Larry's skills were head-and-shoulders above anyone else in the state and it really got the crowd's energy up...especially for us Class B'ers who were used to "Principal Davis" stumbling through the program he just grabbed to introduce the starting lineups. I'll always remember the first time I heard Larry say my name for THREEEEEEE... Of course, that was 30+ years ago. :shock: Time to hang it up, Larry, before your legend is tarnished more than it already is.
RattlerWebWonk
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Minot has had two tournaments this year.

Both were abysmal failures.

Volleyball was a joke, with two courts end-to-end, dead atmosphere, terrible food, bad announcing, etc.

I wasn't there, but in reading this thread, sounds like same complaints for basketball.

The NDHSAA simply doesn't care about the fan. All they care about is the money from TV and your ticket. Once you're in the door, you're just a number. There is no effort to make this a show, and those ticket prices are pretty high for a no-fan-experience event.

If we're going to fall all over ourselves for "atmosphere" for hockey, lets do it for the rest of the sports.

1. Volleyball should never be in a major arena. It should be permanently located at the Betty in Grand Forks and the Civic Center in Jamestown, period.

2. Volleyball should be played on one floor. If we can play a state title football game at 9 in the morning, we can dang sure play a first-round volleyball match at 9, and alternate who goes first each year (A, B, then B, A)

3. The Super A basketball tournament can be played on one floor as well. See point two for scheduling, alternating between girls and boys. The NAIA makes it work for college games, which are longer and have more timeouts.

4. The NDHSAA needs to establish a minimum of offerings for food choices. Pizza, pretzels, and popcorn don't cut it at a state tournament, when the fan can find better food options at their local high school game between 12 and 13 seeds. Burgers, hot dogs, brats, taco in a bag, pizza, popcorn, candy, pop minimum.

5. Ticket prices need to come down. Put the schools in charge of their travel budgets for state tournaments. No more reimbursement. You made it, you budget for it. The only way fans should pay for travel through ticket prices is if the tournament is permanently located in one place. If it rotates between the four corners, there is no travel reimbursement from the NDHSAA.

6. Announcers will be required to pronounce every name before the tournament. The state can get off it's butt, work some extra hours, and get the book published well beforehand, and get the rosters to the announcer(s) involved. No excuse for this.

7. Organize a few shuttle buses for fans from lodging, malls, etc. They can be paid shuttles, but I'm guessing fans would LOVE it. Tell the hosts cities to organize such services. Parking=no longer an issue.

Can we please put some thought into this?
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby BigCat » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:43 pm

heimer wrote:Minot has had two tournaments this year.

Volleyball was a joke, with two courts end-to-end, dead atmosphere, terrible food, bad announcing, etc.

I wasn't there, but in reading this thread, sounds like same complaints for basketball.

The NDHSAA simply doesn't care about the fan. All they care about is the money from TV and your ticket. Once you're in the door, you're just a number. There is no effort to make this a show, and those ticket prices are pretty high for a no-fan-experience event.

If we're going to fall all over ourselves for "atmosphere" for hockey, lets do it for the rest of the sports.

1. Volleyball should never be in a major arena. It should be permanently located at the Betty in Grand Forks and the Civic Center in Jamestown, period.

2. Volleyball should be played on one floor. If we can play a state title football game at 9 in the morning, we can dang sure play a first-round volleyball match at 9, and alternate who goes first each year (A, B, then B, A)

3. The Super A basketball tournament can be played on one floor as well. See point two for scheduling, alternating between girls and boys. The NAIA makes it work for college games, which are longer and have more timeouts.

4. The NDHSAA needs to establish a minimum of offerings for food choices. Pizza, pretzels, and popcorn don't cut it at a state tournament, when the fan can find better food options at their local high school game between 12 and 13 seeds. Burgers, hot dogs, brats, taco in a bag, pizza, popcorn, candy, pop minimum.

5. Ticket prices need to come down. Put the schools in charge of their travel budgets for state tournaments. No more reimbursement. You made it, you budget for it. The only way fans should pay for travel through ticket prices is if the tournament is permanently located in one place. If it rotates between the four corners, there is no travel reimbursement from the NDHSAA.

6. Announcers will be required to pronounce every name before the tournament. The state can get off it's butt, work some extra hours, and get the book published well beforehand, and get the rosters to the announcer(s) involved. No excuse for this.

7. Organize a few shuttle buses for fans from lodging, malls, etc. They can be paid shuttles, but I'm guessing fans would LOVE it. Tell the hosts cities to organize such services. Parking=no longer an issue.

Well said, could not agree more! The board at the NDHSAA needs to quit spending as if it is their own wallet. Its about the kids guys, not your organization! Buck up or get the heck out of there. We need people from the 2000's, not the 1970's.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:28 pm

110% agree, thats why have sent a email to every board member asking for similar changes. And to NEVER have Minot host ANY major high school event again. Writing things on a blog board don't do any good unless we write to the NDHSAA board and demand a response back, need to hold them accountable!
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 pm

heimer wrote:Minot has had two tournaments this year.

Heimer,
I usually think you're off your rocker when I read your posts---I still think you're nuts over the Katie Richards team over this years Ryan team. But I gotta admit, I agree with most of you've put in this one. Begrudgingly, good work :wink:
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:51 pm

imperials wrote:Up by 24 with 213 left and still have starters in, what a dumb woman as a coach

This is how and why people get permanently banned.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby pmu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:09 pm

Agree. That comment made me cringe when I read it....I was embarrassed for 'imperials' as a husband, father of a daughter and a North Dakotan.
pmu
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:54 am

easterner wrote:110% agree, thats why have sent a email to every board member asking for similar changes. And to NEVER have Minot host ANY major high school event again. Writing things on a blog board don't do any good unless we write to the NDHSAA board and demand a response back, need to hold them accountable!

I agree that letters should be sent to the your schools AD and the NDHSSA directly. A quick email to the news stations that covered the event could also be helpful. Its a reflection of their coverage of the event (even tho they are not responsible for how it is handled). I really thought the awards ceremony looked like an unorganized family reunion, and then I started to laugh when the random "We Are the Champions" started to play when BR got their championship trophy.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby justplayalready » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:15 am

It's not the site people...

How can the Minot Dome go from what was supposedly the best site for Bball when Milnor wins it, to the worst when Minot wins??? I doubt the site deteriorated that much in two years...the walk up the hill after you lose your buzz is still the same. Still breaks your wallet for the $3 bottle of pop and dippin dots...What's Changed??? Will the boys being back in Bismarck be the greatest thing ever??? Maybe, depending on who wins it.

We as fans are at fault...The B IMHO is broken, it has been for years. But we all hold hands and sing all is well when Milnor wins it. It still is as broken then as when Fargo wins it, or Minot wins three in a row and their only real competition is Bismarck...The attitude that it is fine when Bismarck, Dickinson, Minot are three of the eight, but don't win has to stop. It is still broken when that happens. It's still broken when the "darling" of the tournament is an actual B school...It has gotten so bad that the Big B's are now given a pass and are forgotten if they don't make the tournament...( Does Grafton, Watford and Beluah have BBasketball this year??? :mrgreen: )

If fans are going to let the NDHSAA know their feelings, don't say it's the site. All the sites have their faults, but address the real issue here...

The BCP's have an an extreme disproportionate state tournament appearances, especially in the last few decades.
These BCP's have an agreed list of competitive advantages over other B schools in their regions, INCLUDING the ability to PASSIVELY RECRUIT ATHLETES.
Enrollment numbers and numbers that can be controlled should not be the sole decision as to how a school is classed.
These tourneys should not be about the financial gain of the HSAA...

Address these first, then go to the sites...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:52 am

Well said justplayalready, the privates do have unfair advantages over the public schools, but everyone seems to be afraid of speaking out about it. But I still think some things about the 2015 State Class B Girl's BB tournament need to be addressed. The terrible PA announcer, the concessions (lack of anything except the basics), the price of concessions (but that is every venue) and a few other things. I still think the MSU Dome and the Bismarck Civic (Event?) Center are the two best places to host a State Class B BB tournament. If the tournament managers and the NDHSAA took care of the little things then it would make the whole tourny better for participants and fans.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scruffy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:37 pm

advantage for private schools? What about open enrollment and that whole can of worms....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 am

scruffy wrote:advantage for private schools? What about open enrollment and that whole can of worms....

Advantage in they can passively recruit athletes in a large city/population area

The open enrollment issue may soon become something...I'm curious how things will shake out in Minot and surrounding area. You are adding two new suburb B's to the two Privates as well as the 2-3 existing suburb B's. As the distance between these schools are close(IMHO what really makes open enrollment a viable option), It will be interesting to see if "better" teams are intentionally formed through this process...

Isn't something like this going on in the Fargo/ Suburbs now, but probably not a huge thing as it is on the "A" level????
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby BigCat » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:47 am

I hate to change the subject, but want to go on record that despite the minor problems with the concessions, parking, and NDHSAAA in general, we got to see a very good tournament. Albeit we had one team that was head and shoulders (literally) above the field, the talent was good with everyone bringing their A game. I would like to say thank you to all of the participants for a great effort. The season gave us all alot to talk about including the streak, talent, small team surpises, etc. etc. Now on to spring sports!!!!
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:06 pm

I was going to post this on the Class A girls thread, but didnt think anyone would see it.....but Turtle Mountain may be shooting bad, but with how they pass, I dont think they would have beat half the Class B teams in this yrs state tourney, maybe less.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

nolan4 wrote:I was going to post this on the Class A girls thread, but didnt think anyone would see it.....but Turtle Mountain may be shooting bad, but with how they pass, I dont think they would have beat half the Class B teams in this yrs state tourney, maybe less.

They are a talented basketball team who faced a very strong Century basketball team. Century could easily beat Shanley tonight, and could have beaten Ryan simply with their depth. At the State A, you aren't going to see teams hold back because they are up by 50. The fans stand right behind the basket and scream during free throws, and make fun of you if you miss. Class B fans would complain and try to get the coach and fans banned.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:58 am

BigCat wrote:I hate to change the subject, but want to go on record that despite the minor problems with the concessions, parking, and NDHSAAA in general, we got to see a very good tournament. Albeit we had one team that was head and shoulders (literally) above the field, the talent was good with everyone bringing their A game. I would like to say thank you to all of the participants for a great effort. The season gave us all alot to talk about including the streak, talent, small team surpises, etc. etc. Now on to spring sports!!!!

This is the tactic used by the NDHSAA to preserve the status quo.

It should not be used, or even acknowledged.

The State B girls does not belong at the Minot State Dome.

Furthermore, with the lackluster attendance numbers, it's time to consider a Super B and a Super A and open up a weekend, in case the HSAA is ever cured of it's massive case of anal-cranial inversion.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby nolan4 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:08 pm

heimer wrote:
BigCat wrote:I hate to change the subject, but want to go on record that despite the minor problems with the concessions, parking, and NDHSAAA in general, we got to see a very good tournament. Albeit we had one team that was head and shoulders (literally) above the field, the talent was good with everyone bringing their A game. I would like to say thank you to all of the participants for a great effort. The season gave us all alot to talk about including the streak, talent, small team surpises, etc. etc. Now on to spring sports!!!!

This is the tactic used by the NDHSAA to preserve the status quo.

It should not be used, or even acknowledged.

The State B girls does not belong at the Minot State Dome.

Furthermore, with the lackluster attendance numbers, it's time to consider a Super B and a Super A and open up a weekend, in case the HSAA is ever cured of it's massive case of anal-cranial inversion.

I AGREE the dome is not a nice attraction for a State Tourney, and i am from Minot......If Minot had a facility that had better amenities(like a food court area), like Bismarck's Civic Center, they should be one of only 2 places that should hold the State B, until then, Bismarck should hold the tourney, by far the best venue for basketball.......................Actually I do like the idea of a Super B, but not for the same reason you do(I am assuming you are for 3 classes?) But it would build more interest and bring more fans to the tourney in general, but if they did that, i would want it to be a 4 day tourney and not a 3 day, they all deserve TV time and their own first round. :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:15 pm

First of all, they should run eight games in a day.

Second of all, all can be on TV.

We do it already.

It's called the Dakota Bowl.

Finally, if Minot and Bismarck get B basketball forever, A basketball comes east forever, and hockey goes to Grand Forks forever.

Otherwise, let your tournament move. They had better amenities at the FargoDome this weekend than Minot any day.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:20 pm

heimer, could you see the Scheels Arena as a better venue for State B GBB if it ends up in Fargo? I'd think that it'd be better all-around then the Dome. Thoughts?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby nolan4 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm

heimer wrote:First of all, they should run eight games in a day.

Second of all, all can be on TV.

We do it already.

It's called the Dakota Bowl.

Finally, if Minot and Bismarck get B basketball forever, A basketball comes east forever, and hockey goes to Grand Forks forever.

Otherwise, let your tournament move. They had better amenities at the FargoDome this weekend than Minot any day.

FargoDome has great amenities, no argument there, but i have been to state tourneys and hate the seating and how far you are from the court, but for Class B, i think it should be about centralization............As of now only Fargo and Grand Forks should hold the Dakota Bowl, and Grand Forks and maybe Fargo should hold the Hockey, best venues and for football , only real options for venues. Right now Bismarck has the best venue for basketball, centrally located. IMO :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:51 pm

I personally enjoy the Minot Dome. As a basketball arena, it's every bit as good as Bismarck to me. Maybe Bismarck is little better in the food court, but that's not as huge of a deal to me. As for parking, it's not bad if you cleverly use Bishop Ryan and Minot State's campus. Those two are a tie for me, and then I rank the Alerus third with the Fargodome coming in last. Those venues are nice, but basketball in football stadiums just isn't ideal.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Indy5 wrote:I personally enjoy the Minot Dome. As a basketball arena, it's every bit as good as Bismarck to me. Maybe Bismarck is little better in the food court, but that's not as huge of a deal to me. As for parking, it's not bad if you cleverly use Bishop Ryan and Minot State's campus. Those two are a tie for me, and then I rank the Alerus third with the Fargodome coming in last. Those venues are nice, but basketball in football stadiums just isn't ideal.

Every side seat and most of the end seats in the Civic Center are cushioned and have arm rest, non reserved in the Dome on the sides are all bench seating, seating not cool at the Dome.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls