Transgendered Athletes

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Should gender for competition be based on genetic gender, or identified gender?

Genetic
80%
Identified
20%

Total votes : 10

Transgendered Athletes

Postby heimer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:30 am

The Grand Forks Herald reported yesterday that the SDHSAA is drafting a policy that would allow athletes to compete on the teams whose gender they identify with, rather than their genetic gender.

In other words, boys who think they are girls would get to play on the girls teams.

The MSHSL is considering the same plan. Todd Olson, the NDHSAA BOD president, says it is likely North Dakota will be considering such a plan in the future.

Anyone else think this is completely a$$inine, and that the NDHSAA should require you to compete based on your genetic gender?
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Transgendered Athletes

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:43 am

I would hope that they (NDHSAA) would make athletes compete in their genetic gender and not their chosen gender. I agree with Heimer, to allow a boy to play on a girl's team would be completely a$$inine, but nothing the NDHSAA does seems to surprise me anymore.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:44 pm

This is one of those things where the courts will get involved and they will rule in favor of participating depending on your chosen gender. There have already been test cases at the collegiate level and that is how they have ruled.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:37 pm

So, because the courts have ruled, even though the Supreme Court hasn't, we're supposed to roll over and play dead to this crap?

You certainly make the NDHSAA's job easy. To heck with standing up for the rights of every female athlete in the state. We'll stand up for the boy who will take a girls place on a team.

Grow a spine.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:55 am

Take it easy Heimer. I didn't say I agreed with the court rulings. I was just pointing out what the courts have said in previous cases.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby gotgame43 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:40 am

ummmm, what?????? This is the craziest thing I have heard in quite sometime and I watch the news every night. First and foremost, these are kids. Is it really in the best interest of our athletes, boys or girls, to be putting them in these situations? Why would you give this one athlete that CHOOSES to pretend they are something they are not, more rights than the 40 other teammates that will not be comfortable in this situation. These boys and/or girls know what gender they are from a very early age, if they seem to think that somewhere down the road they would like to try something new, shake things up a bit and pretend they are the opposite, don't penalize the kids that are comfortable in their skin and know right from wrong. Shame on SDHSAA, and NDHSAA if they pursue this.
gotgame43
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heimer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Here is the article so you can read it for yourself:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content ... r-policies

The more we teach our kids that everything is acceptable, the harder it will be on them when they enter the real world and find out it isn't. A kid got killed last week because she said "no" to a prom offer. How much do you want to bet the killer had never heard the word "no" to any request in his life?

Hinsa and others would roll over and play dead for their friends on the NDHSAA board. The rest of us shouldn't. Oppose this all the way to the Supreme Court. This is a fight worth fighting.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Heimer, I'll say it one more time: I did not say I agreed with the court rulings. I did not say anything about whether I would fight it or not. For the record, I am against biological males competing against females in a female sport because the playing field is not level.

However, we have other factors in this question. What is the testosterone level of the male in question? Is the male in question undergoing hormone therapy for one reason or another, reducing their testosterone levels and perhaps even increasing their estrogen levels? What about a female who identifies male, where should that person play? What about individuals who are born with sexual organs of both genders, where should they play?

I don't have the answers to these questions. I'm not that smart. What I do know is that this is not quite as black and white as we would like it to be.

Now Heimer, read my posts very carefully before you go putting words in my mouth.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby gotgame43 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Facts are Facts... a girl has female reproductive organs and a male has male reproductive organs.those things don't lie....its about choice. why are we making excuses for kids that know what gender they are, were born that way but yet not happy with it for whatever reason. maybe they didn't get held enough, or told they were loved, or read to at night, there are reasons why these kids want to change the way they live. What if a low testosterone boy that wants to be a girl has the same levels as a boy that knows he is a boy and acts as a boy and lives his life as a boy and loves football. then what, make that boy that likes to play football now play volleyball because he has low testosterone. seriously,....it's not rocket science its about politically correct so we don't hurt someone's feelings but who is there to fight for the kids that choose to live as there gender, a boy is a boy and a girl is a girl....its pretty simple stuff
gotgame43
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heimer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:52 am

"This is one of those things where the courts will get involved and they will rule in favor of participating depending on your chosen gender. There have already been test cases at the collegiate level and that is how they have ruled."

This was your first post. No mention of testosterone, estrogen, hermaphroditic condition, willingness to litigate.

Your post simply offers the path of least resistance, something the BOD knows all too well.

When drawn out, you're willing to throw around all sorts of outs, but you kept those very well tucked in before.

I have a feeling that you know who I am, although I don't know who you are. So, next time you see me, introduce yourself please.

Athletes play on their specific genders through all sorts of ailments, physical, mental, and emotional. Testosterone and estrogen do not replace the sex organs that are already there. What you have is what team you're on.

As far as hermaphrodites, they should be the only one's to choose, as they have, as I understand it, the genetic identity of both male and female.

Genetically, you are what you are, and that's the team you play for.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:48 am

Not a fourth class please..............
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:20 pm

heimer wrote:"This is one of those things where the courts will get involved and they will rule in favor of participating depending on your chosen gender. There have already been test cases at the collegiate level and that is how they have ruled."

This was your first post. No mention of testosterone, estrogen, hermaphroditic condition, willingness to litigate.

Your post simply offers the path of least resistance, something the BOD knows all too well.

When drawn out, you're willing to throw around all sorts of outs, but you kept those very well tucked in before.

I have a feeling that you know who I am, although I don't know who you are. So, next time you see me, introduce yourself please.

Athletes play on their specific genders through all sorts of ailments, physical, mental, and emotional. Testosterone and estrogen do not replace the sex organs that are already there. What you have is what team you're on.

As far as hermaphrodites, they should be the only one's to choose, as they have, as I understand it, the genetic identity of both male and female.

Genetically, you are what you are, and that's the team you play for.

Heimer, we do know each other. We met a couple of years ago at the Amateur baseball league meeting and we even played a game against you in Cooper, first game of the year with rain delays and water up the first base line. Think manager.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:15 pm

I thought that the article was interesting that they didn't address girls playing on boys teams. Can a girl play baseball instead of softball, wrestle instead of playing volleyball, or golf or play tennis during the boys season simply by declaring herself more identified as a boy?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 am

Scooby,

Girls can already wrestle in North Dakota. They can simply be on the team as girls, as there is no girls equivalent.

As far as playing baseball, I would think they could do that also, since softball probably would not be considered an equivalent sport, despite the similarities.

Golf or tennis with the boys instead the girls is an interesting issue. Not sure how it would go now. Even if a transgendered-friendly policy were in place, I would guess once a girl says she's a boy, she would have to be a boy all the way around.

That, by the way, would mean NO volleyball for a female identifying as a male. Males are not allowed to play volleyball in North Dakota.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:10 am

Girls are allowed to play high school baseball and football in North Dakota.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 am

A few years back, Kidder County had a young lady playing baseball for them and she was a pretty good ballplayer. Kidder County does not offer softball so she had no other options at the time.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Here is a small recap from the Bismarck Tribune.....

S.D. OKS POLICY FOR

TRANSGENDER STUDENTS

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) — The South Dakota board that governs activities for high school students has adopted policies on the eligibility of international and transgender students’ participation in sports and fine arts groups.

The High School Activities Association board met Wednesday. The transgender policy, previously discussed in detail, has passed with a 4-1 vote.

The policy requires schools to review requests by transgender students or their guardians and decide which team the student can participate on. A committee then will make the final ruling.

Another approved policy regulates participation of international students in sports and activities, in part to prevent overseas recruitment. The criteria require students be part of an approved international exchange program and possess a certain visa.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls