Best Class B Team Not To Win State.

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Class B Team Not To Win State.

Postby heimer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Those teams from Valley City with the Terry's, and the one with Boschee, and......

Wait.......
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Blackheart » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:37 pm

who was their coach?...was it the same coach for years?...Wow! that's an impressive story line during an era when making it to state was a huge challenge (much harder than today)....it also shows that in the midst of 3-class talk we are much closer to go to 1 class then 3.

Scott Halvorson coached the Ratllers in 84-85 according to my old Hoopster book. I would imagine he was there in 86 and 87 as well.
Blackheart
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4mrnative » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:59 pm

I've not been back to visit for a while...can't say I've missed the vitriole that some folks espouse.
This ought to get the Cando/NS antagonists going...and there are a fair number...
I can't remember the year....Todd Trudel was a senior...Cando was undefeated and ranked 1st all year in the polls. They lost to a great Edmore team that went on to state and if I recall, lost in a close final to Divide County.
I was at the Cando/NB final that's been talked about at length...great game...it was a game of runs...I honestly felt like Cando played a group of 6 that tournament but went much deeper. Was always curious to know what might have happened late in that game had those starters gotten a breather throughout that game...not saying the outcome would have been different, but they ran out of gas.
A couple of tangents....NB was represented as the Cinderella team...which I've always found fascinating. If you combined the size of the towns and the enrollments...it wasn't Cando that was the the larger.
Finally, my love for Class B blossomed the year that Wolford (maybe the smallest town/school in ND with one of the richest basketball histories?) played Casselton in the B finals. That goes way back...but what a great match-up and final that was.
Just some random musings from an ole fan....
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby West Dakota » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 am

winner-within wrote:
shilohskyhawk wrote:It was the 1986 GU rattlers 23-1 lost to belfield 74-72 in regional Championship. Beat Mandan and Bismarck St. Marys that season both qualified for State A.
Kevin Gerving - all state
Doug Gerving All state
Corey Wilhelm All state
Jeff Meissner - played at UND W
and a host of others that filled the 5 hole.
In 1987 The Rattlers made it to state and lost to eventual champ Mayport in 1st round at the buzzer. That team beat then Class A grafton by 14 (Herbel, Krajewski(LSU), Jacobson) that finished third at the state class A.
Starters were the same with exception of K. Gerving. All totaled for those 2 years 49-2.
Glen Ullin did go to state in 1984 and finished 4th with a lesser team than these. All totaled 1983-1991 GU had 9 straight district Champs (state record) 3 regional champs and 6 regional champ appearances not a bad run when regions had alot more teams in them at the time. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

who was their coach?...was it the same coach for years?...Wow! that's an impressive story line during an era when making it to state was a huge challenge (much harder than today)....it also shows that in the midst of 3-class talk we are much closer to go to 1 class then 3.

Yes it was the same coaches.
Scott Halvorson and Doug Schmit, "great coaches!" I played for both of them 84-87. We had great fan support as well, it was a fun time to be a rattler that's for sure! That Belfield game at the regional championship game in 86 was one heck of a game. In 86 and 87 we were ranked #1 through both regular seasons and undefeated. Rog Higgins and kfyr news was at our school and games quite a bit. Allot of good players went through that program in the 80s that's for sure. Good memories...
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys