Best defense year in and year out

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best defense year in and year out

Postby JW_14 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:28 pm

what are everyones thoughts on the team that always seems to have good defenses? MPCG and Hillsboro both pride themselves and defending and hustling. any others??
JW_14
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Best defense year in and year out

Postby thechief » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:06 pm

In my opinion park river and grafton last year and this year will have a pretty solid defense if everyone stays healthy. Park river is known for their three quarter zone and Grafton plays hard in your face D but they also can switch it up.
thechief

Postby greatest » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:16 pm

I feel Dickinson Trinity should be mentioned in this discussion
The One and The Only, Quite Simply The GREATEST.
greatest
NDPreps Starter

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:07 pm

greatest wrote:I feel Dickinson Trinity should be mentioned in this discussion

I agree....because they haven't made the state tournament in previous years because of their offense!
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:22 pm

as much as I dislike trinity in class b, they have to be put towards the top if not the top this past decade.
bigpoppakdog

Postby project-pat » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:51 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:

I agree....because they haven't made the state tournament in previous years because of their offense!

They have made it with their offense..in a way..with their ability to sloooooow the pace of the game and force the other team to play way slower than they are used to..they have good clock management and refuse to rush things out on the court...if they are down 2 with 1:00 left in the game..they will take every second off that clock if they need to in order to get the right look at the basket..and that credit goes to Coach Grinsteiner and what a wonderful job he's done with this program!
I'm just a soul who's intentions are good..oh lord..please don't let me be missunderstood! What's understood ain't gotta be explained..but you don't understand me so let me explain..
project-pat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JW_14 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:17 pm

project-pat wrote:
tellmeaboutit wrote:

They have made it with their offense..in a way..with their ability to sloooooow the pace of the game and force the other team to play way slower than they are used to..they have good clock management and refuse to rush things out on the court...if they are down 2 with 1:00 left in the game..they will take every second off that clock if they need to in order to get the right look at the basket..and that credit goes to Coach Grinsteiner and what a wonderful job he's done with this program!

Im gonna agree with this one, although i think this is another reason why class b is in need of a shot clock.
JW_14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Claz B Fan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:51 pm

No No No! We do not need a shot clock it makes Class B that much better.. Anyone remember the Trinity and MPCG match up that game was awesome only 2 points in the first quarter I think. And if you go back to the 70's with Hillsboro and some other programs some of those games were like 20-15
No SHOT CLOCK!
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 pm

there are multiple topics about the shot clock...discuss it in there not in here
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby nativegolfer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Claz B Fan wrote:No No No! We do not need a shot clock it makes Class B that much better.. Anyone remember the Trinity and MPCG match up that game was awesome only 2 points in the first quarter I think. And if you go back to the 70's with Hillsboro and some other programs some of those games were like 20-15
No SHOT CLOCK!

That game was boring as heck! I haven't talked to one person who didn't think the same.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby tellmeaboutit » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:36 pm

nativegolfer wrote:
Claz B Fan wrote:No No No! We do not need a shot clock it makes Class B that much better.. Anyone remember the Trinity and MPCG match up that game was awesome only 2 points in the first quarter I think. And if you go back to the 70's with Hillsboro and some other programs some of those games were like 20-15
No SHOT CLOCK!

That game was boring as heck! I haven't talked to one person who didn't think the same.

I've talked to many who were at the game. The anticipation was mind-boggling! Even with the low score the last 2 minutes of that game were very exciting. (I was sitting in the MPCG section and I swear it seemed like they were all holding their breath).
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:25 pm

I see its once again time for the yearly shot clock discussion...
project-pat wrote:
tellmeaboutit wrote:

As much as I hate reading and actually agreeing with this I'm forced to. They take their time to find the perfect shot, and well, their press looks like its a major pain.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:28 am

The top defense in my book is Dickinson Trinity. The most intense defense could be facing Four Winds
in Regionals at a packed Devils Lake Sports Center cause their crowd pumps them up.
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:55 am

The west typically has not been known for playing a ton of D. That being said I think the standard for class B D is now Dickinson Trinity. They have been playing hard nosed team D for a number of years now. May-Port-C-G would have gotten my vote before their coaching change. Coach Nelson's teams always played great D. Others worth mention are Park River and Hillsboro. From what I have seen the south east doesn't play a ton of D with the exception of Lisbon. I don't know if that is the case year in and out with them.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:35 am

thechief wrote:In my opinion park river and grafton last year and this year will have a pretty solid defense if everyone stays healthy. Park river is known for their three quarter zone and Grafton plays hard in your face D but they also can switch it up.

Agreed, that 3 quarter zone was really tough when Justin Moe was there.
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:21 am

d_fense wrote:The west typically has not been known for playing a ton of D. That being said I think the standard for class B D is now Dickinson Trinity. They have been playing hard nosed team D for a number of years now. May-Port-C-G would have gotten my vote before their coaching change. Coach Nelson's teams always played great D. Others worth mention are Park River and Hillsboro. From what I have seen the south east doesn't play a ton of D with the exception of Lisbon. I don't know if that is the case year in and out with them.

I disagree. Hazen has been known for tough defense back in the 80's before trinity was class b and now all the west teams have learned how to play tough defense.
bigpoppakdog

Postby project-pat » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Back when Nic Zenker was coaching Bowman, they had a TOUGH defensive squad..comparable to Trinity for those 4 years IMO..in the 05-06 season (Zenker's Final Season), Trinity gave up around 42 points per game and the Bulldogs gave up 44..
I'm just a soul who's intentions are good..oh lord..please don't let me be missunderstood! What's understood ain't gotta be explained..but you don't understand me so let me explain..
project-pat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Beston51 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:31 pm

Bishop Ryan has had a solid d for a while now i don't know how good they'll be this year but they've had some good defensive teams in the past.
Beston51
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys