Pre-season Picks for Regions across State

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:50 am

Last year in the region II championship game Lorenz only scored maybe 7 points in the game and had 2 at halftime.  to say the best all around player is probably fair because there isn't a player in the state that if he is better offensively (packinau) that he is better defensively.  Lorenz guarded zak winkler in the game and he was a 20 point average scorer for the season and scored over 1200 points his last 3 years in HS and held him to 7 points.  while he doesn't always get it done offensively his defense is always there.  this is also why watching a may port basketball game is so boring you want to fall asleep because the scores are in the 30s and 40s.   
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:49 am

You are right, the reason may port won that game was because alex berry had 3 or 4 three point shots, david fyre who didn't make a shot all season made 2 or 3 three point shots and guys that no one has heard of played out of their element when lorenz and baldwin were shut down.  Two years ago when May-Port went with the team of Juniors and Sophomores they shot 14-15 from the free throw line in the fourth quarter alone and fyre and berry were making threes in that game too.  Funny how that works, May Port scored in the 40's in both the previous region tournament games and baldwin and lorenz scored the majority of their points and in the championship game its a complete tournaround.  I believe Mark Bakkum is a better basketball player then Luke Lorenz but what puts lorenz at a higher level is his head.  He's the smartest player in the state and always makes the right play and never the risky play.  Lorenz is a player that the coaches want and his fans cheer for, bakkum is a player that people from all over the state will enjoy watching him play and cheer for his team when tournaments come.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:11 pm

i think fyre aveaged under 3 points per game last year.... the reason he was considered a good player is because of his passing ability and how he ran offense, not shooting, he was not a shooter by any stretch of the imagination
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cash » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:53 pm

I think Wells County will have a pretty good team, with that weak region, Leeds/Minn., Four Winds, Wells County, and possibly Harvey, they have a lot of height from what I saw last year.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:00 pm

They will definitely be a district contender.  In one of my previous posts I went through that district so I won't get into it now.  As far as the Region goes, They'll be a tough out like they always are but depending on how strong teams like Grafton and Midway-Minto are out of District 4, May-Port could be playing for the championship or being done after the first day.  District 4 is the better district I believe in Region 2 this year.  Thompson is the only for sure threat out of that district in the pre-season that has a chance to go far this year.  A Junior-dominated team from a year ago that was the only team to beat May-Port before the state tournament, they only lost one significant starter in Wurtz.  District 4 has three solid teams to look out for in Grafton, Midway-Minto and North Border.  Grafton only loses one player total and 6'6 Junior all-conference returning Anthony Kliniske is only getting better by the season.  Midway-Minto is in the same boat as Thompson, having to replace a great scoring gaurd in Thomas Sitzer on a team dominated by Juniors and underclassmen last year.  North Border replaces 5 players from the team that played May-Port in regionals last year.  3 starters, 6th and 7th man.  However, they have a great sophomore and junior class coming up this year.  Senior class is led by Paul Meyer and Nick Chaput.  6'11 Mike Mathison is ready to make his mark this year and depending on how good he plays North Border can go as far as they want to this season.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:43 pm

there is no absolute way that north border will even their district.  Midway-minto is by far the better team.  by the way luke lorenz had 11 points, and he sprained his knee midway through the first quarter.  if you are depending on mike mathison to take you somewhere you are going nowhere.  mpcg averaged around 61 points a game just to let you know.
Last edited by cubsfan on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:47 pm

actually he didn't have 11 points in the first quarter of the championship game, i would know i played in it.  Midway Minto is the favorite coming in but they rely on jump shooting too much and last year sitzer was what held the team together.  I dont know if they have a point guard that will control the game like he did.  Enger is a better scorer but he's pretty streaky and not the ball handler sitzer is.  Midway Mintos only probablem is a lack of depth, a problem Grafton and North Border do not have.  I didnt say mike mathison was going to carry the team either, but when you're 6'11 and in the 260's in weight in class b, you're going to be a factor in the game.  North Border has 2 returning all conference players, one at the point and one in the paint.  They have a very talented guard alongside carpenter(all conference) in nick chaput who will be an all conference level player htis year.  Dustyn Chale and Mike Smith are going to be big factors for the team this year so don't write off that team just yet.  You also can't forget about grafton, its going to be a 3 team race all year round with and of these teams able to take the top three spots.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby AandBfan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:10 am

I've never heard of that 6'11 kid, tell me more about him.
Last edited by AandBfan on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
AandBfan

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Mathison, he was 6'5 or so as a freshmen, then bolted up to 6'9 his sophomore year, by his junior year he was 6'11 and had a hard time getting his feet under him after that dramatic of a growth spurt.  He's been practicing hard all summer and has made a huge improvement every year he's been in HS.  He was on JV last year as a junior, he needed to get game experience on jv before playing varsity last season.  He played very well on JV last year and got very comfortable down low making moves.  North Borders JV is 40-0 over the last few years so they're underclassmen are good players and ready to come in and play well.  I think he's going to have a breakout year this year.  At 6'11 over 260 pounds in class b you're going to be a force especially as hard as he has worked on his game this year.  His play is going to be a big factor in the Eagles success this year and he is ready to contribute.  The eagles have a returning all conference post in paul meyer along side of him and  a promising sophomore prospect in michael smith.  So, Mathison will either draw a lot of double teams and be able to find open players or get one on one coverage that most of the posts in region 2 will not be able to handle someone of his size. 
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Claz B Fan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:50 am

North Border what can you tell me about Max Johnson I used to play basketabll and football with him until family stuff and he moved to live with his dad and I havent heard his name since
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:15 am

He played well as a freshmen last season, starting or playing right off the bench on an undefeated jv with 13 players.  He dressed in some varsity games last year and will probably get to play some varsity this year depending on how much he's improved.  He's a good player, not much of a shooter but a good guard that can handle the ball well, makes good passes and plays good defense.  This upcoming year might not be a breakout year for him as north border is pretty guard heavy but he'll be a good player these next 3 years.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:49 pm

cubsfan wrote:there is no absolute way that north border will even their district.  Midway-minto is by far the better team.  by the way luke lorenz had 11 points, and he sprained his knee midway through the first quarter.  if you are depending on mike mathison to take you somewhere you are going nowhere.  mpcg averaged around 61 points a game just to let you know.

Good call.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:08 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:there is no absolute way that north border will even their district.  Midway-minto is by far the better team.  by the way luke lorenz had 11 points, and he sprained his knee midway through the first quarter.  if you are depending on mike mathison to take you somewhere you are going nowhere.  mpcg averaged around 61 points a game just to let you know.

Good call.

I was right on that one. lol.  But I have been impressed by how North Border has looked in the state tournament.  Mathison is playing a lot better than I expected him to be and Chaput is playing very well on both ends of the court.  To bad they lost last night but  they were a good representative of region and congratulations on a very nice season.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:33 am

cubsfan wrote:

Good call.

I was right on that one. lol.  But I have been impressed by how North Border has looked in the state tournament.  Mathison is playing a lot better than I expected him to be and Chaput is playing very well on both ends of the court.  To bad they lost last night but  they were a good representative of region and congratulations on a very nice season.
Well if you didn't pick us to win our district I didn't think you would pick us to win regionals.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:27 pm

cubsfan wrote:

Good call.

Well if you didn't pick us to win our district I didn't think you would pick us to win regionals.
I don't think they will win their district this year but will contend with Grafton in the both the districts and region.  North Border will be the toughest test for Grafton in region 2.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby number33 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:25 pm

cubsfan wrote:
cubsfan wrote:

Good call.

I don't think they will win their district this year but will contend with Grafton in the both the districts and region.  North Border will be the toughest test for Grafton in region 2.

i THINK THAT DUNSEITH DRAGONS WILL BE ONE OF THE TOP TEAMS THIS YEAR COMING OUT OF REGION VI .................THEY ARE RETURNING THREE STARTER AND AN AWESOME PLAYER FROM MINNESOTA THIS YEAR THAT MOVED TO DUNSEITH LAST YEAR AND I THINK THEY WILL BE PRETTY COMPETITIVE THIS YEAR.......
number33
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Boys