Region 2 Tournament - Betty Engelstad Sioux Center (GF)

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2 Tournament - Betty Engelstad Sioux Center (GF)

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:45 am

55 points on 31 shots, that's pretty crazy
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:52 am

Go Tommies!!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Sorry I missed you Flip. I agree that Grafton couldn't execute on their keys, except for those last 2 minutes. What a wild finish!

Run, you and me is going to have words! Go Burros!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Grew up in Thompson when I was young...still know many people...still get my support (as long as they don't play OG :wink: )
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:34 pm

I picked the Burros over Grafton....How was Lori....Did she lose her voice???... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby PR24 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm

winner-within wrote:I picked the Burros over Grafton....How was Lori....Did she lose her voice???... :)

Didn't lose her voice when she was screaming at a couple of players on the bench. Pretty embarassing for her, the team, the school and town.
PR24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:20 pm

PR24 wrote:
winner-within wrote:I picked the Burros over Grafton....How was Lori....Did she lose her voice???... :)

Didn't lose her voice when she was screaming at a couple of players on the bench. Pretty embarassing for her, the team, the school and town.

Didn't make the game, because I wanted to see the Summit championship, but listened on the radio. Coach Seiben didn't coach her girls up to play in the half court enough this year. She went with the high pressure, transition game that won for her last year. But the problem was she didn't have the same horse power as last year. She should have spent more time during the season getting her girls ready for a half court game when the press didn't cut it. HCV and Thompson are both very good teams, and I think they just figured Grafton out.

As to your comment, why was it so embarrassing? Was it that over the top?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 am

Hinsa wrote:Sorry I missed you Flip. I agree that Grafton couldn't execute on their keys, except for those last 2 minutes. What a wild finish!

Well GL tonight to the Burros and Hinsa tonight. I'm off to watch the best team you guys played all season.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 am

Flip wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Sorry I missed you Flip. I agree that Grafton couldn't execute on their keys, except for those last 2 minutes. What a wild finish!

Well GL tonight to the Burros and Hinsa tonight. I'm off to watch the best team you guys played all season.

You must be going to see the Cougars. Yes, they are an awesome team.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 am

My guess as to the keys to Thompson vs. HCV:

Thompson:
1. DeMoe stays hot. When she is on it really stretches the HCV defense and Galegher (sp?) can go to work inside.
2. Tempo - keep the game a little more helter-skelter. That's where their speed shows.

HCV:
1. Rebound - HCV did a decent job against Grafton boxing out, that must continue
2. Tempo - keep the game at a moderate, patient pace. Use their half-court offensive skills to get Thompson in foul trouble.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby PR24 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:06 am

old#63 wrote:
PR24 wrote:

Didn't make the game, because I wanted to see the Summit championship, but listened on the radio. Coach Seiben didn't coach her girls up to play in the half court enough this year. She went with the high pressure, transition game that won for her last year. But the problem was she didn't have the same horse power as last year. She should have spent more time during the season getting her girls ready for a half court game when the press didn't cut it. HCV and Thompson are both very good teams, and I think they just figured Grafton out.

OLD #63 - I'll leave it at that - I wouldn't have made the comment if others hadn't said they witnessed the same thing. Everyone reads things differently so doesn't mean I am right in how I reacted to it.
PR24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:22 am

PR24 wrote:
old#63 wrote:
PR24 wrote:

OLD #63 - I'll leave it at that - I wouldn't have made the comment if others hadn't said they witnessed the same thing. Everyone reads things differently so doesn't mean I am right in how I reacted to it.

Ya, I did some visiting with some folks about what went down. My synopsis is that the reason coach was so vocal wasn't even related to basketball. Some issues came to a head that had been building for a while between team members that coach Seiben had to deal with. And having raised 3 teenage daughters myself, I can sympathize. Unfortunate that it was dealt with so publically, but as my grandmother used to say, "This too shall pass...." Good luck, Tommies. Do R2 proud.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby airmail » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:42 am

I suppose that's something we all forget about from time to time; these coaches have to deal with so much more than the game of basketball. From clashes from within the team, to parents, to pressure from the fans, etc - it's probably not a surprise that things can get a little vocal from time to time, unfortunate as it may be.

Regardless, a great effort by Grafton, HCV, and Thompson. Three excellent teams in our region! Hopefully Thompson can knock off New Town in the first round and represent us well!
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:30 pm

I think Thompson will go into that state tourney battle tested and ready to go. I can't imagine there was another region with 3 teams of the quality of Grafton, Thompson, and HCV. I look for Thompson to win that first round game to set up a rematch with Ryan in the semis.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Hinsa wrote:I think Thompson will go into that state tourney battle tested and ready to go. I can't imagine there was another region with 3 teams of the quality of Grafton, Thompson, and HCV. I look for Thompson to win that first round game to set up a rematch with Ryan in the semis.

Region 4 is very tough, but I agree Thompson has a good chance at getting by New Town.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:41 pm

packers21 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I think Thompson will go into that state tourney battle tested and ready to go. I can't imagine there was another region with 3 teams of the quality of Grafton, Thompson, and HCV. I look for Thompson to win that first round game to set up a rematch with Ryan in the semis.

Region 4 is very tough, but I agree Thompson has a good chance at getting by New Town.

No slam meant against any other regions, more a testament to how good I think the top 3 in Region 2 were this year.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls