Girls basketball interest

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Girls basketball interest

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 am

Is it me or is interest overall down on girls basketball. I don't see the posts like in the past like their have been and even the news papers and media haven't paid as much attention this year. I also wondering how attendance has been at various districts this year. Also local radio station did informal poll on various local
sports and Girls basketball was way at the bottom for sport to be watched. Like to hear some other opions
on this and if my observations are correct.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Girls basketball interest

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:17 am

I agree with you. Girls bball is below volleyball for spectator attendance and even participation.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby #10 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:25 am

Totally agree. Competition just isn't there, like it was 3-4 years ago. Last year after the state tournament, there were comments all over the airwaves about how the state tournament was one of the lowest scoring. When I go to games, all I see are turnovers and gyms less crowded than in the past.
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:27 am

In our area the attendance for GBB is way down. Even the District Tournament has not been well attended. As far as participation the numbers seem to be about the same as in years past considering a lot of the schools have a much smaller student population than they did a few years ago. (The girls know it too and wonder what they have to do to get the crowds the boys do.) I think having the seasons at the same time is killing GBB and really hasn't done enough for VB to justify the switch. (Just my opinion) I am interested in how the GBB State Tournament attendance is going to be. (Class B)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 am

By the time girls districts start, CC fans have already been to the civic center 6 times in 2 weeks for district and regional boys games. They have 3 more games (which is great - nobody's complaining) to go to this week for the boys. Understandably, people get tired of going to games and the post-season can get very expensive. Unfortunately, the girls get the short end of the stick. Hopefully there will be some more people at the district championship game tonight. However, if we end up in the regional championship game, I know some people will stay home just because Lisbon doesn't have a big enough gym to host that game, but that's another story...
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 am

I think it has to do with the fact that the seasons are running at the same time. Like it has been said... I am honestly sick of going to boys and girls games. You almost need to pick one to follow.
But if you team is good... fans will come. I was at the CC and Kindred girls game and that place was packed. Standing room only and CC gym is really big. The rivally games when you have two really good teams.... it will still pack the place. You will need to get there early tonight to get a seat....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 am

Everyone knows having the two season together has hurt girls bball attendance, but I think the switching of the boys/girls season has hurt it even more. Like sportsrube said, once the girls tournaments start the fans are wore out from the boys tournaments. I think switching the seasons back with girls first, and making some changes to the vball season to make the dates work, will benefit the girls attendance. Also, going to the super regional idea instead of districts then regions will cut down fan burnout in the postseason. But I don't even see girls bball going back to the fall like it was before because this is the way the colleges and every other state does it.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 am

The girls season needs to be run ahead of the boys. It kills attendance at girl's playoffs to run that season after the boys. NDHSAA needs to go back to the format where the girls season is always run ahead of the boys.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Everyone knows having the two season together has hurt girls bball attendance, but I think the switching of the boys/girls season has hurt it even more. Like sportsrube said, once the girls tournaments start the fans are wore out from the boys tournaments. I think switching the seasons back with girls first, and making some changes to the vball season to make the dates work, will benefit the girls attendance. Also, going to the super regional idea instead of districts then regions will cut down fan burnout in the postseason. But I don't even see girls bball going back to the fall like it was before because this is the way the colleges and every other state does it.

Totally agree!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 am

old#63 wrote:The girls season needs to be run ahead of the boys. It kills attendance at girl's playoffs to run that season after the boys. NDHSAA needs to go back to the format where the girls season is always run ahead of the boys.

Totally Agree!!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby MNTwinsFan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am

winner-within wrote:
old#63 wrote:The girls season needs to be run ahead of the boys. It kills attendance at girl's playoffs to run that season after the boys. NDHSAA needs to go back to the format where the girls season is always run ahead of the boys.

Totally Agree!!

I agree as well. I believe the only reason the NDHSAA was to "showcase" the State GBB Tournament. The State GBB tournament was so poorly attended they wanted to try and increase attendance (thus putting more money into the NDHSAA pocketbook). With the GBB season being the finale, that allows them to still keep the parade of champions in the final night which is now during the GBB state tourney which will obviously increase attendance for the final night anyways. I think it should go back to the way it was as well. The fact that some of the boys who were playing deep into the fb playoffs had the state championship on Saturday and start BB practice on Monday is ridiculous.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:11 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Everyone knows having the two season together has hurt girls bball attendance, but I think the switching of the boys/girls season has hurt it even more. Like sportsrube said, once the girls tournaments start the fans are wore out from the boys tournaments. I think switching the seasons back with girls first, and making some changes to the vball season to make the dates work, will benefit the girls attendance. Also, going to the super regional idea instead of districts then regions will cut down fan burnout in the postseason. But I don't even see girls bball going back to the fall like it was before because this is the way the colleges and every other state does it.

Is there any talk of this happening?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Flip wrote:

Is there any talk of this happening?

Not that I have heard.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls