#3 Bishop Ryan @ RV Velva 1/23/12

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: #3 Bishop Ryan @ RV Velva 1/23/12

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:04 pm

You must work at NDHSAA, or how would you see such a letter? Now really, a coach wrote a letter like that. I think not.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby classbball4ever » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Okay, since I brought up the whole reffing issue, please let me clarify. I didn't say that Velva's loss had everything to do with poor reffing. My point was that it's hard for any team to build momentum if you don't know how close the refs are going to call contact. There were a lot of instances where BR got away with over-the-back calls and stiff arms that could have had them in bigger foul trouble early in the second half if the refs would have called them on it. That was my point, inconsistency. You can't allow one team to be more physical than the other. Velva did get by on some calls, but not many foul calls, more turnover calls like traveling and double dribble. Yes it is possible to play scrappy and not make contact; it's called good defense.

To address student body fan participation: Yes it does matter to those participating, their parents and their school to show good sportsmanship. The fans are an extension of the team on the floor. If you're representing your school by wearing their colors and cheering the team on, as a fan you have a responsibility to show good sportsmanship. I think a lot of people would agree.
Last edited by classbball4ever on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
classbball4ever
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classbball4ever » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm

EastBeast wrote:Well done GONDPREPS, it seems so easy for a parent, coach, or uneducated fan to blame everyone else for a loss. What a poor example for the players. I bet if you asked the girls who played in this game, they wouldn't blame anybody but themselves. Its hard to have injuries at the end of the year, but that's life. We all love watching kids play hard and with class, but don't tell them its the refs fault when you're sitting around the kitchen table, have some class and teach them whats right. Loosen up when it comes to kids cheering in the stands. What grade are you in? As far as the refs go, I think all of Velva has a problem with officials. I saw a letter written by a Velva coach to the NDHSAA that claimed to be getting picked on by all officials. I guess the excuses run downhill in Velva.

Let's be fair. I know some of the girls on the Velva team and spoke with one of them after that game. Their not sitting around the kitchen table feeling sorry for themselves and pointing fingers. They showed character after that game. One even shared a hug with a BR player in the hallway afterwards. That, my friend, is class! The Velva team own their part in this loss and they had a lot stacked up against them going into this game: losing their top scorer to injury and another starter coming back from injury, a press that wasn't consistently working for them all year (which I think comes down to the coach needing to make a change earlier in the season) and also wasn't effective in the 2nd half, AND the missed calls. Give those girls some credit. They know there is more to coming out of a game with a W than just missed ref calls. They are a great group of girls with a lot of respect for the game, each other, AND their opponents.
classbball4ever
NDPreps Reserve

Postby layup » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:16 pm

What the heck is a stiff arm. This isn't football. It's only a foul if you push off which I clearly saw the Velva guards doing consistently. So I guess the refs were consistent on that call or non call. The student sections were side by side and I am sure the banter went back and forth. These two schools have a big, healthy rivalry. Also, it is not like Velva cleared their bench at the end of the game. In my opinion, even though Ryan got a lead in the 3rd quarter it was not over until the last minute or so. Why is everbody so sensitive? The feminization of America?
layup
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Lumberjack » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:57 pm

I guess I would be questioning the NDHSAA official who received the "so-called letter from a coach". Wouldn't letters received about a matter be confidential? Certainly doesn't seem like one should be flashing it to others.
Lumberjack
NDPreps Rookie

Postby classbball4ever » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:59 pm

layup wrote:What the heck is a stiff arm. This isn't football. It's only a foul if you push off which I clearly saw the Velva guards doing consistently. So I guess the refs were consistent on that call or non call. The student sections were side by side and I am sure the banter went back and forth. These two schools have a big, healthy rivalry. Also, it is not like Velva cleared their bench at the end of the game. In my opinion, even though Ryan got a lead in the 3rd quarter it was not over until the last minute or so. Why is everbody so sensitive? The feminization of America?

Here is some clarity on the definition of a stiff-arm from yourdictionary.com:

transitive verb

to push away (an opponent) with one's arm out straight

Again, never said Velva didn't get away with any calls. Just inconsistent reffing.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Velva & BR have a "big, healthy rivalry." Any time a select few BR fans are involved, it's never healthy. They have been known for many years to taunt opposing team players. Just this past season I witnessed BR male students sitting a few rows behind opposing teams' bench during a girls game saying things about them and cursing, things that would make any adult woman uncomfortable. They had been asked to stop by a group of parents several times, and they didn't even flinch. Unfortunately, this is what BR is known for in the area. Even though not all of the fans may behave this way, it's the bad ones they remember. A healthy rivalry is one that shows respect and self-control, neither of which is displayed by this particular group of kids.

I don't consider pointing things out being sensitive, it's an observation.
classbball4ever
NDPreps Reserve

Postby toughD » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:59 pm

classbball4ever wrote:
layup wrote:What the heck is a stiff arm. This isn't football. It's only a foul if you push off which I clearly saw the Velva guards doing consistently. So I guess the refs were consistent on that call or non call. The student sections were side by side and I am sure the banter went back and forth. These two schools have a big, healthy rivalry. Also, it is not like Velva cleared their bench at the end of the game. In my opinion, even though Ryan got a lead in the 3rd quarter it was not over until the last minute or so. Why is everbody so sensitive? The feminization of America?

Here is some clarity on the definition of a stiff-arm from yourdictionary.com:

transitive verb

to push away (an opponent) with one's arm out straight

Again, never said Velva didn't get away with any calls. Just inconsistent reffing.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Velva & BR have a "big, healthy rivalry." Any time a select few BR fans are involved, it's never healthy. They have been known for many years to taunt opposing team players. Just this past season I witnessed BR male students sitting a few rows behind opposing teams' bench during a girls game saying things about them and cursing, things that would make any adult woman uncomfortable. They had been asked to stop by a group of parents several times, and they didn't even flinch. Unfortunately, this is what BR is known for in the area. Even though not all of the fans may behave this way, it's the bad ones they remember. A healthy rivalry is one that shows respect and self-control, neither of which is displayed by this particular group of kids.

I don't consider pointing things out being sensitive, it's an observation.

I'm from that area, and I can confirm everything you just wrote. However, for the girls who will play college ball someday, this is good preparation. The things you hear out of college student sections would make a sailor blush. I'm not saying that it's OK, but that's just the way it is.
toughD
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mags » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:47 am

yes college student sections are very cruel at times. Its tough to go into another teams building in college and get a W. I dont understand why all the kids have to be nice to each other in high school, but then one year later it is ok to be mean, harsh, and loud in college and intimidate an opposing team? a friendly rivalry is not a great rivalry. (duke vs north carolina) (florida vs florida state) (ndsu vs und). ask many former players of high school athletics in the past 10 years and they will tell you they loved the oppertunity to go play @ Ryans gym, where the kids are yelling in your ear the whole game. They love the oppertunity to be able to shut them up by playing well and winning. maybe this is a little bit more of a boys basketball mindset though.
road games were always my favorite
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby toughD » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:52 am

mags wrote:yes college student sections are very cruel at times. Its tough to go into another teams building in college and get a W. I dont understand why all the kids have to be nice to each other in high school, but then one year later it is ok to be mean, harsh, and loud in college and intimidate an opposing team? a friendly rivalry is not a great rivalry. (duke vs north carolina) (florida vs florida state) (ndsu vs und). ask many former players of high school athletics in the past 10 years and they will tell you they loved the oppertunity to go play @ Ryans gym, where the kids are yelling in your ear the whole game. They love the oppertunity to be able to shut them up by playing well and winning. maybe this is a little bit more of a boys basketball mindset though.
road games were always my favorite

You took the words right out of my mouth. No matter what level I played at, road wins were always the best wins. I can also say that, in both HS and college, I was able to play in front of home crowds that were some of the most energetic around.......but there's nothing more motivating than an opposing crowd getting in your ear.
toughD
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Girls