Region 1 Championship Game: Central Cass 58, Kindred 52 (OT)

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 1 Championship Game: Central Cass 58, Kindred 52 (OT)

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:50 am

What a fun game this was to watch as a fan of basketball. Those kids played so hard last night and it's a shame that only one of them gets to play at the state tournament. Seeing all those players dive for loose balls, fight for every rebound, and leave it on the floor was great to watch. Kindred played a good game and had their chances to win. I'm sure the two missed FTs with the score tied and .5 seconds on the clock will be a tough pill to swallow, but they shouldn't look to that as the reason they lost. A 17-3 CC run in the second quarter was a big part of it. Credit to the Vikings for making their run to get back into it.

I hate how many great teams don't get to play in the state tournament because of our set up. This situation would be the equivalent of the #1 and #2 teams in the NCAA tournament being matched up to play in the Sweet 16. There's got to be a smarter way to do this so the best teams in the state aren't sitting at home because of geography.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Re: Region 1 Championship Game: Central Cass 58, Kindred 52

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:41 am

Back in the 80's (not sure exactly which year) in Boys BB, Westhope lost 4 games, all to Newburg. (Twice in the regular season, District Championship and Regional Championship) and if I remember right (big if), they were all by single digits. Newburg goes on to win State and Westhope sits home watching 6 or 7 teams play in the State Tournament who were probably not as good as they were. One of the reasons I like the SD Sweet 16.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:56 am

Until they address issue of getting similar size schools competing against each other i am still in favor of the system we have other wise like this year most of teams would have come from eastern third of the state. If truly are going to have state tournament where all the state is interested in the tournament we need schools represented from all over the state. Even as it has been now on boys side we had nearly 1/3 of the state geographically not represented in state tournament on different years. Speaking from experience i had people who had attended the boys state tournament for years and they quit going because of that nearest team representing area was over 120 miles away. They had no connection to the teams at the state tournament and had no one to root for. Look at this years state tournament for girls this years state qualifiers from each of the regions majority are one of top three in size in their regions with exception of couple of western regions. Also there are years or number of years where certain regions have number quality teams and many teams never reach the state tournament but that is way it is when you have single game elimination tournament. I am big believer that state tournament needs teams representing all regions of the state if truly are going to have fan interest and following otherwise we will just have same select few at state year in year out.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:14 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:Until they address issue of getting similar size schools competing against each other i am still in favor of the system we have other wise like this year most of teams would have come from eastern third of the state. If truly are going to have state tournament where all the state is interested in the tournament we need schools represented from all over the state. Even as it has been now on boys side we had nearly 1/3 of the state geographically not represented in state tournament on different years. Speaking from experience i had people who had attended the boys state tournament for years and they quit going because of that nearest team representing area was over 120 miles away. They had no connection to the teams at the state tournament and had no one to root for. Look at this years state tournament for girls this years state qualifiers from each of the regions majority are one of top three in size in their regions with exception of couple of western regions. Also there are years or number of years where certain regions have number quality teams and many teams never reach the state tournament but that is way it is when you have single game elimination tournament. I am big believer that state tournament needs teams representing all regions of the state if truly are going to have fan interest and following otherwise we will just have same select few at state year in year out.

The South Dakota system is pretty foolproof. Every Region takes their top two teams and seeds the Sweet 16 after the Region championship game. So every section of the state is represented, but you don't penalize a team like Kindred for being geographically closer to Central Cass. I'm pretty convinced Kindred would beat all of the teams except Grafton and Central Cass that in the state tournament by 15+ points. If Kindred and CC were both going to the Sweet 16 they'd be seeded as the #1 and #2 seeds in that group. The best teams should be the teams going to state. Basketball is a bigger priority on the eastern side of the state, that's no secret. This has happened on the boys side in region 2 multiple times.

Cavalier and Grafton had that going on in the early 2010s, HCV and Thompson have had that recently, especially in 2018. In 2002 the Region 2 tournament had 4 teams in the top 10 of the poll and Hillsboro was ranked in the top 15-20 all year. There's an argument that all five of them would have made it to State in different regions. There are so many great players and coaches that have never had a chance at the "B" and it's a pretty reasonable suggestion to go to a Sweet 16 format like the state we share a border with. Nobody in SD has a problem with it. We have that lovely North Dakota attitude of, "Well, it's always been this way!"
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 pm

It was a great game with the players leaving it out on the floor. Very physical game. I will never figure out why the Kindred coach tries to press the whole game. You play 6 or 7 Players at the most but 3 of the kids never leave the court. Kindred gets back and does not let CC fast break and speed the game up... they win this one hands down. CC needs the the fast paced game.. they shoot way better off the fast break. Great Job CC... best of luck... Bring home the Big Prize!
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:09 pm

Everyone who played last night will be back next year. Should be another great matchup.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:46 pm

My computer indicated that nearly 2200 watched the Central Cass-Kindred game via streaming last nite.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:04 pm

Very good Game...
I was talking to my Computer with .5 seconds left, while they were setting up for the free throw shots, with a girl that had went 4 for 4 from the line and another kindred girl right in her face, I'm sure encouraging her to make the FT...I'm not sure if Kindred had any Timeouts left (I think they did) I was saying "good time for a timeout to settle nerves"............
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:11 pm

vikingman wrote:Everyone who played last night will be back next year. Should be another great matchup.

Just crazy to think about, and most of them in CC will be back for 2 more years.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Was a fun game to watch and Central Cass out played Kindred from the start. The team executed when they had to and played great D. Great team effort by CC even when they lost a player to foul trouble. They didn't miss a beat. Probably a good thing that Kindred wasn't able to steal it away at the end with a free-throw.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:04 pm

leroybla wrote:My computer indicated that nearly 2200 watched the Central Cass-Kindred game via streaming last nite.

So maybe at least 2 or 3 people per stream on average. I know a few people that had at least 8 people watching at once.... and lets say 1000 at the game... so lets say 5000 people watching that game and everybody saw a group of girls play their hearts out.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:17 pm

I listened to 2 radio broadcasts of this game and also watched the YourLiveEvent, so I don't remember who said it, but someone mentioned that the tournament officials were doing a good job of making sure everyone was wearing masks. Not really.

As I was watching my own video of the game, I noticed a LOT of people behind the Kindred bench (apparently NOT Kindred fans as far as I could tell) who were not wearing masks--it wasn't that they were pulled down under their chin--just no mask visible at all.

And, on the entire Kindred bench, only one coach ever had a mask up. The players on the CC bench that never got in to the game always had their masks up, and whatever players who were rotating in-out would sometimes have masks on while they were on the bench.

I think MN sports might be over-doing the mask bit, but I don't think it's too much to ask that that the ND schools have their players/fans showing a bit more respect and concern. I find it hard to see it any other way than that Kindred had a 'rules don't apply to us' attitude.

What was the situation at other region events?

Also, I was a bit surprised on the coverage of the two missed free throws at the end of regulation. At the pro and college level I would certainly expect the player to be pointed out, but I don't think we have to go there at the high school level. A couple of years ago, CC made it to the softball championship on a major miscue by an opponent. I don't remember that the person was named in any of the in the articles I read, and as far as I was concerned, that was the way it should be.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:42 pm

vikingman wrote:I listened to 2 radio broadcasts of this game and also watched the YourLiveEvent, so I don't remember who said it, but someone mentioned that the tournament officials were doing a good job of making sure everyone was wearing masks. Not really.

As I was watching my own video of the game, I noticed a LOT of people behind the Kindred bench (apparently NOT Kindred fans as far as I could tell) who were not wearing masks--it wasn't that they were pulled down under their chin--just no mask visible at all.

And, on the entire Kindred bench, only one coach ever had a mask up. The players on the CC bench that never got in to the game always had their masks up, and whatever players who were rotating in-out would sometimes have masks on while they were on the bench.

I think MN sports might be over-doing the mask bit, but I don't think it's too much to ask that that the ND schools have their players/fans showing a bit more respect and concern. I find it hard to see it any other way than that Kindred had a 'rules don't apply to us' attitude.

I have noticed in the region I watch most often - Region 2 - that it really depends on the school. There is one school in particular where none of the athletes, coaches, admin, fans, or anyone else in the building where them at games. Other schools seem to be really good about it with everyone from players to fans wearing them. I think it is another good example of where people meet expectations and examples of those around them. If the expectation and example is we wear them, then they will. If the expectation is we don't need to wear them and won't, then they don't. At the beginning of the season I think the attitude was "whatever allows the kids to play." Now people have pandemic fatigue and are sick of being told what to do so the attitude is "make me." Just my opinion based on what I have observed.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:05 pm

vikingman wrote:I listened to 2 radio broadcasts of this game and also watched the YourLiveEvent, so I don't remember who said it, but someone mentioned that the tournament officials were doing a good job of making sure everyone was wearing masks. Not really.

Also, I was a bit surprised on the coverage of the two missed free throws at the end of regulation. At the pro and college level I would certainly expect the player to be pointed out, but I don't think we have to go there at the high school level. A couple of years ago, CC made it to the softball championship on a major miscue by an opponent. I don't remember that the person was named in any of the in the articles I read, and as far as I was concerned, that was the way it should be.

The Kindred fan section was not behind their bench. If the school announces the importance and or has someone walking around asking people to pull them up most people are very good about wearing them. You were required to wear one to enter the building at NDSCS but I never heard one word from an announcer about wearing a mask and they didn't have anyone walking around policing it. I would say 85-90% of the people were wearing one after being seated. Seating was every other row to maintain social distancing. NDSCS also didn't serve any concessions throughout the Tournament to prevent the spread of COVID through popcorn. :roll: Tri-State fans/students are also from SD where students DO NOT wear a mask in school. I spoke with a student from SD and I was told they only wear a mask when they sing in music. Schools have done a great job this year having everyone wear masks in ND. Lastly, I don't think ND Preps is the place we need to discuss mask use or enforcement. Time for you to go back to FB.

Here is a link to what ND thinks of masks:
https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/ ... 1302b.html

The beginning of the END to the madness!
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls