Best Class B Team Not To Win State.

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Class B Team Not To Win State.

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:07 pm

1983 milton-osnabrock mustangs, played all season with six players (who played), Two Carrier's (pronounced Coyyer, brothers) two Eaglesons (Cousins) Gustafson, Ashpole, all from Milton, 2end year coach Lyle Kruger (harvey nd, first coaching job, out of Valley City, played 4 years football) played districts in Cavalier, nd lost to Cavalier by 1 point in overtime Cavalier and Walhalla went to the regions (two teams went then) both lost fist round.
Beat Lankin two times that year and Lankin (year before merge with Adams) lost to Munich by around 6 points or so in the Regional finals Munich went on to state and did great.

wasnt an undeafeated team in the state Class B or A , any given night may have been a different outcome

they were not the "best team that never won state" but that particular year may have had an argument!!
milton-meteor

Postby Hunterlaf » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:03 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:1990 Dunseith Dragons.

my uncle played on that team
and my Grandpa was the coach for that team that lost to edgely by three wasnt it?
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bradyg » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:29 pm

My dad played for Hankinson in 1979. They beat Sargent Central, who won state that year, all three times that they played them, including the district championship. They ran into a hot shooting team in the Region Semi-Finals, and lost on a last second shot in double overtime. I would also vote for them.
bradyg

Postby USC4life » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:18 pm

eyeinthesky wrote:Mohall in 1994 was a quality team that did not make it to State. Bishop Ryan beat them in the region final. Bishop Ryan ended up walking through the state tournament to the title that year. Dustin Unlin the 1994 Mr. Basketball played for Mohall.

If I remember correctly Unlin was ill around tournament time but did play. If not for Bishop Ryan in '94 Mohall would have been your state champions.

Bishop Ryan didn't beat mohall in regional final, mohall lost first round that year to Trenton. Undlin was sick and didn't play and they got upset first round. Bishop Ryan beat the best team to never win state, Grenora. In Hunter bergs soph/jun/sen year, they lost three games, region final to dlb who took second at state, Ryan, who won state and they lost state title game to carrington in 95. that team got more out of a practice than some of the games they played and region 8 back then was the strongest region in the state
USC4life

Postby number33 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:22 am

Hunterlaf wrote:
GoodO'LBoy wrote:1990 Dunseith Dragons.

my uncle played on that team
and my Grandpa was the coach for that team that lost to edgely by three wasnt it?

Dunseith's Coach Kevin St.Claire was on that team and so was Danny Peltier of Dunseith they were pretty good.
number33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby triplebbb » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:10 am

Nobody has mentioned the Watford City team in 92. Undefeated state champs in 91. Undefeated and ranked co-number one with Munich and Marty McDonald. Had to play each other in the first round. Fred Fridley had a pretty bad game for him and Munich won. WC went on to get 5th in two blowout games in the consolation round. Something like a 52? game winning streak. Pretty impressive. Munich beat Leeds Wolford for the championship and Hillsboro beat Napolean for 3rd. Fun tourney...the Dome was packed for the first day games and all 3 nights.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:54 am

I think that tournament was one of the best state class B's of all time. The talent level of that tournament was just amazing.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby shooter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:10 pm

I saw someone mentioned Edinburg in 88 earlier. Besides Guldseth though, they were a pretty average team weren't they? I was from out west back then and only saw them at the tourney. They did beat a real good Divide County team and an Ed Beyer Hillsboro team, so.....couldn't have been just a one man show.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:12 am

sportsguy2 wrote:LMM in 2000

Played against this team. They beat us by 57. We were horrible.

They returned their starting 5 from a year before when they went to state. They were #1 all season and undefeated going into the state tournament. I think 4 of their starters were 6'3" or taller and Gross their PG was 6' IIRC. I really thought they choked at state (am I allowed to say that? they're grown men now they can handle it). They lost to a 13-11 Minot Ryan team in the first round. Minot Ryan took 2nd that year so its hard to say LMM is the best team not to win state. I don't doubt they tanked the rest of the tournament after losing to Ryan.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby tommykramer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I think that tournament was one of the best state class B's of all time. The talent level of that tournament was just amazing.

There are a couple of people that I'll probably miss but off the top of my head here is some names from the 92 state B that went on to college athletics, feel free to add to it.
#1 Munich
Justin Fletschock - 4 yrs NDSU baseball - long career for Redhawks and a top 50 athlete according to SI.
Schomer - 2 yrs basketball - UND Williston
Jon Wirth - I believe 2 years Williston, 2 years Dickinson basketball - Led NDCAC in scoring
Chris Wirth - 2 years basketball Lake Region
Marty Mcdonald - Mr. Basketball, 4 years baseball Jamestown

#2 Leeds
Erik Engstrom - 4 years Basketball Jamestown
Derik Hochstetler - 2 years Basketball Lake Region
Jason Hogenson - 4 years baseball Jamestown

#3 Hillsboro
Kris Brekken - 2 years Crookston basketball
Bryan Ambuehl - 2 years Crookston basketball
Doug Flieth - 2 years football Valley City
Lee Alfson - 2 years football Northland

#4 Napoleon
Shane Piatz - 4 years basketball Jamestown - NDCAC Senior Athlete of the year
Shawn Sperle - 3 years baseball NDSU
Gader - College Football Somewhere (help me out on this one)
Brian Hoff - 4 years football U of Mary
Peterson - ???

#5 Watford City
Howdy Lawler - 3 years football NDSU
Fred Fridley - 2 years Williston 2 years NDSU basketball

I know there are more on the teams mentioned feel free to ad, I'm not sure how the last 3 teams finished but I know there are some notable athletes in that list as well. Des Lacs, Shane Richeson 2 years football NDSU, Holen 4 years basketball ?, Elliot Veazy Minot football?, Deardruff basketball at a Christian College. Lamoure Warcken Valley City football.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Wow, that is pretty impressive. How did you put together that whole list?? Jason Haagenson also played 4 years of fball at Jamestown and was a Mr Bball finalist. Leeds had Jeremy Wolf that played a couple years of fball at Dickinson I believe. Fred Fridley was another Mr Bball finalist that year as well. Something else that I've pointed out in another post is that McDonald, Haagenson, and Fridley all scored over 2000 pts in their career....pretty impressive considering there are less than 10 total that have done that in the history of ND bball.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsfan10 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:09 pm

asiantangy99 wrote:
bradyg wrote:That 27-1 team that New Rockford had was in 2004. They lost to Trinity who then beat Milnor in the Championship game. New Rockford won it all in 2005 against the Braves.

Ya that was definitely a great team. They went to state 3 years in a row taking 6th, 5th and its nice to know that they finally made it to the top in 2005 in one of the best State Class B Boys Basketball Championships ever.

Yeah I was there for that whole tournament. I know that going into it, NR-S fans were playing Linton in the first round in 2005. That was the most nervewracking game for NR-S fans ever. Until the Bottineau game. I remember the crowd's reaction to Evan Bennefeld making that floater on the sideline with less than 5 to go in the 4th quarter. The NRS side was pandemonium. The Bottineau side was pure silence. Then when Michael Cudworth hit that amazing, picturesque 10 footer from the elbow, at the buzzer in the 2nd overtime, no less, everybody went crazy. That was the most amazing sports experience in my life.
sportsfan10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby punisher_47 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:16 am

2001 surrey mustangs. They had some of the most impressive players i have seen. Jeremy feller played for surrey that year and lead the state in field goal % and went to MSU to win the DAC 10 tournament for the beavers.they lost to the undefeated Cando in the semi finals that year who lost their first game to the North border eagles in the championship.
punisher_47

Postby thatguy422 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 pm

punisher_47 wrote:2001 surrey mustangs. They had some of the most impressive players i have seen. Jeremy feller played for surrey that year and lead the state in field goal % and went to MSU to win the DAC 10 tournament for the beavers.they lost to the undefeated Cando in the semi finals that year who lost their first game to the North border eagles in the championship.

They had three guys around 6'5 didn't they? Jeremy Feller, Andy Petras, Jamie Magnuson.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dtrain » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:33 pm

I believe in 1979 The Hankinson Pirates beat Sargent Central at least twice. The Cadets from Forman eventually went on to win the state title. I think they were consolation champs the previous year. I would say Hankinson for sure. That Sargent Central team in my opinion was one of the best ever and the Pirates beat them twice in one season. I forget who beat the Pirates in the regionals,Sorry along time ago. I would love to see the 76 Lamoure team play the 79 sargent central team.
Last edited by dtrain on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dtrain
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bigballer55 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:58 pm

the 1998 leeds team was pretty great they dominated everyone until they lost in the the championship game to standing rock and they were an extremely deep and well coached team then the 2002 sheyenne minnewauken team they only went six deep but they were a very solid team offensively and defesively and only averaged 6 turnovers a game that year finish 23-2 loosing too wells county in the region championship by alot they had beat that team twice before that night and the other lose was to fordville-lankin and i would have to agree with the 2004 new rockford team they were loaded and were the best team that year a couple of bone headed plays in the second half against trinity in that first round game at state cost them that one
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
bigballer55
NDPreps Starter

Postby mtbaseball88 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:32 pm

thatguy422 wrote:
punisher_47 wrote:2001 surrey mustangs. They had some of the most impressive players i have seen. Jeremy feller played for surrey that year and lead the state in field goal % and went to MSU to win the DAC 10 tournament for the beavers.they lost to the undefeated Cando in the semi finals that year who lost their first game to the North border eagles in the championship.

They had three guys around 6'5 didn't they? Jeremy Feller, Andy Petras, Jamie Magnuson.

idk? your from surrey so you should know shouldn't you??
mtbaseball88
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thatguy422 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:18 pm

mtbaseball88 wrote:
thatguy422 wrote:

idk? your from surrey so you should know shouldn't you??

I'm not sure on the height of Jamie Magnuson. I know Feller and Petras were both at least 6'5. I was pretty young back then, didn't pay much attention to the heights of the basketball players.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDBUD84 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:21 am

when may-port went on their run in the second half of the 90's, any team in the district could have gone on the win state. hatton, hillsboro, griggs county, larimore, finley sharon, central valley all had probably the best teams ive seen them have, escpecially hillsboro, its just that may-port was so dominating. thompson is in that district too, but i think they had the best talent that just couldnt make it to state in 02. from about 95-04 i would say district 3 was the toughest district to get out of and region 2 was the toughest region to get out of, so there were always alot of teams that could have easily gone on the win state that just couldnt get passed their tougher than average competion.
NDBUD84
NDPreps Rookie

Postby eagle » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:32 pm

Undefeated New Town got beat by undefeated Lamoure in the state championship in 1976 I think
eagle
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:24 am

eagle wrote:Undefeated New Town got beat by undefeated Lamoure in the state championship in 1976 I think

ya...by 30
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Cando in 2001

NB, Fordville, Thompson in 2002

Cavalier in 2004

Hillsboro in 2005

MPCG in 2006

NB in 2007 (haters welcome)
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby upthecreek » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:30 pm

I was reading on here earlier about Hankinson and Sargent Central back in 1979..........Hankinson beat the Cadets 2 times that year.....one time in the regular season and once in the District 1 finals.........if memory serves me correct both games were one point victories for the Pirates........at least I know the District game was....then in the Region Semis Hankinson lost to Kindred then the Cadets beat them in the finals to then go onto the state tournament where they won it all.........
upthecreek

Postby roison33 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Tolna in '95, they returned three or four starters, including their 2 best players from runner-up finish to undefeated Minot Ryan the year before: Scott Hanson (Mr BB Finalist, lost to Hunter Berg) and Kevin Forde. Hanson injured his ankle before regionals and wasn't 100%. They lost in the first round to Wing-Tuttle and some guy (Wolff???) had like 7 3-pointers.

Carrington was in that region and won state over Grenora in championship that year. Carrington ended up undefeated against all Class B teams that year, including a convincing win at Carrington over Tolna to open the season. All three of these teams, I believe, could have won state many other years.

People think highly of '02 Thompson. Very impressive and FAST offense and press, but I thought they had bad half-court defense. They would have had trouble with a team with a good PG and slowed the game down. NB and Fordville-Lankin would have had better shots at winning state that year.
roison33
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDBUD84 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:03 pm

who did thompson beat in the regions to get to the championship game against mayport in 02?
NDBUD84
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Boys