Enrollment Numbers

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Enrollment Numbers

Postby bestofdawest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 pm

scruffy wrote:Districts were held in Hazen, on years when the regional was held in Hazen or Beulah... they still won and these kids on the roster have been in the school since grade one and the school doesn't take advantage of our states "open enrollment" policy like many schools do.. I'd say they have a pretty good program and I understand why some would be jealous.

Yes, they were but Dickinson Trinity held regionals and they do hold districts to sometimes....they did win, the program is good, and the kids have been in school since grade one okay gotcha and i respect that....but as for years before they have had kids come to DT to play and get some time. Man homecourt advantage would really be nice in a regional tourney cant imagine what oak grove any other good team for that matter could do. if they held either the district or regional tournament theyd come out every year i bet!
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:36 pm

I agree, let's solve this problem together. I will line up DSU for next year, you can pick out and notify the 1000 fans that won't get a seat in the gym.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby bestofdawest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Alirighty
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDplayin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:36 pm

larrybird33 wrote:Coach Grinsteinner's Titans are now 19-6 at the state tournament.

If that state tournament record is correct, then we can officially put the 'homecourt advantage' argument I read used against Dickinson Trinity over and over again to rest.

19-6 would be considered a successful regular season, and that is when half of your schedule is filled with average teams. If a program has a collective 19-6 record at the state tournament which is always played on a nuetral court against the toughest competition North Dakota has to offer, then I think it is very safe to say they didn't make it through their regional tournament because of a "homecourt advantage"
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bestofdawest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Wow! You really think that made sense? I don't....it's not just this year, its every year. Bottom line...holding a regional tournament game helps. Take Heart River for example (they obviously dont have the room) per say they held the regional tourney....... heart river would represent region 7 goin to state!
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:59 pm

I guess you are saying that the venue cost heart river at least 25 points? They lost the title game by 24...
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDplayin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 pm

They would? I think the Region 7 championship game was decided by over 20 points this year with Heart River on the unfortunate side... 20 points is A LOT more than a homecourt advantage. And Im talking about a lot more than this year... Im citing a 19-6 record over about 8 or 9 years at State. With that kind of tradition it isnt dumb luck or homecourt advantage, it is flat out being good
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:22 pm

Ok, Trinity has a very good basketball program. This years team would have went regardless of where they played, but I think from 2001-2007 there were a lot of good teams who were probably better than they were, but couldn't overcome playing on Trinity's floor. Playing the regional tournament on your floor is a huge advantage, but it is the only arena in the area that can hold the tournament.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby tdog09 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Schwab, you obviously haven't been to the Region 7 tournament. If you have before you would know that with the exception of Trinity's students and parents and a few other fans, the rest of the gym is cheering for the other team. If Trinity has the last game of the night, fans from the first three will stick around to cheer against Trinity. It's not homecourt advantage. Trinity's gym holds around 2,300 and at least 1600 are rooting against them.
tdog09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:52 pm

tdog09 wrote:Schwab, you obviously haven't been to the Region 7 tournament. If you have before you would know that with the exception of Trinity's students and parents and a few other fans, the rest of the gym is cheering for the other team. If Trinity has the last game of the night, fans from the first three will stick around to cheer against Trinity. It's not homecourt advantage. Trinity's gym holds around 2,300 and at least 1600 are rooting against them.

Yes I have been to the Region 7 tournament, and the reason I say it's an advantage isn't because of the crowd, it's because of the gym itself, how many teams in the region have a gym where there isn't a wall behind the basket? That is a huge advantage.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby tdog09 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:55 pm

So shouldn't that be an advantage for both teams?
tdog09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Trinity plays in that gym every day, they play on those hoops every day.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bestofdawest » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 am

The Schwab wrote:Ok, Trinity has a very good basketball program. This years team would have went regardless of where they played, but I think from 2001-2007 there were a lot of good teams who were probably better than they were, but couldn't overcome playing on Trinity's floor. Playing the regional tournament on your floor is a huge advantage, but it is the only arena in the area that can hold the tournament.

Well put
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 am

The Schwab wrote:Ok, Trinity has a very good basketball program. This years team would have went regardless of where they played, but I think from 2001-2007 there were a lot of good teams who were probably better than they were, but couldn't overcome playing on Trinity's floor. Playing the regional tournament on your floor is a huge advantage, but it is the only arena in the area that can hold the tournament.

Correct. So let's keep the complaining to a minimum, eh? We would all support a neutral site host if we had one.

Trinity has represented the region well at state. Perhaps that too is an indication that those 01-07 teams were deserving. The 07 team was the least talented of the bunch and they took 2nd at state.

Beulah, Bowman and Mott-Region certainly gave it their best effort, but all three ended up in the consolation bracket.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:16 am

larrybird33 wrote:

Correct. So let's keep the complaining to a minimum, eh? We would all support a neutral site host if we had one.

Trinity has represented the region well at state. Perhaps that too is an indication that those 01-07 teams were deserving. The 07 team was the least talented of the bunch and they took 2nd at state.

Beulah, Bowman and Mott-Region certainly gave it their best effort, but all three ended up in the consolation bracket.

I wasn't complaining, just stating my opinion.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby larrybird33 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:23 am

That's fair.

In my opinion, "trinity home court advantage" is currently a 'problem' with no solution, yet we keep coming back to it. I don't know why.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 am

Dickinson state doesn't have a gym big enough to host it?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby larrybird33 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 am

Capacity at DSU is 1500 tops. Trinity holds 2350 and the tournament draws more. Just don't tell our fire department.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:56 am

larrybird33 wrote:That's fair.

In my opinion, "trinity home court advantage" is currently a 'problem' with no solution, yet we keep coming back to it. I don't know why.

It never was brought up in 2008,2009 or 2010! :wink: Sour grapes perhaps??? Long range plans include an expansion of their gym with new seating that don't have obstructed seats.... :D
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Fan of ND sports » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:54 pm

bestofdawest wrote:
scruffy wrote:Districts were held in Hazen, on years when the regional was held in Hazen or Beulah... they still won and these kids on the roster have been in the school since grade one and the school doesn't take advantage of our states "open enrollment" policy like many schools do.. I'd say they have a pretty good program and I understand why some would be jealous.

Yes, they were but Dickinson Trinity held regionals and they do hold districts to sometimes....they did win, the program is good, and the kids have been in school since grade one okay gotcha and i respect that....but as for years before they have had kids come to DT to play and get some time. Man homecourt advantage would really be nice in a regional tourney cant imagine what oak grove any other good team for that matter could do. if they held either the district or regional tournament theyd come out every year i bet!

There is still an accusation of kids coming down from Class A into Trinity to get playing time, yet no names of specific individuals is mentioned. I know the Trinity program well and have not heard of a specific game changing player that was not in the Trinity school system since 7th grade. The Odermann's, Uecksted's, Glasser boys, Steiner, Ernst boys, Landon Smith, Morey's etc.... were in the system since kindergarden. Since kids come over to Trinity from Hope Christian Academy after their 6th grade because of the Christian type education. So I encourage to not accuse without supporting information!!!
Fan of ND sports
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 pm

there's a reason why no names are ever brought up.... Because there aren't any who came to Trinity "because of basketball".. They did have a kid who moved into town from Glen Ullin a few years back, but the family moved to Dickinson for jobs and they had to attend school somewhere! It's not like his family stayed back in Glen Ullin and they rented a house in town so he could attend school. I hear that's a problem in some areas of the state due to lax open enrollment rules.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby bestofdawest » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:08 pm

scruffy wrote:
larrybird33 wrote:That's fair.

It never was brought up in 2008,2009 or 2010! :wink: Sour grapes perhaps??? Long range plans include an expansion of their gym with new seating that don't have obstructed seats.... :D

You want to bet it wasnt! huh?! youve got to be joking Scruff...its brought up every year! Even if they lose its an advantage! HOLDING A REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WHERE YOU PLAY EVERYWEEK HELPS! wake up and smell the roses scruffy boi
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Settle down son... There isn't a better solution to your problem at this time. So you can hang on to that as an excuse for losing, or you can get over it
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby bestofdawest » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:Settle down son... There isn't a better solution to your problem at this time. So you can hang on to that as an excuse for losing, or you can get over it

hahaha i know, it's alright im not even from the region :P just from the outside looking in...
and i like to use lots of emotion.. Run's my role model what can i say
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby rekcats1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Dickinson Trinity is in District 14. They do not play their district tourney at Trinity. District 13 plays their district tournament at Trinity High School. Where did anyone get the idea that "Class A kids are coming down" to play at Trinity. If you do any checking you will see that these kids have been enrolled at DCS since 1st grade. Sports is not the reason parents are choosing private schools.....they are doing so to beable to have Christmas programs with "Christ." and prayer in the classroom and smaller class sizes and more personal attention for their children. People on this website may think it's all about the sports but as a parent I can tell you it isn't.
rekcats1
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys