Boys and Girls Class B Tourney swap

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Boys and Girls Class B Tourney swap

Postby collegeoverpros » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:33 pm

Interested on hearing everyones view on the Class B boys and girls tourneys being switched around. Do you think this will make attendence size go down? Will it influence you from not going or going to either tourney?
"The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team."--John Wooden
collegeoverpros
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Boys and Girls Class B Tourney swap

Postby Hinsa » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:46 pm

I believe the best situation was to have the Boys B tournament as the last tournament of the winter sports season. It is the biggest tournament with the biggest audience. Having any tournament after this makes it anti-climactic.

What they SHOULD have done was swap the girls volleyball and basketball seasons. Volleyball can run a more compressed season so having girls BB end in mid-November like it used to and then starting volleyball after that isn't such a problem. You can still have state volleyball before state B boys BB. Also, it seems like when the girls and boys both play basketball in the winter, girls basketball gets the short end of the attendance and attention.

But then maybe I'm just a neanderthal in my thinking...
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby KG4MVP » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:38 am

Dumb idea! Class B Boys state tourney puts a great capper on the end of the high school season...if it aint broke why fix it right?
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbjay » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:34 am

I don't think it will hurt attendance...people will go b/c it is still the best tournament. We want it to be the last b/c it is the "crown jewel" of ND basketball, but that's the fans. People will go, in fact, it may help the girls tournament if it is later. Maybe having the girls tournament over spring break will increase attendance. Just a thought.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:19 pm

I dont disagree with you HINSA, but to me, what SHOULD be done is switch everything back to the way it used to be. These elementary and junior high levels are getting killed because of no gym time available.
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:34 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:I dont disagree with you HINSA, but to me, what SHOULD be done is switch everything back to the way it used to be. These elementary and junior high levels are getting killed because of no gym time available.

doesnt elemtary play in the fall?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 pm

baseball wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:I dont disagree with you HINSA, but to me, what SHOULD be done is switch everything back to the way it used to be. These elementary and junior high levels are getting killed because of no gym time available.

Elementary boys do - but you still have girls VB going on as well as JH girls volleyball. Any way you slice it - its tough to get gym time for the younger kids - but I do agree they should go back to the way it was. I think the State Girls Tourny is really going to suffer - even more than it already has been in recent years. Check attendance - has gone down quite a bit since the seasons switched to the same season.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:54 pm

BB11 wrote:
baseball wrote:

Elementary boys do - but you still have girls VB going on as well as JH girls volleyball. Any way you slice it - its tough to get gym time for the younger kids - but I do agree they should go back to the way it was. I think the State Girls Tourny is really going to suffer - even more than it already has been in recent years. Check attendance - has gone down quite a bit since the seasons switched to the same season.

At Central Cass, elementary girls are playing now (but are almost done), elementary boys play in the spring, and JH girls started a couple of weeks ago with practices at 6:30am every morning! And we have 2 gyms but desperately need a third.

I do think the girls get the raw end of the deal by having their basketball season at the same time as the boys. There are only so many games you can go to in a week. It is fun to have double-headers though.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SCCconferenceinsider » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Here is the whole problem, the girls volleyball season should really start the same day that Football starts, and the regular season should end when the regular season of football ends. Then run your districts, Regionals, and State during the weekdays that football playoffs are going on,(Monday, Tues. and champtionship Thurs.) Saturdays for playoff football. Problem solved.
SCCconferenceinsider
NDPreps Starter

Postby homer » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:46 pm

ClassBEast wrote:
BB11 wrote:
baseball wrote:

At Central Cass, elementary girls are playing now (but are almost done), elementary boys play in the spring, and JH girls started a couple of weeks ago with practices at 6:30am every morning! And we have 2 gyms but desperately need a third.

I do think the girls get the raw end of the deal by having their basketball season at the same time as the boys. There are only so many games you can go to in a week. It is fun to have double-headers though.
what about the schools who only have one gym
homer
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:08 pm

that was an interesting statement made about one place doing bb in the spring. Simple solution for the younger teams. I never thought of that. I guess because I'm so use to bb being in the winter. Junior high has track in the spring, but if you start bb in late feb. early march you can run it till april and then they can make an easy transition to track or golf. Might have to propose this at my school.
bigpoppakdog

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:13 pm

most schools that have peewee wrestling don't have elem bb in the spring cuz that's when wrestling is.......our area has elem bbb in the fall and girls bb in the spring
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:00 pm

we are running varsity vb, junior high girls bb, elementary girls bb, elementary boys bb all at the same time during part of october and november. boys varsity bb wants gym time starting now also. I'll have 2 practices in November and both of them are in a gym that is built to 1/2 the size of a normal court. Really tough trying to get little kids to learn fundamentals under those circumstances. It would be nice to move elementary during the spring. we have our own seperate wrestling room so we would have access to the high school gym and the local auditorium gym. I suppose you would have to get the other schools in the area to do the same.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:41 am

In our area, the elem girls bball is run from Sept to mid-Oct, and then the elem boys go from mid-Oct to Thanksgiving. That way they are done and out of the way before jh and hs bball seasons start.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:02 pm

junior high girls starts in november also. Varsity girls started today. Volleyball ended last week. So for us the only way we could avoid 3 other sports is to go in the spring, but like I said the other schools in the district would have to do it also.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Rodgers4ever » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:37 pm

it really is a shame that they had to do this. the b boys tourney is the pinacle of north dakota bball. i know even for me i make time to watch the championship game cause its that special to see. im not taking anything away from the girls tourney here, but its gonna be anticlamatic and i dont know if this is suppose to help attendance or why they did this, but it is just wrong. Comin from a class a school i even have to say boys class b state is something special and SHOULD MARK THE END OF THE NORTH DAKOTA BASKETBALL SEASON, it just seems wrong to have it any other way
If their shooting at you, you're doing something right
Rodgers4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:13 pm

I think Class B the way us old timers know it, is dead. The season switch has absolutely killed N.D. Athletics. Cheerleading has also taken an extreme hit. Most schools don't even have them anymore and the ones that do are sometimes less than flattering. Parents who have a son and daughter in sports are now torn between travel and are posting details on a cell phone. I along with many, have bashed Dickinson Trinity and the other big city schools in class b now, while at the same time more and more schools are consolidating or shutting down. Now days you have all region athletes who wouldn't have been all district, but when so many teams go to regionals heck anybody has a shot at getting to state. I can't stand what has happened regarding switching of the seasons. It is absolutely the worst thing that has happened to north dakota sports. I wish the state would switch and pay off the lawsuits(if they would actually happen in ND sports??)
bigpoppakdog

Postby Deuce » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:I think Class B the way us old timers know it, is dead. The season switch has absolutely killed N.D. Athletics. Cheerleading has also taken an extreme hit. Most schools don't even have them anymore and the ones that do are sometimes less than flattering. Parents who have a son and daughter in sports are now torn between travel and are posting details on a cell phone. I along with many, have bashed Dickinson Trinity and the other big city schools in class b now, while at the same time more and more schools are consolidating or shutting down. Now days you have all region athletes who wouldn't have been all district, but when so many teams go to regionals heck anybody has a shot at getting to state. I can't stand what has happened regarding switching of the seasons. It is absolutely the worst thing that has happened to north dakota sports. I wish the state would switch and pay off the lawsuits(if they would actually happen in ND sports??)

I don't think the season switch is the cause but rather the talent and people drain that's been occurring in class B towns for the last 30 - 40 years because more people are getting college degrees. If you think about what happens after a class B person goes off to college and get their degree? They usually stay and get a job or move to another bigger town. It'd be less likely they'd return to their small class B town.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 pm

I don't think that the swap had anything to do with less talent. The swap has taken away the ability to enjoy winter sports due everybody playing at one time.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Deuce » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:51 pm

I was refering to "I think Class B the way us old timers know it, is dead." rather than the reason for the swap.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys