when the head coach changes

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

when the head coach changes

Postby milton-meteor » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:56 pm

can a different coach make that much differnce with the same bunch??
do you have a story?
milton-meteor

Re: when the head coach changes

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:02 pm

i tihnk it all has to do with the reputation of the coach. for example, when Mark Sand took over the girls team at Steele they were like 4-15 or somethin the year before him, and his first year he took them to the regional semifinals. i think if the new coach has a reputation of knowing basketball its easier for him/her to get the players to buy into his philosophy. if its someones first head coaching job, even if he knows everything there is to know, it will be harder for him to get the players to play his way.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsguy2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:13 pm

baseball wrote:i tihnk it all has to do with the reputation of the coach. for example, when Mark Sand took over the girls team at Steele they were like 4-15 or somethin the year before him, and his first year he took them to the regional semifinals. i think if the new coach has a reputation of knowing basketball its easier for him/her to get the players to buy into his philosophy. if its someones first head coaching job, even if he knows everything there is to know, it will be harder for him to get the players to play his way.

i played for a first time coach my senior year and everything was fine....it all depends on how much his philosophy differed from the previous guy and what kind of players you have...and if its a first year coach the players need to show the same respect as they would to a 20 year coaching vet and not think in your head that its his first go round
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 pm

that is all true but i was talking about a change more so when the first coach likes to run and gun and then the new guy comes in and likes the half court set. them are 2 totally different styles and the kids will often find themselvs doing what the first coach liked sometimes more then the new coach. true the respect should still be there but thats during practice. during the game they will have more instincts take over and until the new coach gets them to buy into his philsophy, run and gun will be their instinct.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Ok, dumb post
Sure they can!!
milton-meteor

Postby sportsguy2 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:18 am

milton-meteor wrote:Ok, dumb post
Sure they can!!

its not dumb....it all depends on the players and if they are willing to accept the new philosephys and if it is possible to adjust
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:53 am

In most cases, a new coach makes less difference then most people think. Especially at this level...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:14 am

scruffy wrote:In most cases, a new coach makes less difference then most people think. Especially at this level...

I think it is hard for a new coach to make an immediate impact...but the impact comes 2-3 years down the road when his philosophy has been implemented with the younger talent coming up through the lower grades.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scruffy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:57 am

Baller wrote:
scruffy wrote:In most cases, a new coach makes less difference then most people think. Especially at this level...

I think it is hard for a new coach to make an immediate impact...but the impact comes 2-3 years down the road when his philosophy has been implemented with the younger talent coming up through the lower grades.

And.....the new coach has to have people in the elementary and junior high levels implementing his scheme. Todays most successful programs have varsity players who've played under the same system since day one.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:02 am

scruffy wrote:
Baller wrote:

And.....the new coach has to have people in the elementary and junior high levels implementing his scheme. Todays most successful programs have varsity players who've played under the same system since day one.

Not even necessarily former players but the coaches need to communicate with the junior coaches and tell them what they want taught. There are a lot of unsuccessful programs becuase the Head coach does not view the lower levels as his responsibility and therefore each coach is teaching something different instead of having comminication throughout the entire system as to what should be taught.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby busch3434 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:38 am

a new coach can make a fairly large difference....IF the kids buy into their system and put forth the effort. My freshman and sophomore years we had one coach that lead us to Regions for the first time in 30 years i want to say, all because we respected him and wanted to play for him. My junior and senior years were much different. We ended up winning 7 games my junior year because he played favorites, and yes i know alot of coaches do..but when you are winning a game at half by not using your starters and go back to the starters and lose by 16, thats the sign of a horrible coach. And he did it my senior year as well. We ended up in regions again that year, however we were playing for ourselves, not him. We had a group of 8 seniors and were a deep team. But a coach is only good if he has the ability to connect with his/her players.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:21 am

busch3434, I hear you, but remember good horses are generally what makes a good jockey... :lol:
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby busch3434 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:17 am

true....but a coach can only tell the team what to do, he can't execute the play.....you should be able to take a team with one talented player and role players running the flex offense all night and win, but it depends on how the PLAYERS run the offense, not the coach. but i will say if the coach changes and the kids like him and RESPECTS him, chances are they will have a good season. If it is the opposite, they probably won't. So, how much fight does the horse have in him?? well, with seabiscuit, just as much fight as the jockey can put into him.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:35 am

busch3434 wrote:true....but a coach can only tell the team what to do, he can't execute the play.....you should be able to take a team with one talented player and role players running the flex offense all night and win, but it depends on how the PLAYERS run the offense, not the coach. but i will say if the coach changes and the kids like him and RESPECTS him, chances are they will have a good season. If it is the opposite, they probably won't. So, how much fight does the horse have in him?? well, with seabiscuit, just as much fight as the jockey can put into him.

thats alot like what happened my senior year. the coach put 5 players on the court and we just played. we had an all-state gaurd to tun the point and evrything, a spot up shooter the stretch the defense, and all-district post, a slasher who was always in the right place at the right time, and a kid who couldnt care less if he scored a point as long as the guy he was gaurding didnt score. thats the reason we were successful. athletic kids who knew their roles and limits. alot of high school kids try to do too much, your much better if you just do what your capable of and if something needs to be done, find the guy who is capable to do that specific job. the team i played on was 6 deep and the 6th man was mainly used when there was foul trouble. come in, ate up some minutes, again just did his job and didnt try to take over the game. the biggest part of coaching is defining the roles for the players and setting up the offense to compliment all the roles. my senior year we didnt have an offense really. all state guy would run the game, one player roaming around the 3 point line, 1 player who mainly set screens and attempted maybe 4 shots a game. a guy who cut through the lane look for a mistake on defense, and a guy who would battle to get position on the block.

as for the high school coach should talk to the junior high coach and grade school to try to get his game plan in their offense, i disagree. if he really wants to be successful he should still talk to the jr high coach, but not to get his offense put in, but instead have the coach tell him the players strengths so he can form a game plan to compliment the players abilities. if you want to run you need fast players and you cant take fast players and expect them to play half court the whole game. if your team in generally not as athletic as years past your going to want to slow it down and make the game as low scoring as possible. not go to a jr high game and tell the coach i want these generally unathletic kids to run and gun because thats what they will do for me. go to the game and think of an offense to succeed with the players instead of thinking which players to put in your scheme
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rocky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:48 am

[quote="busch3434"]you should be able to take a team with one talented player and role players running the flex offense all night and win

Hahahaha you have to be kidding me. I guess defense, rebounding, hustle, hard work, conditioning, taking care of the ball, and every other skill coaches stress has nothing to do with it, its all about the flex and having a star
Rocky
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:03 am

not to metion the flex is the most worthless offense ever. find me one kid on the high school level who couldnt stop that and he shouldnt be playing. its the offense every team in the country knows. screen down pop up. screen cross, screen down pop up....over and over and over again. i agree with the not every player has to be the most talented to succeed but not with the flex. the most talented team could lose every game if flex was their only offense
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:17 am

The flex offense can be very effective if the team running it executes well, has patience and is disciplined....Most high school teams execution becomes lax and they lack the poise to remain disciplined.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:07 pm

I agree that the flex can be very effective. There are things you can do to defeat anything a man to man defense tries to take away from the flex. The key is the screens - set good screens, pin, and roll and someone will be open.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:01 pm

When I was in high school we ran the flex to death.....and absolutely embarrassed other teams defense with it. Every team we played knew what we were going to run, but they couldn't stop it. Our coach did a great job of teaching us how to read the defense and make the right adjustments on cuts and screens to get the open looks. Honestly, not one team we played shut our flex down. The only time we ever ran a different man offense was in the semifinal game of state that year against MPCG. We had practiced an offense all season but never showed it to anyone in a game until that night....completely took MPCG by surprise on back door cuts and layups agains their deny the wing man to man defense.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:15 pm

if you run the flex the right way and have patience it will either get you a lay-up or an open elbow jumper every time.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby busch3434 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:21 am

Rocky, the reason for the star it will force the defense to double up on that player when he is in a certain position in the offense, leaving one man wide open. Also yes, all the little things such as screens, cutting, passing and shooting all are part of the flex. But it's all how you do those things that makes the offense successful. One comment that was also said about getting lax, the chances of that happening on defense is much more possible than losing it on offense. Tell me how many people want to play defense? Yes, every team knows that offense but if those little things are done well, no defender in the world will stop it. My best example of simple things winning games. The Detroit Pistons a few years ago. Larry Brown brought in one staple....PICK-N-ROLL... and they win the NBA championship. So, something that everybody can run but it still can't be stopped. So don't tell me that just because every team knows an offense that it means they will win because they know the oppositions offense.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys