One or the Other

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

One or the Other

Postby baller01 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:01 pm

As it was brought up in another topic, why can't an athlete particpate in both the Shrine Football game and the Lion's All-Star Basketball game? Both games show off the top athletes in their respective sport but if an athlete is great in both sports, why shouldn't he be able to preform in both games?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: One or the Other

Postby Baller » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:12 pm

I completely agree. Also, the girls should be able to do both the Lions Basketball Game and Optimist Volleyball game.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby chevyman11 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:03 pm

baller01 wrote:As it was brought up in another topic, why can't an athlete particpate in both the Shrine Football game and the Lion's All-Star Basketball game? Both games show off the top athletes in their respective sport but if an athlete is great in both sports, why shouldn't he be able to preform in both games?

I agree. If an athlete has that much talent I believe he should be able to showcase it in both games, and not have to pick between which game to play in.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:06 pm

who are some guys that have the talent to play in both, off hand, i can think of Klinskie, Carpenter, Seth Nichols, Jamie Mauch, Seth Wisthoff, Austin Vetter.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby asiantangy99 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:57 pm

chevyman11 wrote:
baller01 wrote:As it was brought up in another topic, why can't an athlete particpate in both the Shrine Football game and the Lion's All-Star Basketball game? Both games show off the top athletes in their respective sport but if an athlete is great in both sports, why shouldn't he be able to preform in both games?

I agree. If an athlete has that much talent I believe he should be able to showcase it in both games, and not have to pick between which game to play in.

agree i really dont get the point of this rule either, thier are alot of tough athletes in both basketball and football they should be able to play in both to show off thier talent
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:57 pm

The point of the rule is to provide the opportunity for more top caliber athletes to participate in these honors type events.

You can agree or disagree wiht it, but that's the philosophy.

Personally, I agree with it. Share the honors.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:07 pm

I don't agree with it. If you're better then another guy then thats that and you should be allowed to play no matter if your the best in two sports. And don't you want the best of the best in ALL sports to play?
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Hinsa wrote:The point of the rule is to provide the opportunity for more top caliber athletes to participate in these honors type events.

That is like saying you can't be All-State in basketball and a Mr.Donalds All-American. If you deserve it, you should get it. If you deserve to play in both games, you should be able to play in both.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:01 pm

baller01 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:The point of the rule is to provide the opportunity for more top caliber athletes to participate in these honors type events.

That is like saying you can't be All-State in basketball and a Mr.Donalds All-American. If you deserve it, you should get it. If you deserve to play in both games, you should be able to play in both.

i thought it was more like Wild Wolves theory about getting more a chance to play. if someone works harder then you and is better, they get the rewards
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:55 pm

baller01 wrote:

That is nothing like saying you can't be All-State in basketball and a McDonald's All-American. If someone is a McDonald's All-American there is a very good chance you are all-state in the same sport. I believe the games are played during the same week, could be wrong though. So the coaches of both teams probably want the guys that are going to be playing for them there the whole week of practice.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:28 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
baller01 wrote:

That is nothing like saying you can't be All-State in basketball and a McDonald's All-American. If someone is a McDonald's All-American there is a very good chance you are all-state in the same sport. I believe the games are played during the same week, could be wrong though. So the coaches of both teams probably want the guys that are going to be playing for them there the whole week of practice.

What I meant by it is that, just like not allowing a kid to play in both to spread the wealth, saying a kid can't be all-state because he was McDonalds All-American to give another kid a chance at all-state.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:13 pm

baller01 wrote:
baller01 wrote:

What I meant by it is that, just like not allowing a kid to play in both to spread the wealth, saying a kid can't be all-state because he was McDonalds All-American to give another kid a chance at all-state.

Oh ok, well that makes sense. I think each year they should just ask the coaches of both teams if it's ok for the players to do both if they want to play in both.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:26 pm

i dont think the coaches should decide if hte player gets to play in both. if hes good enough to be nominated for both, it should be his choice and his alone for which one he plays in and if he wants to play in both
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:25 pm

baseball wrote:i dont think the coaches should decide if hte player gets to play in both. if hes good enough to be nominated for both, it should be his choice and his alone for which one he plays in and if he wants to play in both

I mean if its OK with the coach for that player to miss practice because he's doing something for the other game.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:15 pm

When are both games played this year?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:26 pm

baseball wrote:i dont think the coaches should decide if hte player gets to play in both. if hes good enough to be nominated for both, it should be his choice and his alone for which one he plays in and if he wants to play in both

I mean if its OK with the coach for that player to miss practice because he's doing something for the other game.

I think they should move the games a week apart then, so that the deserving athletes get to play in both.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby asiantangy99 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:23 pm

chevyman11 wrote:I don't agree with it. If you're better then another guy then thats that and you should be allowed to play no matter if your the best in two sports. And don't you want the best of the best in ALL sports to play?

ya definatly why cant they play in both if they are better then other players in that sport, if your the best in 2 sports you shouldnt have to spread the wealth
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 pm

You've got to keep in mind who runs these all star games. They are run by charity organizations that want to honor as many different top athletes as possible. Thus the rule that athletes must choose which game to play in.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby chevyman11 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Hinsa wrote:You've got to keep in mind who runs these all star games. They are run by charity organizations that want to honor as many different top athletes as possible. Thus the rule that athletes must choose which game to play in.

Yea you make a good point but I still believe that it should be the complete TOP athletes in the sport and if they're just that good, well then they should get the honors, but I do see where you're coming from.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby asiantangy99 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:13 pm

chevyman11 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:You've got to keep in mind who runs these all star games. They are run by charity organizations that want to honor as many different top athletes as possible. Thus the rule that athletes must choose which game to play in.

Yea you make a good point but I still believe that it should be the complete TOP athletes in the sport and if they're just that good, well then they should get the honors, but I do see where you're coming from.

ya i think that the athlete should be able to play in both but if he doesnt want to go to both then thier is someone to back him up and go
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys