2013-14 All-State

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2013-14 All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:48 am

Indy5 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
Minnelli wrote:And another elephant in the room...an utter sham that Bishop Ryan's Julie Stewart was not coach of the year. She's gone undefeated for 2years, is tied for the consecutive wins record, has gone to state the past 3 years, and has only had 2 losses in the past 3 years. The other coaches in district 12 have never selected her as dist coach of the year; therefore her name is not forwarded to the region and state. What a joke!

I thought that too. I think she gets overlooked in fastpitch too. She has developed an outstanding team at a Class B school that competes for the Class A State Championship, and they give Coach of the Year to guy from Valley City.

To be fair, I believe last year was her first year as the softball coach, so she didn't develop the whole program, but still good on them for competing against class A schools.

In basketball, the only thing I can think is that you don't always see an award go to the coach of the best team. A lot of people say their job is "easy" when the team is so talented.

Minot Ryan became a top contender in Class A when a pitching coach and her daughter came in from Washington.

I will agree that most coaches don't get credit for establishing strong programs. In fact, they often get seriously criticized if they are tough. I think Amundson from Mandan only won 1 COY. I guess they just assumed that he was the only coach who had a chance to win it every year so they just waited.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cntrfthrs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:22 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
senditin wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:Its interesting that not one player from Shiloh made it. They were ranked in the top 5 all season, actually faced most of the top teams, and finished as State runner-up. They even have a U of Mary recruit, and one who was a unanimous All-Tournament pick.

You can't tell me Two Bears or Wilkinson from Shiloh aren't worthy of the All State team! Of course they're Native American so what do you expect?!

Oh please, to even think any of that comes in to play is ridiculous and a slap in the face to the media members who select the team.

funny how those who are not native, black, etc and who have never faced racism in their lives are the first to condemn those who have faced it all their lives...and yes. it DOES come into play...
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter

Postby cntrfthrs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 pm

The Schwab wrote:They also took 8th in the state tournament, so I guess if a team weren't to get a player on the all tourney team shouldn't it be the 8th place team?

yeah...surrrrreee.....what about those players whose teams didnt make the state tourney but who are named to the list????
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter

Postby eyeinthesky » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm

cntrfthrs wrote:
The Schwab wrote:They also took 8th in the state tournament, so I guess if a team weren't to get a player on the all tourney team shouldn't it be the 8th place team?

yeah...surrrrreee.....what about those players whose teams didnt make the state tourney but who are named to the list????

You are saying that players who's team didn't make it to the state tournament were on the all-tournament team?!? Please name these players...
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:46 pm

cntrfthrs wrote:

cntrfthrs - please realize what you are replying to. The Schwab was talking about the State Tourney All Tourney teams. I think you are confusing that with the All-State team.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby cntrfthrs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 pm

senditin wrote:
BB11 wrote:
senditin wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:Its interesting that not one player from Shiloh made it. They were ranked in the top 5 all season, actually faced most of the top teams, and finished as State runner-up. They even have a U of Mary recruit, and one who was a unanimous All-Tournament pick.

You can't tell me Two Bears or Wilkinson from Shiloh aren't worthy of the All State team! Of course they're Native American so what do you expect?!

You're right. I keep forgetting that Trayvon McKay from FW-M is of Irish and Scottish descent. :roll:

What do you need stats for? Anyone who knows basketball and especially someone who covers it should know a player when they see one. 2 from NS on the team? TwoBears and Wilkinson are a better tandem then those 2. People don't like when someone addresses the pink elephant in the room but that's just how I see it. I also feel New Town boys were slighted when not one player from that team, a team that came within an eyelash of beating Rugby in the first round, didn't get a player on the all tourney team. The only team who didn't get a player on the team.

Agree....maybe we SHOULD start talking about the elephant in the room...i played ball for over 40 years and experienced this kinda treatment first hand. here is a phrase we tell all our native kids who play competitive ball...'Remember,play your absolute best because you're playing against 8 not 5'....and those who are members here and are native will agree with me 100% becuz they've had to tell their kids the same thing. some poster on here tried saying because new town finished 8th they didn't deserve a player on the all state team. what about those girls from thompson and watford city who finished respectively 7th & 8th? the one from watford was named mogen i think and i forget the other one from thompson. apparently THEY deserve all state players but not shiloh or new town. and while i'm on WC and thompson...i said it b4 and will keep saying it. Neither team deserved to be in the state tourney. the Parshall lady braves had thompson on the ropes during the shootout on the prairie so what happens???? parshall's big girl cheyenne packineau on the bench mid-way thru the 2nd quarter with 4 fouls. AND WC drew some pretty good refs at the regional finals against parshall who had beaten them in their previous meetings. there was a reason watford finished 3 in the districts....now... have at me boys...i love it.
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter

Postby cntrfthrs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
cntrfthrs wrote:

cntrfthrs - please realize what you are replying to. The Schwab was talking about the State Tourney All Tourney teams. I think you are confusing that with the All-State team.

then your friend schwab got it wrong cuz senditin was talking about all state not all tourney....
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:38 am

senditin wrote:
BB11 wrote:
senditin wrote:

You're right. I keep forgetting that Trayvon McKay from FW-M is of Irish and Scottish descent. :roll:

What do you need stats for? Anyone who knows basketball and especially someone who covers it should know a player when they see one. 2 from NS on the team? TwoBears and Wilkinson are a better tandem then those 2. People don't like when someone addresses the pink elephant in the room but that's just how I see it. I also feel New Town boys were slighted when not one player from that team, a team that came within an eyelash of beating Rugby in the first round, didn't get a player on the all tourney team. The only team who didn't get a player on the team.

That right there was what I was replying too, and he was talking about the ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM!!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:45 am

cntrfthrs wrote:
senditin wrote:
BB11 wrote:
senditin wrote:

Agree....maybe we SHOULD start talking about the elephant in the room...i played ball for over 40 years and experienced this kinda treatment first hand. here is a phrase we tell all our native kids who play competitive ball...'Remember,play your absolute best because you're playing against 8 not 5'....and those who are members here and are native will agree with me 100% becuz they've had to tell their kids the same thing. some poster on here tried saying because new town finished 8th they didn't deserve a player on the all state team. what about those girls from thompson and watford city who finished respectively 7th & 8th? the one from watford was named mogen i think and i forget the other one from thompson. apparently THEY deserve all state players but not shiloh or new town. and while i'm on WC and thompson...i said it b4 and will keep saying it. Neither team deserved to be in the state tourney. the Parshall lady braves had thompson on the ropes during the shootout on the prairie so what happens???? parshall's big girl cheyenne packineau on the bench mid-way thru the 2nd quarter with 4 fouls. AND WC drew some pretty good refs at the regional finals against parshall who had beaten them in their previous meetings. there was a reason watford finished 3 in the districts....now... have at me boys...i love it.

1. The person never said that Newtown didn't deserve someone on the all tourney team, just that they finished eighth and if any team is left off, its usually the last place team. I really liked how the Grady boys played and am excited to watch them again next season, but I don't think either really had that huge game to put them on the list and maybe if there was only one instead of twin brothers it would have been an easier decision for those who voted (votes may have been split between the two).

2. How does Parshall almost beating Thompson at the start of the season have anything to do with Thompson making state and Parshall not? Every year in every class and season (boys or girls) there are teams that make state that probably wouldn't have if they played in another region.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 pm

cntrfthrs wrote:
senditin wrote:
BB11 wrote:
senditin wrote:

1) Never saw New Town play. Definitely thought one if not both girls from Shiloh should have made all-state. It seemed that the region players of the year were "grand fathered" on to the all state team. Not that they probably weren't deserving. Fact is I saw very few of them play.
2) I would hope that people aren't telling kids to expect 5 vsrs 8 because of race. Has it happened that way? Probably. I just think it sets a precedence for planting a seed in a kids mind that the world is and always will be against them.
3) I'm whiter than the snow that fell last night, so I guess some would say I have no business commenting on this. I played bball with/against several African Americans and Native Americans. Some are/were good friends. Some I couldn't stand. Just as I couldn't stand some of my white teammates/opponents. I'm sure some from all racial groups felt the same way about me.
4) I sat through a game many years ago....a native school vs. a white school. Close game. Horribly reffed. Two native american boys THREW THE BASKETBALL (yes threw it---wound up like it was a baseball and threw it) at two caucasion boys, hit them (once in the back, once in the face), NOTHING CALLED! No technical, no foul. Nothing. The refs saw it, grabbed the native boy by the jersey, told him to knock it off, no call. I've never heard a crowd yell at officials so loudly. What did most every member of the "Caucasian" crowd say after the game? "Reverse racism". Just saying. Food for thought. I'm sure its happened the other way around before as well.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jack8 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Just a thought for those that think there isnt racism.
Then why was everyone on this site saying they feel sorry for the new town girls last year at state. And this year for the boys at state. It is something to look up and think about before u talk cause both teams are Native American maybe?
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby eyeinthesky » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
cntrfthrs wrote:
senditin wrote:
BB11 wrote:
senditin wrote:

1) Never saw New Town play. Definitely thought one if not both girls from Shiloh should have made all-state. It seemed that the region players of the year were "grand fathered" on to the all state team. Not that they probably weren't deserving. Fact is I saw very few of them play.
2) I would hope that people aren't telling kids to expect 5 vsrs 8 because of race. Has it happened that way? Probably. I just think it sets a precedence for planting a seed in a kids mind that the world is and always will be against them.
3) I'm whiter than the snow that fell last night, so I guess some would say I have no business commenting on this. I played bball with/against several African Americans and Native Americans. Some are/were good friends. Some I couldn't stand. Just as I couldn't stand some of my white teammates/opponents. I'm sure some from all racial groups felt the same way about me.
4) I sat through a game many years ago....a native school vs. a white school. Close game. Horribly reffed. Two native american boys THREW THE BASKETBALL (yes threw it---wound up like it was a baseball and threw it) at two caucasion boys, hit them (once in the back, once in the face), NOTHING CALLED! No technical, no foul. Nothing. The refs saw it, grabbed the native boy by the jersey, told him to knock it off, no call. I've never heard a crowd yell at officials so loudly. What did most every member of the "Caucasian" crowd say after the game? "Reverse racism". Just saying. Food for thought. I'm sure its happened the other way around before as well.

Well stated Flying Wallenda.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Jack8 wrote:Just a thought for those that think there isnt racism.
Then why was everyone on this site saying they feel sorry for the new town girls last year at state. And this year for the boys at state. It is something to look up and think about before u talk cause both teams are Native American maybe?

I think every year people feel bad for the 8th place team. They go from accomplishing the biggest goal of making it to state to not winning a game and finishing last. It has to be disheartening for any team, but it happens to one each season. Just happens to be that New Town had this happen in each of the last two years. I don't think it speaks to any racism for people to feel that way.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:29 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

I think every year people feel bad for the 8th place team. They go from accomplishing the biggest goal of making it to state to not winning a game and finishing last. It has to be disheartening for any team, but it happens to one each season. Just happens to be that New Town had this happen in each of the last two years. I don't think it speaks to any racism for people to feel that way.

Both teams that played in the girls 7th place game were represented on the all-tourney team, and a coach who won 7th (but was ranked #2) got Coach of the Year. I think that game has some clout to recognize players.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Jack8 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Ndlionsfan show me where people say they feel sorry for cav last year in boys.
And watford city this year in girls both 8th place teams. But u can tell urself what ever u want that makes u sleep at nite. Haha
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Reasons I feel sorry for the New Town boys... I know a few players on the team, as the twins used to go to Mandan camp. They had a chance of playing in the championship bracket and ended up going 0-3. Nothing to do with race. And not that it should matter, but my skin is fairly dark.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby minotguy715 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:34 am

I cant stand the "poor me" people on here. The people who have that attitude, will always blame others for things not going the way they want.........it has happened forever and will always be that way.
minotguy715
NDPreps Reserve

Postby minotguy715 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:41 am

balla45 wrote:Reasons I feel sorry for the New Town boys... I know a few players on the team, as the twins used to go to Mandan camp. They had a chance of playing in the championship bracket and ended up going 0-3. Nothing to do with race. And not that it should matter, but my skin is fairly dark.

Jordan, I assume all the Native Americans think you are white, but if they knew , they might also know that you have probably gone thru some prejudice/racism in the past, and overcome that with hard work and not hatred......I see hatred or "poor me" attitudes on this.
minotguy715
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:16 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Both teams that played in the girls 7th place game were represented on the all-tourney team, and a coach who won 7th (but was ranked #2) got Coach of the Year. I think that game has some clout to recognize players.

You have to realize that different groups of people select the all-tournament team, the all-state team, and the coach of the year so you can't compare each award.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Browner » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:32 am

Question: Does anyone know why All Class B and Class A Boys and Girls whether it be regional or state tournament time, no longer allow the student cheering section to stand underneath the basket? RACISM. If you watched the games at the state tourney or on TV this year, the students were mandated to sit on the bleachers behind the basket-not stand behind, beside, and around the basket like previous years. WHY? When the New Town girls played in the state tournament last year 2013, Benson County students in particular stood 5 feet from the out of bounds line and told the New Town team members to "go back to the rez" called them "Prairie N******". There was a lot more names called and things said. New Town team's host wrote a letter to the Fargo Dome staff and told them they need to change their ways and not allow this type of behavior. The team host also wrote a letter to the NDHSAA and asked why the officials did not blow their whistle and tell the Benson County students to either quiet down or leave. Was anything done by these officials? NO. The team host also went on to say that he was 30 feet away and could hear all of the racial remarks by the student cheering section and was very upset that nothing was done. So there is racial bias and anyone who says there is not is living in the 40's. DVR any state tournament game this year or watch the state tournament games next year-you will never ever see the student cheering section under the baskets anymore. Now you know the rest of the story (Paul Harvey voice)
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwarz"
Browner
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:24 am

I thought the rule about not being able to stand under or behind the baskets was to protect the players, referees and fans from getting hurt (players or refs running into fans, etc...). I actually like the rule but if the NDHSAA is serious about protecting the players and refs they should ban storming the court also. It will not surprise me to see someone get hurt by the stampeding fans and it almost cost Linton their trip to State this year. I highly doubt that racism had anything to do with banning fans from standing under or behind the baskets.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby senditin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Someone help me out here, I know I'm not the brightest guy in the world. In 2012, New town places 7th and no players on the all tourney team but the 8th place team has a player on the team. In 2013 they place last and no player on the team. In the 2014 state tourney, every team had a player chosen to the all tourney team. Hmmm. Also throw in the 2014 state boys tourney, NT places 8th and no players on all tourney. in both the 2012 an 2013 boys state tourney, all teams were represented on the all tourney team. Did NT urinate in someone's cornflakes? Help me out.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sniper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:23 pm

senditin wrote:Someone help me out here, I know I'm not the brightest guy in the world. In 2012, New town places 7th and no players on the all tourney team but the 8th place team has a player on the team. In 2013 they place last and no player on the team. In the 2014 state tourney, every team had a player chosen to the all tourney team. Hmmm. Also throw in the 2014 state boys tourney, NT places 8th and no players on all tourney. in both the 2012 an 2013 boys state tourney, all teams were represented on the all tourney team. Did NT urinate in someone's cornflakes? Help me out.

Who would you take off the boys state all tourney team and which NT player would you add?
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm

It has been stated many times that the Boys Class B State tourney is the premier athletic event in our state, and there has been a lot of discussion on the how difficult it is for teams to get there. A team qualifies for the premier event 3 years in a row, and doesn't get a single representative on the All-Tourney or All-State team? No matter what the reasoning is, it does sound like a team got overlooked.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Holmes40 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:42 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:The media vote is more a vote of players that gotten some recognition through the season not so much going all by statistics of each player. I am surprised that not one of Shiloh players didn't make the team and I am also surprised that Ronnigan girl Lakota-Edmore didn't make it either with her scoring her 2000 point and good run she had in tournaments getting to state. I also think a lot media looked at region senior athletes also for source of their choice. I can think of several other girls that could have been considered for the team that I have seen play this year. Several of these girls will be back next year so they may still get this honor.

I'm thinking that the fact that they were all some pretty controversial transfers worked against them.

Maybe the voters considered loyalty as a factor.

Plus these girls stats were down from previous years.
Holmes40
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Girls