2014-15 Polls

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2014-15 Polls

Postby east sider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:40 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
balla45 wrote:My thought. If I am a player who has put a lot of time in to become a good player, and I only get to play 20 minutes a night because we blow everyone out, I think that is unfair.

I agree. Some of these players work really hard all year to play. Do you think the scoring leaders in our basketball history all played in close games? Someone pointed out that this is high school not college, but we forget that these talented players are high school kids.

Believe it or not I agree with both of you most of the time, I just only comment when I disagree - which I do in this case.

I was fortunate enough to play on some good teams and handed a few teams over the years a bad loss. When we played a competitive team and it's a blowout, it usually isn't a blowout until late 3rd or into the 4th, so good players should still get there minutes. Then there are those cakewalks on the schedule, might be up by 20 in the 1st quarter. As a good player it starts out fun, and kind of gets boring quickly. Even worse, you may actually make your game worse by picking up bad habits that won't happen against good teams.

On the other aspect I remember being a young player dying to get in to play. If I work hard in practice getting my butt kicked by the upperclassmen I want some PT. And I guarantee that young kid will play way harder out there than the good player, even if the results aren't as good.

In all fairness you said "blow everyone out". Not many teams actually do this, so that makes the situation unique and really difficult. Maybe forfeit a few games and go play out of state? I don't know...
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby radball » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:12 pm

I am not allowed to post or contribute on www.northdakotapreps.com until I reveal which Division 1 basketball program I work for.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:39 pm

east sider wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
balla45 wrote:My thought. If I am a player who has put a lot of time in to become a good player, and I only get to play 20 minutes a night because we blow everyone out, I think that is unfair.

I agree. Some of these players work really hard all year to play. Do you think the scoring leaders in our basketball history all played in close games? Someone pointed out that this is high school not college, but we forget that these talented players are high school kids.

Believe it or not I agree with both of you most of the time, I just only comment when I disagree - which I do in this case.

I was fortunate enough to play on some good teams and handed a few teams over the years a bad loss. When we played a competitive team and it's a blowout, it usually isn't a blowout until late 3rd or into the 4th, so good players should still get there minutes. Then there are those cakewalks on the schedule, might be up by 20 in the 1st quarter. As a good player it starts out fun, and kind of gets boring quickly. Even worse, you may actually make your game worse by picking up bad habits that won't happen against good teams.

On the other aspect I remember being a young player dying to get in to play. If I work hard in practice getting my butt kicked by the upperclassmen I want some PT. And I guarantee that young kid will play way harder out there than the good player, even if the results aren't as good.

In all fairness you said "blow everyone out". Not many teams actually do this, so that makes the situation unique and really difficult. Maybe forfeit a few games and go play out of state? I don't know...

I don't think teams should try to blow everyone out, and I feel that coaches should make every effort to respect playing time of all the players. A player can play 6 quarters (3 halves in Class A) a night. If a coach lets the varsity bench play in the JV game, he has to make sure he watches play time in the Varsity game. I don't think a player should have to sit out so much when their teammates got to play quite a bit over the night. Also, I also remember how much it meant to get into a varsity game as a freshmen, but it meant a lot more when I got to play with the "star" players, and not my just my JV teammates that I just played with the game before.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:35 pm

To clarify, I am talking about the Bishop Ryan group. They probably play 5 competitive games a year, so I don't see a problem with Bohl, Stewart, and Wald playing in the 4th quarter, as they likely would almost never play in the second half if they only played when the game was still competitive. It may get boring to play in blow outs, but it is much more fun playing than watching from the bench, in my opinion.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:50 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
east sider wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

I don't think teams should try to blow everyone out, and I feel that coaches should make every effort to respect playing time of all the players. A player can play 6 quarters (3 halves in Class A) a night. If a coach lets the varsity bench play in the JV game, he has to make sure he watches play time in the Varsity game. I don't think a player should have to sit out so much when their teammates got to play quite a bit over the night. Also, I also remember how much it meant to get into a varsity game as a freshmen, but it meant a lot more when I got to play with the "star" players, and not my just my JV teammates that I just played with the game before.

That's a good point with the playing time limits. Also another very good point of how fun playing with the best players is. This convo sure is making me miss those days.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:08 pm

balla45 wrote:To clarify, I am talking about the Bishop Ryan group. They probably play 5 competitive games a year, so I don't see a problem with Bohl, Stewart, and Wald playing in the 4th quarter, as they likely would almost never play in the second half if they only played when the game was still competitive. It may get boring to play in blow outs, but it is much more fun playing than watching from the bench, in my opinion.

I had a good hunch you were talking about them and that is why I see your point. They literally can't find enough competition this year. I just hope that in these blowouts they aren't simply feeding Bohl and Stewart downlow for easy layups. Maybe working on a pull-up jumper, ball handling, etc.

Of course it is only my opinion that it is just as fun watching the young talent competing much harder than I would in the same situation, nervous as all get out. The awkwardness alone is worth the price of admission. Hopefully somebody does something unforgettably terrible, the whole bench gets a good laugh and you give them crap for awhile, but hey, they learn from it or take it in stride and laugh about it.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:43 pm

FINAL POLL
February 9th, 2015

1. Bishop Ryan (12) 18-1 120
2. Kindred 18-0 107
3. Lakota/Edmore 16-2 86
4. Thompson 16-2 84
5. Watford City 18-1 73
6. Fairmount/CT 18-1 57
7. Shiloh Christian 17-2 42
8. Carrington 16-2 35
9. Garrison 17-1 16
10. Dickinson Trinity 13-4 15
Others Receiving Votes: Parshall (15-4), Maple Valley (15-3), Kidder County (16-3).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby nolan4 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:23 pm

BigCat wrote:1 Fallyn Freije
2 Hannah Stewart
3 Gabbie Bohl
4 Rylee Nudell
5 Katie Mogen
6 Macey Kvilvang
Sorry, i couldnt go with 5..............

Had to to go with 6 to get the WC kid in the top 5? Obviously a wetern ND, WC supporter! Just a guess!

From Minot, but I seen Watford City play Bishop Ryan, she is a hardnosed players, who works hard on offense and defense, she is not flashy at all, but no one is going to out work her.........I really like how their coach gets them to plays so hard, i really enjoyed watching them play, they attacked Ryan instead of staying away from and hoping to keep it close, they played to win.......just not enuf firepower........but they will be a team to beat next year.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:38 pm

nolan4 wrote:
2 Hannah Stewart
3 Gabbie Bohl
4 Rylee Nudell
5 Katie Mogen
6 Macey Kvilvang

Had to to go with 6 to get the WC kid in the top 5? Obviously a wetern ND, WC supporter! Just a guess!

From Minot, but I seen Watford City play Bishop Ryan, she is a hardnosed players, who works hard on offense and defense, she is not flashy at all, but no one is going to out work her.........I really like how their coach gets them to plays so hard, i really enjoyed watching them play, they attacked Ryan instead of staying away from and hoping to keep it close, they played to win.......just not enuf firepower........but they will be a team to beat next year.

Nolan4 is right...Mogen is an incredibly hard worker and Watford City is really good. She derserves Top 10 consideration...but maybe not quite Top 5 (nothing against her though).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigCat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:58 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
nolan4 wrote:
2 Hannah Stewart
3 Gabbie Bohl
4 Rylee Nudell
5 Katie Mogen
6 Macey Kvilvang

Nolan4 is right...Mogen is an incredibly hard worker and Watford City is really good. She derserves Top 10 consideration...but maybe not quite Top 5 (nothing against her though).

I never questioned where Katie Mogen should land on the list. Good player and if you look at any of my posts, I love B.Ball, good players, and a team concept. I've never been negative unless I'm counter-punching. I have even tried to steer narrow minded people down a positive path to help them get the positive comments they were looking for. In my response to nolan4, I simply reacted to someone admitting they were new to the site, moving a team from #5 to #2 in their poll/opinion, moving Parshall ahead of Carrington, and touting Katie Mogen. My bad for trying to find out if we had another homer like RB who was going to push their team and the weakness of the east. I was wrong for questioning nolan4's intentions. Also, I wish the best for all of the good players, both listed and overlooked.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:08 pm

No problem BigCat. I also agree with nolan4...Watford City is probably #2 in my mind too, then Kindred #3...then a gap.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby nolan4 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:48 pm

BigCat wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
nolan4 wrote:
2 Hannah Stewart
3 Gabbie Bohl
4 Rylee Nudell
5 Katie Mogen
6 Macey Kvilvang

I never questioned where Katie Mogen should land on the list. Good player and if you look at any of my posts, I love B.Ball, good players, and a team concept. I've never been negative unless I'm counter-punching. I have even tried to steer narrow minded people down a positive path to help them get the positive comments they were looking for. In my response to nolan4, I simply reacted to someone admitting they were new to the site, moving a team from #5 to #2 in their poll/opinion, moving Parshall ahead of Carrington, and touting Katie Mogen. My bad for trying to find out if we had another homer like RB who was going to push their team and the weakness of the east. I was wrong for questioning nolan4's intentions. Also, I wish the best for all of the good players, both listed and overlooked.

I wish I had joined in December, i had or have alot of thoughts go thru my head this girls bball season, and even tho i said I thought of putting Parshall ahead of Carrington, i really dont think either team is that strong, but to not look bad LOL, i picked Carrington, because i think they are going to state out of their Region, and Parshall wont, IMO.........I am more than happy today to pick my Region champions, pretty confident in 5 or 6 of them, altho upsets happen all the time :)...........and i have no problem with anyone challenging my opinions, just remember , they are opinions :)

My Shoo ins: Kindred, Ryan, Watford City, Dickinson Trinity
Pretty confident: Thompson, Carrington, Shiloh Christian
And i think they will get in: Lakota Edmore, but liked what i seen of North Star, tho i seen they lost a couple they probably shouldnt have.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby triplebbb » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53 am

Chayanne Packineau from Parshall injured her knee against WC. Hasn't played since. If she is unfortunately not able to return for tournaments it would greatly reduce their chances.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:27 pm

triplebbb wrote:Chayanne Packineau from Parshall injured her knee against WC. Hasn't played since. If she is unfortunately not able to return for tournaments it would greatly reduce their chances.

Let's pray that its minor so she can finish strong given all shes accomplished this year. I want to see every competitive team at full strenght and ready as we head down the stretch.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:20 pm

My Shoo ins: Kindred, Ryan, Watford City, Dickinson Trinity
And i think they will get in: Lakota Edmore, but liked what i seen of North Star, tho i seen they lost a couple they probably shouldnt have.[/quote]

Nolan4...I like your list. Region 3 and 4 are really up for grabs though. In 4, I agree the favorite has to be Lakota, but North Star AND Benson County could get it done on any given night. Region 3 should be down to Carrington and Kidder County. They are definately the most talented teams in 3 but LaMoure could push either on a given night. There could also be a couple other "sleeper" teams in 3. Exciting times ahead.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Edger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:25 pm

BigCat wrote:
triplebbb wrote:Chayanne Packineau from Parshall injured her knee against WC. Hasn't played since. If she is unfortunately not able to return for tournaments it would greatly reduce their chances.

Let's pray that its minor so she can finish strong given all shes accomplished this year. I want to see every competitive team at full strenght and ready as we head down the stretch.

I heard she tore her ACL and won't be coming back. Such a sad end to Parshall's season. I am praying for her recovery.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby triplebbb » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:50 pm

just saw a post on social media that Packineau's knee is not an ACL nor meniscus and she is going to try to get ready for tournaments. Good new for Parshall. Hard to say how much it will affect her play.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Edger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:39 pm

triplebbb wrote:just saw a post on social media that Packineau's knee is not an ACL nor meniscus and she is going to try to get ready for tournaments. Good new for Parshall. Hard to say how much it will affect her play.

This is great news. Thanks for sharing it.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:36 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:My Shoo ins: Kindred, Ryan, Watford City, Dickinson Trinity
And i think they will get in: Lakota Edmore, but liked what i seen of North Star, tho i seen they lost a couple they probably shouldnt have.

Nolan4...I like your list. Region 3 and 4 are really up for grabs though. In 4, I agree the favorite has to be Lakota, but North Star AND Benson County could get it done on any given night. Region 3 should be down to Carrington and Kidder County. They are definately the most talented teams in 3 but LaMoure could push either on a given night. There could also be a couple other "sleeper" teams in 3. Exciting times ahead.[/quote]

I will be surprised if Carrington gets beat by anyone but Kidder Co and even then I think Carrington wins..........but I can see Kidder Co getting beat by another team in the Region.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:01 am

In region 4 I wouldn't be surprised to see some upsets in the first round of regional tournament especially with 2 and 3 seeds from district 7 and 8. If teams advance from districts like they are rated the matchups of Rolette and Harvey-wells county could easily go either way and Benson county vs Langdon matchup Langdon could pull upset there as well. Also Fourwinds could present problems for North star they have played at times against good teams very well. Lakota-Edmore could also struggle with Rolla too they have had tournament jitters in past in opening round of the regionals. But my guess it should be North star vs Lakota-Edmore final but I wouldn't be surprised by Benson County being in the final with Lakota=Edmore. Region 3 I think is Carrington and Kidder county final. I wouldn't be surprised also that we could get upset in region 2 I think Park River-FL is still going to push Thompson. Region 1 has history upsets of favorites and maybe Fairmont CT or Maple valley pull one out here. The rest like bishop Ryan, Watford city, Shiloh, and Dickinson trinity by there records should get to state.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nolan4 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:48 am

B-oldtimer wrote: I wouldn't be surprised also that we could get upset in region 2 I think Park River-FL is still going to push Thompson. Region 1 has history upsets of favorites and maybe Fairmont CT or Maple valley pull one out here. The rest like bishop Ryan, Watford city, Shiloh, and Dickinson trinity by there records should get to state.

It seems Park River maybe plays Jekyll and Hyde??? Inconsistent?? I dont know , i havnt seen them...............I dont see FCT coming out of Region 1, I think Maple Valley has an outside chance...........And if you say by there records, then you would be picking Garrison in Region 5, but i think you mean by their reputation, and solid resume :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:30 am

Here are my early picks:
1. Kindred (MV has a chance, but will need a big game from 2 other players.)
2. Park River-FL (Thompson is the favorite, but I think we haven't seen PR-FL play yet.)
3. Carrington
4. L-E (Toughest region to call, I think. North Star will push for it, but L-E has one of the best players in ND.)
5. Garrison (Shiloh is probably expected by most, but I feel that Garrison will pull thru.)
6. Ryan
7. Trinity
8. Watford City
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BigCat » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:14 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Here are my early picks:
2. Park River-FL (Thompson is the favorite, but I think we haven't seen PR-FL play yet.)
3. Carrington
4. L-E (Toughest region to call, I think. North Star will push for it, but L-E has one of the best players in ND.)
5. Garrison (Shiloh is probably expected by most, but I feel that Garrison will pull thru.)
6. Ryan
7. Trinity
8. Watford City

Good list and mine is close:
1. Kindred - (MV has a chance only if someone other than Rylee is able to help bring the ball up. Tough for one person to carry a team for 4 qtrs of run/press. Frankly, everyone will be gassed when they play Kindred)
2. PRFL - (Look for them to play like they hate to lose. Thompson will give them all they want)
3. Carrington
4. Lakota/Edmore (Has NS played to their potential yet given their physical size and talent?)
5. Shiloh
6. Ryan
7. Trinity
8. Watford
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:23 pm

BigCat wrote:
3. Carrington
6. Ryan
7. Trinity
8. Watford City

1. Kindred - (MV has a chance only if someone other than Rylee is able to help bring the ball up. Tough for one person to carry a team for 4 qtrs of run/press. Frankly, everyone will be gassed when they play Kindred)
2. PRFL - (Look for them to play like they hate to lose. Thompson will give them all they want)
3. Carrington
4. Lakota/Edmore (Has NS played to their potential yet given their physical size and talent?)
5. Shiloh
6. Ryan
7. Trinity
8. Watford

Since we are all making predictions, I also like BigCat's list except I'll swap out PRFL for Thompson.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BigCat » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:43 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:
BigCat wrote:
3. Carrington
6. Ryan
7. Trinity
8. Watford City

3. Carrington
5. Shiloh
6. Ryan
7. Trinity
8. Watford

Since we are all making predictions, I also like BigCat's list except I'll swap out PRFL for Thompson.

Yeah, region 2 is a bit of a toss up. I picked PRFL only because they responded well under pressure in the game that I saw. I didnt get that from TT in both games I witnessed. Still, either one could come out of there.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls