Shot clock and 10 second call

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Shot clock and 10 second call

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:51 pm

How do people feel about making the boys and girls shot clock the same amount of time, and elminating the 10 second call in girl's basketball like the women's college game does?
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Re: Shot clock and 10 second call

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Kwoods wrote:How do people feel about making the boys and girls shot clock the same amount of time, and elminating the 10 second call in girl's basketball like the women's college game does?

I like having the 30 and 35 seconds like college does. And wish they would get rid of the 10 sec in girls.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:06 am

I'm back and forth about the 10 second call, a lot of teams I saw play this year did a lot of damage in their full-court press but it was more on steals and not 10 second call. I also feel teams would be more relaxed knowing they have a little more time to get the ball across half court and be a little more patient with the ball. I guess the other aspect is take all the time you want on the other end you still need to get down and score in 30 seconds. If the shot clock had more time than 30 seconds I would say keep the 10 second call but with having 30 seconds on the shot clock get rid of the call.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Keep it. The 10 second call is more like a 12-14 second call anyway. I saw many many times this year with 12-14 seconds off the shot clock and it not being called.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:30 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Keep it. The 10 second call is more like a 12-14 second call anyway. I saw many many times this year with 12-14 seconds off the shot clock and it not being called.

I noticed that many times as well this season, or the refs looking up at the shot clock while the team brought the ball up the floor relying on the shot clock instead of counting themselves. What do you think about them not counting and just looking at the shot clock count down??
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Kwoods wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Keep it. The 10 second call is more like a 12-14 second call anyway. I saw many many times this year with 12-14 seconds off the shot clock and it not being called.

I noticed that many times as well this season, or the refs looking up at the shot clock while the team brought the ball up the floor relying on the shot clock instead of counting themselves. What do you think about them not counting and just looking at the shot clock count down??

I was told you were not to follow the shot clock in the 10-second violation calls. Because there were so many people who started the shot clock at the wrong times after shots were made; it happened several times at the games I went to. Refs are still supposed to count those off and they are also to still show their count visibily for all to see.

Also just to note: refs looking at the shot clock means that they are probably missing something on the floor (foul, travel, etc.).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:37 pm

That is what I thought, they are not looking at anything else on the floor and turning your head for a brief moment you can miss a lot of things that happen on the floor.
Shot clock keeping I think will get better as class B officials get use to keeping it, but still not a good source to use when you are a official to keep the count. Thanks for the clarification on the count.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm

I do agree though...I think girls basketball in ND should get rid of the 10 second call with the 30 second shot clock. However, the problem would be that many of the refs in the state do both boys and girls BB and the changing of this rule could cause confusion and inconsistencies in the games.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Yes majority of the refs do both boys and girls and back to back nights even up to 4 nights a week. Easy to keep all the same but might help improve the women's game.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I do agree though...I think girls basketball in ND should get rid of the 10 second call with the 30 second shot clock. However, the problem would be that many of the refs in the state do both boys and girls BB and the changing of this rule could cause confusion and inconsistencies in the games.

meh...whenever I watch a college game I see a lot of the same officials that do HS games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls