2012-13 Region 1 Predictions

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2012-13 Region 1 Predictions

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:13 am

Region 1
Teams:
1. Kindred
2. Central Cass
3. Maple Valley
4. Oak Grove
5. Northern Cass
6. North Sargent
7. Enderlin
8. Oakes
9. Lisbon
10. Milnor
11. Sargent Central
12. Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
13. Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah
14. Hankinson
15. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
16. Richland

Players to Watch (15-25 total):
Kellie Schmit (Kindred)
Casey Allmaras (Kindred)
Brooke Graff (Kindred)
Hannah Breske (Central Cass)
Faith Dooley (Central Cass)
Morgan Titus (Central Cass)
Rylee Nudell (Maple Valley)
Cassie Pautz (Maple Valley)
Tatum Holt (Oak Grove)
Rachel Osmundson (Oak Grove)
Hannah Kelley (Oak Grove)
Lexi Zieske (Northern Cass)
Paige Verwest (Northern Cass)
Whitney Ward (Northern Cass)
Chelsey Anderson (North Sargent)
Lakyn Sandness (North Sargent)
Krista Thielges (Enderlin)
Megan Johnson (Enderlin)
Nicole Warren (Oakes)
Miranda Ripplinger (Lisbon)
Karli Tompkins (Milnor)
Hannah Schlecht (Sargent Central)

note: District 2 is stacked just like it was in volleyball
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2012-13 Region 1 Predictions

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 am

I would say any of the top four teams in district 2 can go to state this year out of the region. If any of those teams can slow down Kindred and make them play half court, it will be a long year for Kindred. Oak Grove coach said in the paper that they are really athletic team and will be getting up and down the court. Central Cass still has Hanna playing and with a few really quick aggressive guards should be one of the top teams in state all year. Maple Valley has Riley but the rest of the kids just fit and they will be there in the end like they were last year. They just find a way to win.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 am

maddog1971 wrote:I would say any of the top four teams in district 2 can go to state this year out of the region. If any of those teams can slow down Kindred and make them play half court, it will be a long year for Kindred. Oak Grove coach said in the paper that they are really athletic team and will be getting up and down the court. Central Cass still has Hanna playing and with a few really quick aggressive guards should be one of the top teams in state all year. Maple Valley has Riley but the rest of the kids just fit and they will be there in the end like they were last year. They just find a way to win.

Don't overlook Northern Cass...If the ward girl recovers from her knee injury...they'll be right there too.
This is a really tough region to predict
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:10 am

Nope I agree totally but they let me down in VBall. I just don't think they will be deep enough once you get past the first five. But can they be in the top four... for sure.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby MNTwinsFan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 am

maddog1971 wrote:Nope I agree totally but they let me down in VBall. I just don't think they will be deep enough once you get past the first five. But can they be in the top four... for sure.

Is there a team in district 1 that can push for a regional championship or even get past the first round of regions this year? If so, who is that team?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 am

MNTwinsFan wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Nope I agree totally but they let me down in VBall. I just don't think they will be deep enough once you get past the first five. But can they be in the top four... for sure.

Is there a team in district 1 that can push for a regional championship or even get past the first round of regions this year? If so, who is that team?

Right now I would say no but I have not seen any games this year. The problem is right now that the teams in D2 are having travel teams, summer leagues and private lessons because how close they are to Fargo. The teams in D1 don't have the opportunities. They have good talent and good athletes but they don't have the access to all the strength and speed and other opportunities.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby MNTwinsFan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:

Right now I would say no but I have not seen any games this year. The problem is right now that the teams in D2 are having travel teams, summer leagues and private lessons because how close they are to Fargo. The teams in D1 don't have the opportunities. They have good talent and good athletes but they don't have the access to all the strength and speed and other opportunities.

Well, you haven't seen any games this year because the girls season opens up Friday. :D . I don't think location from Fargo is an advantage/excuse...it may be easier access but if a kid wants to access speed/strength they will find a way...JMHO.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:32 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:

Well, you haven't seen any games this year because the girls season opens up Friday. :D . I don't think location from Fargo is an advantage/excuse...it may be easier access but if a kid wants to access speed/strength they will find a way...JMHO.

Parents aren't going to drive their 6th grade kid up to Fargo 3 times a week from Lisbon for speed and strength or shooting camp at the basketball academy. But somebody from Oak Grove or CC can.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:35 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Right now I would say no but I have not seen any games this year. The problem is right now that the teams in D2 are having travel teams, summer leagues and private lessons because how close they are to Fargo. The teams in D1 don't have the opportunities. They have good talent and good athletes but they don't have the access to all the strength and speed and other opportunities.

Some of this is true. I think just about every team has access to a summer league and any town can have a traveling team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:

Parents aren't going to drive their 6th grade kid up to Fargo 3 times a week from Lisbon for speed and strength or shooting camp at the basketball academy. But somebody from Oak Grove or CC can.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If that was the case, District I would never compete because of their teams distances from Fargo.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby 14OldSchool » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:21 pm

I think the point here is this - if you want to get stronger and faster, you don't need somebody in Fargo (or Grand Forks, Bismarck, or Minot for that matter) at a special clinic telling you how to do it. If you want to get stronger and faster, you run sprints uphill, push a wagon around the yard, hit the weights, jump rope, get a weighted ball and throw it back and forth with your friend or off a wall, look online for exercises that will help you achieve your goals: there are literally hundreds of them on youtube.
If you want to improve your skills; do dribbling drills on gravel, Mican layups for 10 minutes, shoot 100 free throws, etc. Maybe even ask an expert (of which there seem to be an abundance of) for some advice. The NCAA has a site called Ihoops that has tons of drills and skill building ideas.
Then send a few texts or make some phone calls, & grab some team mates (maybe even some friends from different towns, graduates, older siblings, etc) and play some ball and have some fun.
And so concludes lesson #1. Please pay at the counter on your way out.
Also, it seems to me that Grafton's girls team was pretty good last year & according to Mapquest.com, Grafton is 124 miles from Fargo.
"You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Everyday between three and five." - Coach Norman Dale
14OldSchool
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:29 pm

14OldSchool wrote:I think the point here is this - if you want to get stronger and faster, you don't need somebody in Fargo (or Grand Forks, Bismarck, or Minot for that matter) at a special clinic telling you how to do it. If you want to get stronger and faster, you run sprints uphill, push a wagon around the yard, hit the weights, jump rope, get a weighted ball and throw it back and forth with your friend or off a wall, look online for exercises that will help you achieve your goals: there are literally hundreds of them on youtube.
If you want to improve your skills; do dribbling drills on gravel, Mican layups for 10 minutes, shoot 100 free throws, etc. Maybe even ask an expert (of which there seem to be an abundance of) for some advice. The NCAA has a site called Ihoops that has tons of drills and skill building ideas.
Then send a few texts or make some phone calls, & grab some team mates (maybe even some friends from different towns, graduates, older siblings, etc) and play some ball and have some fun.
Also, it seems to me that Grafton's girls team was pretty good last year & according to Mapquest.com, Grafton is 124 miles from Fargo.

One of the better posts I've read on this site!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Well... Grafton is not a small ND town.... IMO they should be AA division for basketball as well. Also with more kids you have more opportunities to compete and get better. Also Grafton is not in Region 1 last time I checked.
Kids today do not have the same drive to do well in sports unless something is organized for them. It is simple. I try to get my kids to get games in the driveway all the time..... it happened twice last year.....
How many small towns do you drive around and see kids riding bike or playing basketball at the park in some pick up games.... I don't.

Not saying there can not be a driven group of kids but as a whole with cell phones, laptops, internet and social media and 359 channels to watch...... they just don't go out and play unless you make them.

:cry:
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby wolves65 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Over the years the best kids after high school have come from District 1 on the girls side. Look at the girls from Milnor in the past and Lidgerwood/Wyndmere area. I agree with OldSchool all the way, the best kids are the ones that do the extra things on their own. The biggest reason for District 2 having its way with District 1 is numbers and success. When you win everyone wants to be on that team. Central Cass and Kindred are prime examples of this fact in vb and bb. Not long ago both teams weren't even making it out of districts and the numbers in the programs showed it. Now fast forward a few years and they have had success and look at the numbers of kids going out. Genetics don't hurt either, there have been some good atheletes at both schools in the past 4 years. The basketball academy is more for the parents who want their kids to be a good player IMO. I don't hear many 2-3 graders saying I need to go to Fargo and do the academy or speed and strength.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 am

Ok.... I was wrong... it has nothing to do with location but all about the effort of the kids in the program and possibly the parents an or coaches running the programs. It think that is more in line.
As far as the numbers...... I think you get those numbers in your program by motivated parents starting up travel ball programs.
AS far as this region goes... I believe OG and CC has the best basketball players. Kindred does not have great basketball players... they have great athletes that play basketball.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 pm

14OldSchool wrote:I think the point here is this - if you want to get stronger and faster, you don't need somebody in Fargo (or Grand Forks, Bismarck, or Minot for that matter) at a special clinic telling you how to do it. If you want to get stronger and faster, you run sprints uphill, push a wagon around the yard, hit the weights, jump rope, get a weighted ball and throw it back and forth with your friend or off a wall, look online for exercises that will help you achieve your goals: there are literally hundreds of them on youtube.

I can see both sides of this arguement. It is not doubt an advatage to be from OG, CC, or Kindred. Anyone who says otherwise is probably from OG, CC, or Kindred. The leagues and academies that these places have are good places for athletes to work on their skills and get some good sport specific training. Rural towns that are farther away from out larger cities definetly are at a disadvatage, but like oldschool said above is they can work on it on their own. Problem is 99% of them don't and would rather spend more time on video games, facebook or twitter.
Lastly using Grafton to support your point doesn't make much sense here. First this was about Region 1, ya Grafton is 125 miles from Fargo but its 40 miles from Grand Forks.
Grafton is the biggest town in its Region and is in Co-Oped. Finally Grafton has their own athletic trainer who kids can go to get extra training in a sports specific fields. Which most of the Grafton kids use and lots of the athletes from the surrounding smaller towns.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 14OldSchool » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm

This thread is severely off topic..Should have used New Town or Beach as the example of a school that made the state tourney who has a long drive to "advanced" training. I forget how much everyone thinks Grafton is the unstoppable Freddy Kruger of Class B. I am waving a white flag now...
On topic - I think N. Cass will make it hard for CC and Kindred to pull away in the district, all three are going to be tough.
"You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Everyday between three and five." - Coach Norman Dale
14OldSchool
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 pm

14OldSchool wrote:This thread is severely off topic..Should have used New Town or Beach as the example of a school that made the state tourney who has a long drive to "advanced" training. I forget how much everyone thinks Grafton is the unstoppable Freddy Kruger of Class B. I am waving a white flag now...
On topic - I think N. Cass will make it hard for CC and Kindred to pull away in the district, all three are going to be tough.

Yup, you probably should of!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 am

Everyone play for CC tonight?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:24 am

Oak Grove def. North Sargent 81-41
Thompson def. Central Cass 72-39
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:30 am

Flip wrote:Everyone play for CC tonight?

THOMPSON 72 CENTRAL CASS 39

Central Cass 16 7 9 7 — 39
Thompson 18 18 19 17 — 72

Central Cass — Abby Cramer 10, Dallas Goettle 8, Faith Dooley 11, Kirby Camas 2, Hannah Breske 7, Mercedes Sweep 1

Thompson — Samantha Hegg 8, Rebecca Cole 2, Bethany Ivesdal 6, Shaice Marx 5, Karleigh Weber 17, McKenna DeMoe 12, Shannon Galegher 16, Emily Overby 6

---no Tronson or Weber in the scoring column...otherwise everyone else seems to have played...maybe those two played and just didn't score.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ClassBEast » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:35 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:Everyone play for CC tonight?

THOMPSON 72 CENTRAL CASS 39

Central Cass 16 7 9 7 — 39
Thompson 18 18 19 17 — 72

Central Cass — Abby Cramer 10, Dallas Goettle 8, Faith Dooley 11, Kirby Camas 2, Hannah Breske 7, Mercedes Sweep 1

Thompson — Samantha Hegg 8, Rebecca Cole 2, Bethany Ivesdal 6, Shaice Marx 5, Karleigh Weber 17, McKenna DeMoe 12, Shannon Galegher 16, Emily Overby 6

---no Tronson or Weber in the scoring column...otherwise everyone else seems to have played...maybe those two played and just didn't score.

Morgan Titus is still out, but yes everyone played (Weber just the last minute... she won't get much playing time in close games). CC struggled breaking the press and got out-hustled. Thompson also shot a lot of freethrows and didn't miss many. They are a good team and CC has some work to do.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:27 am

How is Breske doing? I remember when she gave a verbal to NDSU their coach had said she improved a lot over the summer. What do her numbers look like early on?

Run, is there a site where a lot class B schools report their stats?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:38 am

no clue...some schools enter their stats on MaxPreps...but nowhere near all of them. Enderlin & OG do...I don't know of any others in Region 1
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

In Region 1, Maple Valley is a Class B gem. They are a tiny school that sits right in between two big schools like Valley City and Central Cass, and seem to always come up with something. They pretty much override all the excuses other schools have for not competing. Even during the years that they were really down, the parents were supporting the younger girls to eventually get the program back up. The boys program and their football program isn't much different.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Girls