2013 Miss Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2013 Miss Basketball

Postby sportfan2007 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Century’s Larson, Grant County’s Bentz finalists for Miss Basketball

19 minutes ago • By Tribune Sports Staff
Hannah Larson of Century and Ashley Bentz of Grant County are among five finalists for the 2013 North Dakota Miss Basketball honor.

The award, given annually by the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association to the state’s best senior player, will be presented after the Class B girls basketball state tournament championship game Saturday night at the Fargodome.

Other finalists are Kyra Dewald of Jamestown, Kira Larson of Fargo North, and Taylor Henningsgard of Hillsboro-Central Valley.

Larson, a 6-foot forward, averaged 15.2 points, 11.5 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 2.9 blocks per game while leading Century to its second straight state championship. Last year, she was named the state tournament MVP and was a second-team all-state pick.

Larson, the Class A senior athlete of the year, scored 22 points and collected 16 rebounds in Century’s 73-39 state championship game victory over West Fargo last Saturday night.

Bentz is averaging 21 points, 10 rebounds, six assists and four steals for the Coyotes, who are playing in the Class B state tournament this week. Bentz is a two-time all-state selection. She was a first-team pick last year.

Dewald, a 5-5 guard, led all Class A scorers with a 21.5 points-per-game average. She also grabbed four rebounds, dished out 3.3 assists and made 3.3 steals per game. Dewald helped the Blue Jays to a fifth-place finish in the 2013 state tournament.

Kira Larson, a 6-3 forward, averaged 15.9 points, 14.7 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game.

Henningsgard, a 5-7 guard, sported averages of 14.2 points, four rebounds, 6.7 assists and 2.7 steals. She has signed a letter of intent to play at the University of Mary next year.
(www.bismarcktribune.com)
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2013 Miss Basketball

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:46 am

I'm surprised that Hannah Breske did not make the list. She is playing basketball at a D1 school next year (NDSU) and has led her team to 3 of the last 4 state tournaments (runner-ups first two years, this year TBD). The boys had a lot more than 5. Why not Hannah??
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am

I'm surprised that Hannah Breske did not make the list. She is playing basketball at a D1 school next year (NDSU)

I really like the way Hannah plays and even though I am a longs way from their district, I know she is a great ball player. I wish her luck at NDSU but fear that is too big of a jump for her.

Here is how our past Miss Basketballs have done.
2012- Holly Johnson, NDSU, doing well there, Class A
2011- Caitliin Farroh- played JV at Northern State, Class A, no longers plays
2010- Eli Lenz- I believe she plays and contributes at U of Mary
2009-Ali Collins, Class A, 1 year at a JUCO, plays and contributes at U of Mary
2008- Christine Miller, WSC and then onto Minot State
2007-Jessica Kielpinski, Class A, New Mexico, D1
2006-Rebecca Fiekert, Kansas, Left team after 1 year.

Hate to break the news but not 1 class B girl in that last has gone onto play D1 basketball. Even Shauna Long has limited time playing at Lamar.

I realize parents love the idea of their kid playing at NDSU or UND but we have to start getting realistic in this state.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby washed_up » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

Are you saying that Class B girls can't make it playing Division 1 ball?
washed_up
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:
ClassBEast wrote:
I'm surprised that Hannah Breske did not make the list. She is playing basketball at a D1 school next year (NDSU)

Hate to break the news but not 1 class B girl in that last has gone onto play D1 basketball. Even Shauna Long has limited time playing at Lamar.

1. Long's still playing D1 basketball...that kinda contradicts your first sentence there.

2. Don't have to be a major contributor scoring to be a D1 player...can easily move into a role situation (rebounding, passing).

3. I am also a little shocked that Breske didn't make the list...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Eli Benz started for Gustavus last season, I'm not sure what she's doing now.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:

I really like the way Hannah plays and even though I am a longs way from their district, I know she is a great ball player. I wish her luck at NDSU but fear that is too big of a jump for her.

I realize parents love the idea of their kid playing at NDSU or UND but we have to start getting realistic in this state.

The only thing that has to be realized by a stellar athletic Basketball player in Class B (not a parent) is that to get to where you wanna go (not your parent) is that you have to gauge yourself and prepare yourself to any one on the roster....no matter the school (or class) your coming from, the color of your skin... etc etc
If a Player knows (and they do) that the program, the competition, the environment is not going to excel them to the next level than they have to do something about it.........some of the biggest contributors throughout history of any college programs have been walk on's and transfers
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm

winner-within wrote:The only thing that has to be realized by a stellar athletic Basketball player in Class B (not a parent) is that to get to where you wanna go (not your parent) is that you have to gauge yourself and prepare yourself to any one on the roster....no matter the school (or class) your coming from, the color of your skin... etc etc
If a Player knows (and they do) that the program, the competition, the environment is not going to excel them to the next level than they have to do something about it.........some of the biggest contributors throughout history of any college programs have been walk on's and transfers

This makes no sense.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:52 pm

my apologies on Shauna Long. I thought Lamar was D2 for some reason. If you pull her statistics, she played only 5 minutes of the last game of the season which was a loss. Kind of sad if you ask me because she could have stayed here and we (ND) could have watched her play more than 5 minutes. There were plenty of her fans up here.

Flip, I concur. I have no idea what winner-within is saying in his post.

Facts are facts...I am not saying a Class B kid can't play D1 basketball but I believe there is enough evidence that tells a person that a Class B girl needs to go other routes to get to NDSU and UND. The fact is, D1 basketball is a huge leap from Class B basketball. There is only a handful of girls in this state who can make the D1JUCO level jump.

I don't post often, but most know I am a big D1 JUCO fan. Why? Because it gives a ND kid (boy or girl) 60 games that we (ND) get to watch our homegrown kids play. It gives that player 60 games to build themselves for the next level. It allows almost unlimited doors to open when a strong player starts at the JUCO and then is recruited beyond that. Case in point....WSC is currently at the national tournament in Salina Kansas (Go Lady Tetons). How many looks from 4 year schools are our girls getting right now? HUGE.

As I said before...I wish her the best, but it will struggle to hi heaven if this young lady's talent is wasted sitting on a bench for which she nevers see playing time for. On the other hand, if she attended a JUCO or even a VCSU we (ND) would get the opportunity to watch our homegrown kids a few more years.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:my apologies on Shauna Long. I thought Lamar was D2 for some reason. If you pull her statistics, she played only 5 minutes of the last game of the season which was a loss. Kind of sad if you ask me because she could have stayed here and we (ND) could have watched her play more than 5 minutes. There were plenty of her fans up here.

She played 12 minutes in a 22 point win last night over Presbyterian (WBI Tourney). She didn't score but she is playing.

http://www.womensbasketballinvitational ... racket.pdf
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bisonfan11 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Feikart played all 4 years.

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/w-bas ... cca00.html

I believe she went to Kansas as a walk-on. She just didn't see a whole lot of minutes.

This is a goofy topic. I don't think anyone expects us to produce a ton of NCAA D1 ball players. I believe the talent is cyclical.
Right now, our girls in our state are excelling a bit more in volleyball.
Katelyn Steffan (Dickinson)---played in NCAA tournaments at Colorado State
Mackenzie Hart (Langdon)--sees a lot of time at UND
Ronnie Munkeby (Lisbon)--starts for UND
Kira Larson (North)--onto Nebraska
Britta Hanson (Thompson)--big player during UND's transition
Emily Thompson (Carrington)--saw limited time as a freshman at UND
Kellie Schmit (Kindred)--scholarship player on her way to UND
Faith Dooley (Central Cass)--scholarship player on her way to UND
Justine stremick (Langdon)--played at Notre Dame
Briana Steemick (Langdon)--played at Army

UND has a program on the rise. Beat NDSU again this past fall and played Texas pretty tough early in the season. They return almost everyone on their team and their coach recruits ND kids with the expectation that they will produce for him.
Notice most of the kids on this list are Class B? What does that mean? Absolutely nothing--that the better players the last few years have come from Class B schools.

Give it a few years and I'm sure basketball will have a few more D1 players and probably volleyball will not.
bisonfan11
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportfan2007 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Feikart didn't walk on to Kansas...she was recruited while playing with ECI.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2213773I believe she had a wrist injury that hampered her college playing from what I heard. She played only three seasons with Kansas and then left to pursue her Masters degree
http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/feickert_rebecca00.html
Last edited by sportfan2007 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportfan2007 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:

Eli Benz is not at Umary....believe she went to a Minnesota D3 school.
Collins has had a fantastic career at Umary which she just finished up
Miller did not last at Minot State. She was on the roster for a few games at the beginning and disappeared...not sure what was up with that.
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:06 pm

sportfan2007 wrote:Eli Benz is not at Umary....believe she went to a Minnesota D3 school.
Collins has had a fantastic career at Umary which she just finished up
Miller did not last at Minot State. She was on the roster for a few games at the beginning and disappeared...not sure what was up with that.

Flip wrote:Eli Benz started for Gustavus last season, I'm not sure what she's doing now.

Gustavus is a d3 school in MN, saw her play Concordia last year, but she isn't on the roster this year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:36 pm

When Breske verballed to NDSU I thought they were making a mistake by offering her a scholarship and when I finally got the chance to see her season stats I still thought the same thing. In all seriousness there are probably 50-100 girls in the state of MN that put up 17 and 7. After watching her play I believe she'll be able to play there. I said a couple years in a post that she plays "like a guy." Well, she still does. Tall, can handle the ball and has a legit jump shot. Was very impressed with her.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:51 am

I wish her only the best, but she won't play at NDSU. She will red shirt and maybe sit on the bench but we will not see her play. She is a good ball player, shoots the ball well, dribbles well, but the level at NDSU is too big of a leap.

She is a perfect player to go onto a strong JUCO program where she could develop and grow.

Just MHO....
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Runninganalyzer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:52 am

I'm pretty sure NDSU just doesnt give out hefty scholarships to undeserving players and NDSU more than likely gets a lot of kids send them highlight tapes and what not to try and live out their dream at their local D1 college, when in this case all of us have seen her play and if u haven't you need to turn on your tv or something bc they way Hannah in this case can take control of a game single handidly bring her team back into contention when in a fairly deep hole is amazing and if u think u can do that go ahead try not many people can say they took control in a state 'ship game! I personally believe that Hannah will be a major contributor at NDSU in the future! JMHO
Runninganalyzer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Flip wrote:When Breske verballed to NDSU I thought they were making a mistake by offering her a scholarship and when I finally got the chance to see her season stats I still thought the same thing. In all seriousness there are probably 50-100 girls in the state of MN that put up 17 and 7. After watching her play I believe she'll be able to play there. I said a couple years in a post that she plays "like a guy." Well, she still does. Tall, can handle the ball and has a legit jump shot. Was very impressed with her.

Agree with everything. After watching her she plays very hard, actually jumps, has great length, and a very quick jump shot with good range. She will most likely red shirt and ride the bench for a year, but that isn't a big deal at that level. I see her being a major contributor in a few years.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby ambition13 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:33 pm

I think the reason Breske will succeed is mainly her athleticism. Its not too often that a girl is almost 6ft and can jump. It also looks like the game comes natural to her. The way she moves on the court she has a good understanding of whats going on and what needs to be done. Plus she can shoot lights out and dribble between the legs!
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Runninganalyzer wrote:I'm pretty sure NDSU just doesnt give out hefty scholarships to undeserving players and NDSU more than likely gets a lot of kids send them highlight tapes and what not to try and live out their dream at their local D1 college, when in this case all of us have seen her play and if u haven't you need to turn on your tv or something bc they way Hannah in this case can take control of a game single handidly bring her team back into contention when in a fairly deep hole is amazing and if u think u can do that go ahead try not many people can say they took control in a state 'ship game! I personally believe that Hannah will be a major contributor at NDSU in the future! JMHO

This isn't true. I don't follow the program that closely and I can think of 2 players in the last 4 years that never had a shot that were offered scholarships. This is part of the reason the program has fallen so far in the last few seasons.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Flip wrote:
Runninganalyzer wrote:I'm pretty sure NDSU just doesnt give out hefty scholarships to undeserving players and NDSU more than likely gets a lot of kids send them highlight tapes and what not to try and live out their dream at their local D1 college, when in this case all of us have seen her play and if u haven't you need to turn on your tv or something bc they way Hannah in this case can take control of a game single handidly bring her team back into contention when in a fairly deep hole is amazing and if u think u can do that go ahead try not many people can say they took control in a state 'ship game! I personally believe that Hannah will be a major contributor at NDSU in the future! JMHO

This isn't true. I don't follow the program that closely and I can think of 2 players in the last 4 years that never had a shot that were offered scholarships. This is part of the reason the program has fallen so far in the last few seasons.

I agree. A few years ago we had a pretty talented group of players that included Collins, Knife, Feeney, etc. and NDSU didn't look at any of them. Then they gave a player from South Dakota a full ride who couldn't even play her senior year in high school because of her knees along with a few other players that fell through.

Class B (and Class A in ND too) players generally struggle with the time committment required to play at the D1 level. Many of them have been starters since 9th grade, and have a tough time justifying putting in several hours a week without getting very much (if any) play time.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Makotifarmguy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Runninganalyzer: I don't need to turn a TV on. My wife and I have season tickets for Teton games. We also watch a few Minot state games, once in a while an LRSC game, and when possible games down in Mericopa/Phoenix. In some cases Breske wouldn't even start at some JUCO's. she might come off the bench but wouldn't start.

IMHO she red shirts for the first year and will either transfer or leave the program after she realizes the jump is too big.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Get real farmguy, not start at some JUCO's? I think the college game suits her talents better because she seems to play best when the game is in transition and not grinding out the shot clock. Almost all kids from ND are going to struggle at the higher level because they just get tested enough and that is really the case at the class B level. They need to get coached up and beefed up to play against a whole different level of talent. I hope they give her the time to grow at the next level and not throw her out to fast because she has to play. Another mistake people make is they discount how good the competition is at Minot, Valley, Jamestown and the rest of the small colleges. They main difference is size, guards at jamestown are 5-6 and the guards at NDSU are 5-10. When you put that length into ever position on the floor you really see the difference.
I can fry eggs but it doesn't make me a Chef so having season tickets to anything doesn't make one an expert. Most colleges coaches recruit on what they see the player becoming not what they can do for me next year. If you need freshman to come in at this level and play you are in trouble.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 am

Wolves, first, at no point in this thread do I consider myself an "expert". I referred to my history of watching ball because I believe I watch more ND college ball than most on this forum do. Second, it's my humble opinion and I have said above, I wish her only the best.

Guess we can always revisit this post a year or so from now. I will tell you this, if I am wrong, I will be happy that I was wrong.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby eyeinthesky » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:36 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:Wolves, first, at no point in this thread do I consider myself an "expert". I referred to my history of watching ball because I believe I watch more ND college ball than most on this forum do. Second, it's my humble opinion and I have said above, I wish her only the best.

Guess we can always revisit this post a year or so from now. I will tell you this, if I am wrong, I will be happy that I was wrong.

Makoti does have a pretty good grasp on small college stuff from watching his posts the last few years. I will say I think the Central Cass girl can play. I am not sure if she will be a "star" at NDSU, but if she gets stronger and improve a lot on defense she will get some playing time eventually.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls