All-State 2011-12

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All-State 2011-12

Postby Home » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:25 pm

old#63 wrote:
Home wrote:
old#63 wrote:I'm also quite sure that none of Grafton's players would trade a state championship trophy for any individual honor.

But, there are always things to consider. I think you can make the arguement for a player such as Gaustad from Grafton to be on the second team. She probably only averaged 20 minutes per game, because Grafton was so dominant in district play. Also, she was on such a balanced team in both scoring and rebounding.

But, I suppose that offsetting that, you can say she had the opportunity to score more because her teammates drew away some defense.

I'm sure a lot of girls from various teams around the state are in the same boat.

Bottom line, All-State is subjective. Congrats to all who made it.... a well deserved honor. But, for all the girls who are on it, there a just as many who could have been.

So you say that Gaustad could have on the second team but one sentence later you said that she was on a well balanced team. So why her and not any of the other starters? JW

All state to me is based on an entire body of work for the whole season (maybe even a whole career), and Gaustad had just a little better numbers, with basically the same playing time. Certainly, if I could put two on from Grafton, I'd put Hannah Thompson on as well. But Gaustad had a couple more points, a couple more rebounds, a couple more steals, and similar assists per game compared to Thompson. Close call, but I think you have to give the advantage to Gaustad. And DeSautel and Cassie Thompson from Grafton were very good players, but I don't think I would rate them above others already on the list. It's like choosing teams for a pickup game, which girl would you pick first. From Grafton's girls, I'd pick Gaustad. Somebody else might have a different idea. :)

But, Hannah had one heck of a state tourney! 8) It was nice to see her get MVP.

Should a point guard have close to the same stats as a forward????? I wouldn't think so. Since comparing stats....what is the difference between the two on turnover, free throws. Thompson's calmness during the game is worth a lot. She has a calm over her that not too many girls have. I'd pick Thompson for a point gaurd position and Gaustad for a forward. It's really hard to compare the two girls against each and I certainly don't its fair but since you started.
Home
NDPreps Rookie

Postby coolhandluke » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Home, at least someone finally gets it. We can always justify awards for our favorites. Gaustad has this, Thompson has that, Rosenau does this, just leave in what fits, leave out what doesn't, make your "stats" fit, to attempt to justify your opinions. We all do it. IMHO, I have not seen a finer, more consistent, team leading season out of a point guard than Thompson's this year. Not just state mind you, but the season. My opinion is just that though, an opinion. I really couldn't ever say I'd pick one Spoiler over another, that's how much of a team they were. This year's girls worked harder in the off-season and were more focused than ever before. I could go on and on (and usually do) but it's over for this year - Grafton won, many deserving girls got all-state, etc. etc. etc. Let's move on.
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Home wrote:
old#63 wrote:
Home wrote:
old#63 wrote:I'm also quite sure that none of Grafton's players would trade a state championship trophy for any individual honor.

But, there are always things to consider. I think you can make the arguement for a player such as Gaustad from Grafton to be on the second team. She probably only averaged 20 minutes per game, because Grafton was so dominant in district play. Also, she was on such a balanced team in both scoring and rebounding.

But, I suppose that offsetting that, you can say she had the opportunity to score more because her teammates drew away some defense.

I'm sure a lot of girls from various teams around the state are in the same boat.

Bottom line, All-State is subjective. Congrats to all who made it.... a well deserved honor. But, for all the girls who are on it, there a just as many who could have been.

So you say that Gaustad could have on the second team but one sentence later you said that she was on a well balanced team. So why her and not any of the other starters? JW

All state to me is based on an entire body of work for the whole season (maybe even a whole career), and Gaustad had just a little better numbers, with basically the same playing time. Certainly, if I could put two on from Grafton, I'd put Hannah Thompson on as well. But Gaustad had a couple more points, a couple more rebounds, a couple more steals, and similar assists per game compared to Thompson. Close call, but I think you have to give the advantage to Gaustad. And DeSautel and Cassie Thompson from Grafton were very good players, but I don't think I would rate them above others already on the list. It's like choosing teams for a pickup game, which girl would you pick first. From Grafton's girls, I'd pick Gaustad. Somebody else might have a different idea. :)

But, Hannah had one heck of a state tourney! 8) It was nice to see her get MVP.

Should a point guard have close to the same stats as a forward????? I wouldn't think so. Since comparing stats....what is the difference between the two on turnover, free throws. Thompson's calmness during the game is worth a lot. She has a calm over her that not too many girls have. I'd pick Thompson for a point gaurd position and Gaustad for a forward. It's really hard to compare the two girls against each and I certainly don't its fair but since you started.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. Obviously, Brooke, Hannah, and all the rest of Grafton's girls are great ball players, each with their own talents and strengths.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:05 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:First Team (tie between two players leads to 6 First-Teamers instead of 5)
Spanky Clayton (Washburn)
Olivia Johnson (Richland)
Kayln Schneider (Linton-HMB)
Ashley Bentz (Grant County)
Taylor Henningsgard (Central Valley)
Fallyn Freije (Lakota-Adams-Edmore)

Freije was first team all state 4 years in a row?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks. Good link.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls