Region Championships

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region Championships

Postby coach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:04 am

Who's likely to win the 8 region championships across the state?

Are there any teams with momentum carrying them into the big game to go to the even promised grounds of the State B?

Any Cinderella Stories?

Who's best teams left in the sweet 16?

What major upsets have come around in the region tournaments?
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Region Championships

Postby toughD » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:19 am

Carrington losing to Midkota has to be considered the upset of the year so far. I think that should give Midkota plenty of momentum into the Region 4 championship game, and they would qualify as a Cinderella if they win.

In Region 6, Rugby is a nice story after beating Velva in the Dist champ game and now advancing to the Regional Finals. That said, I think that Bishop Ryan still has to be the favorite. They beat Velva by 20 last night, and have been getting better all year. Should be a great game.
toughD
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:19 pm

toughD wrote:Carrington losing to Midkota has to be considered the upset of the year so far. I think that should give Midkota plenty of momentum into the Region 4 championship game, and they would qualify as a Cinderella if they win.
In Region 6, Rugby is a nice story after beating Velva in the Dist champ game and now advancing to the Regional Finals. That said, I think that Bishop Ryan still has to be the favorite. They beat Velva by 20 last night, and have been getting better all year. Should be a great game.

I don't think a 20-3 team (one that also qualified for state vb) would be considered a cindarella team. Yes, they knocked off the defending state champs who everyone thought was a shoe in to go back to state, but this team is no slouch. They are a very good team that may come out of one of the toughest regions this year. They, along with Lakota, Benson Co, and Langdon, are also a very young team and will be around for a few years. Region 4 is going to be fun to watch for the next 2-3 years.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gameplayer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
toughD wrote:Carrington losing to Midkota has to be considered the upset of the year so far. I think that should give Midkota plenty of momentum into the Region 4 championship game, and they would qualify as a Cinderella if they win.

I don't think a 20-3 team (one that also qualified for state vb) would be considered a cindarella team. Yes, they knocked off the defending state champs who everyone thought was a shoe in to go back to state, but this team is no slouch. They are a very good team that may come out of one of the toughest regions this year. They, along with Lakota, Benson Co, and Langdon, are also a very young team and will be around for a few years. Region 4 is going to be fun to watch for the next 2-3 years.

Along with L-A-E, Benson CO and Langdon you would have to include North Star and Rolla with some very good young talent. Carrington wont be all that bad either. Region 4 is tough the next few years.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby gameplayer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:28 pm

gameplayer wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Along with L-A-E, Benson CO and Langdon you would have to include North Star and Rolla with some very good young talent. Carrington wont be all that bad either. Region 4 is tough the next few years.

Forgot to add Midkota :oops: They wont be all that bad either since they return everyone!
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby classbball4ever » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 pm

I was at the Velva-BR game last night as well as their regular season match up. Although Ryan may have slightly improved through the year (and that's a very generous statement since they have not played any teams that challenge their offense), the fact that Velva's top 2 scorers (Newman and Keller) played injured was THE top factor in this game. Keller's first game back after a leg injury was Monday's Regional opener and Newman had a knee injury from last week, which greatly affected their inside defense. Keller had a great game considering this was only her second one after injury. If those both would have been at least at 80%, it would have been a different outcome. I don't like picking on refs, but so many obvious over-the-back calls from BR's inside girls, stiff arms down the floor, and blatent blocks (not screens) were just not called. And to the extreme of that, Velva would get called on just the slightest reach. Very inconsistent reffing last night. Tough luck for those girls. They are a great team. And their Aggie Nation (fan club) was top notch! Really got the fans on both sides of the aud going.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Rugby. They have a great coach who knows her players and their abilities and she knows how to win games. She's smart and the girls respect her. Rugby girls are one team that has been improving all year. Good luck to the Panthers. Hope they give Ryan a run.
classbball4ever
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 pm

coach wrote:Who's likely to win the 8 region championships across the state?

Are there any teams with momentum carrying them into the big game to go to the even promised grounds of the State B?

Any Cinderella Stories?

Who's best teams left in the sweet 16?

What major upsets have come around in the region tournaments?

Here are the Region Title Games (with final poll rankings):
Region 1: #5 Central Cass (22-2) vs. #2 Kindred (23-1)
Region 2: #3 Grafton (22-1) vs. #10 Central Valley (21-3)
Region 3: Linton-HMB (17-6) vs. Napoleon (17-6)
Region 4: RV Lakota-Adams-Edmore (20-4) vs. RV Midkota (20-3)
Region 5: #8 Grant County (22-1) vs. Shiloh Christian (18-6)
Region 6: #6 Bishop Ryan (23-1) vs. Rugby (14-10)
Region 7: #9 Beach (21-2) vs. Hazen (14-10)
Region 8: #4 New Town (23-0) vs. Parshall (18-6)

Hazen and Rugby's post season runs place them as the cinderella teams (IMO)

Major Upsets: Midkota defeating Carrington 49-46 has to be one of them...otherwise there haven't really been any yet.

Best Teams Left: There are plenty of good teams left...as you can see above 8 of the Top 10 from the past poll are left (Carrington and Velva being knocked out)

Some GREAT matchup set for Thursday night!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby coach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:36 pm

I saw that Carrington had lost. What happened there? Weren't they the clear cut #1 in state going into Districts and into Regionals? Were there any injuries or players that didn't play well or with foul trouble?
Rosenau must not have made plays and I remember Sheer being a lights out shooter.

Great for Midkota and Lakota A/E - two teams that are very young and athletic. That region will be fun to watch over the next couple years
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:50 pm

coach wrote:

I saw that Carrington had lost. What happened there? Weren't they the clear cut #1 in state going into Districts and into Regionals? Were there any injuries or players that didn't play well or with foul trouble?
Rosenau must not have made plays and I remember Sheer being a lights out shooter.

Great for Midkota and Lakota A/E - two teams that are very young and athletic. That region will be fun to watch over the next couple years

Posted in another thread:

NodakQ2 wrote:Carrington lead most of the game by 8 to 15 points with several chances to extend that lead. Very laxidazical with the lead. Thompson had 19 points the first half and picked up some quick fouls in the third quarter. SHe scored 4 points the second half. With 5 minutes to go in the third, Carrington was up 14. Lead cut to 8 at end of third quarter and the noose tightened. Carrington just lost it in the fourth quarter. When Thompson fouled out it was Kaos for the Cardinals. Carrington scored 4 points in the 4th quarter and missed some great looks. I've never seen this group rattled like they were in the 4th quarter last night and they have played in some big games. Appeared as though the pressure was too much.

Credit Midkota for not losing their heads and hitting some HUGE shots when they had to. In Thompson's defense, she really got robbed on a couple fouls but it shouldn't have mattered. Carrington cruised to a 29 point victory over Midkota a couple weeks ago but last night it was not to be.

Congrats to Midkota. Thursday night should be a great game between them and Lakota.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby cntrfthrs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 am

Parshall can be considered a cinderella team in region 8 and has the talent and size to beat new town. the P-town girls have played all year under the shadow of new towns undefeated season and that of a very strong watford city team. Their achilles heel tho is a too many turnovers and a tendency toward foul trouble, especially amongst the big girls. region 8 will be fun to watch since the strong teams are all young. new town plays i think 2 seniors, watford 1 and parshall 2. since i'm a parshall fan, my opinion is geared toward p-town. the smooth woods girl is a soph, the great little gaurd for parshall, the risan girl is only a freshman and the 6'1" hustler, cheyenne packineau is also a frosh. parshalls gonna make some noise up here for the next couple years...
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:44 pm

If Parshall can handle the ball pressure and pass against the press I see them knocking off the Eagles tonight. Look for the Lady Braves to make history and be the first girl's basketball team from Parshall to make it to the State Tournament. They are a very young team that has a bright future!!
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Region 1: Kindred def. Central Cass 57-51
Region 2: Grafton def. Central Valley 66-43
Region 3: Linton-HMB def. Napoleon 60-49
Region 4: Lakota-Adams-Edmore def. Midkota 52-41
Region 5: Shiloh Christian def. Grant County 46-35
Region 6: Bishop Ryan def. Rugby 57-36
Region 7: Beach def. Hazen 69-60
Region 8: New Town def. Parshall 59-44
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HometownHigh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:59 am

No close scores. Yawn. Maybe we should regulate this game further!
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:30 am

HometownHigh wrote:No close scores. Yawn. Maybe we should regulate this game further!

Many times the score doesn't tell the entire story of the game. Teams can still go on runs, good plays can be made. End of game situations like fouling, and putting in subs in the final minutes has a lot to do with the end box scores. Don't judge a game by a score if you haven't heard anything about the plays being made, and game strategies that were played out in the end.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:41 am

The Region 7 title game was very exciting. Beach didn't pull away until under a minute. Hazen lead most of the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby toughD » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 am

The Region 6 game was closer than the score indicated for the 1st three quarters. Rugby came out swinging and was ahead for a while in the 1st half. Ryan slowly chipped away and built a 9 point lead by the end of the 3rd qtr. In the 4th, Ryan found another gear, which has been their MO all season. They outscored Rugby 12-0 in the 4th. By that point, you could see Rugby was visibly tired and no longer able to match Ryan's intensity. Congrats to both teams. It was a hard fought, well played game by both sides.
toughD
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:39 am

Region 1 game was great. Close back and forth with the lead changing about on every time down the court. Kindred made so three throws at the end to win by 6
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:56 am

R2 score wasn't very close after about the halfway point, but credit Central Valley, they never gave up. Fun, well fought game the whole way. And anytime you get to see a bench player (Ally Burns for the Spoilers) come into the game and go 7 for 7 on three point shots, it's a fun night to be in the gym.

Grafton has a lot of weapons and they all seem to be loaded and ready to fire right now.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby scramblinfran » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Region 5 title game was interesting. After Grant County watched a 10 point lead early in the 2nd qtr turn into an 8 point deficit by halftime thanks to an 18-0 Shiloh run, they never really seemed to regain their composure. Shiloh outworked them on the glass and did a great job of harassing their 3 All-Region players (Bentz, Bentz, Werner). From midway thru the 3rd qtr Grant looked shell-shocked. Shiloh didn't play great on offense either, but when they did have their dry spells Grant was never able to string together a couple buckets to put some pressure back on Shiloh.
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby Browner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:46 pm

cntrfthrs wrote:Parshall can be considered a cinderella team in region 8 and has the talent and size to beat new town. the P-town girls have played all year under the shadow of new towns undefeated season and that of a very strong watford city team. Their achilles heel tho is a too many turnovers and a tendency toward foul trouble, especially amongst the big girls. region 8 will be fun to watch since the strong teams are all young. new town plays i think 2 seniors, watford 1 and parshall 2. since i'm a parshall fan, my opinion is geared toward p-town. the smooth woods girl is a soph, the great little gaurd for parshall, the risan girl is only a freshman and the 6'1" hustler, cheyenne packineau is also a frosh. parshalls gonna make some noise up here for the next couple years...

New Town plays no seniors. New Towns oldest player is 1 junior. They start a junior, 3 sophs and freshman. First people off the bench are 2 sophomores and 1 8th grader
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwarz"
Browner
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls