Did I read that right? Minot Ryan crossed the 100 pt mark?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Did I read that right? Minot Ryan crossed the 100 pt mar

Postby mags » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 pm

how can people say ryan frequently runs it up? if the region is down and they play a lot of bad teams they cant only play their starters for 2 quarters a night. and they have two 6'2" girls, so if they do miss they will get a put back layup if you dont box them out, so box them out.

ryans numbers in the program are down, which is what happens when your young girls are good - the older girls just quit cause they wouldnt get to play. therefore there is only like 10 on varisty and they do run out of quarters. plus they are a good team that didnt press and just played basketball and happened to score 100.

good for them, probably something those girls will remember forever.
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm

BS, you don't score 100 points in any game unless you are trying. Who cares really the coach is the one who allows it. I have seen enough hoops to know that if you are up by 50 you can call the dogs off if you want. Just don't try to defend it, like last season when Beach hung one on Ray and claimed they didn't run the score up but they had 100 at the end of the 3rd quarter. What goes around comes around.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby coach » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:34 pm

When it comes down to adding up actual game time minutes, you get a little more than 10 hours of game time in a 19 game season.

For teams that are far superior than their opposition and have a lop-sided score of 40 points in the first half, it is so unfair to short the starting players of their game time minutes and sit them on the bench for the rest of the game.

Add up the countless hours of practice during the season, amount of work done pre-season during the school year and post-season during the school year and not to mention the number of individual player camps and team camps the players will attend add up to far outweigh the hours of game time minutes that they can play. With that being said, those girls/guys have earned the right to be on the court and playing even though there is a lop-sided game. Don't penalize the players and more specifically the teams that put the time in to be that good during the actual season.

It you don't like it, then get better. Put in more time into the game.

"I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don't do things half-heartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect half-hearted results."
Michael Jordan

Now after that, of course there are times where certain players don't need to be on the court. If they are on the court, then use that time as more of a practice instead of pounding to run up the score. Many coaches (I say coaches for a reason) have different philosophies about this and may disagree but you still play to win the game, not to turn it into a leisure activity. Work the shot-clock and use your end of quarter/game players, work on different zones, approaches of defenses, making the 4th pass in an offense, getting a post touch and reposition for a kickout.
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby toughD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:04 pm

The one point not talked about on this thread is that Bishop Ryan is one of the best teams in the state, and Berthold's varsity is made up of a group of 8th & 9th graders who are not ready to play at this level yet. Their tallest girl is no where near 6 foot, and they've barely got enough players for a B squad. The score is not surprising when you've actually seen the difference in talent between these two teams.
toughD
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Girls