why not add a class?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: why not add a class?

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:08 pm

rock83 wrote:How many regions have private schools? 4? So if every year there are 2 or 3 private schools in the state tournament that is coming from the same 4 regions. They have such an advantage in their region.
Also in boys and girls you have to have a decent team to make it to state. Shiloh boys are an example they have a nice team but they are led by a great player and some nice kids around him. How many of these kids started out in shiloh from the time they were lower elementary? None of there better players.

5 Regions have Parochial Schools:
Region 1 - Oak Grove
Region 5 - Shiloh Christian
Region 6 - Bishop Ryan & Our Redeemer's
Region 7 - Dickinson Trinity
Region 8 - Trinity Christian (Williston)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Since someone revived this topic, I will point out that 2013 will become the seventh year in a row where a small public high school will advance to the state championship game. We know that either Milnor or LaMoure will be there.

Very hard to make the case for three classes when we consistently have a small public school that makes its way through the bigger schools all the way to the championship game.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:11 am

Rock83, Shiloh has had 2 transfers in 2 years. Obviously their best player, and another starter. This is not the norm for private schools. This is the only case I've ever seen before. They also don't have any advantage over public schools. If a kid moves towns to come to your school, that's his choice and within the rules. This could happened with a public school too. It's not like the kids can transfer over from Bismarck High without any consequences.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:59 am

There is an advantage to be in a private school. The parents see that the kid wont be at the level they want them at a class a school so they transfer over to the private school. How many of the shiloh kids started in Shiloh in 1st grade? Really shiloh has only had a couple transfers? In a class b school the student actually has to move to the town, with shiloh some already live in bismarck so they just transfer over and others come from the great northwest. Its not a fair fight. You give any class b team 2 studs every few years they can have a great program as well. It isnt just the last two years.

Indy5 wrote:Rock83, Shiloh has had 2 transfers in 2 years. Obviously their best player, and another starter. This is not the norm for private schools. This is the only case I've ever seen before. They also don't have any advantage over public schools. If a kid moves towns to come to your school, that's his choice and within the rules. This could happened with a public school too. It's not like the kids can transfer over from Bismarck High without any consequences.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 am

rock83 wrote:There is an advantage to be in a private school. The parents see that the kid wont be at the level they want them at a class a school so they transfer over to the private school. How many of the shiloh kids started in Shiloh in 1st grade? Really shiloh has only had a couple transfers? In a class b school the student actually has to move to the town, with shiloh some already live in bismarck so they just transfer over and others come from the great northwest. Its not a fair fight. You give any class b team 2 studs every few years they can have a great program as well. It isnt just the last two years.

Indy5 wrote:Rock83, Shiloh has had 2 transfers in 2 years. Obviously their best player, and another starter. This is not the norm for private schools. This is the only case I've ever seen before. They also don't have any advantage over public schools. If a kid moves towns to come to your school, that's his choice and within the rules. This could happened with a public school too. It's not like the kids can transfer over from Bismarck High without any consequences.

If a kid transfers from class A to a private school in the same city, they have to sit out a year as well. There have been just as many transfers in other class B towns that with private schools. Northstar had a kid transfer from VC this season when the family moved.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:47 am

We took advantage of private schools for academic reasons...... not sports! I hope the majority of us look at schools for those reasons and not some game.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 pm

We chose Private schools because of class sizes. You get more one on one time, everyone knows each kid and keeps an eye out for each other. Its a tight knit community within a bigger town. We also valued the faith based education that was offered at the private schools. It had nothing to do with sports.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndcharlie37 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Would someone please indulge me for a moment. I enjoy reading all of the posts, I was raised in ND, but left just over 40 years ago so I'm not up on everything that's been going on with the schools and sports.
When you speak of a co-op is that schools merging for the sake of enrollment and better education or just
for better sports teams. Did the real small former class "C" (and some "B") schools totally shut down and
bus their few students to a larger, nearby school, or just the athletes. Some folks who make posts on this site talk as if the co-ops are for sports only. My old HS, Mercer, shut down way back in "72" as I recall, and
have been merged with Turtle Lake ever since. I believe just this past school year McClusky joined the
co-op, but I don't know if it was for all students or just the "jocks". In other words did McClusky HS and
grade school shut down or just the HS.. I think that one of the main reasons for the co-op system is to save
the taxpayers money, would this be correct ?
I have several other questions to ask, but for now I'll wait and see if someone responds to this post.
ndcharlie37
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue May 07, 2013 8:26 pm

co-op is when 2 schools combine sports, the schools are still separate, but play sports together.
the main reason for the co-ops is because most schools don't have enough kids to field teams.
ND is way different than it was 40 years ago.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:30 pm

ndcharlie, here is a link to current coops in the state (North Dakota High School Activities Association)

http://www.ndhsaa.com/athletics_co-ops/
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed May 08, 2013 3:43 pm

ndcharlie37 wrote:Would someone please indulge me for a moment. I enjoy reading all of the posts, I was raised in ND, but left just over 40 years ago so I'm not up on everything that's been going on with the schools and sports.
When you speak of a co-op is that schools merging for the sake of enrollment and better education or just
for better sports teams. Did the real small former class "C" (and some "B") schools totally shut down and
bus their few students to a larger, nearby school, or just the athletes. Some folks who make posts on this site talk as if the co-ops are for sports only. My old HS, Mercer, shut down way back in "72" as I recall, and
have been merged with Turtle Lake ever since. I believe just this past school year McClusky joined the
co-op, but I don't know if it was for all students or just the "jocks". In other words did McClusky HS and
grade school shut down or just the HS.. I think that one of the main reasons for the co-op system is to save
the taxpayers money, would this be correct ?
I have several other questions to ask, but for now I'll wait and see if someone responds to this post.

Co-ops are sports only, consolidation is where the schools shut down/merge
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:38 pm

Interesting to hear thoughts on 3 classes 10+ years ago.

Families do move to small towns with public schools, but you're going to see more families move to Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, and Dickinson than Ashley, Cando, Mott, and Edinburg.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDbaseballguy2 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:06 pm

The only way a class should be added is for private schools in my honest opinion. I think the 3 class system will work, however, there are still some flaws, which obviously there will be flaws no matter what. I don’t think it’s really fair that private schools/other schools in or near big towns should get to play lower class because they are private… etc Shiloh Christian, bishop ryan, Thompson, Ned rose, etc.
NDbaseballguy2
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Boys