2011-2012 District 5

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2011-2012 District 5

Postby classbkillas » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:42 am

Thoughts on rankings for the district 5 teams this year.
classbkillas
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby cuzimawesome » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:45 am

1.BCN
2.PBK
3.LaMoure
4.Ellendale
5.Edgeley-Kulm
6.LMM
7.CP
cuzimawesome
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby classbkillas » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 am

My thoughts:

1. PBK - with Carlson and Beckley working together I think they can pull off a great district season.
2. BCN - BCN is a fairly decent team with Albrecht and Reimers.
3. Ellendale - They usually have a pretty good team, with young Fuller and Vance they should be a difficult team.
4. LMM - with Brenna Rodin handling the ball and her speed, they should be able to bring something nice.
5. Edgeley Kulm - Ost will be the one to stop for this team, also Erickson.
6. LaMoure - Lost Klever and Good to injuries... Klever main factor of their team.. might surprise everyone though.
7. CP - CP has potential.. if Spitzer's game is on at all times... they might surprise too.
classbkillas
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby bball4 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 pm

1. Ellendale or BCN
3. PBK
4. CP
5. LMM
6. LaMoure
7. E-K
Ellendale has some good experience in the 'ship...I think there is a talented bench behind those seasoned Seniors from last year & some of them got some good Varsity minutes. I believe I read their B squad also went undefeated-- and yes, I know that doesn't "matter"- but clearly they are bringing something up in the next few years if not this year. BCN should be tough and Ellendale has prevented them from being D. 5 champs the last 2 years (I think in the semis?) so they will be head hunting. PBK plays as a team well & good, experienced coaches (Carlson is a great athlete and Beckley played very well at times also). I wouldn't count LaMoure out-- those girls made tremendous improvements throughout the year (D5 coach of the year did an outstanding job). Losing those players will hurt (Klever and Good), but look for them to play solid, tough defense. I don't remember a lot of their other players.... I know E-K usually brings some pretty big numbers out, but I apologize- not a lot of knowledge of them. CP made some strides over the '10-'11 season. Spitzer is quick- she will return and lead the Firebirds. LMM will need the play maker. Rodin has the speed and agility but they seem to lack size (just like most of the D5 teams) :) .
Last edited by bball4 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby classbkillas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:58 am

Yes, Ellendale will be tough to beat. But really who do they have that has had alot of varsity experience and "championship" experience besides Vance? Do you really think CP will be over top of LMM and Lamoure? What experience do they really have playing besides Spitzer? After thinking about it, I think the districts is up to grabs by anyone. The one who wins it will be the one who wanted it most.
classbkillas
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby bball4 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:48 pm

classbkillas wrote:Yes, Ellendale will be tough to beat. But really who do they have that has had alot of varsity experience and "championship" experience besides Vance? Do you really think CP will be over top of LMM and Lamoure? What experience do they really have playing besides Spitzer? After thinking about it, I think the districts is up to grabs by anyone. The one who wins it will be the one who wanted it most.


You are probably right about LaMoure. I just put them there because they lost 2 big players...I hope to see them make the top 4.
Varsity experience isn't everything. It is just a guess. I do think Ellendale will have to work to find a good point guard-- Fuller was a very strong leader for them. She will be tough to replace. The team with the most solid fundamentals and composure will suceed in this district- IMO.
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:16 pm

LaMoure played all spring and summer without klever and good....did well against jamestown, valley, and other teams
.....went to two teams camps without those two girls, going 6-0 at the northern camp.....putting them at the bottom of dist 5 just because they lost the two courtneys is pretty harsh
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:01 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby bball4 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:50 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:LaMoure played all spring and summer without klever and good....did well against jamestown, valley, and other teams
.....went to two teams camps without those two girls, going 6-0 at the northern camp.....putting them at the bottom of dist 5 just because they lost the two courtneys is pretty harsh


Like I said in my previous post-- I agree. They probably won't be at the bottom. An opinion poll is hardly "harsh"- just can't have an opinion about something you don't know. I don't see them ahead of BCN or Ellendale but wish them the best. Glad they had that kind of success and that they were able to play without those girls. I watched them play last year & was impressed with how much they improved from the beginning to the end as a team (I believe I watched them in the Stutsman, then at Districts). I don't, however have a lot of knowledge about their other players, that's why I couldn't guess any better than I did. I know Klever handled the ball a lot for them (the other players I remember seeing graduated-- Gentzkow? Holen?). I can see them ahead of CP and LMM and will probably give EK a good run as well.
I watch a lot more D6 ball-- a little new to D5.
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby footballislife15 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:57 pm

LaMoure could suprise a lot of people this year not saying they are number 1 in the region or district but don;t count them out this year.
Play to Win.
footballislife15
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby footballislife15 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I think Jade wagner and Chantel Johnson and Kennedy Witt will be the studs for the Lamoure team. they are freshamn this year. Lamoure could suprise people this year.
Play to Win.
footballislife15
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 pm

they play like young freshman; example, they are not strong, they have difficulty remembering plays, they only dribble to the right with heads down, they don't look to pass, shoot first team second i could go on.....studs? wow might develop into players in a few years but they are not studs for the lamoure girls team, not by a long shot and certainly not this year; jv players at best
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:01 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby bball4 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:26 pm

and I'M pretty harsh? Ouch. :lol:
Coach Stemen did a good job with those girls last year. If these Freshman are coachable, you never know. What does LaMoure have for an inside game? I guess I don't remember their posts since Watkins graduated. Typically, teams that have an abundance of success have at least one tough big...and one strong guard. Just an observation. Of course, five strong players or even four is ideal, but if you look at past state tournament teams, they usually have a dynamic big or guard...or both. JMO.
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:25 pm

I didn't call them names, i didn't say anything nasty.......these girls are not studs (not yet) and are not even on varsity, and this board/other posters typically slam someone who doesn't back up their statements with examples, I provided such from watching them at practices and scrimmages and summer league and team camps. Stemen doesn't believe in post play so you wouldn't remember one..he doesn't use them in his offenses; the post players stand out at the three point line
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:01 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby bball4 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:53 am

Honestly, I didn't think you were out of line-- I was simply calling you out on the fact that you said I was harsh for having an opinion, yet you have no problem voicing yours- as negative as it is. I don't feel it's appropriate to put kids down like that and that's MY opinion.

I have a lot of respect for coach Stemen. He must have a reason for the offense he runs. I guess I was more impressed with their improvements on the defensive end. That might be why I wasn't focused heavily on their offense/post play.
Last edited by bball4 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:32 pm

the loboes team is greatly improved on defense........due to coach stemens influence without a doubt..his coaching of the girls team is a thousand percent better than his predecessor...my problem was that you ranked/dropped a team and then said you don't watch or know much about D5 and then called my opinion harsh when at least I have watched the district and the players in it.....the loboes will struggle on offense as long as they continue to ignore the inside; the guards are not strong and i disagree with an offense built on only outside play when the outside is not strong. Call me old fashioned but I do not believe that a team can be successful if you ignore the inside. Colleges can recruit to run those kinds of motion offenses but high schools can't and if you do not have the players to run a 5 out or motion offense, why would you? so yes I am baffled by his offensive choices and having over 25 years of coaching experience at least allows me to question
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:01 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby bball4 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:the loboes team is greatly improved on defense........due to coach stemens influence without a doubt..his coaching of the girls team is a thousand percent better than his predecessor...my problem was that you ranked/dropped a team and then said you don't watch or know much about D5 and then called my opinion harsh when at least I have watched the district and the players in it.....the loboes will struggle on offense as long as they continue to ignore the inside; the guards are not strong and i disagree with an offense built on only outside play when the outside is not strong. Call me old fashioned but I do not believe that a team can be successful if you ignore the inside. Colleges can recruit to run those kinds of motion offenses but high schools can't and if you do not have the players to run a 5 out or motion offense, why would you? so yes I am baffled by his offensive choices and having over 25 years of coaching experience at least allows me to question


Ok. I feel as if you are only taking bits and pieces of what I am saying. I said "Honestly, I didn't think you were out of line..."-- I didn't think you were being harsh. I was joking. :lol: Hence the giggling face. I happen to agree with much of what you are saying (especially as a short post player back in my day).

I have watched ENOUGH D5 basketball to form an OPINION- and I guess I missed it in the NDPreps rules "Thou shalt not form an opinion unless you know all players on every team regarding topic". I have watched every single team in D5 play at least once and a lot of them more than 4 times. I watched the Stutsman Co. tournament last year as well as Districts in Jamestown AND Regionals in Napoleon. I went to some of their regular season games AND tried to catch them any time they were on BEK TV, so I will clarify: After what LaMoure lost to graduation (& what they lost to injuries), considering where the majority of their points came from, I ranked them as such. What I didn't get to see a lot of-- was their bench. With my years of playing and coaching experience, I believe I am also entitled to that opinion.

I wish your Loboes the best of luck.
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:21 pm

It's early but after watching Ellendale in their first game tonight against a a solid Strasburg Zeeland team, I like their chances to 3 peat as District 5 champs. They have a nice mix of youth and experience and will really get after you on defense. Plenty of scorers as well and a deep bench.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby Sportsknowledge » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Yes I agree on ellendale... Can't wait to see them bring home the cowbell next week!!!
User avatar
Sportsknowledge
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:05 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby jellybean » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:16 am

Well sounds like Oakes got the cowbell for both girls and boys. Interested to hear some details on what occurred with the games. As far as the comments on the LaMoure team; I think it is wrong of a parent to bring down other players on a team. If such a parent were a coach for 25 years (would have to be 5th and 6th, but surely seems quite an exaggeration), being a coach you would know to never bring down young athletes on a discussion board, or anywhere for that matter. The LaMoure team has a group of young girls with some athleticism and the senior Bickford who sparks them. She never gives up and leaves it all on the floor, she is a great role model for the younger girls who are learning extreme amounts of basketball from two very good coaches. Any school would love to have them, LaMoure is very fortunate. I would guess that as the year progresses, the girls who listen to 'the coach' will do just fine and play respectable ball.
jellybean
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby Nemesis » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:34 am

Yes, although the girls game doesn't really count towards the cowbell both Ellendale teams lost tonight and both games were pretty sloppy. It looked like they were still getting the rust off from the long off-season. Whoever number 50 is for Oakes pretty much tore Ellendale apart. They never really had an answer for her down the stretch. It was close the whole game until the fourth quarter when Bommersbach fouled out within the first few minutes. She could have helped Ellendale later in the game as she is a pure shooter. Oakes held on for the win however and it was a great atmosphere to be a part of. Definitely one of the best rivalries in North Dakota. Not the best summary of the game but there really wasn't much else to tell... I think both teams are still figuring things out and their coaches will have them looking sharper as the season progresses as both teams are featuring new players and a new look. Number 10 for Oakes i'mpressed me as well and Ellendale has some solid talent in their sophomore class. On a side note, they'll face off again during the Holiday tourney in Ellendale I believe.
Last edited by Nemesis on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nemesis
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:38 am

score?
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10385
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby Nemesis » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:44 am

58-54 in Oakes favor
Nemesis
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby bball4 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:14 am

@jellybean...you are SPOT on. I completely agree.

I watched the game on TV. Nicole Warren (50) is an amazing athlete. The commentator had her for 39 points. She sees the floor & has some great spin moves. She also appears to be a very humble player. I congratulate her on a great game.

Second quarter killed the Cardinals. They had a lot of undisciplined fouls. They have a lot of athleticism and could definately outrun the Tornadoes. I imagine he took the press off because of the fouls. They don't lack for aggressiveness I guess.
Brianna Vance came out in the 3rd quarter playing very strong. Yes, I know the Sophomores have some talent-- but I felt that she was the reason they stayed in that game. They have some 3 ball shooters (Fuller, Herman, Bommersbach- I thought I even saw Mertz take one but not sure). It's tough to defend that many good outside shooters. With Vance inside, I look for them to have a good inside/outside game. At least if one is off, they have some that can take over.


They are not guaranteed to play in the holiday tourney. I suppose if they both win or both lose but I think they rarely start out playing each other in the first game. Haven't seen a bracket though.
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby Nemesis » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:52 pm

I agree that Vance played a solid game... they missed her down there a few times and she's gotta be a little more consistent scorer underneath. I like the talent for the Ellendale team... really think Herman will have them playing excellent ball during the end of the year. He's got a lot of raw, young talent.
Nemesis
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: 2011-2012 District 5

Postby bballuvr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:35 am

bball4 wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:the loboes team is greatly improved on defense........due to coach stemens influence without a doubt..his coaching of the girls team is a thousand percent better than his predecessor...my problem was that you ranked/dropped a team and then said you don't watch or know much about D5 and then called my opinion harsh when at least I have watched the district and the players in it.....the loboes will struggle on offense as long as they continue to ignore the inside; the guards are not strong and i disagree with an offense built on only outside play when the outside is not strong. Call me old fashioned but I do not believe that a team can be successful if you ignore the inside. Colleges can recruit to run those kinds of motion offenses but high schools can't and if you do not have the players to run a 5 out or motion offense, why would you? so yes I am baffled by his offensive choices and having over 25 years of coaching experience at least allows me to question


Ok. I feel as if you are only taking bits and pieces of what I am saying. I said "Honestly, I didn't think you were out of line..."-- I didn't think you were being harsh. I was joking. :lol: Hence the giggling face. I happen to agree with much of what you are saying (especially as a short post player back in my day).



I have watched ENOUGH D5 basketball to form an OPINION- and I guess I missed it in the NDPreps rules "Thou shalt not form an opinion unless you know all players on every team regarding topic". I have watched every single team in D5 play at least once and a lot of them more than 4 times. I watched the Stutsman Co. tournament last year as well as Districts in Jamestown AND Regionals in Napoleon. I went to some of their regular season games AND tried to catch them any time they were on BEK TV, so I will clarify: After what LaMoure lost to graduation (& what they lost to injuries), considering where the majority of their points came from, I ranked them as such. What I didn't get to see a lot of-- was their bench. With my years of playing and coaching experience, I believe I am also entitled to that opinion.

I wish your Loboes the best of luck.


Interesting conversation in a way.
Loboes will battle to find indentity as couple seniors lost for season. Some younger players will need to mature quickly.
As far as them not looking for inside game? I've watched them a fair amount. Saying their coach doesn't want post looks would not be accurate in my opinion. Are there missed post entries? Sure. Are there times posts not getting open? Sure. That's life sometimes, especially with younger perimeter. Posts standing at the 3 point line? Sure. In any rotation type offense, that how it goes.
Posts need to post up, then post up again, then post up again, then post up again. Hopefully the Loboe posts will have that attitude and not a "blame the periemeter" or "poor me" attitude. I have seen that occur on the floor and in the stands and damage team chemistry in places before. It's easier said than done to work through frustration. Hopefully Loboes will battle through whatever struggles they face. I beleive they will
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Next

Return to Girls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest