2011-12 Wild Rice Conference Team

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2011-12 Wild Rice Conference Team

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Name (School) Grade All-Conf Years

Kellie Schmit (Kindred) Junior 2nd
Braidy Dahl (Kindred) Senior 3rd
Courtney Dixon (Central Cass) Senior 3rd
Hannah Breske (Central Cass) Junior 2nd
Riley Peterson (North Sargent) Senior 2nd
Chelsey Anderson (North Sargent) Sophomore 1st
Michaela Halvorson (Milnor) Senior 1st
Tatum Holt (Oak Grove) Sophomore 2nd
Rachel Osmundson (Oak Grove) Sophomore 1st
Olivia Johnson (Richland) Senior 5th
Chelsie Aker (Wyndmere-Lidgerwood) Senior 1st
Brenna Stein (Hankinson) Senior 1st
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2011-12 Wild Rice Conference Team

Postby StraightShooter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

So North Sargent and Oak Grove get the same number of players as Kindred (who's undefeated) and Central Cass (2 losses) both of whom have been ranked in state all year? Rachel Osmundson and Chelsey Anderson make it over girls like Bethany Voss (CC) and Casey Allmaras (Kindred). North Dakota should seriously just get rid of these all-district, all-conference, etc. teams. It's way too political and some of the best players never make it because all the teams need to be represented and coaches don't vote for more than 2 players from a team (for all-conference). It's an absolute joke.

Not taking anything away from these girls. Congrats on your accomplishment, but I just had to let off a little steam.

/rant
StraightShooter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nduser1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 am

StraighShooter,
Very well said. Very political.
nduser1
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 am

nduser1 wrote:StraighShooter,
Very well said. Very political.

I also agree. Any "All-Star" team should have 5 players w/ maybe 1 or 2 honorable mentions.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby childplease » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:00 pm

StraightShooter wrote:So North Sargent and Oak Grove get the same number of players as Kindred (who's undefeated) and Central Cass (2 losses) both of whom have been ranked in state all year? Rachel Osmundson and Chelsey Anderson make it over girls like Bethany Voss (CC) and Casey Allmaras (Kindred). North Dakota should seriously just get rid of these all-district, all-conference, etc. teams. It's way too political and some of the best players never make it because all the teams need to be represented and coaches don't vote for more than 2 players from a team (for all-conference). It's an absolute joke.

Not taking anything away from these girls. Congrats on your accomplishment, but I just had to let off a little steam.

/rant

StraightShooter,

I agree that the best are not always selected for these teams. I was once a player on good team loaded with weapons and many considered me a role player; however, those who truly knew our team understood that if I was on most other teams I would be considered a star and I did more for the team that met the eye. That being said good players must be able to sacrifice the good of the team for nominee teams that are based only on opinion. While Bethany Voss and Casey Allmaras are both very deserving players, Chelsey Anderson is not one that was voted on by mistake. She is dynamic and makes a lot of plays and is very deserving. Anyone who has watched her play understands how good she is. The main thing is for players not to put too much stock into not being listed. It is a good individual accomplishment though!
childplease
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Rules for the selection process for the Wild Rice Conference Team:

Coaches can nominate up to five of their players for all-conference consideration.
Coaches may vote for 12 players (however, none of their own players)
Votes are tabulated and a Top 15 will be selected to the all-conference team (however, their must be a 5 vote minimum to be selected to the team).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:49 pm

StraightShooter wrote:So North Sargent and Oak Grove get the same number of players as Kindred (who's undefeated) and Central Cass (2 losses) both of whom have been ranked in state all year? Rachel Osmundson and Chelsey Anderson make it over girls like Bethany Voss (CC) and Casey Allmaras (Kindred). North Dakota should seriously just get rid of these all-district, all-conference, etc. teams. It's way too political and some of the best players never make it because all the teams need to be represented and coaches don't vote for more than 2 players from a team (for all-conference). It's an absolute joke.

Rachel Osmundson was well deserving of the All-Conference nomination.

She was key to Oak Grove's defensive side of the game early in the year...and then her shooting came alive. Osmundson and Holt lit up the gym many nights with their outside shooting and great defensive plays.

Osmundson's Season Stats (minus the district tourney because they are not online yet):
12.9 ppg, 5.5 apg, 4.0 spg, 42% FG

Osmundson's Wild Rice Conference Game Stats:
14.3 ppg, 5.4 apg, 4.4 spg, 46% FG

Top Games for Osmundson:
vs. Maple Valley: 31 points (13-23 from the floor including 5-9 on 3-Pointers), 10 assists, 7 steals, 8 rebounds
vs. F-C-T 19 points (6-7 from the floor incl. 3-4 on 3-Pointers), 10 assists, 5 steals
@ Hankinson 15 points (6-11 from the floor incl. 1-3 on 3-Pointers), 8 assists, 10 steals
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby StraightShooter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:19 am

childplease wrote:

/rant

StraightShooter,

I agree that the best are not always selected for these teams. I was once a player on good team loaded with weapons and many considered me a role player; however, those who truly knew our team understood that if I was on most other teams I would be considered a star and I did more for the team that met the eye. That being said good players must be able to sacrifice the good of the team for nominee teams that are based only on opinion. While Bethany Voss and Casey Allmaras are both very deserving players, Chelsey Anderson is not one that was voted on by mistake. She is dynamic and makes a lot of plays and is very deserving. Anyone who has watched her play understands how good she is. The main thing is for players not to put too much stock into not being listed. It is a good individual accomplishment though!

If Player A, who is the 2nd/3rd option on a team that is ranked in state, is better than player B, who is the 1st/2nd option on a mediocre/lesser of a team, Player A should be selected to the all-conference team. This is especially true if their stats are very similar. It's that simple.
StraightShooter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby StraightShooter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:24 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

She was key to Oak Grove's defensive side of the game early in the year...and then her shooting came alive. Osmundson and Holt lit up the gym many nights with their outside shooting and great defensive plays.

Osmundson's Season Stats (minus the district tourney because they are not online yet):

Top Games for Osmundson:
vs. Maple Valley: 31 points (13-23 from the floor including 5-9 on 3-Pointers), 10 assists, 7 steals, 8 rebounds
vs. F-C-T 19 points (6-7 from the floor incl. 3-4 on 3-Pointers), 10 assists, 5 steals
@ Hankinson 15 points (6-11 from the floor incl. 1-3 on 3-Pointers), 8 assists, 10 steals

Those assists numbers are ridiculous. I'm sorry but there is no way someone who shoots 23 times in a HS game also has 10 assists unless OG's shooters were hitting shots at an insanely high rate. Oak Grove has been known for inflating their assists numbers in the past.
StraightShooter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:09 am

StraightShooter wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Top Games for Osmundson:

Those assists numbers are ridiculous. I'm sorry but there is no way someone who shoots 23 times in a HS game also has 10 assists unless OG's shooters were hitting shots at an insanely high rate. Oak Grove has been known for inflating their assists numbers in the past.

The final in that game was Oak Grove 79 Maple Valley 65...so yes it is definitely possible to take 23 shots and still get 10 assists in the game. Maple Valley started out chasing Holt...which led to Osmundson scoring often (along with the other girls). When Maple Valley stopped chasing Holt and started to key on Osmundson...that's when Osmundson's assists went up. Many of those steals that Osmundson came up with led to 2 on 1 break-aways. Could Osmundson had 40+ points that night...definitely! But she included her teammates on those breakaways and racked up the assists.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby colts » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:36 am

Sorry straightshooter, but I have to agree with run4fun. I agree that Voss and Allmaras are very good players, but it really comes down to the stats. If you look at Rachel Osmundson's season stats, they're pretty phenomenal. And, if you've ever watched her play a few games, you realize the stats don't lie. So yes, I give a shout-out to Voss and Allmaras for doing a great job, and I also congratulate Osmundson, because she's where she deserves to be. And no, I'm not an OG parent.... just an interested observer of the game.
colts
NDPreps Rookie

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:36 am

OG carries Polictical weight plain and simple. They got two girls on the all district team and are not even going to regionals? Come on.
Plain and simple the class of the region is Central Cass and Kindred. Anyone of eithers starting five should be on almost any all star team.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby childplease » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:01 am

/rant

If you think it's a joke and you want our nominee teams removed, why do you care so much? :wink:
childplease
NDPreps Reserve

Postby footballchicken » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:31 pm

what is the wild rice conference team anyway - pretty sure kids care about making all district, thats about it. JMO
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:58 pm

footballchicken wrote:what is the wild rice conference team anyway - pretty sure kids care about making all district, thats about it. JMO

Kids care about making this team too
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baloncesto » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
footballchicken wrote:what is the wild rice conference team anyway - pretty sure kids care about making all district, thats about it. JMO

Kids care about making this team too

as a former player i made the wild rice conference team, i agree with Run completely. I almost felt it was more of an honor seeing as how there are bigger schools in the conference than just district one and not as many people make it usually.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls