All State Team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All State Team

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:30 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Well I'm sure this will get thrown back in my face, but whatever I don't really care. If they are TRULY putting the best 5 players in the state on the 1st team, than Trent Roemmich is on the first team without a doubt in my mind. IF the voters play the political game he will be on either team.

The first team should consist of:

Adam Randall
Trent Roemmich
Grant Singer
Tanner Komroski
Devin Barton

Second team:

Dan Yale
Matt Yale
Devin Yellow Wolf
Sam Olson
Robby Morey
and from here there are about 15 candidates that I would have no problem with, but the 5 on the first team and the 5 I have on the second team in my mind are no brainers for all state (either team with a couple of them)


When is a kid that averaged almost 27 points a game not a lock for at least 2nd team all state? He is possibly the state leader in scoring depending on the final totals (i believe he averaged more then Randall) You have never seen Schanilec play I am guessing. Cavalier had 3 losses after the return of Brady Robbins. Then #1 North Star in the GF Invitational, State champ Carrington at state, and to Midway-Minto behind Schanilecs 32 in the Districts. Throw in a 40 point game in a win against a ranked Thompson as well on the road. All while facing a box and chase virtually the entire season because they only have 2 other players who can do anything offensively. If anyone should be a lock it is Schanilec.


Again...I said there were other kids I would have no problem with, he would be one of them, I saw him play when he was a freshman, and points isn't the only thing that matters. I would have no problem with him being a second teamer
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: All State Team

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:42 pm

MINOT, N.D. (AP) - North Dakota Mr. Basketball Adam Randall of

Kidder County and finalist Grant Singer of Turtle

Lake-Mercer-McClusky were unanimous selections and lead a group of

five seniors named to the Class B boys basketball all-state first

team.

Joining Randall and Singer on the first team are Matt Yale of

Lewis & Clark-Berthold, Devin Yellow Wolf of Mandaree and Tanner

Komrosky of North Star.

The team is chosen annually by the North Dakota Associated Press

Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. Randall is the only

repeat first-team selection this year.

The second team includes Devin Barton of Carrington, Robbie

Morey of Dickinson Trinity, Brock Boos of Bowman County, Austin

Friesen of Bismarck Shiloh Christian, Aaron Stemen of LaMoure, Sam

Olson of Fargo Oak Grove, Harrison Weber of Central Cass, Garret

Reineke of Thompson, Philip Schanilec of Midway-Minto and Zach

Grothmann of Hillsboro.

Schanilec is the only junior on the all-state team.
User avatar
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:50 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:MINOT, N.D. (AP) - North Dakota Mr. Basketball Adam Randall of

Kidder County and finalist Grant Singer of Turtle

Lake-Mercer-McClusky were unanimous selections and lead a group of

five seniors named to the Class B boys basketball all-state first

team.

Joining Randall and Singer on the first team are Matt Yale of

Lewis & Clark-Berthold, Devin Yellow Wolf of Mandaree and Tanner

Komrosky of North Star.

The team is chosen annually by the North Dakota Associated Press

Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. Randall is the only

repeat first-team selection this year.

The second team includes Devin Barton of Carrington, Robbie

Morey of Dickinson Trinity, Brock Boos of Bowman County, Austin

Friesen of Bismarck Shiloh Christian, Aaron Stemen of LaMoure, Sam

Olson of Fargo Oak Grove, Harrison Weber of Central Cass, Garret

Reineke of Thompson, Philip Schanilec of Midway-Minto and Zach

Grothmann of Hillsboro.

Schanilec is the only junior on the all-state team.


The North Dakota Sportswriters should be ashamed of themselves....wow
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: All State Team

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 pm

The Schwab wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:MINOT, N.D. (AP) - North Dakota Mr. Basketball Adam Randall of

Kidder County and finalist Grant Singer of Turtle

Lake-Mercer-McClusky were unanimous selections and lead a group of

five seniors named to the Class B boys basketball all-state first

team.

Joining Randall and Singer on the first team are Matt Yale of

Lewis & Clark-Berthold, Devin Yellow Wolf of Mandaree and Tanner

Komrosky of North Star.

The team is chosen annually by the North Dakota Associated Press

Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. Randall is the only

repeat first-team selection this year.

The second team includes Devin Barton of Carrington, Robbie

Morey of Dickinson Trinity, Brock Boos of Bowman County, Austin

Friesen of Bismarck Shiloh Christian, Aaron Stemen of LaMoure, Sam

Olson of Fargo Oak Grove, Harrison Weber of Central Cass, Garret

Reineke of Thompson, Philip Schanilec of Midway-Minto and Zach

Grothmann of Hillsboro.

Schanilec is the only junior on the all-state team.


The North Dakota Sportswriters should be ashamed of themselves....wow


They are sending a firm message, all I will say on the matter.
User avatar
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 pm

That is absolutely ridiculous that Roemmich didn't at least get a second team selection. What is wrong with the media. You can't tell me that Grothman or Morey or Friesen are legitimately better than Trent Roemmich. IMO he's a top 5 player and there is no way you can say he's out of the top 15.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: All State Team

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Well I am not shocked. I knew something like this was going to happen. I heard first hand this weekend exactly what a certain high ranking member of the NDHSAA board feels about the situation. All I can say is the did NOT pick the right teams, congrats to all of the players on the list, I'm not downgrading any of them at all, but to leave one of the top players in the state off this list is down right wrong.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: All State Team

Postby wildcatfan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 pm

I guess I'm with Scwabby and Indy on this one, truely unreal!!! If I had to pick one player for my team, it would be Trent. I'm not from Linton or a fan of Linton, just a realist - he has to be one of the top three players in the state, one of the hardest working kids on the floor that I saw in the 4 games this year, and 4 - 5 games last year that I saw him play in.

Sorry Trent, I think you are a special player and got ripped.
wildcatfan
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Here is the breakdown on all the All-State Players...



MINOT (AP) - North Dakota Mr. Basketball Adam Randall of Kidder County and finalist Grant Singer of Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky lead a group of five seniors named to the Class B boys basketball all-state first team. Both were unanimous selections.

Joining the 6-foot-4 Randall and 6-1 Singer on the first team, as chosen by the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association, are 6-3 guard Matt Yale of Lewis and Clark-Berthold, 6-1 guard Devin Yellow Wolf of Mandaree and 6-2 guard Tanner Komrosky of North Star.

Randall, the only repeat first-team selection, averaged 26.1 points, 4.1 assists and 2.0 steals per game for the Pirates, who finished fourth at the state tournament. He was also Class B's senior athlete of the year and finished his career with more than 2,000 points while earning all-state honors for the third year in a row.

"Adam Randall is a gifted athlete who makes everybody better around him, and he excels in all aspects of the game," Kidder County coach Paul Olson said. "He's a good rebounder, great passer and he can score. If you're playing with Adam, you're going to be a better player."

Singer, the Region 5 senior athlete of the year, picked up his third all-state selection, averaging a double-double in helping the Trojans to the region championship game after making state each of the past two seasons. The forward averaged 24.8 points, 12.1 rebounds, 5.0 steals and 3.0 assists per game.

"Everything he does is to the best of his ability all the time," Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky coach Joi Anderson said. "For us, he did pretty much everything. He played a forward position, but if teams would press, he would bring the ball down.

"Anything he does in life, he'll be successful."

Yale helped the Bombers to the state championship game, where they fell to Carrington. The Region 6 player of the year finished with per-game averages of 13.4 points, 6.5 rebounds and 5.7 assists. The point guard also led his team to state for the second consecutive year, helping the Bombers end the season with a 26-2 record.

"He's probably the most fundamental kid I've ever coached," Berthold coach Brock Teets said. "He's intelligent, competes hard - he's just a leader. He can play all five positions. You can teach him something one time and he'll do it the right way every time."

Yellow Wolf averaged a triple-double, logging 18.0 points, 13.0 rebounds and 10.0 assists per game for the Warriors, who took fifth at state after losing the Region 8 championship game a year ago. He was a second-team all-state selection as a junior and was named the region senior athlete of the year.

"Devin works hard. His dad will tell you he wasn't the most gifted athlete," Mandaree coach Kevin Finley said. "The gift that Devin has is that he's willing to do the work. He finds his players. He doesn't just see the basket; he sees the whole floor and his teammates."

Komrosky guided North Star to a one-loss season. The top-ranked Bearcats were perfect before falling to eventual state champion Carrington in the Region 4 title game. He averaged 21.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 3 steals per game for the Bearcats, who finished seventh at state his junior year. He was named region senior athlete of the year and is a repeat all-state pick after earning second-team honors a year ago."

"I've coached for 20 years and I haven't seen a kid that can shoot the ball like he does," North Star coach Jeff Hagler said. "He was a shooting guard, yet he led us in assists. He's one of the biggest competitors I know. He's strong-willed and wanted to win."

Six of the 15 all-state selections are repeats. The team is made up of 14 seniors and one junior.

The second team:

n Devin Barton, Carrington: The 6-6 senior center was the state tournament MVP, helping the Cardinals capture the state title. He averaged 16 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game.

n Robbie Morey, Dickinson Trinity: The Region 7 senior athlete of the year had per-game averages of 16.5 points, 4 rebounds and 3.5 assists. The 6-3 swingman also garnered all-state honors as a junior.

n Brock Boos, Bowman County: The 6-2 guard averaged 22.5 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3 assists in his senior season. As a junior, he helped the Bulldogs to a sixth-place finish at state.

n Austin Friesen, Bismarck Shiloh Christian: A 6-3 senior guard, Friesen averaged 22 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game. He helped the Skyhawks capture the Region 5 title and advance to state.

n Aaron Stemen, LaMoure: The 6-4 senior guard was pivotal in his team's run to the Region 3 championship game. Stemen had per-game averages of 18.5 points, 7.2 rebounds, 4 assists, 3.2 blocks and 3 steals.

n Sam Olson, Fargo Oak Grove: A 6-4 senior forward, Olson averaged 16.1 points, 9.1 rebounds and 2.4 steals per game. The Region 1 player of the year led the Grovers to sixth place at state.

n Harrison Weber, Central Cass: The tallest player on the all-state team at 6-7, the senior center helped the Squirrels to the Region 1 title game. Weber averaged 17.6 points, 8.6 rebounds and had 55 blocks.

n Garret Reineke, Thompson: The 6-1 senior guard averaged 21 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.6 assists. Reineke was instrumental in Thompson's run to the Region 2 championship game.

n Philip Schanilec, Midway-Minto: The all-state team's leading scorer and only non-senior, Schanilec (5-11) averaged 26.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.9 steals in his junior year.

n Zach Grothmann, Hillsboro: The 5-10 senior point guard had per-game averages of 19.1 points, 7.6 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 3.8 steals. Grothmann is a repeat all-state selection.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Re: All State Team

Postby Bulldogs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:58 am

Indy5 wrote:That is absolutely ridiculous that Roemmich didn't at least get a second team selection. What is wrong with the media. You can't tell me that Grothman or Morey or Friesen are legitimately better than Trent Roemmich. IMO he's a top 5 player and there is no way you can say he's out of the top 15.



I don't disagree with your assessment of Roemmich. High energy and athletic. However, I don't feel too sorry for him as he and his team got a state title out of the deal.

Probably not the best idea to single out other players that you feel aren't as deserving. :( I don't believe they need to bear the brunt of your criticism. I've seen 2 of the 3 you mentioned play and I know they are deserving, both by their effort and talent.
Bulldogs
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:05 am

Bulldogs wrote:
Indy5 wrote:That is absolutely ridiculous that Roemmich didn't at least get a second team selection. What is wrong with the media. You can't tell me that Grothman or Morey or Friesen are legitimately better than Trent Roemmich. IMO he's a top 5 player and there is no way you can say he's out of the top 15.



I don't disagree with your assessment of Roemmich. High energy and athletic. However, I don't feel too sorry for him as he and his team got a state title out of the deal.

Probably not the best idea to single out other players that you feel aren't as deserving. :( I don't believe they need to bear the brunt of your criticism. I've seen 2 of the 3 you mentioned play and I know they are deserving, both by their effort and talent.


Have you seen Trent play this year?
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: All State Team

Postby Bulldogs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:16 am

The Schwab wrote:
Bulldogs wrote:
Indy5 wrote:That is absolutely ridiculous that Roemmich didn't at least get a second team selection. What is wrong with the media. You can't tell me that Grothman or Morey or Friesen are legitimately better than Trent Roemmich. IMO he's a top 5 player and there is no way you can say he's out of the top 15.



I don't disagree with your assessment of Roemmich. High energy and athletic. However, I don't feel too sorry for him as he and his team got a state title out of the deal.

Probably not the best idea to single out other players that you feel aren't as deserving. :( I don't believe they need to bear the brunt of your criticism. I've seen 2 of the 3 you mentioned play and I know they are deserving, both by their effort and talent.


Have you seen Trent play this year?



Yes - Just twice. Again, no argument that he is an all-state player. I think any coach/fan would love to have him on their team.
Bulldogs
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:44 am

I do know why he isn't on the All State team. I just think the reason is rediculous. I guess I can't blame the media for having the same "feelings" as a certain high ranking member of the NDHSAA, when I overheard a conversation they had at state with a gentleman sitting behind me I really wish I would have introduced myself and added my two cents. Oh well, congrats to all of those who made it. It's a very great honor to be named to the All State team, so does this mean Schanilec is a clear cut favorite for Player of the year in class B next year?
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: All State Team

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 am

Trent was definately deserving.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby ALL DAY » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:08 am

What was trents stats?
User avatar
ALL DAY
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:42 am

Re: All State Team

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 am

ALL DAY wrote:What was trents stats?


I will be able to find them for you shortly, but in the 3 games he played against the class B mr. Bball finalist his team was 3 and 0, against TLM (singer) I believe he had 27. Against Randall in steele he had around 15 and in the District title game against Kidder he had 26.

I would say his stats were around 19 points, 7 boards, 4 assists and 2 steals. All of this while being the focus of the other teams game plan.

And as for the stats, Under Coach Carr in Linton no player has averaged over 20 points a game (Not even his son Kyle) who was the senior player of the year in 2005
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: All State Team

Postby basketballers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:45 am

I was very shocked to see that Brown from Center didnt make it on the all state team. He was a very solid player averaged 21 points a game and i believe 6 rebounds per game. I guess there are alot of solid players out there this year.
basketballers
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby basketballers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:01 am

I also wonder how the shrines game will turn out. Im kinda of curious about who will make the class b Shrine game. You guys got any input?
basketballers
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:03 am

basketballers wrote:I also wonder how the shrines game will turn out. Im kinda of curious about who will make the class b Shrine game. You guys got any input?


Do you mean the Lions all star game? I'm sure a couple of them will have offers for the Shrine football game. And you can only play in one, I would assume that Barton and Singer will play in the Shrine game.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: All State Team

Postby basketballers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 am

Yeah im talking about the lions all star game. It will be interesting to see if they are all they same all state players
basketballers
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby bus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 am

I think brandon chrest got screwed......he averaged more points and more rebounds than weber. Chrest's team finished better and chrest had 3x the number of blocks (160 compared to 55)!!!
Last edited by bus on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrusadeR
User avatar
bus
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: From Cavalier, Live in Grand Forks

Re: All State Team

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:10 pm

thats simply why I have never put much merit into this stuff...I remember my coach telling my older brother who never even made, 2end team all-state (averaged 32 points a game) 10 rebounds but didn't make it to regions. he told him "I wouldn't trade you for any player in the State" this stuff is all so superficial...its like hanging a deer head on the wall so you brag about it....I will tell my Kids "Individual awards in a team sport mean squat".
Last edited by winner-within on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: All State Team

Postby BIS84 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:44 pm

This is a total disgrace to Class B Basketball. Leaving Trent Roemmich out of the 1st and 2nd All State Team is a complete joke. ND Sportswriters need to get over it. Trent is actually probably the best pure athlete in Class B. What a shame that they would take something like this away from a deserving player like Trent all because of jeolousy. You expect teenagers to act this way, not adults for crying out loud. They should do their job and leave politics out of it. If you would ask each sports writer individually, they would probably all say he is one of the top 3 basketball players in our state. WHAT A JOKE!!!! OH AND DID I MENTION A DISGRACE???????
BIS84
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: All State Team

Postby q » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:06 pm

BIS84 wrote:This is a total disgrace to Class B Basketball. Leaving Trent Roemmich out of the 1st and 2nd All State Team is a complete joke. ND Sportswriters need to get over it. Trent is actually probably the best pure athlete in Class B. What a shame that they would take something like this away from a deserving player like Trent all because of jeolousy. You expect teenagers to act this way, not adults for crying out loud. They should do their job and leave politics out of it. If you would ask each sports writer individually, they would probably all say he is one of the top 3 basketball players in our state. WHAT A JOKE!!!! OH AND DID I MENTION A DISGRACE???????

No offense, but that blanket statement is impossible to back up.
q -- the only letter that does not appear in any US state name
q
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:48 am

Re: All State Team

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:17 pm

winner-within wrote:thats simply why I have never put much merit into this stuff...I remember my coach telling my older brother who never even made, 2end team all-state (averaged 32 points a game) 10 rebounds but didn't make it to regions. he told him "I wouldn't trade you for any player in the State" this stuff is all so superficial...its like hanging a deer head on the wall so you brag about it....I will tell my Kids "Individual awards in a team sport mean squat".


32 points a game and not make All-state? I have never heard of anyone averaging 32 points a game in the past 20 years in Class B North Dakota. Is this from another state? Scott Guldseth I dont think even averaged that many (although he could have if he wanted to).
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Re: All State Team

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:39 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
winner-within wrote:thats simply why I have never put much merit into this stuff...I remember my coach telling my older brother who never even made, 2end team all-state (averaged 32 points a game) 10 rebounds but didn't make it to regions. he told him "I wouldn't trade you for any player in the State" this stuff is all so superficial...its like hanging a deer head on the wall so you brag about it....I will tell my Kids "Individual awards in a team sport mean squat".


32 points a game and not make All-state? I have never heard of anyone averaging 32 points a game in the past 20 years in Class B North Dakota. Is this from another state? Scott Guldseth I dont think even averaged that many (although he could have if he wanted to).



In the Day...there were far to many teams and players to worry about points per game...he once sat down at half time with 36, didn't play in the second half...there was no ND Preps site.....you were known in your little area and if you didn't play for the big school you were nothing...we made our mark locally but nobody cared.... we had no track or football otherwise you would have seen big numbers there too..... Then and maybe then you might have heard..... :)
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

PreviousNext

Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests