2012-13 Region 2 Predictions

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2012-13 Region 2 Predictions

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:21 am

Region 2
Teams:
1. Hillsboro-Central Valley
2. Thompson
3. Grafton
4. Drayton-Valley-Edinburg
5. May-Port-CG
6. Midway-Minto
7. Larimore
8. Cavalier
9. Hatton-Northwood
10. Griggs County Central
11. Park River-FL
12. North Border
13. Dakota Prairie

Players to Watch (15-20 total):
Taylor Henningsgard (Hillsboro-CV)
Kenney Henningsgard (Hillsboro-CV)
Rachel Murphy (Hillsboro-CV)
McKenna DeMoe (Thompson)
Shannon Galegher (Thompson)
Karleigh Weber (Thompson)
Cassie Thompson (Grafton)
Allison Burns (Grafton)
Kadee Gullickson (D-V-E)
Kari Olson (D-V-E)
Sarah Lorenz (MPCG)
Kari Ust (MPCG)
Mackenzie Irwin (Midway-Minto)
Katie Berge (Larimore)
Leighanna Helgoe (Cavalier)
Darian Hedland (Hatton-Northwood)
Presley Paintner (Griggs Cty Central)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2012-13 Region 2 Predictions

Postby coach » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:22 am

After a few weeks in, does anybody wish to change their predictions of Region 2? Who's the team to beat right now? Who's under achieving at this point in the season?

Thompson has been hot beating Kindred in the Hillsboro/CV Shootout weekend. Larimore has gone from being seeded 7 to now receiving votes in the State Poll.

Let's hear some thoughts.
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 am

This is how they look right now. I think Grafton is the team to beat...but Thompson & H-CV are right on their heels. Larimore is looking good now...but they haven't played a solid team yet (IMO). M-M, PR-FL & D-VE are all even 2nd tier teams.

Teams:
1. Grafton
2. Thompson
3. Hillsboro-Central Valley
4. Larimore
5. Midway-Minto
6. Park River-FL
7. Drayton-Valley-Edinburg
8. May-Port-CG
9. Cavalier
10. Griggs County Central
11. North Border
12. Hatton-Northwood
13. Dakota Prairie
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Solid rankings Run. The top 3 are at one level, Larimore is kind of at a level of their own being the best of the rest, and then you get to the second tier where it's a jumble. I'd say the second tier is teams 5-8. Cavalier and Griggs aren't too far behind MPCG and then you've got another dropoff to the bottom 3.

Can't argue with any of your rankings here!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby coach » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:54 pm

A couple region 2 games coming across the GF Herald website....
Matchup between Park River FL vs Sacred Heart and a re-match of the Region 2 Champ game of 2012.

Looks like PR came up with a big win against a tough Sacred Heart team. Fontaine from PR scored 17..that's big for her and Porter also put up a good number.

The other game between Hillsboro-CV vs Grafton.
The Henningsgard girls are so tough and now look like they've got a big post player to battle around. How did Grafton handle the guard play? Any foul trouble? Henningsgard girls are so tough to defend by giving ball fakes and getting defenders in the air...

Region 2 continues to represent as one of the strongest regions in state.
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm

I was not at the Grafton-HCV game, but I was told that Homer, Jethro, and Homer Jr were the officials for the game in Grafton. Just what I was told...I thought it was pretty funny. :wink:
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Hinsa wrote:I was not at the Grafton-HCV game, but I was told that Homer, Jethro, and Homer Jr were the officials for the game in Grafton. Just what I was told...I thought it was pretty funny. :wink:

I watched the game and I'm not a Grafton fan at all, but HCV couldn't handle their pressure at all. Refs were the PR/Fl boys not going to name them, but didn't affect the game. It was over 5 mins into it. I expect it to be closer if they match up again. I think that HCV can play with them.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm

packers21 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I was not at the Grafton-HCV game, but I was told that Homer, Jethro, and Homer Jr were the officials for the game in Grafton. Just what I was told...I thought it was pretty funny. :wink:

I watched the game and I'm not a Grafton fan at all, but HCV couldn't handle their pressure. Refs were the PR/Fl boys not going to name them, but didn't affect the game. It was over 5 mins into it. I expect it to be closer if they match up again. I think that HCV can play with them.

Also Hinsa the game is on Webcast America, just search for either school. Not a bad girls game to watch at all!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

packers21 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I watched the game and I'm not a Grafton fan at all, but HCV couldn't handle their pressure. Refs were the PR/Fl boys not going to name them, but didn't affect the game. It was over 5 mins into it. I expect it to be closer if they match up again. I think that HCV can play with them.

Also Hinsa the game is on Webcast America, just search for either school. Not a bad girls game to watch at all!

Thanks for the tip Packers21! I'll give it a look.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Hinsa wrote:
packers21 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Packers21! I'll give it a look.

Yup, Anytime!!
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Wait a minute...this was a one-point game at halftime. Doesn't look like it was over 5 minutes into the game.

I agree, HCV didn't handle Grafton's pressure. I also see that Grafton had a tough time with HCV's pressure. Looks like these two could very well have another matchup down the road.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Hinsa wrote:Wait a minute...this was a one-point game at halftime. Doesn't look like it was over 5 minutes into the game.

I agree, HCV didn't handle Grafton's pressure. I also see that Grafton had a tough time with HCV's pressure. Looks like these two could very well have another matchup down the road.

I know, but did it every feel like Grafton was at all in danger of losing the game? Just one of those gut feelings that you get during games.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby old#63 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Hinsa wrote:Wait a minute...this was a one-point game at halftime. Doesn't look like it was over 5 minutes into the game.

Pretty sure Region 2 will come down to Grafton, HCV, or Thompson. Any of those 3 could win it. In this game, coach Sieben from Grafton looked like she is trying to work a longer bench into the game. That strategy sort of let HCV back into the game in the second quarter, but I think it helped down the stretch in the 4th. HCV looked a little gassed and Grafton's starters had better legs at the end of the game. One game, and I'm guessing they will meet up for real at regionals.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby PR24 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:28 pm

old#63 wrote:

Pretty sure Region 2 will come down to Grafton, HCV, or Thompson. Any of those 3 could win it. In this game, coach Sieben from Grafton looked like she is trying to work a longer bench into the game. That strategy sort of let HCV back into the game in the second quarter, but I think it helped down the stretch in the 4th. HCV looked a little gassed and Grafton's starters had better legs at the end of the game. One game, and I'm guessing they will meet up for real at regionals.

Old #63 you are right - Coach Sieben kept the game close by using the bench way too early - this game could have been a complete blowout and not even close. There will be games where Sieben can substitute in district play, but when you have the chance to bury a regional opponent and give them no hope, you need to do it. I agree it is a 3 horse race in the region. And now, CVH has hope.
PR24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 pm

PR24 wrote:
old#63 wrote:

Old #63 you are right - Coach Sieben kept the game close by using the bench way too early - this game could have been a complete blowout and not even close. There will be games where Sieben can substitute in district play, but when you have the chance to bury a regional opponent and give them no hope, you need to do it. I agree it is a 3 horse race in the region. And now, CVH has hope.

I didn't say I disagreed with coach Sieben. In fact, I agree with her trying to work a deep bench. And in my mind it paid off in the second half. Grafton had more legs than HCV down the stretch. If Grafton intends to play the kind of full court pressure defense that they do, those underclassmen need to get minutes throughout the whole game. I don't think coach used her bench too early. She is just playing an 8 girl team. Basically the same stategy that won a state tourney last year. Sub early, and keep your big guns fresh for the 4th quarter.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby coach » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Lots of region 2 activity this week -- what are your predictions and why for the following games?

EGF @ Grafton
Valley Edinburg @ Lagndon
Cavalier @ North Star

Hillsboro @ Mayport/C/G
Minto vs Park River

Park River @ Valley Edinburg
North Border @ Cavalier
Hatton-Northwood @ Thomspon
Larimore @ Grafton

Thompson @ Hillsboro/CV (Should be a great game!)
Minto @ Cavalier

Quite a few district 3 games -- important match ups for district 2
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:55 am

EGF @ Grafton - Grafton is due to lose one
Valley Edinburg @ Langdon - Close, but Langdon at home
Cavalier @ North Star - North Star by 15
Hillsboro @ Mayport/C/G - Blowout
Minto vs Park River - Close one
Park River @ Valley Edinburg V-E at home
North Border @ Cavalier Cav at home
Hatton-Northwood @ Thompson - Blowout
Larimore @ Grafton Blowout
Thompson @ Hillsboro/CV (Should be a great game!) - Good game but HCV doesn't seem to have a rhythm yet
Minto @ Cavalier - close game, but Minto won the first matchup
Last edited by old#63 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 pm

coach wrote:Lots of region 2 activity this week -- what are your predictions and why for the following games?

EGF @ Grafton Too much speed in Grafton
Valley Edinburg @ Lagndon
Cavalier @ North Star big time

Hillsboro-CV @ Mayport/C/G blowout
Minto vs Park River by 15

Park River @ Valley Edinburg
North Border @ Cavalier
Hatton-Northwood @ Thompson by 60
Larimore @ Grafton by 30

Thompson @ Hillsboro/CV (Should be a great game!) I think the Burros are ready to find that rhythm
Minto @ Cavalier

Quite a few district 3 games -- important match ups for district 2
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:13 pm

old#63 wrote:EGF @ Grafton - Grafton is due to lose one

Grafton will lose to a MN team, but it won't be to EGF it will be Crookston. Crookston is tough this year and will be for at least the next 2 years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 am

Flip wrote:
old#63 wrote:EGF @ Grafton - Grafton is due to lose one

Grafton will lose to a MN team, but it won't be to EGF it will be Crookston. Crookston is tough this year and will be for at least the next 2 years.

Well, you were right about the not losing to EGF part. You are probably right on the Crookston part too. :D
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby coach » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:18 am

More Region 2 action:

Hillsboro CV 62 MPCG 35 (thought this would be a closer game)
Midway Minto 60 Park River 39 (Helen Schuster dropping 21 and Irwin going for another 19)

Upcoming games:

Dakota Prairie @ #9 Hillsboro CV --- could possibly get to a 100 on this game
Hatton Northwood @ #4 Thomspon -- Another lopsided game in favor of Thompson
RV Larimore @ #2 Grafton -- Shouldn't me much of a game -- Larimores schedule is finally getting tough
Park River @ Drayton VE -- Is the Kari Olson girl back with the team yet? Gullickson has been strong for them -- Park Rivers Guards vs Drayton VE's Post players

North Border @ Cavalier -- Who knows?
MidwayMinto @ Warren Alverado Oslo -- If M-M play like they did last night could be a win for them

Thompson @ Hillsboro Central Valley -- This could be the game of the week -- lately CV has had Thompsons number -- will this continue?

Thoughts or predictions?

Who's the front runner right now?
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 am

coach wrote:More Region 2 action:

Hillsboro CV 62 MPCG 35 (thought this would be a closer game)
Midway Minto 60 Park River 39 (Helen Schuster dropping 21 and Irwin going for another 19)

Upcoming games:

Dakota Prairie @ #9 Hillsboro CV --- could possibly get to a 100 on this game
Hatton Northwood @ #4 Thomspon -- Another lopsided game in favor of Thompson
RV Larimore @ #2 Grafton -- Shouldn't me much of a game -- Larimores schedule is finally getting tough
Park River @ Drayton VE -- Is the Kari Olson girl back with the team yet? Gullickson has been strong for them -- Park Rivers Guards vs Drayton VE's Post players

North Border @ Cavalier -- Who knows?
MidwayMinto @ Warren Alverado Oslo -- If M-M play like they did last night could be a win for them

Thompson @ Hillsboro Central Valley -- This could be the game of the week -- lately CV has had Thompsons number -- will this continue?

Thoughts or predictions?

Who's the front runner right now?

CV's won about 7 or 8 straight against Thompson the last two years...will this continue with the addition of the Hillsboro girls? Should be a great game...I'm picking HCV close considering the game is at Hillsboro. Expect these teams to play 3 more times during the season.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05 am

District 4
Grafton

Everyone else. MM has a couple nice wins, PRFL can be tough, DVE is starting to get their guards back, Cavalier can be good if they slow the game down, NB has a really nice young team and will have good nice second half of the year they had a brutal shed to start.

District 3
1. HCV
1A. Thompson

Both of these teams can beat each other or Grafton on a good night.

3. Larimore

Everyone else

Front runner has to be Grafton, they are playing some great basketball right now. Picking up where they left off last year.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby coach » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Dakota Prairie 26 @ #9 Hillsboro-Central Valley 80 -- Dakota Prairie continues to take a beating,
Hatton Northwood 26 @ #4 Thompson 64 - Balanced scoring from Thompson is 4 girls in double digits
RV Larimore 41 @ #2 Grafton 53 -- Heard this was a bruiser of a game, Grafton still good enough to not play well and still win
PRFL 40 @ Drayton-VE 42 -- Barn burner of a game - I think PRFL will be the dark horse of their district
NorthBorder 55 @ Cavalier 49 -- Was surprised by this score. Cavalier must not have played well in 2nd quarter
Midway Minto 24 @ W-AO 59 -- Another surprise in this game. Earlier in the week Minto had one girl score 21 and now team only puts up 24?

Predictions for todays game between Hillsboro/Central Valley and Thompson?

Who's everybody putting their money on? I'm gonna go ahead and bet on Hillsboro Central Valley....thinking they've still got Thompson's number. Is this the first match up for them this season?
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 pm

coach wrote:Midway Minto 24 @ W-AO 59 -- Another surprise in this game. Earlier in the week Minto had one girl score 21 and now team only puts up 24?

Warren has a nice nucleus of girls that return from a team that went to state last year.

Who's everybody putting their money on? I'm gonna go ahead and bet on Hillsboro Central Valley....thinking they've still got Thompson's number. Is this the first match up for them this season?

This is the first meeting of the year. Thompson's lone loss was to #1 Minot Ryan. HCV has two losses one to #2 Grafton and the other to #10 Kindred. Thompson beat Kindred over x-mas break. If there was a line in Vegas, Thompson would be favored.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Girls