Region Tourney Predictions

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region Tourney Predictions

Postby Nemesis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Sounds like you need to get into coaching.[/quote]

I'd like to.
Last edited by Nemesis on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
NDPreps Starter

Postby Basketballfan25 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Just because you say it is respectful doesn't make it so. This is why so many coaches stop. It is easy to sit in the stands and make comments, but it is a different thing to show up everyday at practice, travel with the team, make game plans, watch film, etc.. As a former coach all I can say is: "Let the players play, let the coaches coach."
Basketballfan25
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Nemesis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Well okay, I understand I was blunt about it, but it was right after the game and I should've allowed myself some cool down before I posted. I'm not saying he's a terrible coach... all I'm saying is that the talent has been under-utilized. Of course, He is a main part of the reason they've won the championships in the districts and he is deserving of the coach of the year awards, but I think if the team is ever going to reach the next level in regionals that something has to be changed. This has gone on for four years now and this is the reason for my frustration. Nothing has been changed. Do you not agree that what I said is a how most teams win games?? Yes, you have to play team ball, but you have to let your talent shine. That's all i'm saying. No one has to misconstrue this any further and call this a direct attack on Herman. I knew it'd be controversial when I posted it, but I'm man enough to defend it for what it is.
Last edited by Nemesis on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
NDPreps Starter

Postby Basketballfan25 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 pm

That is fair. Trust me, if I said everything I feel sometimes after watching games I would be in the same boat. That is the biggest problem with forums...people can't read tone. I cannot comment anymore because I did not see the game or the team play this year.
Basketballfan25
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Region Title Games

Region 1: Central Cass (22-2) vs. Kindred (23-1)
Region 2: Grafton (22-1) vs. Central Valley (21-3)
Region 3: Linton-HMB (17-6) vs. Napoleon (17-6)
Region 4: Lakota-Adams-Edmore (20-4) vs. Midkota (20-3)
Region 5: Grant County (22-1) vs. Shiloh Christian (18-6)
Region 6: Bishop Ryan (23-1) vs. Rugby (14-10)
Region 7: Beach (21-2) vs. Hazen (14-10)
Region 8: New Town (23-0) vs. Parshall (18-6)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 am

Region 7: Beach (21-2) vs. TBD
Region 8: New Town (23-0) vs. TBD[/quote]

these are mine
Stab in the Dark......... :)
Big Doug and his Girls are going to be tough to beat!!!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Region 3: Linton-HMB (17-6) vs. Napoleon (17-6) **toss up**
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 pm

I like Winners picks...to a T.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bball4 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Nemesis wrote:Ellendale loses to South Border in the 1st round again. This is their third straight year going one and done in regionals under Coach Herman... Seems to me that he doesn't know how to utilize his own talent (which he has been blessed with for years now) It takes a team to win, but sometimes you gotta rely on your studs to take you the extra distance. I'll use this dynamic (Although I'm not directly comparing Napolean to Ellendale players) to illustrate my point. You know when Napolean comes at you that Sheridan, Jangula, and that point guard(can't remember name) are going to get their points. This is Nap's identity and they still manage to play great team ball. Ellendale has NO identity. There studs who, IMO, are/will be for the next two years, Bommersbach and Mertz. These two have been averaging maybe 8 shot attempts since Ellendale got into this funk toward the end of the season. I'm not saying they should be ball hogs, but they are the scorers and they need the ball in their hands and they need to put up those double figure shot attempts night in and night out if Ellendale wants to go far in the next couple years. If they do this, they will draw extra attention from defenders (like Sheridan and crew do) and then they can pass to the "role" players for the open buckets. This has got to be their identity if they want to win. I've seen too many "good" teams slip through Ellendale's fingers in the last couple years and this is my plea. You have to let your talent shine in big moments. It's about team ball, but it's also about knowing your role on the team. Herman and Fuller play great defense and Hack plays decent in the low post, but their roles should be primarily defense and hitting open shots off a pass from Mertz or Bommersbach. We'll see what next year brings us for Ellendale, but if this isn't done than we'll see another one and done at the region for Ellendale.

Is this a slam at Coach Herman? No. This is constructive criticism and me as a fan calling it like I see it. He may have all those district coach of the year awards and a couple district championships, but I'd take a trip to state for that any day. District 5 is weak. Ellendale has had more talent over the last couple year. They haven't won because of superb coaching. They've won mostly on talent alone. The coaching needs to come through for them to make it far in regionals. My advice, ride those studs into the postseason and give this team some identity!

Tried to keep scrolling, just couldn't. I completely disagree that THAT is Napoleon's identity. Their press is a HUGE part of their identity. I watch a LOT of D6 ball-- and they play more like a team than most. Those three can hit the outside shots-- but I would guess a lot of points are off layups (stealing off the press). If a player is wide open in her range- but Dewald is also open, I bet she'd shoot, not pass.

Two studs? I used to like to play and coach against teams with just two studs. Much easier than five. Suggesting that Fuller and Herman are there mainly for defense or when Bommersbach/Mertz pass it to them? I bet morale on a team like that would be awesome. I see a lot of potential in those kids-- more than just 2 of them...more than just for defense.

I agree that they need motivation into the post season...seemed like they peaked against Linton. Sometimes the best motivation comes from parents. You know, the ones who aren't greeting them at the door at the end of a game with "You need to shoot more."
I once heard the best place to coach is an orphanage.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Nemesis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Once again you twist my words and at the same time you try and put words into my mouth. I'm not a parent of any of these children so stop putting me in that stereotype and assuming I am. I think the whole Cardinal team has potential and I think they need to play defense as a team too obviously. Defense wins championships...I also think that that is part of Nap's identity too. I never said it wasn't.

I was speaking from more of an offensive perspective. That's complete crap if you think that the whole team is studs for Napolean. They all are great on defense, but they shine on offense because of the attention that is on Dewald and the other two double digit scorers. Guess who had two studs and made it all the way to the championship game in boys basketball? North Star. I'd like to see how you'd fair against them since you're so high and mighty when it comes to the game of basketball. Those two made their teammates shine by doing what I was thinking Ellendale should try. I just meant that if Mertz/Bommersbach were utilized effectively as scorers the team would actually function better because they would draw attention and be able to pass it off for easy scores. Can Herman score and can Fuller score? Yes. I think Fuller is a phenomenal player with great court vision. She should run the show and average high assists and I think Herman is a great spot up shooter... she can knock down shots. I don't know how assigning roles hurts morale. If everyone tries to be the go-to girl everything will get messed up. Who will take over in the clutch? Who will give them that score when they really need it? For Napolean it's Dewald most of the time. Obviously, if another player has been hot the whole game you let them give it a try, but that's knit-picking and it'll depend on the situation.

I NEVER EVER said they should be ball hogs and do all the work. The whole sophomore class is stacked with talent for Ellendale I'd just hate to see it wasted and they lose out in regionals the next two years. You're taking everything I said and twisting it which just makes you look foolish. I know the game too... you don't know everything and either do I, but I know for a fact that those girls were experiencing lack of chemistry throughout the post season.
Nemesis
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball4 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:57 pm

I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything nor am I suggesting that you don't either. Like you, I am entitled to my opinion.

I completely agree with the lack of chemistry in Ellendale. I could see it. I watched them at a summer league game, at the beginning of the year and then a lot of their post season games. I understand what you are saying.
Everyone knows that defense wins championships- but I am saying Napoleon's press is what they are known for. I would be interested to know how many points per game they average off of turn overs caused by the press. No, I don't think the entire Napoleon team has the athletic ability of Dewald. She is certainly a dynamic player - and I take no credit from her. She even plays a vital role in that press-- not just on the scoring end. I do think that Coach Lehr utilizes the athleticism very well. Their speed makes up for their lack of height (IMO). I am looking forward to their game tomorrow night.

I agree that the Sophomore class in Ellendale has a lot of talent. Do you mean that their offenses should focus more around Bommersbach and Mertz? I can easily see Fuller taking the point like her sister. Good court vision (racked up almost 500 assists I believe).

I think boys and girls basketball are difficult to compare, but if you want to, the LaMoure team from 1976 had more than 2 studs. Just a little devils advocate there.... They had 3 for sure (Haugen, Shockman & Thielges).

:D
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Nemesis » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:26 am

Okay glad to see we've both simmered down a bit and can discuss this the right way... I agree, that Dewald plays an important role in the press. That can't be denied and they are definitely known for their run and gun. Maybe a better way to say it would be that the offense should focus around Bommersbach and Mertz yes... I actually think they need to take a page out of the book from Napolean and press and run and gun because they will be lacking in size throughout their careers' unless someone taller and broader moves to Ellendale in the near future.

As I said, my initial post was right after the regional game and I hadn't cooled down so a lot of what I said was a direct cause of that. Not too mature on my part. Definitely could've been more clear and professional about what I said. I can't go back as far with my knowledge of teams with more than 2, but I'd even say the last Lamoure team to have three studs would've been when Ben Holen was a senior. It doesn't always have to be two either that is for sure, but I think the role of each "stud" has to be different. Last Ellendale team before this group you had Fuller as a point guard who could score (I see her younger sister being more of a true point guard) and you had Martin who was all around a good player. Now if Martin started taking on Fuller's role things would've got muddled and some chemistry would've been lost.

This is what I mean with Ellendale now. Roles need to be defined a little clearer on who does what in what situation. Not saying each player isn't as equally important to the team. Now, I think the coach has to make some adjustments to get his team (who has a lot of potential) motivated next season/post-season and clicking as a unit. I'm not there everyday so I don't know how that can be achieved next year, but I think clearly defined roles and each player knowing what the other will do wouldn't hurt the cause.
Nemesis
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball4 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:44 am

Nemesis wrote:Okay glad to see we've both simmered down a bit and can discuss this the right way... I agree, that Dewald plays an important role in the press. That can't be denied and they are definitely known for their run and gun. Maybe a better way to say it would be that the offense should focus around Bommersbach and Mertz yes... I actually think they need to take a page out of the book from Napolean and press and run and gun because they will be lacking in size throughout their careers' unless someone taller and broader moves to Ellendale in the near future.

As I said, my initial post was right after the regional game and I hadn't cooled down so a lot of what I said was a direct cause of that. Not too mature on my part. Definitely could've been more clear and professional about what I said. I can't go back as far with my knowledge of teams with more than 2, but I'd even say the last Lamoure team to have three studs would've been when Ben Holen was a senior. It doesn't always have to be two either that is for sure, but I think the role of each "stud" has to be different. Last Ellendale team before this group you had Fuller as a point guard who could score (I see her younger sister being more of a true point guard) and you had Martin who was all around a good player. Now if Martin started taking on Fuller's role things would've got muddled and some chemistry would've been lost.

This is what I mean with Ellendale now. Roles need to be defined a little clearer on who does what in what situation. Not saying each player isn't as equally important to the team. Now, I think the coach has to make some adjustments to get his team (who has a lot of potential) motivated next season/post-season and clicking as a unit. I'm not there everyday so I don't know how that can be achieved next year, but I think clearly defined roles and each player knowing what the other will do wouldn't hurt the cause.

Agree! I think defining roles is exactly what they need. I also think utilizing the shot clock to determine the shots would also help. I have seen a shot go up with 26 seconds on the shot clock-- a three pointer-- by a player that should maybe wait to take that shot until there are maybe 4 seconds left on the shot clock. Probably not the most positive comment-- but my opinion.
That LaMoure team with Ben Holen- also agree-- Watkins, Shockman- and I know there were a couple more above average.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby old#63 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 pm

old#63 wrote:I'll take

1. Central Cass
2. Grafton
3. Napoleon
4. Carrington
5. Grant County
6. Velva
7. Beach
8. New Town

I'll take Ryan and Lakota-A-E, since Carrington and Velva got beat.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby scramblinfran » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:50 pm

I will go with:

Central Cass
Grafton
Napoleon
Midkota
Shiloh
Ryan
Beach
Newtown
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby 121212 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Central Cass
Central Valley
Napoleon
Midkota
Shiloh
Bishop Ryan
Beach
New Town
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region Title Games

Region 1: Kindred (24-1) def. Central Cass (22-3) 57-51
Region 2: Grafton (23-1) def. Central Valley (21-4) 66-43
Region 3: Linton-HMB (18-6) def. Napoleon (17-7) 60-49
Region 4: Lakota-Adams-Edmore (21-4) def. Midkota (20-4) 52-41
Region 5: Shiloh Christian (19-6) def. Grant County (22-2) 46-35
Region 6: Bishop Ryan (24-1) def. Rugby (14-11) 57-36
Region 7: Beach (22-2) def. Hazen (14-11) 69-60
Region 8: New Town (24-0) def. Parshall (18-7) 59-44
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1: Central Cass (22-2) vs. Kindred (23-1)
Region 3: Linton-HMB (17-6) vs. Napoleon (17-6) **toss up**

Well 7-1 is a pretty solid record for Region Title night :D
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to Girls