2013-14 State Tourney

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State

Bishop Ryan
64%
Thompson
12%
Shiloh Christian
6%
Central Cass
6%
Beach
No votes
Kidder County
3%
Lakota/Edmore
9%
Watford City
No votes

Total votes : 33

Re: 2013-14 State Tourney

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Flip wrote:
radball wrote:they can limit the amount of enrollment to stay under the limit(pick and choose). Public schools don't have this advantage.

They can, but how many do this? How many private schools that compete in class B basketball are even close to the 325 cutoff?

NONE...no private school in Class B is above 200 in the HS.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby classB4ever » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:
radball wrote:they can limit the amount of enrollment to stay under the limit(pick and choose). Public schools don't have this advantage.

They can, but how many do this? How many private schools that compete in class B basketball are even close to the 325 cutoff?

Oak Grove website:
"At Oak Grove, class sizes are limited to ensure a quality classroom experience and individual attention – no one is ever lost in the crowd. The average classroom consists of 17 students (K-12) and Oak Grove’s overall student-to-teacher ratio is 12:1. The typical class size is 20 students. Oak Grove’s graduating class sizes are typically between 50-60 students, creating the small school feel in a large town. At the middle school level, grades consist of 40-45 students, promoting relationship-building and friendships."
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 pm

classB4ever wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Oak Grove website:
"At Oak Grove, class sizes are limited to ensure a quality classroom experience and individual attention – no one is ever lost in the crowd. The average classroom consists of 17 students (K-12) and Oak Grove’s overall student-to-teacher ratio is 12:1. The typical class size is 20 students. Oak Grove’s graduating class sizes are typically between 50-60 students, creating the small school feel in a large town. At the middle school level, grades consist of 40-45 students, promoting relationship-building and friendships."

Your bolded statement that you found was true about 5-10 years ago...which is why I wish they would update the site every year, but it does say typically 50-60; this just hasn't been the norm lately. Last year's graduating class was around 20 students, year before that was around 30.

This year's class sizes: Freshman - 44, Sophomore - 33, Junior - 34, Senior - 41 (approx. 150); Middle School numbers are also below what they have online (what you listed): 6th - 34, 7th & 8th - 33 (approx. 100). I may have missed a student or two in my numbers but they are very close.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby classB4ever » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Good info. Thought that seemed pretty high.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Holmes40 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Regarding the private schools in Class B:

In a way they are good for Class B.

The most talked about game in Class B history is Hillsboro vs. Epping. I think you need these David vs. Goliath matchups that these private schools help create. It's part of the rich tradition that is Class B basketball.

If the NDHSAA could tighten up the transfer rules, I think the sport would be even better.
Holmes40
NDPreps Rookie

Postby radball » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
radball wrote:Just a quick idea on a new rule regarding transfers: how about they have to set out out half of the regular season play schedule of any and all extra curricular activities(they can practice but not play in games or events) the first full year of transfer? Yes I know they still would have a advantage at state, but its a happy medium. Private schools would have to abide by this rule to, no exceptions. And I still believe private schools should be in the top class based on one reason, they can limit the amount of enrollment to stay under the limit(pick and choose). Public schools don't have this advantage.

I don't even think this is worth answering since you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Go read the NDHSAA rules first.

I should have made it more clear: a possible new rule, just trying to come up with ideas to fix a growing problem in high sports in general.
radball
NDPreps Starter

Postby kickinitoldschool » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:39 pm

radball wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
radball wrote:Just a quick idea on a new rule regarding transfers: how about they have to set out out half of the regular season play schedule of any and all extra curricular activities(they can practice but not play in games or events) the first full year of transfer? Yes I know they still would have a advantage at state, but its a happy medium. Private schools would have to abide by this rule to, no exceptions. And I still believe private schools should be in the top class based on one reason, they can limit the amount of enrollment to stay under the limit(pick and choose). Public schools don't have this advantage.

I don't even think this is worth answering since you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Go read the NDHSAA rules first.

I should have made it more clear: a possible new rule, just trying to come up with ideas to fix a growing problem in high sports in general.

The growing problem in high school sports in general is stemming from parents and their sense of entitlement for their children. What happened to being the best by beating the best? Private schools have been around a long time. There was not a lot of complaining occurring when these schools are unsuccessful, which if you look at the statistics, is most of the time. Let them have their success without whining about it....and if you want your local team to do better, get behind them in ways other than complaining. Many small class b towns are traveling to leagues once a week in the summer in larger communities, getting involved in AAU teams and going to camps. Do not belittle the hard work of these private school athletes because you don't choose this for your own children.
kickinitoldschool
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:09 pm

If you live in region 3, which private school do they have the choice to go to? or how about the thousands of athletes that can't afford it? It isn't a choice for most parents/kids.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby kickinitoldschool » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:46 am

Flip wrote:If you live in region 3, which private school do they have the choice to go to? or how about the thousands of athletes that can't afford it? It isn't a choice for most parents/kids.

I am sorry Flip, maybe I should have been clearer in my response. I was not inferring you should go to a private school but more so take the opportunities to improve basketball skills in towns that offer them during the summer. Being in region 3 you might be able to take advantage of some of the leagues, camps or AAU teams in Bismarck or Jamestown. They involve class a and class b schools alike. The girls who are succeeding in public and private schools are taking advantage of these opportunities even if they have to travel once a week. That being said I think the key is that the girls teams that are succeeding have a ball in their hands most of the year...even if it is practicing ball handling in their driveway.
kickinitoldschool
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:18 am

I am not referring to any one school specifically....I am referring to the demographics of our state

I look at it like this, and always have.....you have a school, you have students, how many students do you have? you open the door in the morning and close it in the evening...Oh, we only have 120 students and so and so has 220, Oh, how come we have to play them in sports? our school has a Basketball tradition, our school has a Football tradition, our school has a wrestling tradition, our school has all three....there is this private school in a city that competes with our school....they have more students!........there is this taxation process that helps fund the public school system, Oh, there is enough money here to keep all these schools open regardless of HOW MANY STUDENTS...Oh, we don't have enough to field a team, can we play sports with your school? but keep our school open....you have a school, you open the door in the morning and close it in the evening..

note: don't confuse sports with school
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Holmes40 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:55 am

kickinitoldschool wrote:
Flip wrote:If you live in region 3, which private school do they have the choice to go to? or how about the thousands of athletes that can't afford it? It isn't a choice for most parents/kids.

I am sorry Flip, maybe I should have been clearer in my response. I was not inferring you should go to a private school but more so take the opportunities to improve basketball skills in towns that offer them during the summer. Being in region 3 you might be able to take advantage of some of the leagues, camps or AAU teams in Bismarck or Jamestown. They involve class a and class b schools alike. The girls who are succeeding in public and private schools are taking advantage of these opportunities even if they have to travel once a week. That being said I think the key is that the girls teams that are succeeding have a ball in their hands most of the year...even if it is practicing ball handling in their driveway.

I would be careful with the AAU teams. That is an easy way to cause a divide in your home town team.
Holmes40
NDPreps Rookie

Postby gvmearees » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:34 am

Please explain why there would be a divide? Thanks
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Holmes40 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:20 am

gvmearees wrote:Please explain why there would be a divide? Thanks

Some kids don't have the talent or the $$$ to go on a traveling team. Jealousy and envy step in. Not all the time but some of the time.

Also, a kid goes and plays with all star teams and then the parents start to concoct a plan on how they can do it for real during the high school season. And with the lax transfer rules, they figure out a way to get it done.

Is it happening all over? No. But it is happening and it is bad for the sport and really sends these kids a bad message.

Lastly, I wouldn't totally dismiss traveling teams. If you had a player whose hometown team doesn't want to play during the summer, by all means, go find a team to play with.

But, I would advise a kid to always pick their hometown team over a group of all stars(if they were playing in a tournament on the same day). Try to have a cohesive team that wants to stick together.
Holmes40
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:57 am

In my short coaching experience I haven't noticed the AAU thing causing jealousy, but there are a million other things that cause it.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Holmes40 wrote:
gvmearees wrote:Please explain why there would be a divide? Thanks

Some kids don't have the talent or the $$$ to go on a traveling team. Jealousy and envy step in. Not all the time but some of the time.

Also, a kid goes and plays with all star teams and then the parents start to concoct a plan on how they can do it for real during the high school season. And with the lax transfer rules, they figure out a way to get it done.

Is it happening all over? No. But it is happening and it is bad for the sport and really sends these kids a bad message.

Lastly, I wouldn't totally dismiss traveling teams. If you had a player whose hometown team doesn't want to play during the summer, by all means, go find a team to play with.

But, I would advise a kid to always pick their hometown team over a group of all stars(if they were playing in a tournament on the same day). Try to have a cohesive team that wants to stick together.

If it is a team camp put on by the high school coach, I would advise that a player play with their team. If it is between playing for Phenom or Pro, or playing on a traveling team with a dad coaching, I would advise that an athlete plays for Phenom or Pro.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls